GG Aleste 3 - 1cc Normal (10)

Aleste - 1cc (8)

Power Strike II - 1cc (10)

GG Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste 2 - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste - Special mode 1cc (8)

Power Strike II - Hard 1cc (10)

GG Aleste 3 - Special mode 1cc (10)

Natsuki Chronicles - 1cc Arcade, Normal (10)

G-Darius HD - 1cc, Lambda route (10)

Cotton Reboot - Arrange 1cc (10)

Cotton Reboot - Arrange hard 1cc (10)

Assault Shell - 1cc, Original single (10)

Assault Shell - 1cc, Void arrange (10)

Assault Shell - 2-all (10)

Barrage Fantasia - 1cc Normal (7)

Barrage Fantasia - Advanced 1cc (10)

Patriot Dark - Normal 1cc (10)

Zenodyne R - 1cc Normal (10)

Zenohell - 1cc Normal (10)

Sengoku Youkai Daikassen - 1cc (10)

Maho Shoe - 1cc (10)

Hishou Ayu - 1cc, Normal (10)

Alien Death Mob - All stars (10)

Wolflame - Normal 1cc (10)

东方栖霞园 ~ Blue devil in the Belvedere - Normal 1cc (Sakuya) (10)

Gun-Nac - 1cc, normal (10)

Bike Banditz - 1cc, Normal (10)

Redneg 3Stars - Normal 1cc (10)

Winged Gear - 1cc, Normal (8)

Redneg Allstars - 1cc, normal (10)

Galactic Refugees - Hard 1cc (6)

XCUTE(me) - 1cc (2-5), Normal (10)

Satazius - Normal 1cc (10)

Espgaluda - 1cc

Touhou Kikamu ~ Elegant Impermanence of Sakura - Normal 1cc

Super Glitter Rush - All stars

Rangok Skies - 1cc (all characters)

Previously...

Spoiler

1.) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch - 2019 (2012)
2.) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Switch - 2018 (2014)
3.) God of War - PS4 - 2018
4.) Shenmue III - PC - 2019
5.) Sonic Mania - PC - 2017
6.) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
7.) Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Vita - 2018 (1992/3)
8.) Secret of Mana - SNES - 1993
9.) Rez Infinite - PS4 - 2016 (2001/2)
10.) Moss - PS4 - 2018
11.) Halo: Reach - PC - 2019 (2010)
12.) Papers, Please - Vita - 2017 (2013)
13.) Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC - 2020 (2011/2001)
14.) Undertale - Vita - 2017 (2015)
15.) Halo 2: Anniversary - PC - 2020 (2014/2004)
16.) Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Vita - 2013/14
17.) Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4 - 2020
18.) The Wolf Among Us - Vita - 2014
19.) Halo 3 - PC - 2020 (2007)
20.) Halo 3: ODST - PC - 2020 (2009)
21.) Halo 4 - PC - 2020 (2012)
22.) Black Mesa - PC - 2020 (1998)
23.) Axiom Verge - Vita - 2016 (2015)
24.) MINERVA: Metastasis - PC - 2013 (2005/07)

25.) The Last Express Gold Edition - PC - 2013 (1997)
Completed and got the final ending (approximately 8 hours).

Set entirely on board the Orient Express on its final pre-war journey in 1914, The Last Express is ostensibly a point-and-click game, only with a lot more clicking and a lot less pointing. This visually striking adventure game from 1997 uses a combination of rotoscoped animation and pre-rendered backgrounds to bring its scenes to life. But the most interesting aspect of the game is how the other passengers all follow a prescribed schedule and you can carve a different route around their schedules to get different outcomes or complete tasks in a different order. It doesn't always work perfectly, there are some bugs and most of the game is spent getting disoriented and lost until you accidentally stumble into the right room or person, but it's still a really interesting way to design a game. If you make mistakes, die, or just want to try something else, you can rewind time and start from an earlier point.

A modern update could probably do a concept like this justice, but it wouldn't have the same distinct style unique to its era. Not quite traditional game art, not quite FMV, a style that sits in the middle. I don't know how many of the game's accessibility features are new to the Gold Edition. This is a PC game to smart phone back to PC port, and the presentation is a little rough. I'm guessing it didn't originally have the hint bubbles at least, which are very useful.

One other thing I really like is the performances. Adventure games can often have staccato dialogue or sound forced, but because The Last Express's characters are usually speaking on their own time, often overlapping or overheard, it sounds really natural. I believe the performances were captured live as well (before rotoscoping), which really helps.

Did I enjoy actually playing this? Nyeeeah, kind of. But I think it's a really interesting game that captures not just an era of PC gaming, but an era of history and geopolitics and romance. Plus, y'know, trains in games are awesome.

14/07/21 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Really enjoyable platformer this, and a showcase for the PS5's fast loading times. Unlike a lot of games you can safely that this would not work on a last gen console, what with the teleporting seamlessly between different environments. Not without the game chugging along. I enjoyed the story, art style and characters. Now so much the little Clank puzzler that they would occasionally throw in. I didn't even notice till the last one that I could've just paused the game and skipped these puzzles entirely.

Interested to see what Insomniac do next with the series.

