The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!

I will say that FFVII Remake has offered me the most fun in years playing 'compare the translation', just for the sheer variation in interpretation of the text that the French vs. English opt for, and playing in French with English subs really lent the game an enjoyable dissonance as (whiny, dickhead) English Cloud was contrasted with (taciturn, serious) French Cloud.

As a fan of FF7 I really enjoyed seeing all those familiar areas reimagined. But the stretched out filler content in the second half (particularly the bit straight after falling inside the church and later when you're almost at the top of Shinra HQ and suddenly you have to complete tedious trials) killed any chances of this being more than 'okay' for me. Without spoiling anything, I don't like (name of something it resembles)

Spoiler

Kingdom Hearts

*at all* - so the tone of the ending (not the idea behind it, that I liked) was godawful for me and I hated it. Those games have a huge fanbase though so it's fair enough that lots of people disagree with me.

Day one for the sequel though, because a) I'm curious to see where it's going and b) I want to see more familiar locations reimagined. Dat nostalgia

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 5!

Despite spoiling myself on a lot of what the game has to offer, I'm still absolutely excited to play this when it's out for PC (and maybe XBox after they bother with next-gen patches for the PS5, but if DLSS is fully realised like FFXV's Nvidia showcase then it will absolutely be the former first).

FF7's Midgar is such a stand-out backdrop for a videogame, and seeing that part of the game fully realised in modern-day graphics and scale is so fucking wonderful.

And.. well, it's out. After so long, it's just exciting that it exists!

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:
Spoiler

Without spoiling anything, I don't like Kingdom Hearts *at all* - so the tone of the ending was godawful for me and I hated it.

Spoiler

When I eventually return to and finish FFVII:Remake I am now going to be sorely disappointed if its ending doesn't somehow feature Donald Duck.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:
Spoiler

Without spoiling anything, I don't like Kingdom Hearts *at all* - so the tone of the ending was godawful for me and I hated it. Those games have a huge fanbase though so it's fair enough that lots of people disagree with me.

You realise that is in and of itself, a spoiler.

Spoiler

I mean, it hasn't spoiled anything for me in that I have no goddamned idea what he means by it,* so I'm not sure how spoilery it really is. Maybe there's a lot of zips involved? Big zips. Full Nomura.

*aside from the 100% definite appearance of the House of Mouse's finest

Final Fantasy VIIR is a drastically better game than the original, and taking that portion of the game and fleshing it out was the best thing they could do. I loved it a lot and propelled through it at quite a pace, as I just could get enough of the strange world.  

I actually went back and played through the exact same content of the original FFVII just to compare and contrast them. I couldn’t help but far prefer the new. 

The first few sentences in my second paragraph were as far as I wanted to go with spoilers, and I rewrote that bit a bunch of times. It’s hard to talk about controversies in your write-up and not give too much away ;) 

20 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, it hasn't spoiled anything for me in that I have no goddamned idea what he means by it,* so I'm not sure how spoilery it really is. Maybe there's a lot of zips involved? Big zips. Full Nomura.

*aside from the 100% definite appearance of the House of Mouse's finest

Even if I didn’t have a sense what what a 

Spoiler

Kingdom Hearts

style ending would entail, it’s a bit “mate, you should watch the Sixth Sense, you’re never going to guess the twist!”

32 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Final Fantasy VIIR is a drastically better game than the original, and taking that portion of the game and fleshing it out was the best thing they could do. I loved it a lot and propelled through it at quite a pace, as I just could get enough of the strange world.  

I actually went back and played through the exact same content of the original FFVII just to compare and contrast them. I couldn’t help but far prefer the new. 

It's definitely an amazing achievement. I think it would be even better without the few lesser parts, cut like a few hours of the game for an overall better pace. But I agree it's an impressive feat even if it isn't in my personal top games of the year.

Finally walking beneath the plates and being able to look up after 25 years was literally jaw dropping for me. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing even more classic locations in the PS5 powered sequel.

