What games did you complete? 2021 Edition

Previously...

Spoiler

1) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch - 2019 (2012)
2) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Switch - 2018 (2014)
3) God of War - PS4 - 2018
4) Shenmue III - PC - 2019
5) Sonic Mania - PC - 2017
6) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
7) Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Vita - 2018 (1992/3)
8) Secret of Mana - SNES - 1993
9) Rez Infinite - PS4 - 2016 (2001/2)

10) Moss - PS4 - 2018

I got to what I guess is the end (of 'Book 1')? Barely three hours long, although I'm aware I missed some of the side quests along the way.

This is a very cute little platformer. Nothing special mechanically, but the presentation elevates it, as it does with many VR titles. Each scene looks like a tiny diorama, and Quill is the cutest little mouse with adorable animations. It's hard to put into words how real this fairtale world feels, but when you're there, it's like you are there. You are actually there, watching/controlling the events in front of you. Flat footage doesn't do VR justice and this is no truer here.

Much like Astrobot, this is a wonderful and well polished experience, and although it's short, it's full of fun ideas and a few head-scratchers to solve. I can't handle too long in the VR helmet, so I honestly didn't mind that it doesn't drag on. Short games are fine for me. That said, the ending is quite abrupt and I assume they're making another one?

It may be too late to claim this as a freebie now, and I don't think it's worth the full price it was going for... however, it is one of the more memorable and enjoyable VR titles I've played, and shows what can be done on the platform. :)  I just need to take a little break from VR titles, they get me all woozy. :(

Apr

25/04 Carto (PC) So this weekend after trying a bit of Days Gone (it actually looks good but it's a little too much for my current mood) I've spent the weekend going through my backlog playing more gentle games. I've finished off the weekend with this neat little puzzle game about a little girl with a magic map trying to find her grandmother after dropping out of an airship. I did look up a faq sheet a couple of times where the puzzles were a little too obtuse but in the main it's charming and clever. It's on gamepass at the moment. It doesn't overstay its welcome and if you have kids it's the perfect game to play with them, it has a real storybook feel to it.

gif-1.gif?t=1612814422

24/04 The Little Acre (PC) I seem to be on an adventure game kick and knowing that this was only about two hours long it was perfect weekend afternoon fare. Set in mid 20th century Ireland Lily and her father Aidan set off on an accidental adventure to work out where their father / grandfather disappeared to. Puzzles aren't too hard and it moves at a fair clip. The animation is lovely with a bit of a Don Bluth feel to it. If it's sitting in your pile of shame make some time for it.

hdYP0gq.gif

24/04 Yorkshire Gubbins (PC) I got a notification that all the current episodes of this point and click adventure game are now in the Steam release (with achievements) so I used this as an excuse to play through it for a second time. It's still charming and funny. If you do play it don't skip the tutorial Verb School which is an amusing mini adventure game by itself. You can run through all four episodes in less than three hours but it's a good three hours.

Previously this month

22/04 Control:Ultimate Edition (PC) 

20/04 Rain on Your Parade (PC) 

02/04 Summer Games 2 (C64)

Earlier this year

Spoiler

16. 16/03 Beach Head 2:The Dictator Strikes Back (C64)

15. 13/03 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:India (PS4)

14. 07/03 Alvastia Chronicles (PC)

13. 27/02 Oxenfree (PC)

12. 26/02 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:China (PS4)

11. 11/02 Beyond a Steel Sky (PC) 

10. 02/02 Stories Untold (PC)

9. 31/01 Katamari Damacy Reroll (PC)

8. 28/01 2020 Game (Browser)

7. 26/01 Observation (PC)

6. 25/01 Hades (PC)

5. 23/01 Donut County (PC)

4. 17/01 The Touryst (PC) 

3. 13/01 My Friend Pedro (PC)

2. 03/01 Tell Me Why (PC)

1. 01/01 Tales from Off Peak City : Vol 1 (PC)

Abandoned

Assassin's Creed Chronicles:Russia

The Medium (PC) 

Patriot Dark - Normal 1cc (10)

Spoiler

Solid State Survivor - 1cc, TLB (10)

Dangun Feveron - Fever arrange 1cc (10)

GG Aleste 3 - 1cc Normal (10)

Aleste - 1cc (8)

Power Strike II - 1cc (10)

GG Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste 2 - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste - Special mode 1cc (8)

Power Strike II - Hard 1cc (10)

GG Aleste 3 - Special mode 1cc (10)

Natsuki Chronicles - 1cc Arcade, Normal (10)

G-Darius HD - 1cc, Lambda route (10)

Cotton Reboot - Arrange 1cc (10)

Cotton Reboot - Arrange hard 1cc (10)

Assault Shell - 1cc, Original single (10)

Assault Shell - 1cc, Void arrange (10)

Assault Shell - 2-all (10)

Barrage Fantasia - 1cc Normal (7)

Barrage Fantasia - Advanced 1cc (10)

On 15/04/2021 at 11:57, cassidy said:

No 11 of the year and it’s Maneater. Really enjoyed my time with this, just chill gaming and fun. 