8/10

Spoiler

January

10/01 - Spiderman: Miles Morales

23/01 - Yakuza Like A Dragon

February

14/02 - Concrete Genie

18/02 - Mega Man 11

21/02 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered

March

21/03 - Persona 5: Strikers

31/03 - Mega Man X

April

17/04 - Mega Man X4

24/04 - Mega Man Zero

May

04/05 - New Super Lucky's Tale

20/05 - Cosmic Top Secret

23/05 - Mass Effect

June

07/06 - Mass Effect 2

19/06 - Final Fantasy VII: Remake

July

02/07 - Mass Effect 3

04/07 - Astro's Playroom

14/07/21 - Cyberpunk 2077 

I got caught up on the hype on this one, so my wife bought me it as an Xmas present for the Xbox One and then saw all the negative publicity about it and asked me if I wanted to return it.  I decided to hang on to it, and wait until I have a next gen console to try it on.  It runs lovely on a Series X (and PS5 as well as I understand it) there are still a few bugs I hit.  I couldn't seem to take a body down an elevator, but throwing out of a 32nd story window seems to work ok.  A few issues of the sound going funny and needing to do a checkpoint restore.  But this aside, I really enjoyed the experience - I put 75 hours into it (scary).  There's a few more hours to do in order to get the other two endings.  But that did involve me doing every single side gig/job available to attempt to find something else to finish a mission.

It's a very pretty game, Night City looks like a scene from Blade Runner, and the whole game does remind me a lot of some of the pages from Neuromancer.  It's very ambitous (which is where it can come unstuck perhaps) and takes itself much more seriously than the likes of GTA.  The actual main story mission is actually pretty short, so worth having fun on the sidequests.  In the later portions of the game, my character was far too overpowered - he would just go around hacking people and setting fire to them without ever being detected (still fun to do though)

Update for the past few months. I've conveniently forgotten most of what I planned to write.

13/04 - Catherine: Full Body (PS4) - Visual novel crossed with a puzzler. I didn't particularly like the block shifting puzzles and around half way through dropped the puzzle difficulty which made it far less frustrating. Enjoyable storyline. 

09/05 - Steins Gate Elite (PS4) - time travelling visual novel. Compelling.

13/05 - Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth (PS4) - a romance (otome) visual novel set in a steam punk London. You play as a young woman regarded as a monster due to melting anything you touch. During your adventure you'll meet several classic literary characters and based on your choices will end up dating one of them. Each playthrough covers 13 chapters, with the first 8 chapters largely being the same, with the next 5 chapters being completely different depending on who you romance. Suprisingly good.

12/07 - Katamari Damacy Re-Roll (PS4) - re-release of the classic PS2 game. It's a bit samey, but there is a joy once your katamari is absolutely massive and can roll up almost everything. Due to a fairly limited number of levels it doesn't outstay it's welcome. 

15/07 - Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! (PS4) - weird visual novel, that doesn't live up to the hype.

July

25/07 Mass Effect:Legendary Edition (PS4) Probably my last playthrough of one of my favourite games ever. I first played this back on the PC near when it first came out. Then a few years ago on the 360 to lead into my playthrough of the third game on console since EA had left Steam. And now this improved version. Why the last time? Well I'm getting old. And also I suspect these might the final ports of the game given how tied the scripting is to a certain version of Unreal engine. It was nice to play this with a controller and no screen tearing. It still looks amazing to my eyes although having played through it so many times I can see the seams and it feels a lot smaller than it used to, especially if you don't go exploring in the Mako. Which I did, the new physics tame the Mako a bit but still allows you to make stupid near vertical runs. I love playing these as a modern substitute to Koronis Rift. My partner did not enjoy it citing the constant hissing of air brakes and the way the exploration sucks the urgency out of the game. Some of the moral choices and dialogue feel a little cheesy and naïve now bit some parts still work really well, especially the parts with Wrex. It is prone to charm min maxing which I couldn't resist. Not the best game in the series but still a fantastic intro to the universe of Mass Effect and obviously influential on games that would follow. 

20/07 Law of the West (C64) It's been ten years since I last did a run through of this game and while it's short it's always fun playing this precursor to dialogue driven games like those from Telltale and Quantic Dreams. The game has you playing as the sheriff of a frontier town in the late 1800's. All you need to do is survive until sundown. Every conversation can yield information about robberies, or relationships or can go south resulting in a fatal shootout. I could at this stage look at a FAQ and run through a critical path but it's more fun to pick it up from time to time and play through it for fun.

LawOfTheWest_Animation.gif

18/07 The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PC) Having pushed through the first chapter of Life is Strange 2, a game I keep bouncing off I was informed that I should play the free TAAoCS before playing on. "But I already had!" I thought. And I had. On the PS4. So with much reluctance I downloaded the PC version.

Why the hesitation? Because it's really good at what it sets out to do. Maybe too good. Playing as a child, Chris, of a single parent the game involves running through a checklist of adventures for the day. What it really nails is the tension of dealing with an adult suffering from (and not dealing well) with the death of a partner. There's the early part of the game where you are almost walking on eggshells, balancing what you want to do (play) with some light housework. And then the relief of the parent getting engrossed in something or falling asleep. You no longer need to thread the needle of taut discussion and are left to your own devices to play and maybe even do some of the heavier housework (for a kid) done. From that point on it turns into one of those endless Sunday afternoons until endgame where you have to wake your father up (as asked.) There's a lot of really nice bits where you use Chris's "powers" which are always revealed as a turn of his imagination.

It does come to an end though and I found myself dreading and putting off the end point where Chris has to navigate dealing with adults in a way he's completely unequipped to do so. There aren't any villains here, just imperfect adults trying their best.

Playing this again I'm in awe of Dontnod's set designers, they've got an amazing way of creating small personal spaces that is unmatched. Music choice as always is perfect.

If you haven't played this yet and are a fan of narrative games it's free and worth 90 minutes of your time. Just be a little careful with it if you're the child of a widowed parent, it might hit a little close to home.

937697-the-awesome-adventures-of-captain

17/07 Ikenfell (PC) Another gem discovered through gamepass. Ikenfell is a turn based tactical RPG with a battle system similar to the Mario and Luigi games but it a focus on positioning with a magical school theme. Think Harry Potter but a lot more inclusive. Maritte, an ordinary heads off to magical school Ikenfell to find out what happened to her sister after the school went quiet.

