Are you satisfied with your next-generation console?

Are you satisfied with your next-gen console?   

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've picked the second option, although that's a universal issue for every platform, including my PC - There's always a drought at this point in a generation.

But, I like my Series S. Everything that @Timmo says, *and* it's in a price range to impulse buy. Even if feature creep claims the Series S' performance and Game Pass pricing gets jacked to the roof, it's still an amazing little box that instantly loads every streaming app under the sun (including Microsoft's own XCloud Service), and Dev Mode lets you play pretty much anything emulated up to the PS2, if not more with future development. It will likely have a place under my telly as long as Microsoft deems it relevant enough to throw it a software update.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Load times also appear MUCH quicker than the Series X.

How much quicker?

I know Quick Resume is still being worked on, but when it’s working it takes literally single digit seconds to switch between games. If the PS5 is really much quicker than that, it’ll be practically instant.

Well quick resume has been pretty hit or miss for me. But when it does work I’d say it’s on par with the PlayStation loading Miles Morales from scratch, give or take. 

I’m sure MS will get there but at the Series X still has a few wrinkles they need to iron out (not least of which would be controller disconnects - which now happening on my replacement console!).

5 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Well quick resume has been pretty hit or miss for me. But when it does work I’d say it’s on par with the PlayStation loading Miles Morales from scratch, give or take. 

I’m sure MS will get there but at the Series X still has a few wrinkles they need to iron out (not least of which would be controller disconnects - which now happening on my replacement console!).

I'm sorry but that doesn't sound right. QR is literally a second or two into a game for me (and you are exactly where you left off before, whether thats on a pause screen or the middle of a battle or something).

I also cannot imagine that a game, from cold start, takes 2 seconds to load in what with all the Publisher/Developer splash screens bollocks etc or does PS5 have QR as well?

Before I got my Series S I was expecting to be in the "I didn't play much last-gen so it all feels new to me" camp. I didn't have an Xbox and didn't play very much on my PS4 so for me the great attraction of the S + Game Pass was that it was a good way to try out lots of older games that I missed. And indeed, that's how I've used it so far - I've played loads of games on it but the only brand new one so far was Call of the Sea. But it's the ease of use, the instant boot up and quick resume (which has been working pretty consistently for me, perhaps I'm just lucky) that means I've played far more on the S in the last couple of months than I did on the PS4+Switch in the last year. I've settled into a routine of having one "big" game and a few "small" ones on the go and swapping between them for a quick blast whenever I get a spare few minutes. And this convenience is the game changer (literally lol) that makes it feel like a leap forward and why I'm completely satisfied.

I'm happy with my PS5 so far.

Astro Bot feels like a great sales pitch for all the features (including silly OS things like the cards etc - scoreboard challenges on the speed run levels are very quick and convenient to get into a back-and-forth battle on, loading in seconds,) and is great fun, Demon's Souls was a great time, Miles Morales played great and looked the business, and even seemingly second-tier titles like Sackboy are fun and kept me and the wife happy over Xmas. It's a really strong launch line-up, it seems to me, even if you're minded to be pedantic and talk about Demon's being a remake and MM/Sackboy being cross-gen. It all feels ready.

I can't compare it to a Series X|S as I don't have one (yet - I assume I'm getting an S and Game Pass at some point in 2021.)

But what I have, I'm very happy with. You don't have Quick Resume, but those PS5 games boot from cold in <10s. You don't have the 3 generations of BC (and it's the PS3 digital titles I'd really want to carry over - stuff like Shatter or similar. I do wish that was something Sony would make available) but the PS4 BC works really well for everything I've tried.

The OS is fast and smooth, even if it's clearly not quite finished and the Store is a mess. It's quick to get into and out of games, move between games, and so on. The cards even serve a purpose on some of the titles - getting in and out of side missions and levels etc is pretty slick.

I have had a couple too many crashes (mainly isolated to Miles Morales immediately at launch - it seemed to stop after a game patch and an OS update - and Man Eater, which I think it just a poorly-finished title) but nothing that's made me worry for its stability or  bring back watching the PS4-style scandisk of worry progress bar.

I do think the thing I've noticed most is the loading speeds, which feels like damning with faint praise but, it turns out, is pretty transformational in terms of convenience and ease/

33 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

But when it does work I’d say it’s on par with the PlayStation loading Miles Morales from scratch, give or take. 

Using an Activity Card in MM to jump back into the game was a real wow moment for me, couldn’t believe how quick it was compared to the first game and initial load times never really bother me.

22 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I also cannot imagine that a game, from cold start, takes 2 seconds to load in what with all the Publisher/Developer splash screens bollocks etc or does PS5 have QR as well?

With MM fully closed down to back to where you were in a mission (or another mission from an activity card) was 7 secs I think (no splash screens or very occasionally, maybe once after update) and was 100% reliable. If you use Rest Mode then you’re back in the game almost instantly but that only works for one game at a time. But tbh whether it’s 2, 7, 10, 15 secs etc. to resume a game it doesn’t make that much difference when previously with something like Spider-Man it was minutes plus in game loading.

Same thing works for Demon’s Souls but the “connecting to server” bit takes time sometimes.

21 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

QR is weird. It seems to be really flaky for some people, but I’ve been hopping between MCC, Fallen Order and Cyberpunk without any problems and as Jg15 says, it’s literally a few seconds to get back to where I left it. It’s well impressive.

I’ve luckily not had any controller disconnects on either of my boys’ Series S or my X, but we’re all using Elite controllers, so not sure if that’s helping. Are you using the standard controller?

Series X for me and very satisfied.  Due to GP and the speed of start up times, which with Quick Resume are literally 2 or 3 seconds (On my machine at least) I have played it more in the past few months than I probably played my old XBONE in the past year.

It can only get better as the next gen games hit, so yep all good for me.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I have had a couple too many crashes (mainly isolated to Miles Morales immediately at launch - it seemed to stop after a game patch and an OS update - and Man Eater, which I think it just a poorly-finished title) but nothing that's made me worry for its stability or  bring back watching the PS4-style scandisk of worry progress bar.

I played through the whole of MM RT 60 at Xmas without a crash so OS or game updates mostly resolved that although I think others have still had crashes so perhaps due to particular in game conditions that I didn’t hit. Don’t think I’ve had a single crash on PS5 so far, shouldn’t have said that lol.

I like the PS5 as a machine. Had some issues at the beginning with crashing and DB rebuilds but nothing for weeks now. I still don't trust rest mode though so there's a patch to download for a game nearly every time I power it on.

The pad is really comfy, the haptics (when utilised properly) are fantastic and the battery life seems okay.

I've played the following PS5 games:

AstroBot - The best launch game since Mario 64

Miles Morales - Completed, great stuff!!

Spider-Man Remastered - Ongoing, still brilliant 

Bugsnax - Surreal and hysterical

Demons Souls - Lost patience

Sackboy - Ongoing, super fun

The Pathless - Great but not a real next-gen game

Call of Duty - Decent SP game and good haptics

Mortal Kombat 11 - Shiny PS4 game

Immortals Fenyx Rising - Great but just a shinier PS4 game, rubbish haptics implementation 

ManEater - It's alright for a freebie

I've also played a fair bit of back cat stuff and for certain games the bump from wobbly, unlocked frame-rate to a locked 60 has been revelatory. 

There have been a couple of times where I've wondered if I should sell it due what with one thing or another but the thought of Kena, Returnal and Destruction All-Stars in the next 6 weeks makes me realise that I'd just end up trying to buy another one.

Ratchet, Horizon, GT, God of War, the inevitable sequels to Days Gone, Uncharted, TLOU. Yum!!

My main complaint is that the back cat isn't as good as Microsoft's. If Sony had found a way to get PS3 games running on the thing I'd have been as happy as a pig in the proverbial. So many great PS3 games from SIE and others that deserve to be replayed (Puppeteer and Binary Domain are two I've recently enjoyed again).

I had an S and sold it just because it wasn't getting the use it deserves. I'm currently regretting that as I really want to go back through the Dead Space games but my DualShock 3 is being a bit temperamental to play them on PS3! :lol:

Also, I didn't mention the PS5 controller at all. I wouldn't want every game to be a haptics and triggers showcase like Astro Bot, but even in the more subtle games I think it's adding worthwhile texture and flavour. Demon's Souls feels (and sounds) really good, Miles' swinging feels better, the more showy stuff like in WRC9 is properly cool. I've just been playing through Man Eater, and it feels so flat and so uncommunicative in the hand for not having implemented any of this.

As a lucky bastard who has both, for me the Series X is edging it (due to game pass). Both consoles are leaps ahead of their respective previous consoles in terms of speed and graphical fidelity. These consoles genuinely feel next gen to me. I was surprised and I wasn’t even intending on getting them right away. I wish the scalpers would just fuck off now so everyone else who wants one can get online with their own.

I would like more games but am still delighted with the Series X. I am playing a lot more even though I still have very limited time.

The boot up time and quick resume has revolutionised my gaming. Any wee 20 minute period can be a couple of FH4 races or a level of streets of rage 4.

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Series X is for me a very minimal upgrade over the One X as of writing. Its really crying out for a game to show it off. 

The PS5 is much more satisfying from that point of view. And looks like it’s doing things the Pro couldn’t in the games I have played. Load times also appear MUCH quicker than the Series X.

Nah. I own both and there's barely any difference in load times (I'm not going to count first party Sony games that skip the developer splash screens because it's not an apples to apples comparison).

I haven't seen a single loading time test that shows PS5 loading multiplatform games significantly faster than Xbox. It usually does come out ahead but by very marginal amounts. Hitman 3 just came out and PS5 loads levels about 0.5 seconds faster than Xbox does according to the digital foundry tests.

I couldnt be more pleased with the Xbox Series X. I'm a realist and I know that the game that really blows me away hasnt come out yet, but the loading times, the speed of processing has made such an infinite difference that its unreal. As I posted elsewhere, I just got a telly that does the 120hz VRR stuff and whilst theres only a few games that takes advantage of it, its lovely enough to know I made the right choice. Equally, I'm an Xbox guy anyway - my whole family have Xbox, my closest pals who game have Xbox so to me, it makes perfect sense. I'm relatively sure I'd be very torn if I wasnt so deep in the Microsoft infrastructure.

The Series X is great for playing past gen games quickly and looking good but, yeah, it desperately needs one or two games that show off some of its power. 

I know it is the start of the gen but usually there are a couple of games released which whilst pretty shit in general do show off the shinies at least. Not this time around. 

Things like Forza Horizon 4 look amazing but it just further makes me want something built from the ground up. 

I opted for the XSX because I knew I was mostly going to use it to play catch up on last gen. I think if I had PS5 I'd be stuck for something I'd want to play by now. From a jump up from a vanilla xbox one, I couldn't be happier. 

My favourite thing is how quiet it is. I couldn't really play the old xbox at my desk before as my kid trying to sleep in the next room would know I was up and about and shout for me. And then I'd not be able to use headphones either because I need to listen out for him, or have the volume on too high to play over the fan. Now I got sound playing at 1 blob out of 11, the kid can't hear it and I'm able to play loads more. 

Quick Resume tends to work 100% on games it works on for me. I've been having to use it lots on Mass Effect Andromeda because it's a buggy mess that keeps dropping it's resolution or the sound goes out (when it's not just crashing or not allowing progress). Just run another game, then almost immediately run MSA, and I'm back in the game in a couple of seconds. Also, the faster internal SSD really takes the edge off it's crappy load times ... I've found most games haven't needed to move off the external SSD though. (it's not lazy dev though, much respect to my game developer peers for fighting to get it good enough to really enjoy) 

Yeah, dashboard could do with some work but from past history we'll probably have two brand new dashboards before this generation dies. 

Yes for SX. Although I'm spoiled for choice and never know which game to play. It's like trying to pick a film on Netflix. Joypad is brilliant, quick resume is great and it's practically silent. Even after being pissed in. 

No for PS5. Launch lineup had one game I was interested in. Don't like the pad ergonomics, frequent hard crashes, £70 games (fuck that), its ugly, terrible UI, its huge and coil whine. 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

QR is weird. It seems to be really flaky for some people, but I’ve been hopping between MCC, Fallen Order and Cyberpunk without any problems and as Jg15 says, it’s literally a few seconds to get back to where I left it. It’s well impressive.

I’ve luckily not had any controller disconnects on either of my boys’ Series S or my X, but we’re all using Elite controllers, so not sure if that’s helping. Are you using the standard controller?

