Microsoft announce price hike for Live Gold. Update:Reversed

31 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

New thread: Does Microsoft's attitude put you off buying their stuff?

Well, if Sony announces today that online gaming would be free on PS5 it would definitely cost Microsoft 1 customer. Gamepass is a brilliant service and steers me towards Xbox, but today's behaviour reminds me that these things are fluid.  Right now Gamepass is a great reason to go Xbox next time I buy a console, but they could remove half the content and double the price tomorrow and that's completely out of my control.

Up to now I've bought every console but in 2021 there's just too much content over too many services. It's the first time I've ever been content to miss out on stuff before but it seems inevitable now. So I'll be buying one console and what Microsoft did this morning definitely helps me make my choice. Of course Sony could do the same thing but I guess it's all unavoidable as companies try to get you subscribing rather than purchasing (Office 365, Adobe etc)

31 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Well, if Sony announces today that online gaming would be free on PS5 it would definitely cost Microsoft 1 customer. Gamepass is a brilliant service and steers me towards Xbox, but today's behaviour reminds me that these things are fluid.  Right now Gamepass is a great reason to go Xbox next time I buy a console, but they could remove half the content and double the price tomorrow and that's completely out of my control.

Up to now I've bought every console but in 2021 there's just too much content over too many services. It's the first time I've ever been content to miss out on stuff before but it seems inevitable now. So I'll be buying one console and what Microsoft did this morning definitely helps me make my choice. Of course Sony could do the same thing but I guess it's all unavoidable as companies try to get you subscribing rather than purchasing (Office 365, Adobe etc)

Yeah, it’s just a helpful reminder that the Microsoft Wallet Inspector isn’t here to be our pals, which some of the Xbox evangelists need to be reminded of once in a while. 

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I don’t think they specifically promote stacking 3 years of gold and converting for £1, it reads like get a month of it for £1 and I only knew about it because it was talked about in here and podcasts - just look at the series x thread around launch and it was clear even us gamers didn’t really know about it.

I think the Series X thread here simply proved that even a demographic/group you’d assume to be tech/internet savvy have no clue how to use a search engine ^_^

I think they really need to rebalance or remove the stacking and converting from Gold to GPU. It’s an amazing deal but I suspect it really screws the numbers in terms of whether GPU is successful in recruiting loyal customers long term. If they were upset about the upgrade route to GPU then just fucking make that a value equivalence conversion. £100 of Gold becomes £100 of GPU which is a shorter period. No loss for the consumer.

If gamers don’t think GPU is worth it’s real price then MS need to fix that. Not try to simply manipulate Gold to be stupidly expensive (it’s already stupidly pricey).

Really dumb initial announcement / incredibly fast reversal smacks of behind the scenes meddling to me. Someone high up must have been pushing for this, for hypothetical numbers reasons, only to have it thrown back in their face when it backfired immediately.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Sony have been the worst online option since they launched it on the Ps2, it was free on the PS3 because it was shit and they couldn’t charge money for it! The PS4 value proposition was the games in ps+ because again they couldn’t charge for online as it’s still poor (party chat is still awful) compared to the opposition.

They have also been the worst for holding back cross play and still kick back on it and refuse to fully support it so as anti consumer go they have a vastly worse track record than MS, Sega or even Nintendo but yeah free online (ain’t happening) is a baffling way to choose a platform!

11 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Speaking as an Xbox FundaMENTALIST and evangelist. 

It's actually this kind of language that reveals who the idiot is.

Get both machines and chill out. Then you’ll have something to own and play when Microsoft jack the price up of Gamepass to pay for all those Lord of the Rings RPGs they overpaid for.

26 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Sony have been the worst online option since they launched it on the Ps2, it was free on the PS3 because it was shit and they couldn’t charge money for it! The PS4 value proposition was the games in ps+ because again they couldn’t charge for online as it’s still poor (party chat is still awful) compared to the opposition.

They have also been the worst for holding back cross play and still kick back on it and refuse to fully support it so as anti consumer go they have a vastly worse track record than MS, Sega or even Nintendo but yeah free online (ain’t happening) is a baffling way to choose a platform!

To be fair I found it fine on PS3 and not really any different to PS4 - certain didn’t harm my enjoyment of Modern Warfare, Uncharted 2, Last of Us etc. not having to pay for the online. Also there’s no way theirs is worse than Nintendo’s. 

4 hours ago, mikeyl said:

New thread: Does Microsoft's attitude put you off buying their stuff?

'How to turn your customer goodwill into a fantastic public toilet'

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

To be fair I found it fine on PS3 and not really any different to PS4 - certain didn’t harm my enjoyment of Modern Warfare, Uncharted 2, Last of Us etc. not having to pay for the online. Also there’s no way theirs is worse than Nintendo’s. 

