Games you'd back yourself at.

Only single player, but long forgotten arcade racer ‘Rad Mobile’

The only arcade game I could complete with a single coin, and the only time I had an audience watch me (and give me a little clap) when I beat it. 

Shitty old game really, but it’s a nice memory to have I guess.

3 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I’d fancy myself against most people on the arcade version of Deathsmiles. It’s my favourite bullet hell, and I’ve played through it so many times.

Oooooh! What's your score, phil?

I like playing it, but I think my scoring game is pretty piss tea weak.

Do you do the extra stage and go max difficulty and gobble up all the suicide bullets with your familiar and all that?

I remember getting pretty good at Crazy Taxi on the DC to the point where I could go pretty much indefinitely on arcade mode (actually maybe I’m misremembering slightly - I got pretty good at it though).

I wouldn’t back myself at it.

If I had to choose anything, it would be something obscure that few people had bothered with. Maybe House of Usher on the Commodore 64. I’d need a bit of practice first as I haven’t played in about 30 years.

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

The closest I can get us Tetris but also know I would be rinsed by two people here. @sir stiff_one and @Jonster.

6 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I'd have said Street Fighter if I hadn't played thousands of hours more Street Fighter since thinking I was good.

Thanks Brad, but the Street Fighter thing applies for me with Tetris. I’m of the impression I’m pretty terrible at it now haha. Shame it applies to me with Street Fighter as well :lol:

17 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Thanks Brad, but the Street Fighter thing applies for me with Tetris. I’m of the impression I’m pretty terrible at it now haha. Shame it applies to me with Street Fighter as well :lol:

Haha you'd still batter me.

If we could rewind to the early days of SFIV I'd back me and the absolute bullshit I used to annoy people with via the power of Dhalsim. So many raging messages on Live.

I'm under no illusion that I'm actually any good at the game.

I used to be able to loop Yie Ar Kung-fu on the Spectrum almost infinitely and I used to be able to break Dragon's Fury on the Mega Drive so maybe those, but again, only if a time machine was involved.

I'm playing Doom Eternal right now, on Nightmare difficulty. It's punishing, almost frustratingly so, but I feel myself getting better at the game every day. Finally beating an encounter after the thirtieth attempt makes me feel unbeatable, ironically.

The only game I've ever been genuinely good at, good enough to compete at a global level, is Imperishable Night. A "bullet hell" game from 2004, which I picked up between finishing university and finding my first proper job. I spent many late nights as a mystical Japanese shrine maiden, dodging hypnotic patterns of magical bullets. I got quite good at it, and used to trade video recordings of my spellcard attempts with other players on message boards, long before the likes of Twitch.

Hypersports in the arcade. I'd need to make sure the buttons are nice and sensitive and the game is set to a single round of events. Back in the day I could hit multiple consecutive secret mole bonuses on the pole vault for 8000pt bonuses each time. Might have a weak spot on the archery, only ever got the perfect score of 8 bullseyes once, raised my hands to cheer and missed a bonus apple. 

On my day and with a prevailing wind in counterstrike 1.3 - 1.6 I’d fancy my chances against most... I do however recall playing a pro team when we were playing leagues on Blue Yonder et al and they rinsed us and were so good I don’t think they were even trying!

Snes Mario kart, I mean I can only think of @starlswho was invincible at one point but I got to beat him a few times - had a few fastest times on the forum TT back in the day...

The only game I was ever genuinely pretty good at was F-Zero GX. I completed all cups on Master difficulty just using the standard Blue Falcon (hence the username), which needless to say was pretty hard. So I reckon I could beat most people - although I remember back when we did time trials on the old gamesradar forums there were a few even better than me, so it’s by no means a given.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

Whichever version of Pro Evolution Soccer was out when Greece won the euros.  No-one could fucking touch me on that version. But it would have to be me at that time. I'm no good now.

Pah, get in line son. ;)

14 hours ago, JoeK said:

Only single player, but long forgotten arcade racer ‘Rad Mobile’

The only arcade game I could complete with a single coin, and the only time I had an audience watch me (and give me a little clap) when I beat it. 

Shitty old game really, but it’s a nice memory to have I guess.

Was this properly or driving through the brown panels for the warp points? 

Taiko no Tatsujin Drum 'n' Fun - Natsumatsuri by Whiteberry.

Probably spent 99.9% of my time with that one track. I played it for hours and hours during the start of the first lockdown until I got a true Perfect run. Genuine breakdown tier gaming memory. My wife was really worried but when I made her watch the footage on my YouTube channel, I'm sure she'd agree that it was all worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I would destroy you! :D

Ha!

I beat the European champion on multiple occasions and was invited to the British finals and World finals. And I had to pass on going (the guy who won the £50k prize, the biggest gaming prize in history at the time, I never lost to him. He also stayed in the same scheme as me!) 

You would beat me now though. Not played PES in over a decade. :)

Also... Didn't I destroy you back in the BxB days? ;)

Nothing, I reckon most people kill death stats gradually climbs the more they play, mine just stays 0.9 to 1.1 and that’s going back 15 years online, FIFA I probably win 33-40% online, Mario Kart mostly finish 4th to 8th played it for years, just alright and never get better or worse