No 12 of the year is Rain on my parade. 

Enjoyed this and a nice simple 1000 gamerscore from it as well. 

24/4/20 - Mega Man Zero

I played this back on the original GBA and remembered getting quite far in it. God knows how because fuck me it's hard. I guess my skillzz aren't as good as they used to be. After an initial try on the Normal difficulty and abandoning it earlier in the year, I decided to opt for the easier casual setting, just so I could enjoy the design, music and story. It's not bad. A bit disappointing with its level design though. I can see what they tried to do, making each level have alternate paths or objectives, it just wasn't as interesting as having 8 or so unique levels each with a boss at the end.

Also, as much as I enjoy the Mega Man series, I HATE the fact that the endgame boss rush became a staple of the series. Nobody likes them. Nobody.

6/10

Spoiler

January

10/01 - Spiderman: Miles Morales

23/01 - Yakuza Like A Dragon

February

14/02 - Concrete Genie

18/02 - Mega Man 11

21/02 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered

March

21/03 - Persona 5: Strikers

31/03 - Mega Man X

April

17/04 - Mega Man X4

On 21/04/2021 at 09:03, strawdonkey said:

00. Katamari Damacy
0X. Kind Words

01. Hello Charlotte Episode 1

02. Hello Charlotte Episode 2: Requiem Aeternam Deo

03. Hello Charlotte Episode 3: Childhood's End

04. There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

05. Mandagon
06. Heaven Will Be Mine

07. Tales of the Black Forest

Another highly-rated Steam mystery. You play as Kihara Kashin, a girl who can see yokai and mysteriously wakes up at an abandoned train station at a desolate village, where a girl in a kimono who can't talk due to a curse, but can transform into a pigeon stands before her. You take a trip through Japanese mythology, horror, trains, poison gas attacks, time travel and cats amongst a backdrop of the economic bubble crash in the 80s/90s, with the simple aim of trying to get home again. It's every bit as bleak as it sounds and yet has a wonderful soundtrack, is occasionally very funny and you never know what's coming around the corner.

08. Super Mario 3D World

I played this on the Wii U and didn't really get on with it. Don't really know why, 3D Land on 3DS was really good and I'm not sure if I rushed through it the first time around. I've enjoyed it a lot more this second time - have got all the stickers, flagpoles and stars on all the standard levels and unlocked the final world, but don't know if I'll get round to polishing that off. It's not so much that it's too difficult, it's that the things that make Mario games fun to play (balanced difficulty, smart checkpointing, lack of frustration) have all been binned off in favour of one extremely long stage with no checkpoints, no powerups and no room for error. It's simultaneously the best way to test whether you've truly mastered 3D World, and also a frustrating pain in the arse. Same with the purple box level, which wants you to pass 30 ten-second challenges without a single error.

The rest of the game has been delightful, finding some of the stars and stamps feels like you're doing a kind of Nintendo archaeology, and the number of ideas crammed into the game is delightful, things like the flagpost that flies away from you or the lucky cat powerup - they're in the game a couple of times and never outstay their welcome. 

Looking forward to giving Bowser's Fury a go, but will give Champion's Road another couple of goes first as I know as soon as I move on to something else, I'm definitely not going back :)

Dishonoured definitive edition.

Shows it age a lot. Terrible for a definitive experience. Locked 30fps, looks no better apart from its 1080p compared to PS3 720p.

I give it 3/5

I like the art style but the graphics were bad.

I like the powers a lot but the sword combat at 30fps was shit.

I really appreciate the play your own story thing but the stealth in this game is very unforgiving.

Now on to dishonoured 2

Previously...

Spoiler

6) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
10) Moss - PS4 - 2018

11) Halo: Reach - PC - 2019 (2010)

Completed on Heroic difficulty (11 hours).

