IGNORED

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 12/02(Switch)

bear

18 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

What's the single player verdict from you folks? Too empty and easy? Or still essential?

I posted earlier but I played the Wii U version 100% solo and I’m buying it for the Switch to do so again. The later difficult post game levels I couldn’t even imagine playing multiplayer. Too much is made of this being a multiplayer game I reckon.

45 minutes ago, Majora said:

Just ploughed through to the start of world 4 solo. Dare I say that I think this might be better than Galaxy? There's still a long way to go but I might.

Galaxy is obviously great and comparing the top-tier Mario games is a bit like comparing your favourite sexual acts but my opinion of Galaxy went down just a little playing it through again in the 3D collection. The not always helpful camera, the more open levels which were a bit boring, the over-reliance on making you run around tiny spheres to collect 8 shards of a star so you could propel yourself to the next planetoid, the not very subtle asset swaps going on towards the end of the main game, the slightly underwhelming array of suits. At its best it's glorious and it has a cinematic exuberance that 3D World doesn't really attempt to match but it wasn't quite the incredible masterpiece I recalled it being 13 years prior. 

3D World is ridiculously punchy, possibly the punchiest Mario games I can recall playing. It makes Galaxy feel positively slow and laboured so rapidly does it freewheel through a dazzling array of ideas and concepts with breathtaking speed. It's by far the best attempt Nintendo have ever made to capture the essence of the 2D games in 3D. It's simply brilliant.

Agreed. Played through Galaxy for the first time in 3D All Stars and it was a slog. 3D World executes a similar style much better.

1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

I was surprised that the multiplayer doesn't scale at all by adding more enemies etc.

I don’t think it needs to, in many ways it’s more difficult the more players you add unless you’re an extremely coordinated team, which me, my daughter & my wife certainly ain’t :lol:

5 hours ago, Majora said:

Just ploughed through to the start of world 4 solo. Dare I say that I think this might be better than Galaxy? There's still a long way to go but I might.

Galaxy is obviously great and comparing the top-tier Mario games is a bit like comparing your favourite sexual acts but my opinion of Galaxy went down just a little playing it through again in the 3D collection. The not always helpful camera, the more open levels which were a bit boring, the over-reliance on making you run around tiny spheres to collect 8 shards of a star so you could propel yourself to the next planetoid, the not very subtle asset swaps going on towards the end of the main game, the slightly underwhelming array of suits. At its best it's glorious and it has a cinematic exuberance that 3D World doesn't really attempt to match but it wasn't quite the incredible masterpiece I recalled it being 13 years prior. 

3D World is ridiculously punchy, possibly the punchiest Mario games I can recall playing. It makes Galaxy feel positively slow and laboured so rapidly does it freewheel through a dazzling array of ideas and concepts with breathtaking speed. It's by far the best attempt Nintendo have ever made to capture the essence of the 2D games in 3D. It's simply brilliant.

Well said. Super Mario 3D World is like a super-refined version of Super Mario Galaxy, which is too slow and plodding in places to be top tier Mario for me. 3D World cuts out the filler and gets to the good stuff, no messing around.

EDIT: But to be fair, I do think Galaxy lost something in the transition from wii remote to standard controller. It’d be like playing Astro Bot in non-VR.

Bowser's Fury is just so good. Packed with proper platforming challenges, relentless in its distractions, somehow feels small and neat and yet gigantic at the same time.

I'm also finding it weirdly reminiscent of other Nintendo games. Namely Splatoon's single player and the 'I wonder what's on that island over there' sense of adventure of Wind Waker. 

Mad to think it's the second best game in the collection. 

Got to the final level of 3D land this morning. Found I was 5 stars short of unlocking it. It’s been amazing up till now but much like lives I feel like locking the main path behind a collectible is a little outdated. Doesn’t add anything for me. But I’ll go back and grab a few more (which will be fun).

But it triggered me to switch to Bowsers Fury for the first time. Love it. I really enjoy the structure of these little platforming worlds to explore in a larger world. I could honestly leave out Bowser entirely tbh (yes, I think boss fights are the worst part of every game they’re in).

Its telling that it’s built from the assets of 3D World and that holds it back a little once you know the other. Just done the stadium zone and the bosses there being lifts from 3D world is a bit of a let down.

Done as a full standalone game I think this could be absolutely top tier Mario. This feels like the real modern 3D version of the 2D games. Merging the over world map into the levels themselves.

Reached the credits of Bowser’s Fury. The final 15-30 minutes or so are it’s worst IMO.

Spoiler

Getting to about 45 or so shines just makes bowsers appearances constant. It doesn’t really tell you what is changing. At one point I spent ages just using hoping he’d piss off and let me get back to the good part of the game but he wouldn’t. Eventually collected a shine and he went away. Only to respawn almost instantly.

