Controllers - Batteries not included

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

How much of a doofus do you have to be to hear that Microsoft and Duracell have a deal, and then conclude that Big Alkaline is calling the shots in the Xbox division?

Even if it was true Duracell aren't getting anything out of it because we all buy rechargeable batteries anyway.

Nice attempt to quarantine then Eneloops chat to its own thread!

Anyway, all I can say on the matter is even though I have had a few PS3 controllers (no PS4 yet) die on me likely due to the battery, I never thought "If only I had spent the previous three years repeatedly rotating chargeable batteries from charger to controller I could have avoided this sad state of affairs"

12 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Nice attempt to quarantine then Eneloops chat to its own thread!

Anyway, all I can say on the matter is even though I have had a few PS3 controllers (no PS4 yet) die on me likely due to the battery, I never thought "If only I had spent the previous three years repeatedly rotating chargeable batteries from charger to controller I could have avoided this sad state of affairs"

Yeah, even the shitty battery on the PS4 controller never bothered me. I'm always close to my console so if I need to plug it in for an hour while I play so be it.

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

IKEA Ladda batteries are good. I have a set of the 2450 mAh AAs in my game gear and get several hours out of them. 

The ultimate battery test 

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

Still getting over this post since reading it this morning. Stunning stuff.

Not sure how I feel about this post!

It’s genuinely because I spent a couple of hours looking into it about 2-3 weeks ago  because the new Xbox controller chews through batteries when used with headphones. It required a bit more digging than I expected to find anything concrete given how common they are (AACycler is one of the few exceptions), there’s a lot of inaccurate assumptions thrown about, and if I’m spending £50+ on something that should last over half a decade then I want to make sure I’m making a reasonably informed purchase. Might as well save others from having to do this work.

I’m not some weird obsessed rechargeable battery man, I promise.

If anyone is interested, I ended up buying an Eneloop CC55 charger, which is compact and good enough, and a whole bunch of Eneloops AA/AAAs. 

6 hours ago, Clipper said:

im not getting "into it" as we had too many derails on batteries before... the xbox controller is 55 quid retial, switch pro is 55 and (yes ok) the PS5 is 60

So one competitor is same price and the other is 5 quid more (and has more "stuff" in it like those triggery things and microphone/speaker). So yes one is 5 quid more but, to me, that isn't enough of a discount for not having internal battery and having to supply my own batteries or a play/charge. If yhou want equivalent internal battery it makes MS far more expensive.

Wait what?  Since when did we compare video gaming costs based on what was in them?

Physical games come with a whole disc, a box, and a piece of glossy paper with a shiny coloured print on them, and they usually cost £10+ less than digital ones, plus you can sell them on, and yet you're moaning about batteries.

Alternatively, I can pay £70 and get a PAIR of joycons, that's 2 controllers.  Sony want £10 less for only 1.

Alternatively, where is this leaked price fixing document that shows the console manufacturers have agreed to make their pads the same price equivalent based on what they offer.

Did you not buy and Xbox because it takes separate AA batteries?  Did you avoid local multiplayer because of the horrible overpriced pads?

All of the above is pointless rhetoric. 

The xbox pad allows a different choice. 

Environmentally, it's better (if people are responsible).

Controller 'on' time, it's better (if you use the right batteries).

Long term, it's cheaper (if you use the right batteries, and use the controller a lot, thus wearing out the batteries). 

Convenience wise, it's worse.

Done.

I am happy to reiterate that I prefer the MS approach where they give you the choice to do what you wish - AA disposables - AA rechargeables - play and charge integral battery.

And MS do that because they like to give the choice to the consumer (apparently).

That was it...

6 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

IKEA Ladda batteries are good. I have a set of the 2450 mAh AAs in my game gear and get several hours out of them. 

I believe these are the ones that are basically eneloops. They are made in Japan also. I have loads of them and it means the Xbox controller situation is alright.