This game will also forever be linked to the E3 OF Dreams, the megaton filled show to end them all. Sony killed it announcing FF7R, Shenny 3, and Last Guardian all on the same stage. It's easy to forget how much of a big deal that was at that moment. It's amazing that this project even exists. Again: day one for the sequel

I can certainly see flaws in FFVIIR. The pacing and certain new characters, for example. But as soon as it finished, I wanted to do it all again. Even now, I'd put it back on in an instant if I hadn't already exhausted it. For whatever reason I've always found the FFVII characters and world especially captivating, and I just wanted to spend more time there, doing whatever there was to do. And they at least nailed that aspect of it in the remake. Give me more.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's definitely an amazing achievement. I think it would be even better without the few lesser parts, cut like a few hours of the game for an overall better pace. But I agree it's an impressive feat even if it isn't in my personal top games of the year.

Finally walking beneath the plates and being able to look up after 25 years was literally jaw dropping for me. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing even more classic locations in the PS5 powered sequel.

The side mission stuff is what drops the pace, but you can complete skip that stuff and just plough on through. 
I appreciate that it’s all there, I wouldn’t want it removed. 

41 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This game will also forever be linked to the E3 OF Dreams, the megaton filled show to end them all. Sony killed it announcing FF7R, Shenny 3, and Last Guardian all on the same stage. It's easy to forget how much of a big deal that was at that moment. It's amazing that this project even exists. Again: day one for the sequel

Even more amazing that they actually all came out! I’ll have to play FF7R some day as the original is so iconic I owe to myself. 

I wanted to love this, but it ended up being my biggest disappointment of the year. The busywork was mind-numbing, I couldn't gel with the combat and the writing was even more cringe-inducing that the original game. It's also one of the most graphically uneven games I can recall - the main character models looked excellent, but the NPC models and muddy textures that abounded I found very jarring. It's most noticeable when you're rushing around the Sector 7 Slums, chasing cats or whatever the hell else the game asks you to do. If they patch it for PS5, or once the XSX version comes out, I might give it another go, but the overall tone of the game felt completely off for me. 

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Final Fantasy VIIR is a drastically better game than the original

No.

As an aside, I also had a weird moment of personal juxtaposition last year because I decided to play through FFVI (III) for the first time. Insert your own punchline about an "obviously superior predecessor", or something. ;) 

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This game will also forever be linked to the E3 OF Dreams, the megaton filled show to end them all. Sony killed it announcing FF7R, Shenny 3, and Last Guardian all on the same stage.

It was like announcing the return of King Arthur, Jesus Christ and Firefly all at the same time.

35 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

As an aside, I also had a weird moment of personal juxtaposition last year because I decided to play through FFVI (III) for the first time. Insert your own punchline about an "obviously superior predecessor", or something. ;) 

FF7 is one of those formative games for me, and still when I played FF6 for the first time 10 years later I thought “oh right, it was a wonky, weird, very nineties version of this”.

(I know FF6 came out on the nineties but it’s not as of the era.)

I played the original back in 2019 on Switch and it still holds up, although the much-lauded story is cobblers, and badly-translated cobblers at that. For me, the battle system makes or breaks a JRPG and thankfully the materia system in VII is the best of the PSX FFs (and the best battle system full stop until XII came along nearly a decade later). Without it, as in VII:R, the focus switches instead to the narrative, which is even more contrived than in the original, and the characters, all of whom are moronic anime stereotypes. If the battle and leveling up system was as good as it was in the original then none of this would matter, but I couldn't get on with it, as I said, and the rest of the gameplay elements weren't good enough to keep me engaged.

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 4!
46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Without it, as in VII:R, the focus switches instead to the narrative, which is even more contrived than in the original, and the characters, all of whom are moronic anime stereotypes.

I feel like I should challenge you to a duel for besmirching the good name of the greatest team of player characters in gaming history, but you know, lockdown and all that. Still, consider yourself figuratively slapped with a velvet glove.

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I feel like I should challenge you to a duel for besmirching the good name of the greatest team of player characters in gaming history, but you know, lockdown and all that. Still, consider yourself figuratively slapped with a velvet glove.

That's nostalgia fuckin wit chu, man.

Seriously though, have you played the game recently? Cloud is just your everyday anime emo protagonist, Aeris and Tifa spend most of the game pandering to him, Barret is just an ecologically-minded Mr T (although, admittedly, he does have some funny lines) and the rest of the characters aren't worth wasting descriptions on. Final Fantasy VII was my favourite game when I was 11 years old, and there are bits of it that I still love, but the characters and story aren't worth duelling over, trust me.

