Does Nintendo's attitude put you off buying their stuff?

I bought the wii u fairly soon after release and it really did feel like a golden era of Nintendo games/creativity. It completely rekindled a fairly dead interest in modern gaming(I had completely skipped the ps3/360 but never stopped playing snes/megadrive etc). I can see how the switch might be the "best console ever" if you didn't have a wii u, but if you did I honestly think that aside from a couple of exceptions, the first party switch exclusives are pretty lacklustre.

3d World is out soon on Switch. Probably the best game I've played in the past 10 years and in my top 5 of all time. Most people here who play it for the first time this year will point to it as another reason the switch is the best console ever but for me it's a port of a great wii u game I played years ago, so not quite as exciting. 

That said I think rereleasing every wii u game full price on Switch was completely the right move for them, since they may as well be brand new games as far as most switch owners are concerned.

As for the question in the OP, nope, I only care about the quality of the games. More tempted to say goodbye to playstation (and xbox lol), as I've never been less interested in what those guys are peddling than I am now and I can play indies just fine on my aging gaming pc. 

4 hours ago, dumpster said:

I mean that some company releases Ninjabread Man for £39.99, it's rubbish and completely fails at retail but then when it hits £4.99 in a dump bin at a garage forecourt it shifts some units, leading to a better overall attach rate for the Wii. The gamers bought all the excellent Mario Galaxies and Resident Evils but there was a sizeable market that didn't treat it as a console and were happy with the Wii Sports and the occasional impulse purchase of something cheap.  It was significant that Nintendo bucked the trend for loss-making hardware and were selling the console itself at a profit. The Wii tapped into a market for people who bought the console for the family at Xmas and packed it all away after new year.

But like I say, I haven't researched , I'm just spouting what I remember being said at the time, I'm probably wrong.

This is the Nintendo effect highlighted earlier - I want to believe something is true because that’s my opinion even though the facts speak otherwise. 

On 14/01/2021 at 10:57, Popo said:

No, but I’ll never forgive them for how much they wanted to charge me for repairing my joy con (I didn’t pay, so now I’m stuck with a broken joy con).

How can the repairs cost more than a new single joy con? Madness. 

I agree but they have offered free repairs on Joycons for a long time now, no receipt required.

5 hours ago, partious said:

I bought the wii u fairly soon after release and it really did feel like a golden era of Nintendo games/creativity. It completely rekindled a fairly dead interest in modern gaming(I had completely skipped the ps3/360 but never stopped playing snes/megadrive etc). I can see how the switch might be the "best console ever" if you didn't have a wii u, but if you did I honestly think that aside from a couple of exceptions, the first party switch exclusives are pretty lacklustre.

3d World is out soon on Switch. Probably the best game I've played in the past 10 years and in my top 5 of all time. Most people here who play it for the first time this year will point to it as another reason the switch is the best console ever but for me it's a port of a great wii u game I played years ago, so not quite as exciting. 

That said I think rereleasing every wii u game full price on Switch was completely the right move for them, since they may as well be brand new games as far as most switch owners are concerned.

As for the question in the OP, nope, I only care about the quality of the games. More tempted to say goodbye to playstation (and xbox lol), as I've never been less interested in what those guys are peddling than I am now and I can play indies just fine on my aging gaming pc. 

Really was a great console. As noted Super Mario 3D was great on it. The second screen added to the games on that too. Remember interacting with it a fair bit on 3D Mario.  It would feel like it was missing something on the Switch. Sure it used the microphone in the controller too remember blowing into it at one point for some parts of the game. After getting a Switch a while back felt like a bit of a disappointment after the WiiU.

Didn’t the director change or have a breakdown or something? Who knows what ugly practices lie behind the production of their video games? Certainly, there is a high chance people work hours that would make your eyes roll around.

That's Japan in general.

A few years ago the government issued a guideline (not a law, just a guideline) that firms limit overtime to 100 hours a month!

If a month has 20 working days, that's 5 hours of overtime a day.  And that's the new recommended limit, so Christ knows what the old one was.

That's in a culture famous for unpaid overtime to boot.

If Nintendo didn't make their staff put in shitloads of overtime, they'd be one of few major companies in Japan that don't.

7 hours ago, partious said:

The free pass that Japanese companies get from people concerned about this recent "crunch" issue just because the western games media don't seem to have the ability to cover them as easily as EA/Ubisoft or at all (and Japanese games journalism died about 20 years ago) is borderline willfull ignorance. 

