The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!

What annoyed me was painting anyone who wasn't fussed on the amendments to the story being these fundamentalist grognards who just can't cope with change. Instead of just thinking the the story changes Nomura made were shit entirely on their own merits, not surprising when you consider that the Kingdom Hearts games are his current idea of good storytelling.

SW: FF7R new character discussion:

Spoiler

Bike Rando was dumb but I found it funny more than anything so it’s no biggie. Some new characters were definitely more successful than others - I personally loved the “trio” of Chocobo Sam, Madame M, Andrea - Leslie was a bit of a dour pretty-boy but that just makes his reactions to the cross-dressing so much better. Chadley was a weirdo but the dedication to the weird personality was funny. Kyrie is an annoying brat with the personality of Yuffie and a visual style ripped out of P4G’s Marie, but again she really sells the annoying brat angle so it’s all good. :D 

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

I love how everyone has such strong opinions about FF7R that calling SoR4 better than SoR2 goes unnoticed on the outrage circuit.

If you want to go brawling with street punks, there really is only one game worth considering:

D2A38D95-5CD9-4A72-8C7A-12756CE32736.thumb.jpeg.fb186d3b0182adf2b7beac2e2561c22a.jpeg

Accept no substitute.

I've played SoR4 for 82 hours which is the equivalent of about 40 playthroughs! An absolute gameplay behemoth - crunchy and satisfying action with a great combo system, beautiful visuals and a soundtrack that slaps harder than a baseball stadium full of big bens - it's a total triumph, the best beat em up since part II . The only bad thing I can say about it is a constant reminder of how criminally underused Sega's legacy IP is. Best game of last year and will be enjoyed for years to come

Good to see SoR so high. 

It's the best side scrolling beat em up ever. I love the genre and don't think anything comes close. 

I didn't really get SoR4, but then then I never played 2, nor have I played any beat em-ups in general, not 2D ones, anyway. I kept getting killed by things off-screen and got fed up. Did anyone else who didn't have nostalgia for the original games still enjoy it?

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I love how everyone has such strong opinions about FF7R that calling SoR4 better than SoR2 goes unnoticed on the outrage circuit.

Because it is better than SoR2 in everything except the music, and the music comes pretty close too. Plus you can even play SoR4 with SoR2's music.

I don't think that's a controversial opinion at all. SoR4 is the best side-scrolling beat-em-up ever made.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I didn't really get SoR4, but then then I never played 2, nor have I played any beat em-ups in general, not 2D ones, anyway. I kept getting killed by things off-screen and got fed up. Did anyone else who didn't have nostalgia for the original games still enjoy it?

For what it's worth, my 11 year old daughter thought it was brilliant and played through it 3 or 4 times with me. 

Out of everything in this list - including the top two that everyone can surely guess - Hades is probably the game that I'm most interested in trying sometime. I get a bit nervous when I hear about how many systems and things are in there (because I'm a simple being who likes immediacy) but it just looks so slick and fun and polished. :wub: 

10 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Out of everything in this list - including the top two that everyone can surely guess - Hades is probably the game that I'm most interested in trying sometime. I get a bit nervous when I hear about how many systems and things are in there (because I'm a simple being who likes immediacy) but it just looks so slick and fun and polished. :wub: 

It's actually very simple to just start playing, running around and hitting stuff. Everything else drip feeds in over time.

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 3!

I'm gutted that Hades didn't win to be honest. I will be double gutted if it ends up being beaten to first place by the most depressing game released this year.

I started playing Hades after the voting window had closed, so I didn't vote for it, but it is, indeed, excellent. I bought it on both PC and Switch and was completely addicted to it. That said, however, I haven't gone back to it after seeing the credits, so I can't empathise with those who have played it for 100+ hours. All the same, when it eventually comes to Xbox I'm hoping LRG will do a physical edition.

@Benny Fortunately, I'm extremely used to the forum having the worst fucking taste in games when it comes to the top slot, so what's coming doesn't faze me. Also, Hades, SoR4 and Paradise Killer all putting in such a good showing has been pleasing to see!

(spoilered in case anyone isn't quite sure what the next two games are)

Spoiler

(I do find it interesting that the top two are going to be platform exclusives, mind. In fact, not one of the top 3 has even been released on Xbox, as far as I'm aware; a dark day indeed when MacOS has more of a presence in the top 3 than Microsoft's consoles)

As someone who largely just ignores stuff I don't like, having this utter cuntery shoved down my throat all year day in day out made the torments of 2020 so much worse.