Given that I've never completed a Halo game on anything above Normal before, given that I haven't played a Halo game since 2007, have never played Reach before, and haven't touched any FPS in nearly a decade... I think I did quite well to get through this on Heroic! And do you know what? It's really bloody good! I haven't enjoyed a proper satisfying combat game like this in a long time. It feels great to control, the battle scenarios are emergent and fun, and even when I'm dying over and over, it's super satisfying to get back up and try again, change tactics, switch weapons, steal a vehicle or try a different approach.

It reminds me of how good Halo was, and although it's been a while since I played the original and can't directly compare, this reminds me the most of that game. A little bit more 'brown', sure. But the Elites are worthy adversaries, there's no dual-wielding to worry about, nor any Flood to spoil the mood. The power-ups are good too, at best adding more fun abilities that suit the level design, like the jetpacks, at worst just giving you a bit of relief with a temporary shield or something.

I've thoroughly enjoyed Halo: Reach; I've been glued to it for the past week and I'm looking forward to getting back into the original/Anniversary and joining the Master Chief for his first adventure. Farewell, Noble Six!

On 26/04/2021 at 10:57, strawdonkey said:

00. Katamari Damacy
0X. Kind Words

05. Mandagon
06. Heaven Will Be Mine

08. Super Mario 3D World

09. Lair of the Clockwork God

I remember Sean from TCGS mentioning this and thinking that it sounded brilliant, and I've been meaning to get around to the Ben And Dan games that I bought on Steam a long time ago. And then, I forgot about this game for about a year until @moosegrinderlisted it as his GotY for last year. With a ringing endorsement like that I couldn't say no, and he's bloody right you know - it's brilliant

LotCG is a hybrid point-and-click adventure game and platformer. Dan is very highbrow, refuses to jump, likes to interact with objects. Ben wants to shift blocks and jump on platforms. They've set off to Peru to look for the cure for cancer; they find the cure for cancer; all the apocalypses come at once, and then they become trapped in an underground bunker with a sentient CRT and it's not even started getting to the weird bit yet.

The game is incredibly stupid in the best way - the writing is smart, the situations are ridiculous, and while the platforming isn't quite up to Mario standards, everything fits together amazingly. There's very little flab, everything exists for a reason and other than a few moments where the puzzles were Peak LucasArts, figuring stuff out was usually an absolute blast. It does the "gathering information from outside the game" thing in a less mind-blowing but more enticing manner - there's a bunch of stuff that crops up that you know you'll need, but isn't relevant until the right moment, and when you reach the moments that you need to utilise that info it's glorious.

Not going much deeper into this as spoilers will ruin it, but seriously give it a crack, it's amazing.

Zenodyne R - 1cc Normal (10)

Spoiler

Solid State Survivor - 1cc, TLB (10)

Dangun Feveron - Fever arrange 1cc (10)

GG Aleste 3 - 1cc Normal (10)

Aleste - 1cc (8)

Power Strike II - 1cc (10)

GG Aleste - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste 2 - 1cc (8)

GG Aleste - Special mode 1cc (8)

Power Strike II - Hard 1cc (10)

GG Aleste 3 - Special mode 1cc (10)

Natsuki Chronicles - 1cc Arcade, Normal (10)

G-Darius HD - 1cc, Lambda route (10)

Cotton Reboot - Arrange 1cc (10)

Cotton Reboot - Arrange hard 1cc (10)

Assault Shell - 1cc, Original single (10)

Assault Shell - 1cc, Void arrange (10)

Assault Shell - 2-all (10)

Barrage Fantasia - 1cc Normal (7)

Barrage Fantasia - Advanced 1cc (10)

Patriot Dark - Normal 1cc (10)

On 07/04/2021 at 17:33, Pelekophoros said:

3/01: Night Slashers (Arcade)

13/02: Ghosts Of Tsushima (PS5)

20/02: Kitty Letter (Android)

21/02: Concrete Genie (PS5)

04/03: Maquette (PS5)

03/04: 198X (PS5)

07/04: Moonwalker (Arcade)

27/04: Apex Legends Season 8 (PS5)

Been playing this for a around a year now, but it's only in season 8 the bug has bitten me. Playing every day and pursuing the BP challenges definitely made a difference to my game. Thoroughly enjoyed it and quite happy to throw money at a game that's kept me in touch with friends while the world burns.

29/04: Call Of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War (PS5)

Campaign was shit. MP feels shit after Apex. Don't care about Zombies. Deleted. Waste of money, wish I had not bothered.