It's Japan. Unless you explicitly know that a company is a rare exception to the rule, you should start from the assumption that they're pressured to do a totally unreasonable level of overtime.

There's wilful ignorance, and there's writing off 100% of a country's output on the assumption that every company there is following the pattern of overtime that said nation is infamous for allowing. I can't do anything about the state of reporting on Japanese developers, but I'm not about to tar them all with one brush either, any more than I work on the assumption that every American studio abuses their staff with 0-benefit, 0-holiday, 0-security roles; or that every British studio is staffed solely by presenteeist jobsworths given more hours to work than work to fill it, even though those are the working conditions their respective countries are internationally renowned for.

There's been quite a few times Nintendo has been vocal about how much they try to avoid crunch. Animal Crossing getting delayed to 2020 was a result of Nintendo wanting to avoid excessive crunch according to this story: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/21/nintendo-comments-on-crunch-and-game-delays-a-e3-2019

The year before that story, Reggie stated that Nintendo makes use of various partners and contract workers to add to the development team so that they can avoid crunch as much as possible: https://www.vice.com/en/article/mbkm33/we-asked-nintendo-microsoft-and-12-other-devs-how-they-deal-with-crunch

Aonuma has gone on the record as well, stating that the various delays to Zelda games have come from a mentality that "staff comes first". https://nintendosoup.com/the-legend-of-zelda-series-producer-eiji-aonuma-on-crunch-overtime/

And finally, Nintendo will acquire Next Level Games later this year. A studio that was founded on the principle to avoid crunch all together, after its founders had a bad time with it while working at Black Box Games. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/114560/GDC_Canada_Next_Levels_Tronsgard_On_The_AntiCrunch_Manifesto.php

I'd be very surprised if the agreement reached didn't stipulate Nintendo's responsibility to keep the anti crunch culture that studio was founded upon.

I don't doubt quite a few games from Nintendo have been made with crunch. One of Mario 64's programmers got so burned out that he quit the industry alltogether so they're no stranger to it. But at the very least, it seems that Nintendo strives to avoid it as much as possible to keep up employee morale.

45 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I'm surprised people think Nintendo don't crunch. 

Didn't they make everyone finish BotW on their weekend every week?

There’s that Nintendo effect again!

3 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

I agree but they have offered free repairs on Joycons for a long time now, no receipt required.

Yea, they repaired the same joy con at no charge once before, while it was still in warranty. This time they wanted 40 notes. 

20 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

I'm surprised people think Nintendo don't crunch. 

From a Western perspective they almost certainly do. However, for example, the recent Jason Schreier report about the Cyberpunk devs working 13 hours a day and having full weekends off sounds very precious from a Japanese perspective. That’s almost standard for any salaried employee.

It’s not Japanese companies that get excluded from the crunch conversation, it’s first parties or large companies in general.

The media isn’t going to piss off Nintendo when they’re a big driver of traffic. I mean look at Sony, Naughty Dog were crunching for ten years and the studio head was tweeting out sarcy tweets whenever an anti-crunch article came out, so I don’t doubt everyone knew, they just weren’t going to report it when the PS5 comes out because it could jeopardise their relationship. It took Someone going to Bloomberg, an outlet not reliant on having a positive relationship with Sony to break the story, once it was out there, then they could report it without consequences.

If you’re a little indie you’re not worth going to town on because no one cares unless you do a racism or something. Big publisher, probably not unless stuff is already out there (see the Ubisoft stuff that was raised in Republique first). The only people who get criticism tend to be independent AAA developers because they’re big enough to be notable, but vulnerable enough that they can’t effectively retaliate and cut off access, and the result of them getting it in the neck while no one else does means it ends up looking disproportionate.

17 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Because Radiohead didn't do grunge or didn't do it well?

Hey who am I to say what they did or didn’t do, I just meant that they’d reached a point of no return similar to the position Nintendo found themselves in post GameCube as Yamauchi stepped down and Iwata took them in a new direction, that’s all :)

On 14/01/2021 at 00:32, dumpster said:

I won't be buying their stuff any more, and wondered if that's a thought that anyone else ever had?  

Yes. Nintendo has given me so many good memories but it has become a stagnant company. 

The N64 was a fantastic console, but Nintendo decided it didn’t have what it takes to compete with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo today is more of a niche and many of its followers will buy out of brand loyalty. 

I really wish they would get back in the console race.

24 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Cannot tell if serious. 

I dont mean to gatekeep console gaming, but I really dont look at handheld as a console like the Playstation or Xbox.