Worth waiting a week to go to a drive in for this?  Not much of a difference in price to VOD.  I assume a big screen would be good for this, but I guess audio would be better at home.

When King of the Monsters came out I was convinced that they would never make another movie as bafflingly anime-inflected and earnestly fixated on monster punching. Not only did they make another movie in that mould, it’s even weirder, far tighter, and has a really strong central hook with the headliners. Perhaps it suffers a little from the similarity, but that’s all.

Spoiler

I love how absolutely shit Mechagodzilla’s design is. It looks far stupider than the guy in the suit and I am stunned that they made that call.

This incredible exchange:

“I learned some HTML at camp!”

“HTML?!”

”I was at camp!”

WAS IT A NINETIES CAMP?!

On 01/04/2021 at 21:21, Gambit said:

That last fight was worth the price of admission alone!

Hide contents

When Kong fucking Riggs from Lethal Weapon'd his shoulder back in the socket. :lol:

Spoiler

Lethal Weapon 2 is actually given a formal copyright permission nod in the end credits  :lol: 

Spoiler

I'd forgotten about the shoulder bit and assumed it must be because Kong was obviously thinking "I'm too old for this shit" at the end when he sits down.

That was good fun. Still slightly too long, and the human bits were perfunctory at best, though there were a few amusing lines scattered around. But cracking fights, particularly the last one, and you could actually see what was going on. I still think Kong: Skull Island is the best of the lot, but this wasn't far behind.  

Yep, plus it's a weird flex to make anyway. If there's tons of unused footage suitable for a release cut, that means either it's all shite, or it's great and the final film is compromised. I know which my money's on. 

I thought this was OK, although nowhere near as enamoured as many seem to be. The first 40 minutes were utterly fucking painful to sit through, and the writers (if it's not just a million Kongs banging on a million typewriters) made the same mistake as the other films by stuffing the cast. Even the good characters get too little screen time and are an irritant rather than an enticement. 

I do also find it a bit odd people aren't mentioning how much it copies ideas and shots from Pacific Rim which, at times, this feels like a weak copy of. In fact, I'm not sure this is very much better than PR: Uprising. The CGI is well rough at times too, which doesn't bother me a great deal, but is a clear step (well, several steps) down from Godzilla 2014,and even KOTM. But at least the action happens in daylight at last. 

I liked the mental pseudo-science, which has no internal logic or consistency, but that does flag up how the film gets the tone wrong. It should be campy and panto but too often played entirely straight for a production not too far removed from a Doug McClure / Land that Time Forgot dealio. 

Spoiler

kryten2.jpg.e2be0b071bb9da1809ef82551d916bec.jpg

Didn't hate it, didn't love it. 

So modern kaiju rankings, then:

Pacific Rim

Kong: Skull Island

Shin Godzilla

Godzilla

Godzilla: KotM

Godzilla vs Kong

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Rampage :D

That was excellent. Maybe slightly short of the best you could hope for a movie of this type but still great fun and the action scenes were spectacular.

I remember when I first watched Godzilla and there is that moment near the end where you think he might be finished, but then you hear a noise. At first it sounds really weird, like you have no idea what it is. Then you see the blue light start to move through the smoke. Then it gets louder and the light moves faster and you know what is about to happen and you stand up and actually cheer. As good as the spectacle of the action was there was nothing quite as rewarding as that first Atomic Breath moment, but that’s been a failing of all the Kaijuverse (or whatever it’s called) movies in my book.

I feel like people are making some category errors with their rankings.

Actual good movies

Kong: Skull Island | Pacific Rim

Hundreds of millions of dollars of my specific kind of trash

King of the Monsters | Rampage | Godzilla vs Kong

Movies with Godzilla in them

Godzilla

Movies with monsters I don’t care about

Pacific Rim Uprising

10 hours ago, Treble said:

So modern kaiju rankings, then:

Pacific Rim

Kong: Skull Island

Shin Godzilla

Godzilla

Godzilla: KotM

Godzilla vs Kong

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Rampage :D

Umm... snap. Except I haven't seen Rampage.

Maybe I'd put 2014 above Shin.

loving the hate for PR uprising!

that movie was to its original as the RoboCop cartoon was to the visceral Paul Verhoeven masterpiece. why bother expanding a concept and building a universe when you stack a movie with kids and go for toy sales!

Prometheus guy's take: If it wasn't for the fact that Margot Robbie confirmed there's a 20 hour QT cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...this would be the best Hollywood event since the start of the pandemic. I wonder how much of the effects work was gifted by more time, disproportionate to the cost, or whether they released what was ready.

That was impressive and fun and I have no complaints. 

Someone needs to send Hollywood screenwriters a memo that conspiracy obsessed loner comedy sidekicks aren't such a cutesy addition to films in the age of QAnon.

I'm really struggling to understand the positive reception this seems to be getting. I saw it for rent last night and dived straight in because I really enjoyed Skull Island.  The film opens with a light hearted shot, Kong scratches his backside as he strolls through the forest accompanied by some up beat music and I think , ok I like where this is going, a bit tongue in cheek... but does something look a little off with the CG ?

That was the high point of the film (ok the final battle was the high point I guess that i will conceed was pretty good) it was  all downhill from here. The "plot" was offensivly stupid. Not "we are playing the self aware stupid angle" , but just a load of bollocks stupid.  

Spoiler

The fight on the boat was just terrible, there is just no way any of that was remotely feasable.  No way those boats could support that. Then godzilla drowns Kong, but some depth charges sudenly free Kong and he appears back at the surface :/  "Turn everything off and hell go away" - Kong and Zilla stare at each other and oh he goes away.