646644-ikenfell-screenshot.jpg

There's a lot to love about this game. The battle system is solid with spells requiring different casting areas, it's possible to hit your companions (a max of three are in play from a roster of six) and sometimes you have to decide if it's worth taking the hit to do the damage. One thing I didn't like was the timing element in the battles where a button press during attack or defence phases would result in a critical fail, an average attack / defence or a great attack / defence. And if you might be in the same boat then accessibility options come to the rescue. A few hours in I found an option to turn that part off so I could just enjoy the strategy portion. This isn't an "I win button" (although an I win button is included in the options for those who just want to play through it for the story.) The eagle eyed among you will notice no MP meter, this is a game about witches so it's all spell based although powerful spells may need a turn or two to recharge.

There's enough LGBTQ representation here to make JK cross but it doesn't swamp the game. The pixel art is sweet if a little chunky. You save the game by rubbing a kitten's belly (the purring replenishes your HP). This instantly makes it one of the best games of all time. But what really shines is the music and sound design, this took me back to the old C64 days where some games were worth playing just for the soundtrack. This game features incredible tracks by aivi & surasshu (of Steven Universe fame) and it's a great fusion of chip tunes with traditional piano and strings.

I don't know why more people aren't playing this, if you like Harry Potter or Earthbound or the Mario and Luigi games get on this.

Previously this month

08/07 Final Fantasy 7 Remake INTERmission (PS5)

03/07 Deus Ex Machina Game of the Year 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition (PC)

Earlier this year

Spoiler

48. 27/06 Answer Knot (PC) 

47. 26/06 1944 : the Loop Master (PC/Arcade)

46. 22/06 Commando (C64)

45. 21/06 GigaWing (PC/Arcade)

44. 19/06 19XX: The War Against Destiny (PC/Arcade)

43. 19/06 Warriors of Fate (PC/Arcade)

42. 18/06 Varth: Operation Thunderstorm (PC/Arcade)

41. 15/06 Carrier Air Wing (PC/Arcade)

40. 14/06 Senjō no Ōkami II (PC/Arcade) 

39. 14/06 1941:Counter Attack (PC/Arcade)

38. 14/06 Forgotten Worlds (PC/Arcade) 

37. 12/06 West of Dead (PC) 

36. 11/06 Raid Over Moscow (C64)

35. 09/06 Section Z (PC/Arcade)

34. 06/05 God of War (PS4)

33. 05/05 Ghostbusters (C64)

32.01/06 Beach Head (C64)

31. 30/05 Depanneur Nocturne (PC)

30. 30/05 Commando (PC/Arcade)

29. 30/05 1942 (PC/Arcade)

28. 30/05 Bionic Commando (PC/Arcade)

27. 29/05 If Found...(PC) 

26. 24/05 Final Fight (PC/Arcade)

25. 22/05 Sunset Overdrive (PC) 

24. 11/05 Batalyx (C64)

23. 09/05 Call of the Sea (PC)

22. 25/04 Carto (PC)

21. 24/04 The Little Acre (PC)

20. 24/04 Yorkshire Gubbins (PC) 

19. 22/04 Control:Ultimate Edition (PC) 

18. 20/04 Rain on Your Parade (PC) 

17. 02/04 Summer Games 2 (C64)

16. 16/03 Beach Head 2:The Dictator Strikes Back (C64)

15. 13/03 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:India (PS4)

14. 07/03 Alvastia Chronicles (PC)

13. 27/02 Oxenfree (PC)

12. 26/02 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:China (PS4)

11. 11/02 Beyond a Steel Sky (PC) 

10. 02/02 Stories Untold (PC)

9. 31/01 Katamari Damacy Reroll (PC)

8. 28/01 2020 Game (Browser)

7. 26/01 Observation (PC)

6. 25/01 Hades (PC)

5. 23/01 Donut County (PC)

4. 17/01 The Touryst (PC) 

3. 13/01 My Friend Pedro (PC)

2. 03/01 Tell Me Why (PC)

1. 01/01 Tales from Off Peak City : Vol 1 (PC)

Abandoned

Assassin's Creed Chronicles:Russia

The Medium (PC) 

5 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

July

17/07 Ikenfell (PC) Another gem discovered through gamepass. Ikenfell is a turn based tactical RPG with a battle system similar to the Mario and Luigi games but it a focus on positioning with a magical school theme. Think Harry Potter but a lot more inclusive. Maritte, an ordinary heads off to magical school Ikenfell to find out what happened to her sister after the school went quiet.

646644-ikenfell-screenshot.jpg

There's a lot to love about this game. The battle system is solid with spells requiring different casting areas, it's possible to hit your companions (a max of three are in play from a roster of six) and sometimes you have to decide if it's worth taking the hit to do the damage. One thing I didn't like was the timing element in the battles where a button press during attack or defence phases would result in a critical fail, an average attack / defence or a great attack / defence. And if you might be in the same boat then accessibility options come to the rescue. A few hours in I found an option to turn that part off so I could just enjoy the strategy portion. This isn't an "I win button" (although an I win button is included in the options for those who just want to play through it for the story.) The eagle eyed among you will notice no MP meter, this is a game about witches so it's all spell based although powerful spells may need a turn or two to recharge.

There's enough LGBTQ representation here to make JK cross but it doesn't swamp the game. The pixel art is sweet if a little chunky. You save the game by rubbing a kitten's belly (the purring replenishes your HP). This instantly makes it one of the best games of all time. But what really shines is the music and sound design, this took me back to the old C64 days where some games were worth playing just for the soundtrack. This game features incredible tracks by aivi & surasshu (of Steven Universe fame) and it's a great fusion of chip tunes with traditional piano and strings.

I don't know why more people aren't playing this, if you like Harry Potter or Earthbound or the Mario and Luigi games get on this.

Previously this month

08/07 Final Fantasy 7 Remake INTERmission (PS5)

03/07 Deus Ex Machina Game of the Year 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition (PC)

Earlier this year

Reveal hidden contents

48. 27/06 Answer Knot (PC) 

47. 26/06 1944 : the Loop Master (PC/Arcade)

46. 22/06 Commando (C64)

45. 21/06 GigaWing (PC/Arcade)

44. 19/06 19XX: The War Against Destiny (PC/Arcade)

43. 19/06 Warriors of Fate (PC/Arcade)

42. 18/06 Varth: Operation Thunderstorm (PC/Arcade)

41. 15/06 Carrier Air Wing (PC/Arcade)

40. 14/06 Senjō no Ōkami II (PC/Arcade) 

39. 14/06 1941:Counter Attack (PC/Arcade)

38. 14/06 Forgotten Worlds (PC/Arcade) 

37. 12/06 West of Dead (PC) 

36. 11/06 Raid Over Moscow (C64)

35. 09/06 Section Z (PC/Arcade)

34. 06/05 God of War (PS4)

33. 05/05 Ghostbusters (C64)

32.01/06 Beach Head (C64)

31. 30/05 Depanneur Nocturne (PC)

30. 30/05 Commando (PC/Arcade)

29. 30/05 1942 (PC/Arcade)

28. 30/05 Bionic Commando (PC/Arcade)

27. 29/05 If Found...(PC) 

26. 24/05 Final Fight (PC/Arcade)

25. 22/05 Sunset Overdrive (PC) 

24. 11/05 Batalyx (C64)

23. 09/05 Call of the Sea (PC)

22. 25/04 Carto (PC)

21. 24/04 The Little Acre (PC)

20. 24/04 Yorkshire Gubbins (PC) 

19. 22/04 Control:Ultimate Edition (PC) 

18. 20/04 Rain on Your Parade (PC) 

17. 02/04 Summer Games 2 (C64)

16. 16/03 Beach Head 2:The Dictator Strikes Back (C64)

15. 13/03 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:India (PS4)

14. 07/03 Alvastia Chronicles (PC)

13. 27/02 Oxenfree (PC)

12. 26/02 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:China (PS4)

11. 11/02 Beyond a Steel Sky (PC) 

10. 02/02 Stories Untold (PC)

9. 31/01 Katamari Damacy Reroll (PC)

8. 28/01 2020 Game (Browser)

7. 26/01 Observation (PC)

6. 25/01 Hades (PC)

5. 23/01 Donut County (PC)

4. 17/01 The Touryst (PC) 

3. 13/01 My Friend Pedro (PC)

2. 03/01 Tell Me Why (PC)

1. 01/01 Tales from Off Peak City : Vol 1 (PC)

Abandoned

Assassin's Creed Chronicles:Russia

The Medium (PC) 

I’d never heard of it, but it does sound good. Will add it to the want list.

Donpachi - 1cc

Spoiler

Solid State Survivor - 1cc, TLB (10)

Dangun Feveron - Fever arrange 1cc (10)

Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste 2 - 1cc (8)

Maho Shoe - 1cc (10)

Espgaluda - 1cc

Schildmaid MX Beta - Krieger 1cc

15. Returnal  (2021) - PS5

image.thumb.png.78744fd1d9e0e63e46e95aa2b9e8d6f1.png

What I liked:

• This game has some of the slickest combat since Dead Cells. Coupled with the excellent haptic feedback from the PS5's DualSense pad, every moment controlling Selene feels profoundly satisfying.
  • Complementing this is the sound design, which is excellent throughout - the ambient, droning music, the chilling, alien noises the enemies make and the delicious THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD of the assault rifle (as well as all the other guns) is wonderful.
  • Not so much the textures or lighting, but the graphical effects in this are awesome. Blowing up a turret and watching it explode in a geyser of fire and debris that erupts 50 feet into the air never gets old. Some of the bullet-hell boss battles, especially later on, are utterly spectacular (not that you'll spend much time noticing as you'll be concentrating so much).
  • Particularly towards the beginning, the mysterious atmosphere and sense of vulnerability in a hostile, alien environment that this game creates is comparable to Metroid Prime via Dark Souls. It's brilliant nasty, succeeding in making you feel entirely isolated and disempowered, one woman versus an entire planet of evil bastard things that want to kill you.

What I didn't like so much:

• Despite everyone crying out for one, there's still no mid-run save state or checkpointing in this for when you want to play another game, or turn off your Playstation console. Seeing as runs can easily take more than an hour, this is a big problem, especially when a surprise update can cause a sudden end to your run.
  • Other things which can bring your run to a grinding halt are glitches, and I'm afraid to say I did experience a few. The worst was a hard crash (pre-empted by a lot of frame-dropping) which booted me back to the home menu when I was two hours deep into a run - not good. Beyond that, however, I experienced disappearing enemies and items, events not triggering properly, enemies and their attacks clipping through walls and some sound issues. All things that you think could have been ironed out if this had spent a bit more time in the oven.
  • I found the story disappointing in its incoherency. I'm all for ambiguity and different interpretations, but the steam-of-consciousness narratives and nonsensical cutscenes grew wearisome and then just boring pretty quickly. I think Housemarque had the foundations here for a really intriguing sci-fi tale, but, by the end, they never really do anything with it except to say 'What do YOU think it all means?', which I thought was a bit of a cop-out.
  • Tied to this was (for me, at least) a lack of longevity and replayability. I reached the credits a couple of nights ago, and although I've played through it since then a couple of times, unlike something like Hades, there's no real reason for me to return apart from to mop up a few missing collectibles and unlock another cutscene or two now that I've finished the game. Granted, it took me about 25 hours to get there, but now that I am there I don't have much reason to go back beyond experimenting with some of the guns I neglected or arbitrarily unlocking trophies. I didn't pay £70 for this, but I'm not sure how I would have felt about it if I had.

