Wonka

JohnC

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This feels like something where I'd have no interest whatsoever if it were anyone other than Paul King doing it, but given his record so far I'm very interested to see what happens with this. Before Paddington came out, I assumed it would be the standard CGI travesty of a family film, with a wacky CGI bear and awkward pop culture references. Perhaps some kind of hilarious scene where an old woman dances to 'Who let the dogs out'. Given that the end result was so unbelievably good and that Paul King would presumably have had a degree of choice as to what he did next, I hope this is going to be something really good.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Timothee Chalamet playing a rich white weirdo?  Nice to see him showing his range.

Well, he should probably stick to playing white people at least. 

I can imagine some value here - Willy Wonka does just throw up question after question of you try and logic it out.

A series would be better though; detailing the harsh business dealings, creative challenges and adventures that Wonka had to experience in order to create the Chocolate factory.

Don't forget the deep-seated guilt of contributing to the western world's obesity and diabetes health crises. Perhaps like the tobacco industry, covering up decades of research. Except he is performing his research on his sub-minimum wage chattel labourers.

Based on his previous work, I'm guessing social realism is the direction Paul King is going with this quasi-documentary.