Microsoft announce price hike for Live Gold. Update:Reversed

15 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

It's probably more to do with your *slightly* overly hyperbolic rants over many years regarding Sony in text form, if nothing else. To be honest - none of them are perfect.

I've personally played videogames over voice chat with @Uncle Mike and he's a good egg in person. I can confirm he's definitely not a cunt.

You are of course correct, there is plenty I dislike about Microsoft and Xbox machines and the PS4 is one of my favourite machines despite all the things that wind me up about it because it hosted some of my fave games and I’ve genuinely had some of the best gaming moments of my life on it, I also think the machine and the UI is flaky as hell and I don’t mind shouting about all that, as you know!

Im sure @Uncle Mike is a good egg but he has for years had digs at me and frankly I’m trying to get over one of the hardest periods in my life, I have many issues at the moment and each one of them vastly more important than console fanboy bickering and the last thing I need is some dick on a forum taking the piss esp one who generally has a good reputation on here and seems a sound poster outside the years of jibes aimed at me.

7 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

The quality is fine. Obviously it's not the liquid gold being poured into my ears when strangers are calling me homophobic slurs on Xbox, but at no point have I ever noticed a dip in quality of the homophobic slurs on my PS5. I also much prefer the party system on Playstation. Consistent parties cuts out the faff for those of us who tend to play with the same people/groups every time. 

It is of course fine on PlayStation it’s just I find it better on Xbox - for balance the quality and frequency of salty messages from slain online opponents has been nowhere near as good since my return to Xbox than the years on PlayStation!

3 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

My last Microsoft console was an Xbox 360. :shrug emoji:

Hide contents

I did catch up on the things I missed on PC, mind.

Yeah Microsoft put out some bangers on PC recently, with Word and Teams. Gotta catch ‘em rewards points.

1 minute ago, layten said:

Sony going in hot with their Chatbot giving away PSN accounts shenanigans

And twice now, too, just on here this year to date. (Once for someone that wanted them to, and once obviously not.) I don't think I'm comfortable knowing that unlocking 2FA can be authorised by a chatbot at all.

20 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

It was all a ploy to get people to top up their Gold subscriptions for a few years.

:D It wouldn't surprise me and get more people to convert those subs to GPU. :D

On 23/01/2021 at 08:25, Majora said:

They promote converting your existing gold/Gamepass subs to GPU for a £1, I'm not sure they expected people en masse to buy 3 years of cheap gold upfront, convert to GPU for £1, then when that ran out buy another 3 years of cheap gold and convert it to GPU again (this time the conversion is £10.99 I think).

Microsoft want as many people on GPU as possible but ultimately they want you paying £10.99 a month not £3 a month. They need to phase it out somehow either by getting rid of the 1:1 conversion (at the very least after people have used it once) or upping the price of Gold. I suspect they chose the latter and it backfired so I personally don't think the 1:1 conversion will be long for this world. They'll wait a while after this palaver though.

Long term, I've got no doubt that they want everyone paying full price. But Microsoft were promoting the trick as a "lifehack" on their official news page. And it makes perfect sense to get people locked in ahead of a transition to new consoles.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/07/17/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-xbox-game-pass-ultimate/

I'm hoping that someone with a reliable track record reporting on Microsoft, like a Brad Sams or Tom Warren, is able to do a story explaining why the higher ups in the Xbox division thought this price hike was a good idea. 

Going back to last autumn it genuinely looked like they were moving towards the idea of ditching Gold entirely. Announcing Halo multiplayer as free to play,adding EA Play and Game streaming to Ultimate, the recent rumour about them adding Uplay, it all seemed like the sort of thing you'd do if you were planning to kill off Gold but still wanted to have good reasons for a console owner to go with Ultimate over regular GamePass. 

They've largely managed to repair their reputation since the Xboxones awful launch by establishing the idea of GamePass being the best deal in gaming and the main reason to buy an Xbox over a different console. Doubling the price of Gold goes against all their messaging of gaming being for everyone blah de blah blah. 

11 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm sorry if I upset you Shimmy. It does get a little repetitive reading your hyperbole, but I just assumed you always knew you were being OTT and/or exaggerating. It certainly wasn't my intention to actually upset you. Apologies.

Thanks, I am self aware enough to know that occasionally i dip into hyperbole ;) however it’s meant in good humour and hopefully with a point not lost within - I’m not in a good place to it hit me harder than normal - I’m sure you’re a fine fella.

20 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Thanks, I am self aware enough to know that occasionally i dip into hyperbole ;) however it’s meant in good humour and hopefully with a point not lost within - I’m not in a good place to it hit me harder than normal - I’m sure you’re a fine fella.

Why what’s the matter? 

38 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Not sure this is the right thread but... my partner had a miscarriage in December having had a month of hospital visits with hope given on each one until the final visit, this has been mentally and physically crushing for my partner (and me but it’s different for men) who of course can not see any family or friends so it’s been a hard time for us both inc a funeral just before Christmas. Add onto that I’m waiting on a divorce before we can buy a house with my eldest child not having a good time but blocking me out and the cherry on top was having to go to court last week (as a witness) for something that happened in 2019 and was far more stressful than I thought it would be - taking the stand is an odd experience.

As you can imagine having my view on PS4 chat called in to question is up there ;)

Sorry,  it the thread for this but I’ve not been able to type it out before and may delete it yet.

Sorry to hear that, sometimes it’s good to say things, even on here.

55 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Sorry to hear that, sometimes it’s good to say things, even on here.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Sorry to read all that Shimmy. :hug:

Thanks, it was cathartic writing it out.

Anyway, back to those arseholes at Microsoft!

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Thanks, it was cathartic writing it out.