Overall, however, I enjoyed my time with this a great deal. It's not quite my game of the year so far, but it's pretty close. Recommended for anyone who enjoys roguelikes, shooters or the Metroid Prime series, and who is up for a meaty (but by no means insurmountable) challenge.

2 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Just saw the credits roll on Mad Max. Only took me 6 years. 

The only thing I didn't like about that game was the end, otherwise a great game with some of the greatest skyboxes ever.

Just finished Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch) in ~40 hours - it's an action JRPG where you are shipwrecked on an island and have to rescue other castaways and plot your escape whilst uncovering the mysteries of the island.

It is a weird one to talk about. I really enjoyed it but hard to put my finger on why. The writing is bad, the over-arching plot is very tropey with some dumb but entertaining twists, the graphics, particularly the environments, are pretty bad (not surprising as it started life on PS Vita) but the character and monster designs are pretty cool. What it comes down to is very satisfying combat; smooth progression that can be done in 20-30 minute chunks with no need to grind if your exploration is relatively thorough; and the loop of uncovering different parts of the island to find new survivors to give you new abilities to access further parts of the island is pretty compelling. And 40 hours is relatively brief for a JRPG these days!

Maybe one for the JRPG heads only, but a solid 7/10 if you are.

1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

Just finished Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch) in ~40 hours - it's an action JRPG where you are shipwrecked on an island and have to rescue other castaways and plot your escape whilst uncovering the mysteries of the island.

It is a weird one to talk about. I really enjoyed it but hard to put my finger on why. The writing is bad, the over-arching plot is very tropey with some dumb but entertaining twists, the graphics, particularly the environments, are pretty bad (not surprising as it started life on PS Vita) but the character and monster designs are pretty cool. What it comes down to is very satisfying combat; smooth progression that can be done in 20-30 minute chunks with no need to grind if your exploration is relatively thorough; and the loop of uncovering different parts of the island to find new survivors to give you new abilities to access further parts of the island is pretty compelling. And 40 hours is relatively brief for a JRPG these days!

Maybe one for the JRPG heads only, but a solid 7/10 if you are.

I played it last year on the PS4 and thought it was great. There’s a real sense of adventure, a whole island to explore, an excellent battle system, blue skies and all the characters have that Skies of Arcadiesque cheerfulness. It’s an absolute classic.

Spoiler

001 : Demon Souls : Really loved it. Started as a Priest but played a STR / END / VIT build. Used the Mace throughout. Didn't use any guides so I know I missed loads so will be playing through again soon.

002 : Werewolf The Apocalypse : A throwback to the PS3 era - it's dated but I found the core gameplay loop very satisfying (sneak, get caught, RAGE!) and the bonkers plot kept me interested.

003: Ratchet and Clank : Drift Apart :   The gameplay doesn't measure up to stunning visuals but still a very enjoyable experience. 

004: The Pathless : A beautiful distillation of key elements from Breath of the Wild (puzzles, exploration, bosses) all backed with a stunning soundtrack.

005: Astro's Playroom :  Charming, bursting with ideas and the nostalgia hit was massive. I want more!

006: Godfall : The interesting combat mechanics don't make up for the complete paucity of the core content - both in terms of the number of areas to explore and the complete lack of variety. There's more to do after the story ends....but why would you.

007: Terminator Resistance Picked this up for £15 on the PS5 and loved it. The soundtrack really helps it..when it kicks in, especially in the later levels, it’s goosebump time.   Also the escalation of the power of protagonist really works..from being terrified of one terminator to charging into battle with the Resistance in the end game..just awesome. It’s creaky yes, the npcs are mannequins and the graphics are hardly cutting edge, but it represents the future wars scenes from Terminator 1 and 2 which such aplomb I cant help but adore it

E6gHDzhWUAEmcaQ.jpg

The showcase for the PS5 release does not disappoint, it is an action-packed adventure with lots and lots of web slinging fun. The main caompaign is much shorter at just over 3 hours but there is enough side content in the game to keep you busy zipping around the map completing side quests, clearing out hideouts, collecting various items from postcards to sound samples.

Playing as Miles, you get to enjoy using his bio-electric powers to hulk-smash and dash around pulverising enemies. There is a large skill tree to unlock which will give you new moves but be warned to complete it you will need to play new game+ and level up enough to gain skill points. You will also need to collect tokens to unlock gadgets and new suits. The best suit in the game however you do not get unitl you have completed the game and start new game + to play a new side quest. Even if you do not want to play the main campaign again make sure you start new game + to ulock this suit. Trust me it is Puurfect!

The story and characters in the game are very good, from Ganke your sidekick buddy, Uncle Aaron who has some hidden secrets and Phin your very close friend who is trying to find a solution to rid the city of Roxxon, a greed-hungry corporation who will stop at nothing to make money. There also some nice cameo's from Peter Parker and others throughout the game.

It had a hefty price tag on release but now can be picked up for around £25 second-hand and for that amount you will certainly enjoy the experience. Make sure you wait around after the credits to see a small scene which shows where the series is going next.

Previously Completed

Lost Sphear (PS5)

Gorogoa (PS5)

Slay the Spire (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 5 (PS5)

Donut County (PS5)

Control (PS5)

When the past was around (PS5)

Undertale (PS5)

Yakuza Like a Dragon (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6 (PS5)

Batman Enemy Within (PS5)

Next is Rebel Galaxy an Elite 'lite' indie title.