And never mind that they can just contain Kong and ferry him wherever they want now apparantly. But then he can rip the neck restraint right off when it suits him. 

The nod being that the little girl is stopping him I guess? 

The human parts of the story were completely forgetable, aside from some truly terrible bits, the three stooges stumbling around

Spoiler

magically withstanding G forces, bypassing security and saving the day by spilling coffee on a computer

was pretty annoying throughout.  The rest of the cast were non entities, except for the deaf girl.

Spoiler

Middle of the earth guff was just terrible. Instant transport through some kind of wormhole in new magical antigravity vehicles? And I really resent the "validating the conspiracy theory" point of it all.

Then Godzilla.... TUNNELS TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH!!! I mean wtf he suddenly senses somehting, and then stands there breathing nuclear fire at the ground  for presumably 200 years , but no suddenly hes bored a tunnel straight down to EXACTLY where Kong and the Humans are.... (without hurting them) he then peers down the hole... and walks off?!  Then Kong climbs from the center of the earth and pops out of the hole... Godzilla seems suprised for some reason, then they have a fight.

And all of this crap is played straight. They could have got away with some of it if it was a little more knowing. The comedy relief fell (flat) on the human moments, which really didnt work for me.  

After that the main fight is ok. But I still maintain the CG isnt a patch on Skull Island, there is something that just isn't right about it. I think it might be slightly too low res for the scale ? 

And finally I couldnt help feeling that there was untold death and destruction occuring wthout even really a nod to it. If you take Pacific Rim for example the whole point of the film is protecting the people, they show them going into bunkers and hiding at least. In this there is not even a mention of the 10s or 100s of thousands of people being flattened. Kong is hurled through a sky scraper and flattens 3 city blocks, and the focus is "oh no the poor guy has hurt his shoulder".  No one seems to care in the slightest, not even a mention of it really.

There was the potential of a good film in there, realised for a while in the final fight, but wrapped in a steaming turd.

2/5

There is literally a shot in this where they call the evacuation of Hong Kong and you see people rushing in to huge armoured bunkers labelled "TITAN SHELTER".

And if you didn't like the physics in the boat fight I have some bad news for you about megafauna in general. :lol: 

Edit - Don't get me wrong, there is a lot (almost everything?!) wrong with this gloriously stupid movie, but you seem to have singled out things that didn't seem to be of any actual significance, or which you feel don't make any scientific sense but which are fine?

Shower thoughts on what was going on with the script:

Spoiler

It feels to me that there was probably about 30 minutes of stuff about Apex that got sliced out relatively late. Their goals and decisions are basically the driving force of the movie, and it would've been a nice contrast with the previous movie following Monarch, but instead they're just kind of there when necessary for the plot, and we stick with Kong and co as they react to Apex. So we don't get, say, a peaceful status quo with Godzilla that is shattered, because we jump straight in to his attack on their facility. (Unlike the very efficient intro scene for Kong, where he's been, why he wasn't in the last one, what he needs etc.) We don't get the motivations for the second-in-command (Serizawa's son!) going after the Titans. We don't get much of a plot for Godzilla which would, presumably, have made more of everyone being conned in to thinking Godzilla has gone rogue. And that would lead in to Mechagodzilla's malign presence and a sense of it being part of some nasty plot before it gets hijacked by King Gidorah.

A 2.5 hour version of this would've been terribly tedious and it certainly can carry itself on our empathy for Kong and simple momentum, but I'm beginning to wonder if there's a tentpole movie with a shooting script under 200 pages any more.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

There is literally a shot in this where they call the evacuation of Hong Kong and you see people rushing in to huge armoured bunkers labelled "TITAN SHELTER".

And if you didn't like the physics in the boat fight I have some bad news for you about megafauna in general. :lol: 

Edit - Don't get me wrong, there is a lot (almost everything?!) wrong with this gloriously stupid movie, but you seem to have singled out things that didn't seem to be of any actual significance, or which you feel don't make any scientific sense but which are fine?

I must have missed that for sure, but conversly there are also (brief) shots of people on the ground screaming under foot during the fight.

Yes you have to take the whole thing with a pinch of salt regarding the physics of giant monsters. But why go out of your way to make it so ridiculous. It feels like all the way through this people were saying "Hey wouldnt it be cool if..." and no one said, "guys thats fucking stupid".   "How do we get them back from here to there?" "OOOhh I know what if..."  :facepalm:

At least we can agree that almost everything is wrong with it! 

Jesus, didn't think I'd ever see a film with more city destruction than Man of Steel, this movie makes that film look like an episode of Grand Designs. Fucking buildings going pop all over the show.

It looked splendid on my Kaiju sized TV with Atmos, HDR and Philips Hue disco sync but couldn't help mutter expletives every few minutes at the unbelievable amount of fantasy genocide. I know it's a big dumb monster movie but that was some indulgent destruction, don't think one single character ever lamented the toll going on around them either. Suppose that's how the Toho movies play out too though? I haven't watched an old Godzilla film since I was a kid but seem to remember the men in rubber suits wrestling amongst facsimiles of Tokyo.

Daft, worthless plot with bland characters but some A1 visuals that had me enjoy my time with it. Poor old Hong Kong though.

Between the Transformers, Godzilla and the Jeagers, Hong Kong’s been ruined more times than by Colonialism. 

Did smirk at Zavala’s “evacuate the city” plea with a quick cut to a TITAN shelter tho.