Using an elite 2 and the stock controller. Never had any issues one my One X withe the elite 2, but on my second Series X (that was replaced because of the issue) and same problem has cropped up. Requires a full reboot to reconnect. Bit frustrating.

Went for the second option.

I'm mostly happy with my PS5. I had some annoyances with the OS becoming unusably slow to navigate (worse than PS4 speeds) which thankfully has vanished since I stopped using Rest mode, and my unit isn't quite as quiet as I'd like but where it matters, the games, I've been greatly impressed by the stuff I'd played so far. Astro Bot was a wonderful love letter to PlayStation history, Demon's Souls is just brilliant. How my brain imagined the game to look all those years ago when I played it on PS3. I just need more!

Thankfully with the majority of PS4 games running like a dream on the hardware (I'm sure the OLED I bought alongside the console has probably helped things too) I'm having a great time taking the usual new gen quiet period to catch up on a whole bunch of titles that have been sitting in my backlog.

41 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Using an elite 2 and the stock controller. Never had any issues one my One X withe the elite 2, but on my second Series X (that was replaced because of the issue) and same problem has cropped up. Requires a full reboot to reconnect. Bit frustrating.

Sounds like a problem with the console rather than the pads then. Maybe speak to MS about it. Like I say, I’ve got 3 Series consoles here and there hasn’t been a single controller disconnect since launch.

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The question is, how do you feel about your next gen consoles, @Marlew?

I had a pre-order for both but gave my X to a mate. I keep looking at one and had in an basket a couple of times but there's nothing I want to play. I caned the decent exclusive games on my One X and have zero interest in Game Pass. If I want to play something, I'll just get it but I understand its value to others. I'm looking forward to the next gen titles and will pick one up when there's one top-tier new game for it.

I'm probably one of the lucky ones with the PS5. I pre-ordered way back when, no fuss and it turned up on time. I've had no technical issues with it whatsoever, nor noise, and it's completely out of sight. I bought it for Demon's. I had the money there and it was quite a lot better than I'd expected. Top 5 GOTY. I also really like MM, WRC9, AB and S-M:R. I would have bought it anyway and been happy with them, but Demon's is a cut above in every respect. 

The BC stuff is fine and the PS+ Collection is fantastic if you never had a PS4, but I did. If I didn't finish a game on PS4, it's because it wasn't that great in the first place so I'm not that fussed about BC Ghost, GoW or Days Gone. Some other third party shit I have no interest in and don't understand why they're even there. The triggers and haptics are excellent in certain games, when they're used intelligently to elevate certain interactions and mechanics. I expect the exclusive games to use this stuff very well.

I couldn't give less of a fuck about loading times or the cards or any of the other shit. Same with Quick Resume. Not arsed about the SSD until it makes a difference to the gameplay or level design. I don't get excited by pressing an icon and playing a game really quickly. My life isn't that cut and thrust. I find the 'got no games but you can sure get into them fast' comments quite heartbreaking, but I try not to shit on other people's excitement. Reminds me of when my dad once 'cooked' us instant mashed potato and ketchup and presented it as 'Pink Panther'. "It only took me two minutes!" 

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Sounds like a problem with the console rather than the pads then. Maybe speak to MS about it. Like I say, I’ve got 3 Series consoles here and there hasn’t been a single controller disconnect since launch.

They just replaced my Series X with a new one. And it has developed the same issue. I think its a bug (not a feature!).

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/microsoft-working-on-fix-for-disconnecting-xbox-series-x-controllers

Series X: I have improved my Geometry Wars 2 deadline score by 2 million and got the wax on/off achievement in Pacifism mode.

im sure there are some new games, but why bother?

Went with a PS5, as I never upgraded my OG PS4, bought in 2014. 

I've had an Xbox One, a Xbox One S and bought a Gears of War edition One X on the cheap, last Christmas. Thus, I was in no rush to buy a Series X or S. 

I'm mostly happy with it, OS niggles, but touch wood I've had no crashes with it. The sooner I can get black faceplates for it, (without having to bulk-buy them from China), the better. 

The problem now, is that I can't be fucked re-buying games I already own on One X, (AC: Valhalla, Watchdogs: Legion), to play them all shiny and new on the PS5. 

That way lies madness. 

So, instead I'm resigned to upgrading my One X to a Series X. 

I'd buy one right now, if Currys had them in stock.