18/07/21 - Catherine: Full Body

I originally played through the first few levels of Catherine back on the PS3. And didn't like it. The difficulty ramped up so much it was just no fun. But now with time gone by, a newer edition of the game, I thought I'd give it another try considering how much I love the Persona team. I still don't like it.

I put the game on easy and for a couple of the block pushing puzzles I just put it on Auto and let the game do it for me. None were more frustrating than when it gave you an AI partner who just got in the way. The story hardly kept me interested either as every supposed plot development I guessed about an hour before. It was supposed to be a big reveal but I just shrugged my shoulders. There was one point too where the game swung dangerously towards, "women! am i rite?!", but thankfully it veered back towards a better route. That said, I would be SHOCKED if a single woman worked on any aspect of the story.

In the end I got the Katherine True Ending, according to a guide I looked at. I appear to have missed a lot with the new character Rin, sadly. The stuff with her sounds fucking bizarre. Would've been nice to experience some of that, especially as Vincent's (player character) last ineraction with her was.....problematic to say the least.

How this game got such good review scores continues to baffle me.

3.5/10

Spoiler

January

February

14/02 - Concrete Genie

18/02 - Mega Man 11

March

31/03 - Mega Man X

April

17/04 - Mega Man X4

24/04 - Mega Man Zero

May

23/05 - Mass Effect

June

07/06 - Mass Effect 2

July

02/07 - Mass Effect 3

04/07 - Astro's Playroom

14/07 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Previously...

Spoiler

6.) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
10.) Moss - PS4 - 2018

26.) Subsurface Circular - Switch - 2018 (2017)
Played through twice (second time with developer text commentary).

A 'short' by Mike Bithell (of Thomas Was Alone and Volume fame). A robot detective rides an underground subway system in an unnamed futuristic city, talking to other robots (Teks) and trying to solve a mystery. This is little more than a text adventure, albeit one with graphics. The hum of the subway, the gentle vibration of the controller, the lights and sounds, create a nice atmosphere, but other than the Teks getting in and out of their seats, there's not much else happening. The wider world-building is instead created in the imagination and in the descriptions given by the characters. Gameplay involves starting conversations, working through dialogue choices, finding key words and terms to ask others and a bit of light puzzle solving.

It's not a bad game, but it does feel under-developed. It has a few ideas that it toys with but doesn't flesh out, and the story seems like it can branch more than it actually can. It was made and released in four months, though, which is quite impressive.

4 hours ago, Gambit said:

How this game got such good review scores continues to baffle me.

3.5/10

Reveal hidden contents

January

February

14/02 - Concrete Genie

18/02 - Mega Man 11

March

31/03 - Mega Man X

April

17/04 - Mega Man X4

24/04 - Mega Man Zero

May

23/05 - Mass Effect

June

07/06 - Mass Effect 2

July

02/07 - Mass Effect 3

04/07 - Astro's Playroom

14/07 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Yeah, it's a really stupid game design. Most players come to Catherine looking for an anime visual novel or a block puzzle game. Hardly anyone comes looking for both, and almost everybody leaves disappointed.

I skipped all the story bollocks and just played it as a puzzle game. I thought it was pretty good in that regard, especially Babel mode.

18 hours ago, Welrain said:

007: Terminator Resistance

Damn, I thought this was the full game title. :lol:

The inconceivable movie crossover - now on PlayStation! 

10 hours ago, peeveen said:

Yeah, it's a really stupid game design. Most players come to Catherine looking for an anime visual novel or a block puzzle game. Hardly anyone comes looking for both, and almost everybody leaves disappointed.

I skipped all the story bollocks and just played it as a puzzle game. I thought it was pretty good in that regard, especially Babel mode.

I liked both at the time although I give the story a lot more side eye now (the original cut that is, no idea about the new cut.)

Battle Garegga - Premium mode 1cc

Spoiler

Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste 2 - 1cc (8)

Maho Shoe - 1cc (10)

Espgaluda - 1cc

Donpachi - 1cc

20/07/2021 - Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance (PC)

The thread on here is largely dismissive of this action-brawler RPG but you know what, I quite enjoyed it. It's far from perfect, that's true - I had some falling through/stuck in scenery, there were occasions where either I or the enemy would teleport-slide across the floor and some of the hitbox detection leaves a lot to be desired. The story is absolute bobbins too, I think - I played a lot of this in MP and somebody always skipped the cinematics - but it boils down to you having to stop seven problems within the world you inhabit, culminating in fighting the dragon you see in the opening FMV. It also weirdly tries to meld the game with service elements, yet there's no endgame content at all, other than collecting weapon and armour sets for...reasons.

What it does well though is provide some solid beat-em-up action. You have four characters to choose from - Tank/Assualt/Ranger/Assassin and basically go to town on any fools that get in your way. Each character has a decent moveset and at times it can all look rather stylish. Maps also have a number of hidden areas to find, loot to, well, loot and various strength enemies. Also, because you can play each map on one of six skill levels (obviously the higher ranks are best attempted with a party), once you are tooled-up you can play on the easiest setting and destroy everything in front of you (which is how I played the last few levels after being paired with some rubbish teammates). It's quite empowering to get nary a scratch even from bosses and it's a feeling few games really give you. I liked that.

The game is obviously more fun with other players and, as I said in the thread, if you get a team that is interested in exploring the map and finding all the goodies then it is good to run through a few maps with them. I was fortunate at a low level of being babysat by higher level characters playing on the highest challenge level, meaning that I shot up 3 levels in one go on a couple of occasions. MP also made for some hectic action too, especially when people were firing-off all manner of skills - quite the pyrotechnic display.

It won't ever appear on a game of the year list, the license doesn't really enhance it in any way and there's no real replay value, but I have to say that I really quite enjoyed my time with it - and really, that's all that matters.