New Super Lucky's Tale

Very few attempts at recreating the charm and gameplay perfection of the 3D Mario games get anywhere near that shining plateau, and this is no exception ... but it's a damn good try! I heard some hyperbolic negative opinions of the first-draft "old" version of this game, but I can only imagine they've taken all criticism onboard and improved it dramatically, because I thought this was a lot of fun, and, crucially, didn't outstay it's welcome. A tiny bit more of a challenge would've been welcomed, and there were too many of those sliding block puzzle minigames, but apart from that, good stuff. 8/10

Spoiler

01/01/2021 - Syberia

07/01/2021 - Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

11/01/2021 - Fe

13/01/2021 - The Touryst

19/01/2021 - The Gardens Between

22/01/2021 - Donut County

22/01/2021 - Virginia

23/01/2021 - The Witness

08/02/2021 - Trials Fusion

22/02/2021 - Streets Of Rage 4

14/03/2021 - Death Squared

08/04/2021 - The Medium

19/04/2021 - Control: Ultimate Edition

30/04/2021 - New Super Lucky's Tale

9. There is No Game: Wrong Dimension (2020) - PC

image.thumb.png.818d61ee5e7edb30aab42f20aa486101.png

I finished this a few weeks ago after the Switch release reminded me that some kind soul bought it for me as my Steam secret Santa, and I still hadn't got around to playing it. There have been a few posts about it since it was ported to Switch, so I won't write too much about it. It's a funny, fourth wall-breaking point-and-click that transcends a number of different genres in its 6 hour runtime and is stuffed full of gags. Everything from Zelda to Manic Mansion to Papers, Please gets a gentle ribbing, and, like Undertale, the jokes will only land properly if you're sufficiently into games to understand all the references. The puzzles themselves, however, are satisfying and logical, with enough lateral thinking, and there were only a few occasions towards the end where I felt the need to use the hint system.

I thought it was good - well worth the tenner or so you can pick it up for, and it made me laugh out loud several times. It's perhaps a smidge too long for this type of game, but if you're looking for something a bit different that tells an interesting tale, then this comes recommended from me.

Completed this year:

Spoiler

1. Hades (2020) - PC/Switch

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2020) - Xbox Series X via Gamepass

3. Tetris Effect/Tetris Effect Connected (2020) - Oculus/PC/Xbox Series X via Gamepass

4. Black Mesa (2020) - PC

5. Astro's Playroom (2020) - PS5

6. Return of the Obra Dinn (2018) - PC

7. Demon's Souls (2020) - PS5

8. Monster Hunter: Rise (2021) - Switch

9. There is No Game: Wrong Dimension (2020) - PC

Previously...

Spoiler

6) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
10) Moss - PS4 - 2018

12) Papers, Please - Vita - 2017 (2013)
Completed with a good ending (revolution!) and got a few other endings along the way. Approximately 5 hours.

Staring at hard-to-read pixelated letters, comparing names and dates, remembering half a dozen changing rules, flicking through pages of a virtual handbook, trying to organise an increasingly cramped workspace of documents and secret passwords against a strict time limit - the gameplay is stressful, often tedious and not fun. It revels in tormenting you, tricking you, and squashing any hope or progress you might feel you're achieving. But I've often thought that games don't necessarily have to be 'fun' to be good. Much like movies don't have to all be comedies, or paintings don't have to all be beautiful. Instead, Papers, Please is able to evoke other emotions, put the player under pressure while exploring issues of poverty, nationalism, authoritarianism, bureaucracy and empathy.

At several points along the narrative path, you can chose to break the rules for a greater cause, side with revolutionaries, look the other way from smuggled goods or just take pity on a poor soul. Of course, the game threatens to end if you don't meet certain quotas, and at the end of every day you will be lucky if your rent, heat and food bills don't wipe you out - and heaven help you if your fictional family gets sick. Do you accept bribes to pay the bills, knowing it will be held against your performance record? Do you stick rigidly to the rules, knowing that your country cares not a jot for your well-being and pays you pitance for your service?

This is an emotionally engaging, clever, sometimes amusing, often heartbreaking, and truly original game. As a fusion of interactivity and emotion, this is a masterful piece of work. I don't particularly want to play it any more, because - and I must reiterate this - it is not fun. But I'm glad it exists. Glory to Arstotzka!

01/05/2021 - Shadows: Awakening (PC)

I'm definitely going to be more selective with my ARPGs in future, because here's another entry where you are restricted, for no reason I can fathom, to 3 skills, making gameplay dull, dull, dull.

