Does Nintendo's attitude put you off buying their stuff?

12 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The fact that Nintendo are very successful at what they do seems to properly piss people off. It pisses some people off more than crunch culture and sexual misconduct at other video game companies does. It's all very, very fucking weird.

Bit of weird projection there. Who's pissed off in this thread?

21 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The fact that Nintendo are very successful at what they do seems to properly piss people off. It pisses some people off more than crunch culture and sexual misconduct at other video game companies does. It's all very, very fucking weird.

Eh? Some reaching going on here.

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

"An antidote to brown and browner games" is a comment that wasn't really relevant since the 360 era.

It sounds particularly stupid given the variety and availability of indie games now, most of which are a million miles from 'brown'.

Even AAA games aren't really 'brown' any more, that brown was a stylistic choice taken in the 360/ps3 era to hide graphical limitations of the machines.

£200 will get you a phone significantly more powerful than a Swtich.

Flagship phones are now 3-4 times more powerful than a Switch.

With nothing worth playing on them and designed to be thrown away in 18 months. 

So you've never noticed it? That this comes up over and over again. That they should stop making console games and concentrate on mobile games? I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to say that it annoys people that Nintendo do what Nintendo do and are good at it. Or is it just me? Alright then.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

So you've never noticed it? That this comes up over and over again. That they should stop making console games and concentrate on mobile games? I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to say that it annoys people that Nintendo doing what Nintendo do and being good at it. Or is it just me? Alright then.

People suggesting that they make a play for the mobile market does not mean that they are annoyed at them doing well at what they are doing.

It's a really odd projection you've got there.

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

I remember refunding a customer for Home Alone on SNES in the early '90s, and he was distraught pointing to the box and saying, "the seal of quality!  It means nothing!"

966381.jpg.090b299710c210214757f01b1c17e331.jpg

15 minutes ago, Isaac said:

People suggesting that they make a play for the mobile market does not mean that they are annoyed at them doing well at what they are doing.

It's a really odd projection you've got there.

It’s not an odd projection at all - just read through this thread for proof “their hardware is underpowered, mobiles are better, they should release Animal Crossing on iOS” etc. Kind of odd for a company that is currently selling more hardware and games than anyone else. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s not an odd projection at all - just read through this thread for proof “their hardware is underpowered, mobiles are better, they should release Animal Crossing on iOS” etc. Kind of odd for a company that is currently selling more hardware and games than anyone else. 

You've managed to misrepresent literally every point made there (besides the hardware being underpowered).

:hat:

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

You've managed to misrepresent literally every point made there (besides the hardware being underpowered).

:hat:

Of course I have, I put the words in your mouth. 

For those who claim the GameCube was not an innovative piece of hardware - I draw your attention to the carry handle and storage compartments at the bottom; it was actually designed to be a dual console-handbag, the first and only example of this. 

"It pisses some people off more than crunch culture and sexual misconduct at other video game companies does"

This is the weird projection. Why does not being particularly keen on Nintendo mean that they piss you off more than crunch culture or sexual misconduct?

Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

"It pisses some people off more than crunch culture and sexual misconduct at other video game companies does"

This is the weird projection. Why does not being particularly keen on Nintendo mean that they piss you off more than crunch culture or sexual misconduct?

Bizarre.

Well when you consider the OP was so pissed off with Nintendo’s attitude towards protecting their own IP that they sold their Switch, it’s not much of a leap to then go on to comparing them with other video games companies who are guilty of, reportedly, much worse, without conflating the two. 

1 hour ago, K said:

There’s definitely a double standard with Nintendo, where their successes are treated like fads and aberrations and are assumed to be failing even when they’re seeing consoles hand over fist, as opposed to Sony and Microsoft, whose successes are treated like the natural order of things. 

In fairness the Wii kind of was a fad - Even Nintendo seem to think this at some level given that they never bothered doing a proper successor. 

The Switch isn’t nearly as out there an idea as the Wii though, it just seems like the logical progression of what a Nintendo console should be.

Like, in 1998 if someone told you that by 2021 Nintendo had combined their home and handheld consoles into a single device that could fulfil both functions you’d nod your head. If someone told you that in 2005 they’d release a motion control machine your head would explode.

1 minute ago, K said:

This is what I don't understand. Why was the Wii a fad? It sold more consoles than the PS3 and the 360 - why isn't that considered Nintendo making a better product and judging the market better than Sony and Microsoft?

No disrespect to the Wii - just that it did have a period of intense demand followed by a pretty sharp drop off. And like I said, why didn’t Nintendo make a Wii 2 instead of pivoting to the Wii U which as others have mentioned in this topic was more like a prototype Switch?