Spoiler

10/07/2021 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PC)

02/07/2021 - Weaves of Fate (PC)

27/06/2021 - Through the Woods (PC)

22/06/2021 - Answer Knot (PC)

10/06/2021 - Halo: Spartan Assault (PC)

07/06/2021 - The Hex (PC)

23/05/2021 - Renegade (Spectrum)

15/05/2021 - Lords of Xumila (PC)

09/05/2021 - Devolverland Expo (PC)

09/05/2021 - The Medium (PC)

02/05/2021 - Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms (PC)

01/05/2021 - Shadows: Awakening (PC)

21/04/2021 - Rain on Your Parade (PC)

20/04/2021 - Wasteland 2 (PC)

04/04/2021 - Secret World Legends (PC)

02/04/2021 - She Sees Red (PC)

27/03/2021 - Greedfall (PC)

26/03/2021 - Freedom Fighters (PC)

10/03/2021 - Breath of Death VII (PC)

05/03/2021 - Dungeons & Lesbians (PC)

04/03/2021 - Quantum Break (PC)

26/02/2021 - Marvel Avengers (PC)

20/02/2021 - Life is Strange (PC)

02/02/2021 - P.O.W. (Arcade)

28/01/2021 - Devil's Hunt (PC)

24/01/2021 - A Mortician's Tale (PC)

19/01/2021 - The Touryst (PC)

19/01/2021 - Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forrest (PC)

15/01/2021 - A New Life (PC)

05/01/2021 - Vostok Inc. (PC)

02/01/2021 - Call to the Sea (PC)

01/01/2021 - Suikoden (PS1)

Previously...

Spoiler

6.) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
10.) Moss - PS4 - 2018
26.) Subsurface Circular - Switch - 2018 (2017)

27.) Beyond Eyes - PC - 2015
Played through once, and somehow missed every single optional achievement! (2 hours)

This is a clever and original game about a young blind girl called Rae, who is trying to find her missing cat, Nani. As you navigate the world, it gets 'filled in' like a watercolour painting by Rae's interpretation of what's around her. Sounds, smells and physical touch are manifested visually, and often misleadingly. There might be something ahead that sounds like one thing but turns into another as you get closer. I don't imagine that this is a truly accurate portrayal of blindness, but it's a strange and disconcerting way to explore a virtual environment, shuffling forwards into the unknown white void, which I suppose is the point. If I had any criticism, it's that Rae moves painfully slowly, which is fair enough as she's blind, but when you're backtracking through areas you've already 'revealed', or generally trying to scout out the boundaries of the level, this can start to become tedious. The ending is also a bit of a downer, it must be said. Still, a lovely game and well worth playing.

List:

Spoiler

1. Alba (Apple Arcade)
2. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Switch)
3. My Friend Pedro (Switch)
4. Don't Look Back (iOS)
5. Bowser's Fury [Story] (Switch)
6. Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (SNES/Switch)

7. Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Museum Collection Complete (Switch)
9. Donut County (Xbox Game Pass)
10. The Medium (XSX, Game Pass)
11. GTA V (XSX)

12. Monument Valley – Ida's Dream (iOS)

13. Gears 5 (XSX, Game Pass)
14. Resident Evil 7 (XSX, Game Pass)

15. Rain On Your Parade (XSX, Game Pass)
16. Titanfall 2 (XSX, Game Pass)

17. Batman Arkham Knight (XSX, Game Pass)
18. Call of the Sea (XSX, Game Pass)
19. The Walking Dead: New Frontier (XSX, Game Pass)
20. A Plague Tale: Innocence (XSX, Game Pass)
21. Tales from the Borderlands (Xbox One, GWG)
22. Batman: The Telltale Series – Season One (Xbox One, GWG)
23. Sunset Overdrive (Xbox)

24. DOOM 2016 (Xbox)

25. Lego Builder's Journey (Apple Arcade)
26. Super Mario 3D World (Switch)

27. Batman The Telltale Series – The Enemy Within (Xbox, GWG)

This is much better than the first, but I found myself giving less of a toss about the characters as I don't really care for any of them. Thankfully it was a lot less buggy than the first game. There was nothing wrong with the game at all and it tried to be a lot more interactive than most TT games, though personally I found it was just OK. 

I think this is my first time posting in any of these threads, but I've been making much more of an effort to actually complete games recently and it's been great!

I might have missed a few from earlier in the year, but a few I've completed recently....

Resident Evil 7

I bought this on PSVR and just couldn't deal with the tension!  Tried again a few months later in non-VR and still found it too much.  With all the hype of Resi 8 I thought I'd give it another go and finally completed it.  Loved it!  Really tense - at least up to 

Spoiler

the ship bit which I really didn't enjoy

and just what I want from a Resi game.  Will do Resi 3 remake next but already looking forward to finally getting round to Resi 8.

Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3

In anticipation of Halo Infinite, I thought I'd get back into Halo having only ever completed Halo CE previously.  Really enjoyed going through these, and as mentioned in the 'what you've been playing' thread, the story actually makes sense now.  This is partly due to me actually paying attention to it, but also it being much easier when you play them all in the space of a few weeks.  My heart did sink a bit at the end of Halo 3 when 

Spoiler

I realised that there was going to be another Warthog dash to the finish

but it was actually pretty fun and a nicely dramatic end to the trilogy.  Overall, I've loved getting back into it and may even try playing on Heroic if I've finished all the games before Infinite comes out.

I think ODST is next in release order, but might take a little break as this has been a lot of Halo in a short space of time. 

Yoshi's Crafted World

The first game I've played through from start to finish with my 5 year old, and we absolutely loved it!  Such a brilliant, imaginative, accessible game that kept us laughing and (lightly) challenged throughout.  So much content here too!  My daughter is keen to get right back into it to unlock all the costumes and do the Poochy levels too.  Highly recommended if you've got young children, and a really nice way to spend some quality time together (well, apart from the times I got frustrated when she kept just eating me for fun!).  Think we might have a go at Luigi's Mansion 3 next....

