Microsoft announce price hike for Live Gold. Update:Reversed

https://www.polygon.com/2021/1/22/22244203/xbox-live-gold-price-increase-subscription

Microsoft is upping the price for its Xbox Live Gold, the Xbox online service, the company announced Friday. Xbox Live Gold will now cost $10.99 a month for a one-month membership — a price increase of $1. The three-month membership will now cost $29.99, an increase of $5. A six-month membership is up to $59.99. Microsoft’s last price increase for Xbox Live Gold was in 2010.

It might make Gamepass Ultimate look like even better value but this is just rotten from Microsoft. 

The multiplayer paywall should be be going away, not being raised even higher. 

5 minutes ago, bear said:

The multiplayer paywall should be be going away, not being raised even higher. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what will still happen once the vast majority is on game pass instead of Gold.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Indeed.

Add in their push towards game streaming and it makes even less sense. If I play Halo Infinite through an app on my TV will multiplayer be free but will I have to pay for multiplayer if I play the game through an Xbox connected to the same TV? 

I remember when Mario Kart 8 was released on the Wii U. That first weekend after a load of us on this forum shared our Nintendo ID’s and organised a bunch of races. It was brilliant. Had I actually had to pay to play online I’d have missed out on all of that. So yes online should be free.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what will still happen once the vast majority is on game pass instead of Gold.

...as mentioned in the other thread, a huge number of users just want to play COD/FIFA/Fortnite and have no interest in an "all you can eat" games service. 

So should we pay for online gaming or not? Not sure how it actually works on the PC? Who foots the bill for the servers and maintenance of them? Is it just people doing it from the kindness of their heart or something?

I know Xbox Gold is a bit cheeky (or at least it was) in that it used peer-to-peer online - so there was effectively no server just the machine creating the online session is the host not sure if this is still the case anymore? Is it peer-to-peer on the PC too.

Anyhow those cheap consoles come at a price - that price is lack of choice and buying into a monopoly over all services and content. So pays your money and make your choice I guess.

Still crappy to ramp up the prices though.... sure they could build the costs of online gaming into games themselves if you aren't using GPU or something.

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

So should we pay for online gaming or not? Not sure how it actually works on the PC? Who foots the bill for the servers and maintenance of them? Is it just people doing it from the kindness of their heart or something?

I know Xbox Gold is a bit cheeky (or at least it was) in that it used peer-to-peer online - so there was effectively no server just the machine creating the online session is the host not sure if this is still the case anymore? Is it peer-to-peer on the PC too.

Anyhow those cheap consoles come at a price - that price is lack of choice and buying into a monopoly over all services and content. So pays your money and make your choice I guess.

Still crappy to ramp up the prices though.... sure they could build the costs of online gaming into games themselves if you aren't using GPU or something.

Microsoft tried to charge for Xbox Live on the PC and PC gamers weren't having any of it.

Just now, Super Craig said:

Microsoft tried to charge for Xbox Live on the PC and PC gamers weren't having any of it.

Remember that.... It's still free now isn't it... :D Essentially you have Xbox Gold by just installing the app for free on PC.

24 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

...or push them to their competitors. 

What competitors in the console space offer free online play? I'm not defending them. They're all ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, squirtle said:

What competitors in the console space offer free online play? I'm not defending them. They're all ridiculous. 

PS4/PS5 and Switch offer free online play for F2P games. And it's a lot cheaper for everything else. Someone who hasn't bought a PS5, Series X|S or Switch is likely going to take that into account.

Thought this would come, and it's not surprising. They need to push the value of Game Pass even more, and what better way to do that than making its parts more expensive and in line with Sony?

Remember when MS removed the 12-month Gold subscription option last year, and people speculated that it might be because they were planning to remove Gold entirely? 

Wishful thinking! :(

For example:

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/microsoft-removes-12-month-xbox-live-subscriptions-may-be-preparing-to-drop-the-paywall-entirely/

It’s worth noting that Xbox Game Pass Ultimate currently includes an Xbox Live Gold subscription as part of the bundle – if Microsoft is indeed dropping the paywall for Xbox Live, xCloud may have been added to the deal in its place.

Alternatively, it has also been speculated that Microsoft dropping the 12-month tier is a bid to drive users towards Game Pass Ultimate.

Looks like the second paragraph was closer to the mark.

5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

PS4/PS5 and Switch offer free online play for F2P games. And it's a lot cheaper for everything else. Someone who hasn't bought a PS5, Series X|S or Switch is likely going to take that into account.

That’s true, it’s weird MS’s stance on F2P stuff. 

I love how, whenever it looks like Microsoft might be keeping pace with Sony, they do something completely stupid.

- Insisting that consoles won't be sold without a kinect incorporated

- Insisting on physical games being tied to one machine and not resellable

- This

Much like the other two, they'll probably end up going back on this. The idiots.

It's especially idiotic when free to play games don't need a subscription on PlayStation.

7 minutes ago, tnman said:

Thought this would come, and it's not surprising. They need to push the value of Game Pass even more, and what better way to do that than making its parts more expensive and in line with Sony?

You would be able to get PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now for the same price as Xbox Live Gold.

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

That seems like a spectacularly bad strategy.

How so? Raising it to $10.99 brings it to the same price as GPU, so customers will just get GPU instead and then get caught in the GPU ecosystem, and then in a year they'll probably raise the price of that. They've been slowly trying to get rid of Gold for a couple of years now.

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

That seems like a spectacularly bad strategy.

Totally, I know plenty people who pay for Gold & PS+ etc just because it gives them online access to FIFA, COD, Animal Crossing and so on, they’re not interested in the free games so much. 

Just now, Jamie John said:

How so? Raising it to $10.99 brings it to the same price as GPU, so customers will just get GPU instead and then get caught in the GPU ecosystem, and then in a year they'll probably raise the price of that. They've been slowly trying to get rid of Gold for a couple of years now.

Great! 

I wonder if they did some number crunching and realised the whole Gold-Game Pass stacking thing was going to be ruinously expensive in the long run.

I have wondered if it’s been a bit too accessible for their own good, how many people on here are fully signed up until 2023/24 and won’t be paying Microsoft a penny extra until then? Of course that’s probably a good way to build subscriber numbers and market share but if you’re an executive you don’t want to face potentially terrible revenue numbers in the meantime.

This is effectively a rise for Gamepass because of the way we are all doing the upgrade thing right? The Xbox fundamentalists always talk about the perceived “value” of GPU, but it’s not sustainable long term and they will fuck you eventually.

Pretty stark contrast from this thread compared to the old PS+ price increase thread a few years ago. Microsoft have genuinely done wonders for their PR over the last few years.

I mean someone in here is basically saying “don’t worry they’ll remove Gold in a year or two and then increase the price of GPU” How is that good for anyone? :lol: