The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

I never really left said critical path, I just got bored about 2/3rds of the way through. It just felt like the difficulty/new challenge graph for the game was something like this:

image.png.dd81a500dbd8fd22840eefbb272c7a02.png

Where as I was hoping for more of this:

image.png.3b7f284c84c9c07c9dcd7ed35c75977d.png

And then what added insult to injury was that I collected a few extra moons at the end to unlock what I had hoped/assumed would be a platforming challenge area, and got a boss rush instead :(

This isn't a boss rush?

24 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Mechanically a Zelda game:

1. Little Big Adventure 2

I fucking love LBA2, but you're so far off the mark here :lol: I do need to replay it at some point though, it's been about ten years since my last run.

45 minutes ago, Isaac said:

This isn't a boss rush?

I said I collected a few extra moons after following the critical path,* not "expended an unendurable period of time trying to hoover up every moon to get to whatever lay at the end of the collection".

*and thus unlocked this

I say it's absolutely fine for someone to like predominantly shit or redundantly average games, and I salute you for it. I don't think it's for effect. I believe you really enjoy that stuff, in the same way that my granddad's favourite meal was a big tin of Goblin Hamburgers in Gravy. As they say in the cricket world - shit gets wickets! 

Just a heads up that entry number 6 won't be up until this evening; I couldn't get my write-up how I wanted it overnight, and don't have enough of a break at work to redo it until then.

Testcard_F.jpg.589f29b138e8d944a3f7525e1888499c.jpg

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 6!

I cannot tell you how pleasantly surprised I was to see this got to number 6. Well deserved, and I'm reasonably confident it's the highest placed game to be made by a 3-man team this year.

Conversely, I played Paradise Killer after everyone loved it, and went through it over the course of the last week or so.

I really, really didn't like it. Which is baffling, as I played through all of it. Probably because I thought that it would stand up to every other good mystery game I played this year (Zero Escape series, Danganronpa etc), most of which are probably a good decade old by now.

It didn't. Plays like a Unity asset flip FPS with as much design taste, the voice acting is fucking atrocious and hardly makes sense in the context of the script, the whodunnit is exceptionally railroaded after you've done the requisite 10 hours of Banjo-Kazooie collectathon shite and backtracking, the puzzles would barely challenge an infant, and at the end of the day you just couldn't fucking care about what happens to any of these dickheads on the island - because any sense of mystery and breadcrumbing is hard-locked by dialogue that boils down to 'I didn't do it, lol' and only starts giving you gossip after fulfilling a fucking step counter.

It's utter, utter bollocks.

The soundtrack is really good, though.

19 hours ago, mdn2 said:

The best game no-one played this year. Great write up @Wiper

Yep I just had to google it to find out what it was released on, had not even heard of it.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Looking forward to the top 5, my predictions:

1. Hades

2. Animal Crossing New Horizons

3. The Last of Us Part II

4. No idea

5. No idea

:huh:

Last of Us 2 has won. No two ways about it. It's won, it's 1, it's over. It wouldn't be my choice but it's won.  

22 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Last of Us 2 has won. No two ways about it. It's won, it's 1, it's over. It wouldn't be my choice but it's won.  

I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the voting to know for sure, but I think AC & Hades got lots of votes too.

I was very surprised to see FF7R do so well,* but yeah, it's evidently got to be in the top 5 as there's no way it failed to make the top 20.

And I won't spoil it, but the other game you're missing is Extremely Good.

(though I'm sad to say it's not cyberpunk photo-em-up Umurangi Generation, which I'd hoped against all odds would squeak into the top 20, but no)

*not meant as a criticism, I just didn't realise it had been so well received

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: "Best Trailer 2020"
  • Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!
  • milko unpinned this topic