I'm absolutely delighted, great start to the year and my faith in humanity is entirely restored.

Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, Wiper said:

@Benny

(I do find it interesting that the top two are going to be platform exclusives, mind. In fact, not one of the top 3 has even been released on Xbox, as far as I'm aware; a dark day indeed when MacOS has more of a presence in the top 3 than Microsoft's consoles)

Well, we'll have another Alternative Award a bit later on but I won't keep you all waiting too long to find out came out on top between Dreams and 51 Worldwide Games. 

I'm surprised the Dreams was largely ignored by most, especially after that Edge [10], but I suppose taking the time to actually create something is more effort than most people are prepared to put into something they do for a hobby. I was tempted to pick it up, but the prospect of it being anything like Mario Maker 2, where I spent dozens of hours crafting levels, only for them to be lost more or less instantly in the torrent of shite that was being churned out by every other person who bought it, was enough to put me off. Shame, as it looks like you can make some really cool stuff with it.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

No affection or much experience with the originals here, though I really like the music, but I did enjoy SoR4 a lot. I'm crap at scrolling brawlers but the combo chaining system is a masterstroke, I think. Really well balanced and very satisfying. I also like dealing with the different movesets and juggling the varied enemy threats, keeping enemies on low health to string out your combo. 

It's something which can feel a bit cheap and frustrating at first, but then you watch an expert tearing it apart and you can see how well designed it is, and that the skill ceiling is stratospheric. I think the music and transitions are also really quite special. I'm not enough of a fan of the genre to put that much time into it but I certainly enjoyed what I played

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

You can ignore needing to understand all the systems, you’ll just get what you need to get through play. I’ve escaped, and still have no idea what half of the systems are about - it’s a button-mashers joy!

Of course it’s no Cyberpunk 2077, but then again, what is?

25 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I genuinely thought it came out in 2019. Lockdown has warped my sense of time.

I think Dreams went in to early access in 2019, and rather than building up an audience to bootstrap the release it seemed to use up all of its press coverage and community engagement before it actually came out. Which is a shame because with more awareness of it, it would probably do great in that post-Minecraft environment, but right now it’s a bit too niche for any of the individual aspects of the game to stand on their own the way they’re meant to be able to.

I pretty much expected the top 2 to be the top 2, although had hopes for Hades to climb up. Still, 4 of my choices ended up 3rd-6th so I still have faith in you all. I'm sure Vigil would've done well too if anyone had played it.

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think Dreams went in to early access in 2019, and rather than building up an audience to bootstrap the release it seemed to use up all of its press coverage and community engagement before it actually came out. Which is a shame because with more awareness of it, it would probably do great in that post-Minecraft environment, but right now it’s a bit too niche for any of the individual aspects of the game to stand on their own the way they’re meant to be able to.

Ah, that makes sense, I thought I remembered seeing people sharing their creations much earlier! It has been weirdly poorly marketed, given how impressive a tool it is.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm surprised the Dreams was largely ignored by most, especially after that Edge [10], but I suppose taking the time to actually create something is more effort than most people are prepared to put into something they do for a hobby. I was tempted to pick it up, but the prospect of it being anything like Mario Maker 2, where I spent dozens of hours crafting levels, only for them to be lost more or less instantly in the torrent of shite that was being churned out by every other person who bought it, was enough to put me off. Shame, as it looks like you can make some really cool stuff with it.

I love Dreams; enough to give it my fourth place vote but I've created absolutely naff all. It doesn't help that the tutorials are excruciatingly delivered but there are literally too many options for someone as creatively bankrupt as myself. I briefly toyed with the idea of making a rhythm action / twin stick shooter hybrid but ended up spending the year dipping in and out of what the community had created. Some of it is truly outstanding; my favourite was called 'Ultimate 6 in 1 Retro Game Megacart'; you basically play six different games at once with one button. How clever is that?! 

I also think there is a good chance that Art's Dream is the best single player stuff Media Molecule have ever done. Yes, they still need to get someone in to sort out the jumps, but it's just relentlessly imaginative with one of the best finales in years. I'd say the four odd hours was worth £20 on its own to be honest. 

I can understand that the forum may feel a little bit burned on the hype around Media Molecule's games but Dreams is good. Really good. 

Anyway, I should probably be saving this for when it picks up first or second place. 

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!
  • milko unpinned this topic