In our house Bomberman in Battle mode has proven a big hit recently and we seemed to have settled on Super Bomberman 2. We have a translated version of SBM4 and like the 5-player mode and graphics, but it feels like they've added too much with the custom moves, eggs, and player throwing all detracting from the classic bombing action. It's not just me (who was a fan of Dynablaster on Amiga back in the day), the young 'uns also agree. I've yet to patch SBM3 to see if it's a happy medium.

How do you prefer it, simple or maximalist?

We're playing on a Raspberry Pi so sadly have no way to assess the Saturn version. The PC Engine ones would be possible though.

I bought Bomberman Live on the 360 but they laughed it off so that's ruled out.

I'll be honest the one that got the most play for me was the PlayStation One, i used to play against my girlfriend at the times brother and his mates it used to be a right good laugh.

We also had good fun with Bomberman racing or whatever it was called too.

I will admit i have no idea what your options for the Pi are when in comes to PlayStation one games. 

Saturn Bomberman was the pinnacle of the series. It was all downhill from there... although the newest one on Switch and Xbox Gamepass is quite fun. 

Edit: saw you’re using a Pi. If Saturn B won’t work then Mega B is great.

Edit 2: An overclocked Pi 4 might handle Saturn B at a decent frame rate (slightly laggy on standard Pi 4).

8 hours ago, artz said:

How do you prefer it, simple or maximalist?

Simple. I think the 5 player PC Engine Bomberman is the ne plus ultra of the Bomberman concept. Fast, funny, perfect with a crowd, incredibly simple to pick up and play and without the distractions that later versions added.

Thanks all, it prompted me to do some digging.

For simple matches PCE Bomberman supports 5 players and looks like the best bet.

For a few more options it looks like Mega and PCE 94 are the same except the PC Engine supports 5 players. Mounts but no special character moves or player throwing or that sort of guff.

Seems like SNES is not the way to go which suprised me, I had it in my head that they were the definitive versions (except Saturn which will remain a distant dream!).

Next question: which battle stage? Personally I can't stand anything other than the first one.

Another vote for Bomberman 93!   :)   I do however have a SNES, the hudson multitap and Super Bomberman  and that version isn't bad by any stretch - it's the one I played the most BITD.

Bomberman 2, SNES, PAL and playing it for hours on end at my local youth club as a child... and somehow I have that very cartridge in my collection, boxed an all, well chuffed I've had that for a good 20+ years, cnt remember how I obtained it, but it was legitimately, swapped for something or another.

Played 3 & 4 since, but none other than 2 gets me going, and, stage 1 all the way, keep it simple.

9 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

I play Bomberman 93 and 4 on the PC Engine mini. One of them is basically the same as Mega Bomberman on the Megadrive. All this has been said above, including the 5 player part. Enjoy!

Yeah, PC Engine '93 and '94 are the next best Bomberman games after the Saturn version, for sure.

I've had a quick look at differences between Super Bomberman 2 vs Bomberman 93.

(Speed & power glove pickups, adjustable COM level, 4 players) vs (bomb line pickup, 5 players).

I wonder why there were only 4 players until the 3rd edition on the SNES. I would guess that they were stuggling for CPU cycles rather than limiting for gameplay reasons. Interestingly there is a debug CPU monitor in SBM2 using Action Replay code C100BF01.