Like Greedfall, Kingdoms of Amalur, Baldur's Gate: Deadly Alliance 2 and many others I've played, this restriction is really beginning to grate. I don't even understand why - just use one of the triggers as a modifier to allow the face-buttons to double-up, allowing you more skills to play around with and (in theory, at least) more fun! But this so infrequently happens and it's rubbish. In the case of this game, I don't think it would've made it all that much more interesting, but it would've helped as I laid to waste numerous bland enemies.

It ticks-off the tropes of the genre; open maps to traverse, a hub area of sorts to buy and sell, little secrets dotted about - but it also adds some gimmicks of its own; you see, the main character is a demon that absorbs souls and in practice this means at certain points you recruit different people, offering different skills and abilities (all along the melee/ranged/mage lines). I had 8 characters - plus the starting demon, I think - to play with and whilst they don't functionally play any differently, it was at least something a bit different and the 3 you can take along with you at any one time can effectively be thought of as 'lives' to lose if you are a bit too slow on quaffing potions.

The other little trick this game has is that you can navigate each map in both 'normal' and 'shadow' worlds (only your demon can traverse the shadow world, naturally). Again, this doesn't massively change things, though it does mean extra time trudging across a map, made even more dull if you've already killed everything. There are some puzzles that require you to flip between worlds to solve though, so there is a rather contrived gameplay reason to use it.

As for the plot, well, I gave up on that after a while. You have to destroy a well of souls or something, I don't know. It does have Tom Baker hamming it up though so that's a plus I guess?

At best, then, this is a functional game, neither being terrible nor exciting but merely existing and, ironically for a game about souls, it doesn't appear to have one.

Previously completed:

Spoiler

21/04/2021 - Rain on Your Parade (PC)

20/04/2021 - Wasteland 2 (PC)

04/04/2021 - Secret World Legends (PC)

02/04/2021 - She Sees Red (PC)

27/03/2021 - Greedfall (PC)

26/03/2021 - Freedom Fighters (PC)

10/03/2021 - Breath of Death VII (PC)

05/03/2021 - Dungeons & Lesbians (PC)

04/03/2021 - Quantum Break (PC)

26/02/2021 - Marvel Avengers (PC)

20/02/2021 - Life is Strange (PC)

02/02/2021 - P.O.W. (Arcade)

28/01/2021 - Devil's Hunt (PC)

24/01/2021 - A Mortician's Tale (PC)

19/01/2021 - The Touryst (PC)

19/01/2021 - Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forrest (PC)

15/01/2021 - A New Life (PC)

05/01/2021 - Vostok Inc. (PC)

02/01/2021 - Call to the Sea (PC)

01/01/2021 - Suikoden (PS1)

I've been unusually productive in my gaming this month; after finishing Pillars of Eternity 2 earlier in the month, in April I went on to complete:

Defense Grid: The Awakening

One of my comfort games, which I've loved for a decade now; it's still the best tower defense game made. Decided to go back and get a gold medal on every mission in the main campaign, then went back and completed two of the DLC packages that I'd never before played; the Portal-themed one whose name I forget, and the DLC made to bridge Defense Grid 1 and 2. All in all, a very satisfying 30+ hours. Great fun, the game remains a classic. I may need to play Defense Grid 2 again at some point!

Monster Train

I tend to find deckbuilder games more miss than hit: Slay the Spire was fine, but I got bored quickly; Loop Hero is just far too easy and brain-off to enjoy. I wasn't going to try this, having seen the mixed response, but I noticed it was on Gamepass and decided to give it a shot. And I'm really glad I did, as Monster Train surprised me.

I've happily pushed the game to Covenant 5 so far, have won with every faction (though not every combination, yet), and am coming up on level 10 with all factions. Really enjoying each run, and the daily challenges (apart from the occasional enraging gods of chance moment, of course): just a satisfying game to play over, and over again. I'll likely buy the DLC once I've maxed out the existing factions, not just to reward the developers, but simply because I want to see what they add into the mix.

Previously:

Spoiler

Beginning of April: Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

March: Adios

January: Nightshade, Star Renegades

I started this game in November 2006, and I've only just unlocked the final achievement, so ...