Anyway, back to those arseholes at Microsoft!

Sorry to hear what you went through. Writing it all out often helps and for what it's worth, when I went through an horrible time myself it helped going into the mental health thread in offtopic and write everything out there. Not that you shouldn't do it here, it's all good, but there you might find more people who know what to say/went through something similar and it's only accessible for members.

6 hours ago, bear said:

I'm hoping that someone with a reliable track record reporting on Microsoft, like a Brad Sams or Tom Warren, is able to do a story explaining why the higher ups in the Xbox division thought this price hike was a good idea. 

Going back to last autumn it genuinely looked like they were moving towards the idea of ditching Gold entirely. Announcing Halo multiplayer as free to play,adding EA Play and Game streaming to Ultimate, the recent rumour about them adding Uplay, it all seemed like the sort of thing you'd do if you were planning to kill off Gold but still wanted to have good reasons for a console owner to go with Ultimate over regular GamePass. 

They've largely managed to repair their reputation since the Xboxones awful launch by establishing the idea of GamePass being the best deal in gaming and the main reason to buy an Xbox over a different console. Doubling the price of Gold goes against all their messaging of gaming being for everyone blah de blah blah. 

Go read ZhugeEX's Twitter, he has sources and talked a bit about it and Microsoft's strategy recently. The TLDR is Game Pass is ultimately about raising ARPU, and they thought this price move would have helped them towards that ultimate goal.

He estimated XBLG has ~25 Million subscribers, XGP is ~15+ Million at present with some of those not being console or XGPU. Xbox has ~50+ Million consoles sold, so even the current subscriber base is sub-optimal in terms of revenue generation.

To get it to mass market scale is going to require either Xbox consoles having a massive increase in demand, them making the PC side compelling or people who don't own either of those options thinking $15/month is worth it on their phone/other device.

His assertion (which I've personally also long believed to be true) that Microsoft need more compelling content to actually get XGP to their desired scale was interesting to read.

Theres nothing there that goes into the thinking behind this particular decision. The thread ends by saying they've been planning for months to get rid of needing Gold for free to play games. That raises the question of why they didn't announce that alongside the Live price hike? Why have nothing in place to try and making jacking up the price of Gold seem more palatable? 

The thing about Microsoft needing more content in order to make GamePass as successful as they hope is hardly a revelation. They had 5 studios in 2018, they'll have 20+ once the Bethesda deal closes. 

11 hours ago, bear said:

The thing about Microsoft needing more content in order to make GamePass as successful as they hope is hardly a revelation

Finding new ways to dress up the obvious is very much a core skill for analysts.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/26/22250795/xbox-game-pass-subscribers-growth-microsoft

Microsoft is continuing to attract people to its Xbox Game Pass service. The “Netflix for video games” service now has 18 million subscribers, up from the 15 million previously reported in September. Xbox Game Pass is a subscription service that offers access to a growing selection of more than 100 Xbox games for $9.99 per month.

There doesn't seem to be more information out there saying how many subscribers are on Ultimate, PC or console but it's clearly going well for Microsoft as they had 10 million subscribers last April. I don't think it's outrageous to say there will be more people subscribed to GamePass than Gold by the end of 2021. 

On 24/01/2021 at 23:25, bear said:

Theres nothing there that goes into the thinking behind this particular decision. The thread ends by saying they've been planning for months to get rid of needing Gold for free to play games. That raises the question of why they didn't announce that alongside the Live price hike? Why have nothing in place to try and making jacking up the price of Gold seem more palatable? 

The thing about Microsoft needing more content in order to make GamePass as successful as they hope is hardly a revelation. They had 5 studios in 2018, they'll have 20+ once the Bethesda deal closes. 

2 ways to get where they want to go, Carrot or Stick. They just went way over the mark with the Stick and the Carrot isn't producing the results they want clearly either.

The usual way to achieve what they want is the Boiled Frog strategy, which is a tried and true classic, but I assume management are too impatient to go that route, hence the attempt to increase revenue in such an abrupt manner by either making hold-out XBLG subscribers pay more or make them realise $15/month is better than $10/month for online play only. Either gets them their desired ARPU increase.

Game Pass enthusiasts have been saying for a long while it's already compelling enough in its current form to succeed, clearly Microsoft don't agree, otherwise they wouldn't have to keep throwing ever larger sums of money at the problem.

An update on when online play will be free would be nice. Due to our current set up it’s not that convenient for my account to be signed in on an Xbox so my eldest can play online etc. I did see that he can get GPU for £1 for 3 months which would hopefully cover him until online play is free but I don’t think they have said anything about it yet?

I assume I’d have to put card details on there too which I’m not that keen on. Some better communication would be nice.

I'd guess that Microsoft will be able to whitelist free-to-play games on the backend so they don't require Gold, similar to their Free Play Days for All promotions, but presumably some games will need to be patched. The Chimeric CoD: Warzone will be a mix of game modes that do and do not require a subscription, for instance.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need a payment method attached to make use of the change. If for some reason you do, you could set up your child's account to require a passkey to make purchases.

30 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I wouldn't have thought you'd need a payment method attached to make use of the change.

Ah, that bit was just about the GPU trial on his dashboard at the moment but good point about the passcode, thanks

It's bonkers. We've gone from "wait, you've got more than one Xbox?" to that being entirely normal. I've got a 360 in the basement, XSX downstairs and XB1 upstairs. It's not some edge case, devices tend to last and so... we've got multiple! And now it's very normal for your kids to have their own accounts, to the extent MS have rolled out these fine grain permissions. But the means to share expensive subscriptions is a total fudge. 

I know we all know that, just wanted to vent. I hope this is on someone's backlog.