IGNORED

It's 2021 soon. What is retro?

dumpster

16 minutes ago, strider said:

I don't think any of us get credited for any of the features either.

From looking through an issue all the features and interviews seem to be reprints (but translated obviously). The designs are identical.

And there's 4 pages on the new PS and Xbox launches. Which is weird. Perhaps because the German editor got the freebies he's pictured clutching with glee.

6 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

From looking through an issue all the features and interviews seem to be reprints (but translated obviously). The designs are identical.

And there's 4 pages on the new PS and Xbox launches. Which is weird. Perhaps because the German editor got the freebies he's pictured clutching with glee.

That is weird. We don't have any involvement in the magazine so I don't know the reasoning behind that.

We'll be covering the launch, but in 15 years time.

We obviously got sent a Series X due to the backwards compatibility side of it, which is why there have been two retro revivals in two subsequent issues, but a launch. That's a very interesting thing for a retro mag to cover.

Specific to the forum- we're in the position where games with threads that were contemporary at the time of release now slowly slipping into the retro category.

If I wanted to discuss a PS2 game I've been playing for example, should we start a new thread in this folder or exhume the old one?

5 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Specific to the forum- we're in the position where games with threads that were contemporary at the time of release now slowly slipping into the retro category.

If I wanted to discuss a PS2 game I've been playing for example, should we start a new thread in this folder or exhume the old one?

Maybe it could be resurrected in Discussed and transferred over to here?

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

I'm going to assume that's just the unfortunate result of a 'play this recent game' page being in a retro-headed section rather than anybody thinking something from 2017 is retro in 2021...

but at the same time that made me shudder a bit.

Yeah and to be fair the PS1 and 2 at least are most of the rest of the section, nothing before that of course.

6 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Yea, I think ‘retro’ in gaming is basically games you played as a kid, and it’s totally plausible for some 28 yr old for example to remember games from the early 2000s and hold for nostalgia for them.

Absolutely not. Everyone must adhere to the same thing. Which is that anything post 2000 is not retro :)

19 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I think we should all agree that 2000 is the cutoff for retro,

Obviously RG should still cover things after 2000 because it can still be interesting, it’s just not actually retro. And that’s fine. 

Agree to disagree. You can have a cut off point but that won’t mean anything to the 20 year-old who played 360 as a kid. That will be retro to them!

Another good reason for PS2 era is it’s before the HD era of gaming. Ultimately we don’t use the word retro for what it means anyway 😂