IGNORED

Arcade Imperfect... coming soon from Golem Books!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited about you guys seeing it too - it really has turned out well (if I say so myself!) Just had confirmation from the printer this afternoon that they're being delivered here this coming Monday at 6pm, so I'll have just about managed to quaff a quick cup of tea after my first day back in the classroom since December before having to puzzle over where in my tiny cottage I'm going to stack 20 boxes of books (and then, shortly after dinner, begins the packing-and-posting!)

On 03/03/2021 at 15:44, Rex Grossman said:

What was behind the decision to put the text in wide columns? I personally always find that hard to read and prefer it split into 2 or more narrow columns.

Wide columns are sexy!

On 03/03/2021 at 16:39, schmojo said:

Ok, this is driving me crazy. What's this text treatment getting inspiration from? I thought it was Elite Systems, but I don't think it is:

image.png.fe68dfd27688aca39f06b9a4f20a31f6.png

The cover was originally going to be an adapted version of either the Ghosts 'N Goblins loading screen or the Space Harrier loading screen (both Amstrad CPC versions); I'd already done (as in adapted) all the pixel-style art myself for both versions, but then I inadvertently ended up getting into a bit of a ding-dong with Ste Pickford over wanting to use an adapted version of his GNG loading screen, and I wasn't completely satisfied with how the Space Harrier one looked, so in the end I approached Oliver Frey and asked if he could create a painted version based on Space Harrier instead (with a Gauntlety twist), retaining the spirit of the original (Roger did the lettering actually).

Here's the loading screen:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/cpc/space-harrier/screenshots/gameShotId,576436/

... and if you scroll up a few posts to the most recent Twitter link you can see that I've kept the pixellated title for the cover underneath the dust jacket (so it matches The Book of the Game of the Film!)

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

Send mine first! Please. 

:lol: Okay! Should have the first lot out the door by Wednesday (just need to gather my strength tonight after a busy first day back at school, but I'll be packing like there's no tomorrow, er, tomorrow!)

Quick update everyone: so far I'm managing to get about 10-15 books packed every evening, so all those expecting a copy of Arcade Imperfect can expect theirs to be dispatched in the next week or so (around 40 are in the post already, leaving something like 130 to go). :)

I wasn’t in paid employment when I saw this so have missed all the backers stuff and didn’t even order a copy. Is it still available @merman? Wouldn’t mind taking a look, it was always a challenge bringing arcade versions to home computers and I’m interested to read other developer’s stories.

9 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

Mine arrived today and it looks great after a quick flick through. I'll enjoy sitting down to some proper reading later on. Thanks for sending it out so quickly.

You're welcome! Happy reading. :)

I worked with Dave Collier who coded C64 Green Beret at Creations. Really nice guy but he'd retired from programming by that point and was our IT department. Another coder whose softography I was jealous of. That said, Ste Ruddy also worked there at the same time.