The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!

Jolly

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Reveal hidden contents

But the ending isn't pessimistic. Ellie lets Abby live, then Abby and the kid escape and find refuge in Santa Barbara (or at least that's what's heavily implied by the change to the title screen). Ellie returns to an empty house, yes, but she's learnt that revenge ultimately doesn't bring her happiness and we see that she has the capacity for change (unlike Joel, in many ways) and that there is the possibility for her redemption. The final flashback scene, where we see her telling Joel that she's going to try to forgive him, shows that she's finally come to terms with his death, and what he did to her.

I think that hate definitely serves as a catalyst in this story, and it's what drives the plot, but, in the end, the game is more about grief - what grief can cause us to do, but also what we can do to overcome it. Just like the first game.

I fully expect part 3 to be about Ellie tracking down Dinah and attempting to reunite with her, trying to earn her forgiveness and show she's changed in the same way that Joel did with Ellie in this game. At least until he got his head caved in.

This is absolutely the nail hit on head for me. This was exactly my take away from it and exactly what the theme's where. 

It's astonishingly good, and I can not believe that a lot of the meaning and theme's of the story have whooshed right over people's heads. 

...or they just haven't played it. ;)

I've also just noticed I've got Snowrunner and Showrunner side-by-side which are almost certainly the same game (unless the latter is a simulator for getting the coffees in for a TV production company).

Absolute amateur hour.

(correcting that would put Snowrunner at 38 with 'Ass Creed', incidentally)

Plenty of great games in the list, but of the more obscure titles, the following are all ones I'd strongly recommend:

22. Murder by Numbers - Ace Attorney meets Picross, this is secretly Playtonic (of Fall Guys fame)'s best game of the year.

25. A Short Hike - gorgeous, tiny adventure. Just play it.

39. Signs of the Sojourner - fascinating abstracted conversation-em-up where you caravan around a post-apocalyptic wasteland and (try to) make friends

59. Hypnospace Outlaw - 90s internet, the game!

59. If Found... - beautiful, affecting visual novel. Probably less enjoyable if you're a TERF.

76. 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim - flawed but sumptuous sci-fi visual novel. Worth it for the production values and enjoyably fragmented structure to its story.

90. Umurangi Generation - photography sim supported by a fantastic soundtrack and wonderful 32-bit-style 3D visuals. Every level's a pitch-perfect dystopian sci-fi vignette. Cyberpunk game of the year. Just look at it!

1154071101_UmurangiGeneration.thumb.jpg.d93cbba9ddfa11fc6ec8bc81893e6a98.jpg

46. Ghostrunner 

Just started playing this. If I'd played it in 2020 it'd probably been 2 or 3 on my list. Stunning Mirror's Edge-esque, cyberpunk-flavoured ultraviolence. 

Please do check it out if you haven't yet, and be prepared for a challenge. 

On 25/01/2021 at 12:17, Skull Commander said:

Thanks to you all for the hard work in figuring out the rankings and all the write ups. My taste never seems to fully align with the rest of the forum, but I can't feel too hard done by with the results this year. Especially pleased with SOR4's finishing position. What I will say though is that if I had played Monster Train earlier I think that would have made my number 2 spot as I have put in a serious amount of hours into that game since December. 

yeah Monster Train would have made my list if I’d started playing it before the new year.

Thanks for the hard work and consistently entertaining write-ups, guys. 

Since voting, I've started playing a couple of games that would have definitely made my top five - Spiritfarer, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I guess nobody played Ori, as it didn't get any votes at all, which is a shame because it's lovely. Edit - and Hades as well! 

This always happens. I tend not to play games at launch because I can't afford not to wait for the price to drop. Last year, the best game I played was Control, and I also loved Prey, Shenmue 3, and The Outer Wilds.

I propose we force the GOTY team to do a best games of 2019 list now.

I think it was binned because it would collect votes from the dawn of gaming up to today, and with so many to choose from there would be a lot of single-vote nominations.

(Also, Into The Breach won in 2019, and Prey won in 2018, so it wasn't all Bungie.)

It still exists as its own discussion though:

4 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I guess nobody played Ori, as it didn't get any votes at all, which is a shame because it's lovely.

I think games released in the first quarter of the year fall out of people's minds. Resi 3 was really popular on here, and only landed 90th (!)

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I think @feltmonkey’s point was many people don’t play games during the year of release, so a separate retrospective vote would be intetesting.

Yeah, exactly. It was a tongue in cheek suggestion that there should be a year lag in the GOTY threads to give us the chance to play some of the games.  :)

14 hours ago, Treble said:

I think games released in the first quarter of the year fall out of people's minds. Resi 3 was really popular on here, and only landed 90th (!)

It was released a month after FFVII and a couple of weeks after Animal Crossing.

In the end, it may have fallen out of people's minds because it wasn't very memorable. Felt like a bit of a rush job after Resi 2.