18/07 - 11-11 Memories Retold (PS4) - third person walking sim, set during the 1st World War. You view the game from the perspective of two soldiers, Harry a Canadian photographer and Klaus a German in search of his son. You alternate between the two characters and get to see the events of the war from the perspective of both the Allies and Germans. The most striking thing about this game are the graphics. They've gone for a painting aesthetic with broad brush strokes. At times it looks stunning at others it looks like a PS1 game upscaled onto a 4k screen i.e. awful. As someone fairly interested by the 1st World War I enjoyed this; even if all the endings are unsatisfying which I think is the point; there are no winners from such wars.

Ketsui Deathtiny - Deathtiny mode 1cc

Spoiler

Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste 2 - 1cc (8)

Maho Shoe - 1cc (10)

Espgaluda - 1cc

Donpachi - 1cc

Battle Garegga - Premium mode 1cc

16. Death's Door (2021) - Xbox Series X

image.thumb.png.383ff105985942195d4ff996a646f8d4.png

More screens:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.01d52b8accfea5503f3072a2a3c67a26.png

image.thumb.png.d6b1fbde6849412e3a98d8faf86b0ba3.png

image.thumb.png.eba77b1b6191329e8bfe9a231bf55b92.png

image.thumb.png.e89e12b1f9b42bb81d8e31b8deca1691.png

I've posted about this extensively in the dedicated thread, so I won't say too much, except to say that this has knocked MH Rise off the top spot for my GOTY 2021. It's the best indie game I've played since Hollow Knight. I was compelled enough to 100% it, and it's to the game's credit that I never once felt like I had to use a guide to do so. A wonderful mash-up of Titan Souls, Dark Souls, Hyper Light Drifter and Zelda that still succeeds in carving out a unique identity for itself. Excellent music, animation, art style, characters and exploration, as well as some of the best level design I've ever encountered. The fact that it's made by a two-man team is seriously impressive.

Brilliant! Go and buy it immediately.

24/07/2021 - Stardrop (PC)

Part of the racial justice itch.io bundle, the premise for this - exploring derelict spaceships and find out the mysteries of why they are abandoned in this walking simulator - sounds great and, together with it looking nice in screenshots, really sold me on it. After all, there's something about empty spaceships that seems to be innately appealing, perhaps more so than any other environment (obviously the possibility of extra-terrestrial life can, and often is, be thrown into the mix.) 

Unfortunately, what you end up with is a fairly uninteresting story poorly told (hey, let's drop datapads all around to collect! Let's also ensure we put keycodes in them, so you really have to hunt around!) The script is clumsy at times, too, though I can't quite articulate why. The game also drops in some awful stealth-ish sections which do little other than potentially slow progress down.

The environments never get that interesting, either visually or in terms of storytelling, because whilst the plot tries to inject some sense of peril into why the ships you are exploring are empty, there's no signs of this in terms of the areas you explore, nor from the datapads/emails/bits of paper you read. It's hugely disappointing in that respect.

Because of the above, it feels a lot longer than it is (though I'd say it still outstays its welcome with the 5-6 hour runtime). There was an interesting idea here - once you complete the game there are a couple of additional self-contained missions you can play - but they didn't nail it.

25/07/2021 - Dynamite Dux (Arcade)

This was played purely for nostalgia reasons. Not because I think it's any good - it's not, it's rubbish and a horrible example of a coin-grabber - but because I remember it being in a compilation pack I bought for the Amiga one Christmas and only ever played the first bit of the first area and I've always remembered it. Don't know why, but there it is.

Anyway, as I say, this is awful. Collision-detection is nowhere to be seen, the controls are floaty and imprecise, you lose health when enemies look at you and boss fights lack any creativity or class, killing you off with ease and little to no way to avoid damage all in the pursuit of getting that delicious, precious coin from you. It's terrible and a waste of the 25 minutes or so I spent on it - but at least I've satisfied a long-dormant memory.

Stupid brain.

Spoiler

20/07/2021 - Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance (PC)

10/07/2021 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PC)

02/07/2021 - Weaves of Fate (PC)

27/06/2021 - Through the Woods (PC)

22/06/2021 - Answer Knot (PC)

10/06/2021 - Halo: Spartan Assault (PC)

07/06/2021 - The Hex (PC)

23/05/2021 - Renegade (Spectrum)

15/05/2021 - Lords of Xumila (PC)

09/05/2021 - Devolverland Expo (PC)

09/05/2021 - The Medium (PC)

02/05/2021 - Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms (PC)

01/05/2021 - Shadows: Awakening (PC)

21/04/2021 - Rain on Your Parade (PC)

20/04/2021 - Wasteland 2 (PC)

04/04/2021 - Secret World Legends (PC)

02/04/2021 - She Sees Red (PC)

27/03/2021 - Greedfall (PC)

26/03/2021 - Freedom Fighters (PC)

10/03/2021 - Breath of Death VII (PC)

05/03/2021 - Dungeons & Lesbians (PC)

04/03/2021 - Quantum Break (PC)

26/02/2021 - Marvel Avengers (PC)

20/02/2021 - Life is Strange (PC)

02/02/2021 - P.O.W. (Arcade)

28/01/2021 - Devil's Hunt (PC)

24/01/2021 - A Mortician's Tale (PC)

19/01/2021 - The Touryst (PC)

19/01/2021 - Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forrest (PC)

15/01/2021 - A New Life (PC)

05/01/2021 - Vostok Inc. (PC)

02/01/2021 - Call to the Sea (PC)

01/01/2021 - Suikoden (PS1)