It took Sony years to implement incredibly basic functionality on the PS3 like in-game XMB and cross-game parties. I remember being shocked after a couple of years with the 360 buying a PS3 and seeing how far behind the OS was. With no in-game XMB you couldn't even do basic things like check messages in a game.

I remember Sony fanboys defending it by asking who would want to check a message in the middle of a game which is so hilariously quaint in hindsight but people really will defend anything sometimes.

They implemented most of this stuff eventually on PS3 but it was all a bit rubbish because it was never there from the beginning and didn't always play nicely with older games and the in-game XMB ran like a dog. PS4 was a big step forward.

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

Your memory is terrible, PS3 online made Nintendo online look impressive and PS4/PS5 party chat is still not as good as 360 party chat was!

Its not even a joke that PS3 online was so bad it was free, they literally couldn’t charge for it against live so had to feature a hands it to make it seem like you got something for your money rather than the worst online experience to date!

Cod was ok on PS3 online, it was like easy mode coming from 360 ;) 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Go on I’ll bite.

What’s wrong with party chat on PS4?

(Aside from the fact that it’s made by a company you seem to hate)

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

Party chat has always been perfect for me on both platforms. 

The quality is awful on PS4 compared to Xbox ( I thought it was broken and went through loads of headphones early on to find out it’s just crap quality) and it takes days to do anything like add someone to it unless it’s the phantom people you don’t know that get dropped into your chats - we ended up going private as it’s such a common issue. 

The in game chat in Fortnite is better than Sony’s offering, it’s also more adjustable unless you have a Mixamp and I did as otherwise it was too crap to bother using!

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The quality is awful on PS4 compared to Xbox ( I thought it was broken and went through loads of headphones early on to find out it’s just crap quality) and it takes days to do anything like add someone to it unless it’s the phantom people you don’t know that get dropped into your chats - we ended up going private as it’s such a common issue. 

The in game chat in Fortnite is better than Sony’s offering, it’s also more adjustable unless you have a Mixamp and I did as otherwise it was too crap to bother using!

Can’t say I recognise any of that with my own experience. Sounds like you might have an issue. 

19 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Can’t say I recognise any of that with my own experience. Sounds like you might have an issue. 

All very common issues.... Google is your friend if you don’t want to believe me and even Sony knew it was bad on launch as they replaced the whole chat system and the quality defi got better but still not great - it’s still garbage through the pad (all 7 of them I’ve had) 3.5mm jack.

20 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think we all know he has an issue.

Not being a Sony apologist is hardly an issue.

Your personal digs all the time is a pretty ugly issue, any particular reason or are you just a cunt?

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Your memory is terrible, PS3 online made Nintendo online look impressive and PS4/PS5 party chat is still not as good as 360 party chat was!

Its not even a joke that PS3 online was so bad it was free, they literally couldn’t charge for it against live so had to feature a hands it to make it seem like you got something for your money rather than the worst online experience to date!

Cod was ok on PS3 online, it was like easy mode coming from 360 ;) 

The infrastructure required for online play was broadly similar for both parties - it is not as if MS had to charge because party chat costs £40 a year to run, or whatever, charging for it was always part off their plan right from the beginning. More likely that as MS were gaining ground Sony used its free service to lure people away  - I don’t know. 

I mean for me it was fine but I’m not a hardcore gamer, I was happy that I didn’t have to pay for it though and it was nothing to do with me thinking it was too shit to pay for, I would have if I had to - Uncharted multiplayer was great, was the same with the Wii - obviously the service was bare bones but it still worked well and, again, it was free, which is always more attractive to me. 

29 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Not being a Sony apologist is hardly an issue.

Your personal digs all the time is a pretty ugly issue, any particular reason or are you just a cunt?

It's probably more to do with your *slightly* overly hyperbolic rants over many years regarding Sony in text form, if nothing else. To be honest - none of them are perfect.

I've personally played videogames over voice chat with @Uncle Mike and he's a good egg in person. I can confirm he's definitely not a cunt.

56 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

All very common issues.... Google is your friend if you don’t want to believe me and even Sony knew it was bad on launch as they replaced the whole chat system and the quality defi got better but still not great - it’s still garbage through the pad (all 7 of them I’ve had) 3.5mm jack.

The quality is fine. Obviously it's not the liquid gold being poured into my ears when strangers are calling me homophobic slurs on Xbox, but at no point have I ever noticed a dip in quality of the homophobic slurs on my PS5. I also much prefer the party system on Playstation. Consistent parties cuts out the faff for those of us who tend to play with the same people/groups every time.