Perfect musical choices, cues or stings in Film and TV

4 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

The person who uses music most effectively in film and tv at the moment, for me, is Céline Sciamma.

It's partly due to the fact that she uses music so sparingly, its absence means that it has more impact when it's present. But it's also due to the way it's perfectly integrated into the story.

The opening to Girlhood isn't just great but the sharp fade to silence shortly afterwards tells you so, so much about the characters and the environment they inhabit. *That* scene in the hotel room is absolutely incredible, on a par with the Dance of the Red Shoes. I didn't even like Rhianna's Diamonds before watching the film but it so perfectly fits the plot, the moment and the characters that it completely overwhelmed me. I could post those scenes here, but they don't work in the same way without the framework of the film around them.

And the music to Portrait of a Lady On Fire is extraordinary. There's almost nothing there and what is there is within the scene itself, not additional audio. The ending has one of the most nerve shredding pieces of music I've heard in a film. It's a piece I've heard plenty of times before, just not played like that. The versions I've heard before have always been quite well mannered and polite. But this sounded like something was being let loose or barely contained. Again, plot and music choice work in perfect harmony together.

Absolutely this. Celine Sciamma is an absolute master of using music in film.

I think the director who uses music and score best, has to be David Lynch. So many great music moments in his films, usually with Angelo Badalamenti, but my favourite moment of his would be this clip from Wild At Heart. The way that the hard rock on the radio morphs into Richard Strauss as the lovers embrace is just pure cinema.

7 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

The person who uses music most effectively in film and tv at the moment, for me, is Céline Sciamma.

It's partly due to the fact that she uses music so sparingly, its absence means that it has more impact when it's present. But it's also due to the way it's perfectly integrated into the story.

The opening to Girlhood isn't just great but the sharp fade to silence shortly afterwards tells you so, so much about the characters and the environment they inhabit. *That* scene in the hotel room is absolutely incredible, on a par with the Dance of the Red Shoes. I didn't even like Rhianna's Diamonds before watching the film but it so perfectly fits the plot, the moment and the characters that it completely overwhelmed me. I could post those scenes here, but they don't work in the same way without the framework of the film around them.

And the music to Portrait of a Lady On Fire is extraordinary. There's almost nothing there and what is there is within the scene itself, not additional audio. The ending has one of the most nerve shredding pieces of music I've heard in a film. It's a piece I've heard plenty of times before, just not played like that. The versions I've heard before have always been quite well mannered and polite. But this sounded like something was being let loose or barely contained. Again, plot and music choice work in perfect harmony together.

I’ve never heard of anything referenced in this post. 

I love how La La Land teases you with parts of the main melody throughout before you hear it in full. Such a clever idea as I found myself singing along and I didn't know why.

I don't think this is the first time it happened at all but it's done perfectly. 

Uncut gems deserves a shout out as well, perfect match up for me.

It definitely helps that it's possibly the best pop song in existence but the moment Harvey Keitel's head hits the pillow might've been the point in my teens when I realised that films can be more than just disposable popcorn fodder.

On 01/01/2021 at 08:33, Pete said:

I love how La La Land teases you with parts of the main melody throughout before you hear it in full. Such a clever idea as I found myself singing along and I didn't know why.

Which reminded me of First Man's moon landing scene. Brilliant.

https://youtu.be/zfNhkYHrfj0

The soundtrack gets bonus points for including the theremin. Armstrong was obsessed with it. :)

On 31/12/2020 at 15:28, Camel said:

GoT, as mentioned, has a cracking intro. Westworld has too. 

These were both composed by Ramin Djawadi, and whilst they're both great, his true crowning achievement is the Pacific Rim theme

Apologies for the poor quality, but I've always loved the single 7 minute long composed music that plays during the hijacking scene in Air Force One. 

I just watched Suspiria (the original) for the first time this evening, so basically the whole soundtrack. But in particular:

Spoiler

The opening sequence where the music fades in and out as the airport doors open and close.