Gaming Predictions 2021

Qazimod

It's that time again. I feel like I did fairly well with my 2020 predictions; only the most outlandish suggestions turned out to be false. As suggested with last year's thread, try to predict things that definitely won't be confirmed later today :D and you should end up with a solid list. And with that...

Balan Wonderworld is released to a mixed reception. I mean, I love NiGHTs, but aside from the art style I don't find this all that interesting. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong. (Update: this literally has red critic metascores and green user metascores on some pages, so does that count?)

Enhance Games provides some news and updates on Humanity but it isn't released in '21. I wanted to predict that they release it as a nice surprise, but there's still so much that's unknown.

No Switch "Pro" hardware refresh next year. Not whilst the existing hardware is selling so well.

Nier: Reincarnation is released!... but either it's unavailable in the UK App Store or my device doesn't meet the requirements to run it. Bah.

I don't have any interest in the series and I haven't played any of the games. Maybe there's an announcement, maybe there's a logo, maybe there's a trailer. I'm just going to say "Uncharted 5"

I really don't know what to expect out of '21 so my predictions are pretty scattershot. Hopefully you can do better!

Final Fantasy 16 will encounter development delays that directly impact 7 Remake Ep2.

Nintendo will megaton release a highly anticipated new title way ahead of expected time.

Nintendo will hype a new hardware announcement, and it will be the N64 Mini.

The cost of Xbox Live subscriptions will increase to make Gamepass Ultimate seem an even better proposition.

The first half of the year will be very slow for releases due to COVID; October will be an even more ridiculously packed month for releases than normal.

E3 won’t happen again.

57 minutes ago, tnman said:

Final Fantasy 16 will encounter development delays that directly impact 7 Remake Ep2.

What do these two games have to do with each other? Two different teams as far as i know.  Kingdom Hearts 3 and VII Remake share Nomura but not XVI.

• Switch will stay at it's original launch price for another year
  • Another year without a Switch Hits value line-up to make remakes of remakes actually decently priced
  • Switch Pro model launch, but still comes with JoyCon drift
  • N64 Mini and N64 games published on Nintendo Online
  • New Xbox hardware
  • Game Pass will become even better value than it already is
  • Microsoft buys THQ Nordic
  • Sony introduces direct Game Pass competitor (and might kill PlayStation Now in the process)
  • New Destiny-style Killzone will launch before Fortnite-like Halo
  • EA will ruin the first Codemasters games and will announce Formula 1 2021 Ultimate Team
  • Ubisoft will go another year without releasing good games
  • Agent 47 will come to Mortal Kombat

• Billionaire company owners and gamers alike continue to defend systemic crunch as a 'necessary evil' to ensure the development of Important Artistic Projects.
  • On a completely unrelated note, company executives and HR departments continue to loudly declare the irrelevance of unions to the industry.
  • Games media outlets continue to run articles about the awful working conditions in the development of games. These same outlets also continue to review, praise and finally give game of the year awards to said games.
  • Psychonauts 2 comes out and is lovely. Nobody buys it.
  • the DualSense's I Can't Believe It's Not HD Rumble + 90s-era force-feedback is swiftly forgotten by developers, and relegated to the occasional gimmick.
  • Silksong comes out. It's well good.

- It emerged that there's a major design fault in either the PS5 or Xbox Series hardware that causes them to start failing with regularity. We're talking red ring level here. 

- Playdate (remember that?!) isn't released. 

- Absolutely nothing is heard of either Metroid Prime 4 or Breath of the Wild 2. COVID has hit development hard on these in particular and they're some way behind schedule. 

- Resident Evil 4 Remake announced and released. Forum GotY 2021.

- Off the back of the success of the toys, there's an actual Lego Super Mario videogame. 

Breath of the Wild 2 isn't released

No More Heroes 3 isn't released

Bayonetta 3 isn't released

Horizon Kayne West isn't released

Halo Infinite isn't released

Splatoon 3 is announced

Shinobi game is announced

Resident Evil 8 is released

Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin! is finally announced and released in English as something like Yakuza: Way of the Samurai

Cyberpunk will get DLC

CD Projekt Red won't fix their game to any acceptable standard on PS4/XB1

Sony buy Bluepoint Games

Nintendo buy Platinum Games

A Switch without a screen is released, but not in European territories

Microsoft will release a mid cycle updated console called the Xbox X series Super XXX which is so powerful even the UI will be rendered in the best 4k you've ever seen (console UIs being notoriously hard to render in high resolutions or frame rates) - the console will have more computing power than 24 large hadron colliders but still only be able to play most games at 30fps and render colour using shades of space marine grey.

