Microsoft announce price hike for Live Gold. Update:Reversed

1 minute ago, djbhammer said:

Now more than ever is the time to stack 12 month Gold up to a max of 3 years and convert to Ultimate. You can still grab 12 months online from ShopTo for £39 for example.

Thinking about doing this, just wondering if the prices will hike on 12 months since theres no mention of it.

Just now, Rob Rymond said:

Thinking about doing this, just wondering if the prices will hike on 12 months since theres no mention of it.

They don’t do 12 months anymore so once the codes out there for them run out that’s it. 

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

They don’t do 12 months anymore so once the codes out there for them run out that’s it. 

Best get moving; mind you if they stopped selling them last  Summer, I wonder how much stock they actually have!

13 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

This is effectively a rise for Gamepass because of the way we are all doing the upgrade thing right? The Xbox fundamentalists always talk about the perceived “value” of GPU, but it’s not sustainable long term and they will fuck you eventually.

I would still pay the actual full price for Gamepass Ultimate though. It's been brilliant that we could get it for so cheap in the past using the Gold:GPU conversion trick but £10.99 per month is still great value for how much I use it and how many new games I play on it.

For me personally, I reckon GPU would have to start getting close to the 20 a month mark before I started questioning it. I pay 12 a month for 4K Netflix and I get far more use out of GPU. And even Netflix is going up to 14 quid soon.

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Great! 

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I think it's pretty much inevitable. Game Pass is spectacular value now, and has been for the last couple of years, but if they're going to continue putting first party games on it straight away, and paying 8 billion dollars for companies like Bethesda, then they're going to want to recoup that cost somehow. Getting as many GPU subs as they can before driving up the price was always going to be their strategy, and it's a lot easier to justify increasing the monthly cost of GPU to consumers, with its library of 'free' games, than it is justifying an increase to Gold.

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

I would still pay the actual full price for Gamepass Ultimate though. It's been brilliant that we could get it for so cheap in the past using the Gold:GPU conversion trick but £10.99 per month is still great value for how much I use it. 

For me personally, I reckon GPU would have to start getting close to the 20 a month mark before I started questioning it. I pay 15 a month for 4K Netflix and I get far more use out of GPU.

Don’t get me wrong it’s probably well worth over a tenner a month depending on how you use it (I think it’s good value at the moment despite all I’m doing since the S came out is playing Forza and Destiny and the first 40 minutes of a pile of average games whilst constantly scrolling the Gp library).

The vibes in the past are that somehow, Microsoft are our friends and give us all this for £41 a year and don’t expect anything back in return. It’s as disingenuous as Uber ruining taxis. 

22 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Pretty stark contrast from this thread compared to the old PS+ price increase thread a few years ago. Microsoft have genuinely done wonders for their PR over the last few years.

I mean someone in here is basically saying “don’t worry they’ll remove Gold in a year or two and then increase the price of GPU” How is that good for anyone? :lol:

Huh? The vast majority of posts and posters are being very critical of Microsoft. 

I'm sure you'd find one or two people justifying the PS Plus increase in that thread. 

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I think it's pretty much inevitable. Game Pass is spectacular value now, and has been for the last couple of years, but if they're going to continue putting first party games on it straight away, and paying 8 billion dollars for companies like Bethesda, then they're going to want to recoup that cost somehow. Getting as many GPU subs as they can before driving up the price was always going to be their strategy, and it's a lot easier to justify increasing the monthly cost of GPU to consumers, with its library of 'free' games, than it is justifying an increase to Gold.

Yeah but like I said if all you wanna do is play COD online it’s a bit fucking shit, isn’t it? 

13 minutes ago, bear said:

I'm sure you'd find one or two people justifying the PS Plus increase in that thread. 

Oh for sure, I’m not saying otherwise but there’s a very clear double standard just from the first page of that thread with people (mostly the usual suspects) outraged at the price hike who are mysteriously silent about this one.

Wow for anyone who hasn't yet picked up 12m gold cards I'd get a move on. I expect they won't be £40 for long once suppliers get wind of this!

Not clear if MS are removing 12m codes there was talks about it a while back....

1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

Not from Microsoft. Amazon are selling codes at £50. CDkeys for a bit less.

I wonder if they’re just exhausting stock - seems a bit mad that 6 months ones just announced are only £7 cheaper than these. 

Just now, Stanley said:

I wonder if they’re just exhausting stock - seems a bit mad that 6 months ones just announced are only £7 cheaper than these. 

Microsoft did away with the 12 month option last year. I think that's what originally caused the speculation about Xbox Live Gold becoming free.

But yeah, a 72% increase for us by the looks of it. Slightly better than the 100% increase that the US got.

22 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Not from Microsoft. Amazon are selling codes at £50. CDkeys for a bit less.

ShopTo £39 is decent. I would imagine these 12 month codes will start selling fast given today’s news. They look a right bargain now.

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

None, they just offer the same thing for literally half the price. 

And F2P games are in fact free to play, online, on Sony and Nintendo’s services, not so on Xbox they require Gold. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

And F2P games are in fact free to play, online, on Sony and Nintendo’s services, not so on Xbox they require Gold. 

Hopefully people will start putting pressure on MS to change this. Youngest plays Fortnite and it's a PITA having to buy gold to play a free to play elsewhere game. 

1 hour ago, squirtle said:

What competitors in the console space offer free online play? I'm not defending them. They're all ridiculous. 

What category would you put Stadia in? I know it's a different delivery method but multiplayer isn't behind a paywall. 

2 minutes ago, bear said:

What category would you put Stadia in? I know it's a different delivery method but multiplayer isn't behind a paywall. 

So if I bought say, Destiny 2, on it I could play online for free, just have to pay for the game?

Just now, Stanley said:

So if I bought say, Destiny 2, on it I could play online for free, just have to pay for the game?

I think Destiny 2 is free to play so you could just sign into Stadia now and play with other people. Resolution is limited to HD unless you pay for Stadia Pro. That subscription gets you 4K streaming and access to their version of Games with Gold.  

2 minutes ago, bear said:

I think Destiny 2 is free to play so you could just sign into Stadia now and play with other people. Resolution is limited to HD unless you pay for Stadia Pro. That subscription gets you 4K streaming and access to their version of Games with Gold.  

That’s pretty good isn’t it.

• bear changed the title to Microsoft announce price hike for Live Gold. Update:Reversed