Kameo: Elements Of Power

An XB360 launch title that get a lot of flak, unfairly in my opinion. Yes, it has some "rough" geometry, bizarre character design, occasional janky controls and camera angles, (it really wears its N64 genealogy on it's sleeve) but if you can look beyond all that, it's actually pretty decent. And if you can be bothered to explore the nuances of the score/time attack challenges, it reveals a little more depth, as it forces you to experiment with the many abilities of the myriad of characters, most of which I tended to ignore during the main campaign. Overall, a fun game that falters in execution here and there. 7/10

Spoiler

01/01/2021 - Syberia

07/01/2021 - Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

11/01/2021 - Fe

13/01/2021 - The Touryst

19/01/2021 - The Gardens Between

22/01/2021 - Donut County

22/01/2021 - Virginia

23/01/2021 - The Witness

08/02/2021 - Trials Fusion

22/02/2021 - Streets Of Rage 4

14/03/2021 - Death Squared

08/04/2021 - The Medium

19/04/2021 - Control: Ultimate Edition

30/04/2021 - New Super Lucky's Tale

01/05/2021 - Kameo: Elements Of Power

On 29/04/2021 at 09:37, strawdonkey said:

00. Katamari Damacy
0X. Kind Words

05. Mandagon
06. Heaven Will Be Mine

08. Super Mario 3D World

09. Lair of the Clockwork God

10. Milk Inside a Bag of Milk Inside a Bag of Milk ...

Short one. Help a girl buy milk by talking to her. Amazing 2-bit art style, everything is chunky and unsettling and in three colours. Spoiler below goes into some more detail, the game is literally ten minutes long and costs under a pound so it's just worth jumping in on if you like weird and unsettling PC games.

Spoiler

Almost certainly portraying issues with severe mental illness and/or trauma, resulting in phobias of things you can't even imagine being terrified of, along with the most mundane things being a life-and-death struggle.

The ending sequence with the mother is absolutely terrifying despite the fact literally nothing happens

image.thumb.png.1614dcd981473c93357f797310dbe7ff.png

So far:

Spoiler

1. Alba (Apple Arcade)
2. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Switch)
3. My Friend Pedro (Switch)
4. Don't Look Back (iOS)
5. Bowser's Fury [Story] (Switch)
6. Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (SNES/Switch)

7. Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Museum Collection Complete(Switch)
9. Donut County (Xbox Game Pass)

10. The Medium (XSX, Game Pass)
11. GTA V (XSX)

12. Monument Valley – Ida's Dream (iOS)

13. Gears 5 (XSX, Game Pass)

Let’s just start by saying this games looks incredible. Shame it’s a bit dull. Act I was really enjoyable with lots of shooting and action and then it turns into a weird open world with vast expanses of nothing and small pockets of action. Then there seemed to be loads of insta-fail death parts, which were irritating as balls. It was just really poorly judged and unnecessary (IMO). Will be uninstalling ASAP as it’s around 2 million petabytes in size. Maybe it’s better in co-op but I can’t be arsed to find out. 

10. A Short Hike (2019) - PC

20210503214101_1.thumb.jpg.a378d4a2665a391d560d54bee2887c7a.jpg

This took me 89 minutes to finish and I played it through in two sittings. It was lovely - just as charming as everyone says it is. My only regret was playing it with a keyboard as opposed to my controller, as, combined with the viewpoint, it made controlling some of the gliding and climbing sections a bit fiddly. Apart from that though, I thought it was an endearing little game that reminded me by turns of Animal Crossing, Celeste and even Lonely Mountains: Downhill in some places. The way the music swells and subsides as you get closer to the summit is especially good.

Is it worth going back to explore and complete all the side-quests? There's no map, from what I could find, and the fixed camera perspective makes keeping track of where you are more difficult than it otherwise would be.

Spoiler

1. Hades (2020) - PC/Switch

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2020) - Xbox Series X via Gamepass

3. Tetris Effect/Tetris Effect Connected (2020) - Oculus/PC/Xbox Series X via Gamepass

4. Black Mesa (2020) - PC

5. Astro's Playroom (2020) - PS5

6. Return of the Obra Dinn (2018) - PC

7. Demon's Souls (2020) - PS5

8. Monster Hunter: Rise (2021) - Switch

9. There is No Game: Wrong Dimension (2020) - PC

10. A Short Hike (2019) - PC

@Jamie JohnI'd say no, because the joy and charm of the game was just exploring the environment and talking to people, rather than doing any tasks. Now if the question is just about spending more time in that cosy little world and maybe doing the odd thing here and there, then sure. 