Sony will cut out the middle men and no longer sell PS5s via retailers - they will simply take the 2 containers of consoles they have been allotted to get thru the new 'taking back control' ports in 2021 to a lay-by just outside Felixstowe and sell them directly to eBay scalpers for cash out the back of the trucks. Only people who can prove they sold 10 PS5s via eBay before xmas will be allowed to buy them.

Nintendo will announce the new Switch Pro, which will launch with an all new super enhanced version of Mario Kart 8 (there will be a new bonus course based on a magical garden Miyamoto san once saw in a sake induced fever dream).  The Switch Pro will use the chip from an old Motorola Razr flip phone but Nintendo first party games will still look better than anything on Sony or MS machines.

Full price open alpha Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually move into full price open beta in Q4 2021 - CD Projekt will reveal the name of the game was actually the working title and projected launch date.

Forza whatever the next number is will release on Gamepass to critical acclaim - its all the same old tracks, same old cars, even Dan Beard Bloke will be bored of talking about tyre physics and puddle reflections and nobody will muster any enthusiasm to argue about it apart from the MS v Sony fanboys who will see it as an important thing for 40-50y old blokes to argue about and conclusively prove who has the best games machine under their TV and whether Forza or Gran Turismo is the bestest.

Despite having an unplayed NES mini, and unplayed SNES mini and one of those 35th anniversary Mario Game & Watches in a drawer somewhere they never play everybody will order an N64 mini to add to the pile of old tat Nintendo has re-sold them for the umpteenth time.

Nobody will find a use for AR in gaming - the whole industry will realise that a game set on your lounge floor/bog will always look shite and be a bit dull.

EA will make an IAP available for all versions of FIFA which lets you buy vaccine for your FUT team cards to ensure your player cards don't catch COVID and miss games quarantining.

Untitled Goose Game 2 will be released and everybody will be disappointed - @greatgamer24 says 'the honk sound is not as well realised as the original' @sonyfan says 'whilst I can see every feather rendered on PS5 what am I actually meant to be doing' - everybody then realises they only played the original for 10m but voted for it as game of the year because they could go 'honk' a lot. HONK.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:
  • Billionaire company owners and gamers alike continue to defend systemic crunch as a 'necessary evil' to ensure the development of Important Artistic Projects.
  • On a completely unrelated note, company executives and HR departments continue to loudly declare the irrelevance of unions to the industry.
  • Games media outlets continue to run articles about the awful working conditions in the development of games. These same outlets also continue to review, praise and finally give game of the year awards to said games.
  • Psychonauts 2 comes out and is lovely. Nobody buys it.
  • the DualSense's I Can't Believe It's Not HD Rumble + 90s-era force-feedback is swiftly forgotten by developers, and relegated to the occasional gimmick.
  • Silksong comes out. It's well good.

Don't need to buy it. Game Pass, baby!

Bethesda's Starfield is announced properly around June. Releases in November, is as broken as Cyberpunk in it's own way and somehow this is ok.

Nintendo reveal their next console. It is an evolution of the Switch that is completely handheld but transmits to a TV without need of a docking station.

New game reveals continue to ignore their wider back catalogue sticking to more Mario (incl new Mario kart) and STILL no new advance wars/ Mother/ Kid icarus/ F zero...

Metroid has a big reveal..BOTW2 is still a no show this year.

Mass Effect trilogy remasters are barely more than the original games in 4K. EA continue to frustrate with their drip feeding of boring, pointless CG trailers and no actual gameplay for upcoming anticipated titles.

Microsoft buy Ubisoft.

CD Projekt Red go into administration with no chance to fully fix CP2077

Nintendo show footage of Metroid with a release date of Spring 2022

Google Stadia halves the price of their Premier Edition to help get it moving, it doesn’t really help.

Sony announce Demon’s Souls 2. From Software has no involvement.

MS new Perfect Dark game is released but tanks even though it’s actually a really good game.

The remade Goldeneye game gets leaked online.

PS5 GOW:Ragnarok doesn't launch in 2021

Neither does Horzion: Forbidden West

Gran Turismo is a no show in 2021 too

Namco tease a Ridge Racer related announcement but it's a massively disappointing mobile game or something (again).

I really hope I'm wrong.