Collecting the next shows you can no longer get rid of him him. So the last 3 or so you have to do with him active. Fine if you’ve got some easy pickings but bad if you don’t know of a few easy ones to grab.

And my god. The final post shadow bowser chase isn’t fun at all IMO. It makes you want to feel like you need to go fast to get your hits in but in reality that just gets you hit. A lot. And in the end I’m pretty sure every hit is entirely scripted. So you’re not really playing anything at all.

Ive loved most of it. More than 3D World.

But I’d say everything to do with Bowser only harms the flow of the game. I wonder at what point Nintendo might try a Mario game with no big bad. Probably never but to me the joy is all in exploration and platforming. No Mario game has been enhanced by its bosses

I haven’t even got this yet, but from what I’ve seen I can tell I’ll really want a “fully fledged” Bowser’s Fury once I’m done with it. Even though I was late to the Switch party, I’ve gone through quite a few games on it, and Odyssey still outshines them all...probably because I’ve either played most of my favourites on Wii U (including BoTW) or because they’re not quite as ambitious or packed with a continuous stream of surprising gaming ideas / content as a full brand new Mario game. Still, it’s good to get something fresh with 3D World. I just wonder if, given its concept, it would have been even better as a “proper” new Mario adventure combining the best of all these games? Is that coming? But I should actually wait till the thing’s arrived before commenting based out of cravings. :-D

I missed it first time round but as somebody already mentioned I do find the theming of the worlds odd. 

Like on the ice world (3) there is a ghost mansion and a chain link world. 

Doesn't really matter but seems odd and out of place. 

3 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

Just came to post this, ordered obvs!

Im surprised to read all this ‘is it any good solo’  as it’s genuinely one of the best Mario games around, it introduced the throw away idea levels that blew your mind and then they moved on to the next amazing idea :wub::wub:

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Reached the credits of Bowser’s Fury. The final 15-30 minutes or so are it’s worst IMO.

Reveal hidden contents

Getting to about 45 or so shines just makes bowsers appearances constant. It doesn’t really tell you what is changing. At one point I spent ages just using hoping he’d piss off and let me get back to the good part of the game but he wouldn’t. Eventually collected a shine and he went away. Only to respawn almost instantly.

Collecting the next shows you can no longer get rid of him him. So the last 3 or so you have to do with him active. Fine if you’ve got some easy pickings but bad if you don’t know of a few easy ones to grab.

And my god. The final post shadow bowser chase isn’t fun at all IMO. It makes you want to feel like you need to go fast to get your hits in but in reality that just gets you hit. A lot. And in the end I’m pretty sure every hit is entirely scripted. So you’re not really playing anything at all.

Ive loved most of it. More than 3D World.

But I’d say everything to do with Bowser only harms the flow of the game. I wonder at what point Nintendo might try a Mario game with no big bad. Probably never but to me the joy is all in exploration and platforming. No Mario game has been enhanced by its bosses

RE: Final battle.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure that the hits aren't scripted as I failed once and the second time I got him at different times. I think it has to do with how many successive speed up strips you run over without getting hit; like if you manage three or four in a row then you'll smash into Bowser. It's certainly a pain having to collect shines while Bowser's having a paddy, but he seems to calm down again after the credits at least for a while. 

4 minutes ago, Professor Puzzles said:

RE: Final battle.

Hide contents

I'm pretty sure that the hits aren't scripted as I failed once and the second time I got him at different times. I think it has to do with how many successive speed up strips you run over without getting hit; like if you manage three or four in a row then you'll smash into Bowser. It's certainly a pain having to collect shines while Bowser's having a paddy, but he seems to calm down again after the credits at least for a while. 

Good if it's not scripted. Still a frustrating section imo. Chewed my power up store (basically extra lives I guess).

And yeah, he seems more settled now. In fact so much so I might need to find a Bowser Amiibo (or make one) so I can trigger him on command. I feel like post game I'd rather have control of his spawning rather than the map hints.

I got to world 6 last night and have nearly 100 lives, I'm very confused about the people citing lack of lives as an issue. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a particularly amazing player either. I am quite good at the slot machines though.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

I know, some proper shit players in here. Go and play Super Mario Bros 3 to train yourself up a bit.

I think I have about 830 lives after using the shell exploit on 1-2 just kinda wanted to see how many I could get before the timer went off. 

Playing Bower’s Fury a wee bit this evening. It’s using the Odyssey, I think?

Also, punch is gone, which is great, but is it my imagination or is there no triple-jump, or has the timing for it just got very difficult?