Literally the only reason Streets of Rage 4 didn't hit my top 5 was because me and a friend just sat on the netplay the second it came out and hammered the entire game out in an afternoon - so it ends up being quite forgetful in my memory. Had the same problem with Halo Reach.

It's absolutely fantastic, though. Going through all the characters in turn and figuring them out their particular movement tech and combos, all the new enemies with their own reasons to get frustrated over, and a good half of the boss battles being genuinely great made it such an enjoyable game.

Spoiler

And I'll probably play through it again if they ever make Estel playable and declare it 2021 GOTY

I'm not into beat em-ups at all but I did enjoy playing Streets of Rage 2 co-op back in the day. Is Streets of Rage 4 worth it in single player? Considering the amount of praise I'm interested in picking it up when its cheaper.

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

In the last few days before the FF7R release, I rewatched some of the E3 reactions to the announcement trailer all those years ago. Then I watched some of the reactions to FF7 fans watching the new intro cutscene for the first time. Some of the reactions are just brilliant, people just losing their minds or breaking down in tears and it really shows how FF7 really captured the hearts of so many people back in the day.

Whilst I acknowledge there are a few flaws in the remake, the overall experience was just one I couldn't put down and I was gobsmacked again and again. Even though I knew how the story would generally go, I was completely invested. The visual design is just insane, the music's incredible (especially for veterans with the nostalgia value), and it continually surprised me with all the new stuff they added. And its so polished. The only way I'd really improve it is to cut a bunch of the side crap and sort out the pacing.

Even though I agree the characters are pretty anime cliche, they are still really engaging thanks to the performance and have just a ton of personality. I appreciate they added a bit more depth to them too, especially Barret and the side characters. Although yeah the characters aren't super deep or original, to change them much further would make them fundamentally different to the original game. 

I liked the combat but I agree that for people who prefer classic style FF combat, Classic mode was pointless, and to play it that way actually makes combat way less fun. They shouldn't have even included it. I'd urge anyone who played Remake in Classic combat to try again on normal (I believe you can also switch mid-game).

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

That's nostalgia fuckin wit chu, man.

Seriously though, have you played the game recently? Cloud is just your everyday anime emo protagonist, Aeris and Tifa spend most of the game pandering to him, Barret is just an ecologically-minded Mr T (although, admittedly, he does have some funny lines) and the rest of the characters aren't worth wasting descriptions on. Final Fantasy VII was my favourite game when I was 11 years old, and there are bits of it that I still love, but the characters and story aren't worth duelling over, trust me.

No, you're an everyday anime emo protagonist.

Really though, yes, it's nostalgia in part. As much as anything, it was always the character design that stood out, rather than how they were written. But even then it was a level above almost anything else at the time, in terms of creating a group dynamic containing different personalities and goals.

And I think it does the remake a disservice to say it's all about nostalgia. It fills in the broad strokes with real warmth and sensitivity. Barret is still a bit of a misfire still (although he has his moments), but Aerith in particular is rather lovely - she's certainly not pandering to Cloud, very much on her own adventure. 

FFVII's translation essentially ruined the back half of the story, I replayed it with a fan translation a few years ago and it was so much more coherent and enjoyable (whilst still being very anime).

As for the remake, I do really want to play it, I'm hoping it comes to PC shortly. Although all the clips I've seen of Barrett make me wince, and Ron Funches did a good bit on a podcast about how he is a "Japanese people write a black man full of stereotypical black archetypes" portrayal that really doesn't fly in 2020.

But, I mean, fucking Jessie, though - how could anyone watch or listen to a second of that character's dialogue without wanting to tear their eyes out? And when you're forced to go round her house for dinner. Fucking hell.

And then there's that rando you have the motorbike race-cum-fight with. Who the fuck was that? What was that even about?

And they ruin Sephiroth! The reason that Sephiroth was such a brilliant villain in the first game is because you don't see him properly for hours, not until he's literally skewered the guy that you've been told from the start of the game is the big bad, revealing that he is in fact the big bad, and that the real game is actually an epic quest to stop him, then you leave Midgar and see the world map for the first time and shortly find a swamp where he's fucking impaled a 100-foot cobra monster and you think to yourself, shit, this guy's a complete badass, better watch out.

In Remake, he's popping up in alleyways and everywhere else every two fucking minutes for a cup of tea and a natter.

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!
  • milko unpinned this topic