Alright, I'll have a go again:

- PSO2: New Genesis will be a exceptionally muted release due to being attached to PSO2 by the hip, and that's 'already released'. However, it will slowly continue to pick up new players because generally fuck all is out next year and it's a free to play game.
Inverse effect happened - It was a red hot launch, and then dropped off the face of the earth because there was no content.

- Bit of a long-term one: £70 continues to be the norm for games, with every publisher citing some bullshit regarding leaving the EU. Videogames become a marginalised hobby for the next few years, due to a lot people not having/willing to part with a large amount of cash especially with Covid-related layoffs. First few AAA titles bomb until publishers buckle and promote games at £50 RRP again. PC market continues due to game keys retailing at about 40-50 quid territory if you want the flavour of the month.
Again, long term, but currently ringing true in terms of pricing.

- Nier Replicant will be horrifically optimised on PC for no good reason. I will still buy it like a fucking idiot.
There was definitely some frame-pacing issues (likely down to DRM), but nothing awful like Automata. I did buy it like a fucking idiot. Game was good, btw.

- Skull and Bones will officially be canned by Ubisoft. Nobody will care, because it's Ubisoft and they shit out 10 identikit open world games anyway.

Nope, still getting wheeled out at press conferences. Ubisoft can fuck off still, for very much for broader reasons.

- A new GTA will be announced, because Red Dead Online never really took off.

I mean, the remastered GTA Trilogy came out. That went well.

- Fallout 76 will continue to be supported by generally well-received updates. Conversely, Marvel's Avengers will not.
Both games are receiving reasonable updates.

- A Zelda compilation will be released to coincide with the 35th Anniversary, and to coincide with the fact that everything's in Nintendo's walls is still stuck in development due to Covid. It will also have a daft time limit to buy it like the Mario compilation.
I'm counting the Zelda Game & Watch. Although the time limit will be set on how many they want to produce instead of an arbitrary date. 

- Thinking about the above, a Zelda-related free game will also be released. Maybe a version of Zelda 1 that's been rejigged to be a Battle Royale - because, hey, fuck it right?
Nope. We got a Pokémon MOBA instead.

- As before: an indie breakout on PC right now will make the top 5 of RLLMUK's GOTY Awards due to a Switch release. Bets are currently on Noita, WORLD OF HORROR, Prodeus, and Omori.
Still in the air, but I don't think this is happening unless half of RLLMUK play Disco Elysium immediately or jump on Record of Lodoss War in December.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

CD Projekt Red go into administration with no chance to fully fix CP2077

Nintendo show footage of Metroid with a release date of Spring 2022

Google Stadia halves the price of their Premier Edition to help get it moving, it doesn’t really help.

Sony announce Demon’s Souls 2. From Software has no involvement.

MS new Perfect Dark game is released but tanks even though it’s actually a really good game.

The remade Goldeneye game gets leaked online.

No way will Perfect Dark be out in 2021.

Psychonauts 2 will be great and Because Game Pass lots more of us will play it at launch.

sure.

There will be a rumour that Starfield runs much better on PS5 just before it’s only launched on Xbox/PC. I can’t quite decide whether someone gets sacked for the rumour.

well it’s Xbox/pc only, but no one’s said how well it was running on PS5. Given that it all seems much of a muchness, seems unlikely now too.

Deathloop’s ambiguous console exclusivity lasts all of a day after launch, if that. It’s not very good anyway.

I mean, it’s not actually been announced but it’ll clearly happen one year in. I liked it.

GT7 slips out of the first half of the year. Ratchet and Clank doesn’t.

no shocks there.

There’s no way that GoW2 comes out. Or Fable. Or Starfield.

ditto.

Elden Ring doesn’t come out.

ditto

Halo Infinite comes out, but only the multiplayer section.

though it was partial…

Metroid Prime is showcased and launches.

if only I’d said a Metroid game.

There is no Switch Pro released.

has no one heard of the chip shortages?

There is a Daisy/Toad cart pair released to complement Mario/Luigi.

this is a real shame.

Apple’s next Apple TV goes big on Apple Arcade and their new graphics chip.

Apple Arcade feels like another initiative by Apple dying on its arse.

PC graphics card stock doesn’t improve in the U.K.

and then some. It’s ridiculous that I could sell my eighteen month old graphics card for two and a half times what I paid for it.

and then not be able to replace it with the next model down.

The PS5 remains effectively out of stock to all but scalpers through May.

could be orange (you could sort of grab one) but it’s probably green,