9 minutes ago, Flanders said:

In fairness the Wii kind of was a fad - Even Nintendo seem to think this at some level given that they never bothered doing a proper successor. 

The Switch isn’t nearly as out there an idea as the Wii though, it just seems like the logical progression of what a Nintendo console should be.

Like, in 1998 if someone told you that by 2021 Nintendo had combined their home and handheld consoles into a single device that could fulfil both functions you’d nod your head. If someone told you that in 2005 they’d release a motion control machine your head would explode.

People didn’t believe they were going to combine the two right up until its reveal in 2016 despite rumours, leaked documents etc. 

But ignoring that the Switch combines all the elements that made the Wii successful (family games, lifestyle, motion controls) so I’d argue it’s the logical progression of everything that’s made them successful in the past combined in one device. 

10 minutes ago, K said:

This is what I don't understand. Why was the Wii a fad? It sold more consoles than the PS3 and the 360 - why isn't that considered Nintendo making a better product and judging the market better than Sony and Microsoft?

Indeed never considered the Wii a fad at all. It was popular and brought lots of people in to play and have fun. IMHO it was the most inclusive console ever made. It had Mario, Zelda but also Wii Sports etc. Some of my family had never touched a gaming device for years and since the Wii went never have again. It was a beautifully simple device. Personally when I look back over the years it is one of the best gaming consoles ever released IMHO.

They did follow it up of course with a WiiU but after the Wii where could they go? 

1 minute ago, Flanders said:

No disrespect to the Wii - just that it did have a period of intense demand followed by a pretty sharp drop off. And like I said, why didn’t Nintendo make a Wii 2 instead of pivoting to the Wii U which as others have mentioned in this topic was more like a prototype Switch?

But the Wii U still used the same Wii Remotes for controllers as the Wii, it was them trying to combine the Wii and the DS, basically. They have now achieved that with the Switch.

14 minutes ago, K said:

From what I understand the attach rate of software after someone was sold a console was tiny. The software numbers never added up to the consoles sold. Also it's not really like the Wiimote was ever used to decent effect outside of Nintendo developed games and no other company copied its technology.

I honestly believe the Wii was a very unique console for the time. Probably wouldn't say it was a fad, but I think it was definitely an anomoly.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

I honestly believe the Wii was a very unique console for the time. Probably wouldn't say it was a fad, but I think it was definitely an anomoly.

Indeed. It was more like a family friendly electronic toy. Just typically Nintendo though the march to the beat of their own drum.

I don't really consider them to be in the same market as Sony or Microsoft anymore they left that when they released the Wii. 

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

I remember refunding a customer for Home Alone on SNES in the early '90s, and he was distraught pointing to the box and saying, "the seal of quality!  It means nothing!"

I got that game for Christmas (I did not ask for it). Was an absolutely stinker. 

7 minutes ago, K said:

None of this really says "fad" to me. This is where the double standard comes in - Modern Warfare sells 30m copies on several formats, and those are considered proper, solid, sales. New Super Mario Bros Wii sells similar numbers on just one format, but those aren't proper sales - they're somehow flimsy and ephemeral. If you look down the list of best-selling videogames, there are an awful lot of Wii games on there.

If it only sold as it did the first Christmas, then fad would be fair, but it was a decent machine with some good games that continued success (unless we also say wii fit was a fad). I do wonder if a sequel without that clunky tablet would have done better (couldn't have done worse), but then we wouldn't have the wonderful switch.

Just a few quick points.

-Microsoft's revenue isn't $900 billion a year. They are a massive company that make a lot of money but $900 billion revenue? No. 

-Nvidia were trying to do the whole high powered handheld that can easily hook to your TV with the Shield Portable but it never really took off. It was neat though and the Shield tablet was great. I wish there was a modern equivalent but I don't think we'll ever get that. :(

Dunno how this has descended into any criticism automatically means Nintendo's entire approach is invalid to the point where someone feels the need to say 'ehh they're doing their own thing leave them alone'. 

I don't care about hardware or comparing specs of consoles. I think of them as a videogame developer first and I expect them to develop games and explore the medium and come at it from different angles whilst not losing the playability people expect. 

Are people angry about it really or is this topic made once every 3 years and people say the same things as before in slightly different ways. 

2 hours ago, K said:

There’s definitely a double standard with Nintendo, where their successes are treated like fads and aberrations and are assumed to be failing even when they’re selling consoles hand over fist, as opposed to Sony and Microsoft, whose successes are treated like the natural order of things. 

I mean, Sony/Microsoft/PC between them encompass most of entire broader core games industry, whereas Nintendo make Nintendo consoles to mostly play Nintendo games. They largely exist within their own bubble.