03/05/2021 - Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

I've been flitting between games quite a lot over the last few months, as nothing really seemed to hold my attention since Sekiro outside of small games. With Resi 8 on the way though I remembered I still hadn't played the Resi 3 remake (3make?).

I loved what Capcom did with the remake of Resi 2, and was delighted to see that they were giving 3 the same treatment so quickly. However, like the original I think it suffers a bit from feeling like a slightly rushed rehash. Resi 2's unforgettable police station is replaced with a bunch of very forgettable streets and buildings, something made more noticeable when you briefly revisit that police station. The relentless dread of Mr. X is replaced with the Nemesis who now only shows up for set-pieces, and doesn't say "STARS" very much. :( That lack of dread is part of a more general lack of atmosphere actually, with little that managed to get to me beyond the odd jump scare.

Despite all that it was still great fun to play. I still love the original PS1 games, and like the last remake this did a great job of modernising those games without losing their essence. 

I think I'll play something calmer before Village turns up, but after that I'm tempted to check out the other games in the series I never got around to playing. I've never played Zero, 5, 6 or either of the Revelations games, so I should probably do something about that. I'm fully prepared to face the worst of the series for the sake of completionism. :D

Spoiler

January

25/01/2021 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

February

21/02/2021 - The Room

March

06/03/2021 - Gorogoa
07/03/2021 - The Room 2

April

Nothing!

May

03/05/2021 - Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

Twin Breaker - A Sacred Symbols Adventure (Switch)

I've always enjoyed a bit of Arkanoid so when I spotted this Breakout clone for sale I snapped it up. Ultimately the basic graphics, uninspiring music and samey levels left me a bit cold.

There's one neat trick where you have to control four bats (or in this case interstellar ships) at the same time resulting in a lot of rubbing head and patting tummy coordination mayhem but even this becomes repetitive quickly.

It was only £3.50 so I can't complain but it lacks pizzazz and personality.

5/10

3/4/21 - Subnautica (PS4)

This one in the list of play-at-home games from Playstation, so I picked it up and dived in (pun intended)  About 12 hours later I felt completely lost and didn't know what to do - I wandered around for a good few hours trying to discover something before looking at some FAQ's to give me some hints.  It annoyed me that I needed to do so, and no doubt some might have relished in the vagueness of it all, but I needed a little more hand-holding to enjoy this.  Once armed with some help I was off and running again, but I still needed to return to it to locate blueprints for things that I'd missed and a few other things.

I did have some real issues on the PS4, I had 3 crashes of the game, and for a long time I had a glitch where I would fall through the floor coming through a teleport gate and couldn't get out... that was annoying.  Overall, I was glad I stuck with it (mostly as I'd spent long enough to be determined to finish it) but not sure if this type of game is for me.

Yakuza Like a Dragon (PS5)

I have not played any of the previous Yakuza games, so why was I interested in this game?

Because I enjoy turn-based RPGs, proper turn-based not like the Final Fantasy 7 Remake classic mode!

Yakuza Like a Dragon ticks all the right boxes for a great RPG, first it has an enjoyable cast of characters from Ichiban your main protaganist to Nanba a homeless guy who has a complex backstory. I played with the English voice-acting and it is very good.

Each character can be assigned a job which will give them a wide array of skills, these jobs can be changed when you want but it is probably best to stick with one through the game so you can level up the job rank. Each rank upgrade will reward you with better stats and may unlock new skills.

Most important on the RPG checklist is the story because this is what will keep you interested to carry on playing, Like a Dragon's story will throw a few surprises and is inter-linked with a wide-array of characters from Family Patriarchs to leaders of various factions. 

There are also many sidequests which will see you helping the residents of Ijincho with their problems and you will also be introduced to some of the mini-games from Can-Collecting to Dragon Kart. Whilst walking around Ijincho, Sotenbori or Kamurocho you have many distractions from Shops, Restaurants, Casino's to Arcades which give you the oppurtunity to enjoy some classic Sega Games including Space Harrier, Out Run & many more. There is also a workshop which will allow you to upgrade certain weapons but be warn getting the materials for later upgrades will require you to grind either Dungeons or the Battle Arena.

My only gripe was the RNG involved in getting the Honk-Honk characters to appear on the map, after a few hours of trying I gave up to enjoy finishing the story.

Overall it is a great RPG to enjoy with an engaing story and loveable cast of characters, I am hoping the developers stick with the turn-based combat for the next Yakuza game & bring back Ichiban and his gang.

Previously

Undertale https://youtu.be/_zqUlC9TAtg

Donut County https://youtu.be/yUxgq9bbJiU

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 5 https://youtu.be/aQgiOjVhHr8

Slay the Spire https://youtu.be/UWV1vTsvdsc

Gorogoa https://youtu.be/PaCL3IxlIRE

Lost Sphear https://youtu.be/UHMVeN319aI

04/05/21 - New Super Lucky's Tale (Switch)

One from the backlog! Originally started last year and abandoned, I needed a quick and pleasant game to keep me occupied during my work lunch breaks and this was actually pretty good! I'm not going to sit here and say "It's like Nintendo's finest!" because I'm not fucking nuts. What it is though, is a nice, simple platformer that young un's and old un's I feel will equally enjoy.

You unlock some special challenges after the credits, but I feel like I've got my fill of the main game. And my rule is that if the credits role then the game's finished.

7/10

Spoiler

January

10/01 - Spiderman: Miles Morales

23/01 - Yakuza Like A Dragon

February

14/02 - Concrete Genie

18/02 - Mega Man 11

21/02 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered

March

21/03 - Persona 5: Strikers

31/03 - Mega Man X

April

17/04 - Mega Man X4

24/04 - Mega Man Zero

Dishonored 2 - 4/5

Ended up doing this in low chaos according to the trophy though the death toll was high.

Great graphics, bad sword combat, amazing abilities, complex level design, stingey upgrade system slightly anticlimactic at the end.

You know I only found the other blueprint upgrades at the black market in the last level.

I couldn’t understand way there was no upgrade to help muffle your footsteps, but there it was. Great. Oh well at least I had the crossbow completely upgraded, despite never using it.

I feel like arkane are a step away from greatness, maybe deathloop is the one. Until then I recommend the Dishonored games if you can get them at a good price and Prey.

….now on to Death of the Outsider.

Been a busy boy ever since I got me one of those Playstation 5 jobbies:

Astro's Playroom (PS5)

I mean, who wouldn't complete this? Worth playing through to find all the fun references, loads of great gameplay ideas. I just want mooooore! Platinum'd!

ASTROs-PLAYROOM_20201121090642-scaled.thumb.jpg.a2b39dee5d6592ced0a820ad73048ba8.jpg

The Pedestrian (PS5)

A nice concept for a puzzle game, visually well executed, but kind of easy for my obviously incredibly smart brain. 

ss_a0ea7589e4de81a4293de5d21a3d5a1ae489db6f.1920x1080.thumb.jpg.cc4d22e1029cecd902546181b05b0911.jpg

Immortals: Fenyx Rising (PS5)

While I passed this off as a total rip-off of Zelda BOTW at first, after a fair few hours of gameplay it dawned on me that I love this game way more than BOTW (how do you like that hot take?). The exploration, puzzles, combat, narrative, etc took what Zelda did well and just built on it. I don't think I was ever bored in the 50 or so hours it took me to get the platinum trophy, except towards the end where I used a guide to find and tame all the remaining mounts (which aren't signposted in-game at all). I'll probably buy the season pass too. 

immortals-fenyx-rising-review-8.thumb.jpg.7e4284deeb9f5edf377f714f4c8a8540.jpg

Now I'm holding out for Resident Evil 8 this weekend (and maybe Returnal down the line, when it gets cheaper)

Completed Games:

Spoiler

Switch:

Wunderling (03/01)

Horace (25/01)

PS5:

Astro's Playroom (03/04)

The Pedestrian (04/04)

Immortals: Fenyx Rising (01/05)

PC:

Everhood (02/02)

Previously...

Spoiler

6) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
10) Moss - PS4 - 2018
12) Papers, Please - Vita - 2017 (2013)

13) Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC - 2020 (2011/2001)

Completed on Heroic difficulty (approx. 14 hours).

That's two Halo games done in quick succession, albeit not in the order they were released. Although Halo 1 follows on from the storyline of Halo Reach, it's very apparent that it was made nearly a decade earlier. Even with the updated visuals, it feels like an older game, has a fair few late-90s throwbacks like escort missions and some dodgy checkpointing. It's also got some of the most ludicrously repetitive level design I've ever seen and I don't know how I excused it back in the day. To top it off, the second half of the game is just the first half but backwards, and with new enemies to fight. I much preferred the first half of the game, particularly the wide open levels with vehicles and engaging Covenant foes. This still has the best combat, weapon balance, fun physics, enemy AI and everything else that makes Halo so damned fun. It's just showing its age a little bit.