Retro Gamer - 215 (Neo Geo Special)

Special Reserve - now that's a blast from the past. Because they only have a few stores they always seemed so mythical. Never bought anything from them, mind.

@strider As that has made me think, have you ever considered an article on the old game club things, where you got an introductory offer of some cheap new games but had to buy at least a game a month thereafter? Can't recall what it was called, but I remember they always pushed the Freescape games quite heavily (I remember Driller and Total Eclipse). Wonder if there's an interesting story there?

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Special Reserve - now that's a blast from the past. Because they only have a few stores they always seemed so mythical. Never bought anything from them, mind.

@strider As that has made me think, have you ever considered an article on the old game club things, where you got an introductory offer of some cheap new games but had to buy at least a game a month thereafter? Can't recall what it was called, but I remember they always pushed the Freescape games quite heavily (I remember Driller and Total Eclipse). Wonder if there's an interesting story there?

We've mentioned them briefly as they came up in a company profile once.

I actually remember getting quite heavily in debt with them (£14 seemed like a lot of money in 1988).

I'lll have a word with Graeme Mason as I'm sure he's the person who did the archives article that mentioned it.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Used to use the one in Sawbridgeworth regularly as a walk in customer . As games stores go it was amazing at the time. 

3 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Used to use the one in Sawbridgeworth regularly as a walk in customer . As games stores go it was amazing at the time. 

I moved to the area during its twilight years and enjoyed a few visits to the mill. 

Special reserve in Upminster was an odd place. It had that new office type smell, was a large shop that whilst filled almost felt like the hilights of each console. You then had the prices which were too high without the card but maybe only slightly cheaper than elsewhere with it. The collection of games and consoles was odd with it almost feeling like a pc focused store that happened to sell a lot of console games. I quite liked it but it always felt a bit bland as a store compared to GAME or the local indies.

Upminster is also an odd place for it because it’s a bit of a posh high street but far away from Romford or most other retail areas.

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

have you ever considered an article on the old game club things,

As a member of the Firebird one, I'd really love to see the old newsletters if you have more than just those printed in the magazine!

11 hours ago, Gabe said:

I thiNk I spotted my membership card in a box of gaming junk. Probably threw it away when I found it...

On 24/12/2020 at 10:28, strider said:

This is out on the 29th making it the last issue of a challenging year.

I wanted to take this opportunity to give a big thanks to everyone who has supported us throughout 2020, whether it was taking out a subscription or picking up a copy down the shops. It really has helped us.

8766093_Screenshot2020-12-24at10_28_00.png.25e705d5d920db3deb063f81a8b42f18.png

Anyway, here's what's inside.

The Future Is Now: Inside The Neo Geo

The Evolution Of: Wizball

The Making Of: Enter The Matrix

Retro Revival: Space Panic

Ultimate Guide: The Simpsons

The History Of: Seymour

The Making Of Utopia

Classic Moments: Project Firestart

Peripheral Vision: 5200 Controller

Retro Inspired: Blazing Rangers

Retro Revival: Fantasy Zone Gear

The Story Of: Special Reserve

Lost In Translation

The Making Of: Alfred Chicken

So You Want To Collect… N64 Exclusives

Retro Revival: Panzer Dragoon Saga

Hardware Heaven: PC Engine SuperGrafx

Future Classic: God Of War (2018)

The Making Of Sabre Wulf (the GBA one before you start wetting yourselves with excitement)

In The Chair: Jon Dean

Retro Revival: Action Man: Robot Atak

Reviewed -

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros

Dragon's Lair X Replicade

Missile Commander

Dirt Rally 5

Game Boy: The Box Art Collection

Just wanted to say the neo Geo article is brilliant. I really think it's an improvement that the magazine has moved to talking about some of the technical details and getting developer opinions. Those are things I can't get else where.

Happy Xmas.

54 minutes ago, bplus said:

Just wanted to say the neo Geo article is brilliant. I really think it's an improvement that the magazine has moved to talking about some of the technical details and getting developer opinions. Those are things I can't get else where.

Happy Xmas.

Glad you enjoyed it.

It’s always challenging finding new ways to revisit articles but I’m happy with this new angle. Japanese devs can be hard to access so you never turn down opportunities to cover them.

5 hours ago, strider said:

Glad you enjoyed it.

It’s always challenging finding new ways to revisit articles but I’m happy with this new angle. Japanese devs can be hard to access so you never turn down opportunities to cover them.

Just realised what I said sounded a bit blunt. It really is great. The mag is great, I just think it's got better. Thanks for putting it together (every month) :)

28 minutes ago, bplus said:

Just realised what I said sounded a bit blunt. It really is great. The mag is great, I just think it's got better. Thanks for putting it together (every month) :)

Not blunt at all.

I agree it has transformed massively since I took over on issue 19.

No offence taken.

2 hours ago, strider said:

Not blunt at all.

I agree it has transformed massively since I took over on issue 19.

No offence taken.

Ha! Good! (Yeah I tried reading it prior to issue 19, it was a bit grim or very serious or something :) )

On 24/12/2020 at 10:28, strider said:

This is out on the 29th making it the last issue of a challenging year.

I wanted to take this opportunity to give a big thanks to everyone who has supported us throughout 2020, whether it was taking out a subscription or picking up a copy down the shops. It really has helped us.

8766093_Screenshot2020-12-24at10_28_00.png.25e705d5d920db3deb063f81a8b42f18.png

Anyway, here's what's inside.

The Future Is Now: Inside The Neo Geo

The Evolution Of: Wizball

The Making Of: Enter The Matrix

Retro Revival: Space Panic

Ultimate Guide: The Simpsons

The History Of: Seymour

The Making Of Utopia

Classic Moments: Project Firestart

Peripheral Vision: 5200 Controller

Retro Inspired: Blazing Rangers

Retro Revival: Fantasy Zone Gear

The Story Of: Special Reserve

Lost In Translation

The Making Of: Alfred Chicken

So You Want To Collect… N64 Exclusives

Retro Revival: Panzer Dragoon Saga

Hardware Heaven: PC Engine SuperGrafx

Future Classic: God Of War (2018)

The Making Of Sabre Wulf (the GBA one before you start wetting yourselves with excitement)

In The Chair: Jon Dean

Retro Revival: Action Man: Robot Atak

Reviewed -

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros

Dragon's Lair X Replicade

Missile Commander

Dirt Rally 5

Game Boy: The Box Art Collection

bought!

On 24/12/2020 at 12:44, strider said:

We've mentioned them briefly as they came up in a company profile once.

I actually remember getting quite heavily in debt with them (£14 seemed like a lot of money in 1988).

I'lll have a word with Graeme Mason as I'm sure he's the person who did the archives article that mentioned it.

I have a contact indeed but they went quiet. I shall try again in the new year! 

On 24/12/2020 at 21:47, Ketchup said:

Special reserve in Upminster was an odd place. It had that new office type smell, was a large shop that whilst filled almost felt like the hilights of each console. You then had the prices which were too high without the card but maybe only slightly cheaper than elsewhere with it. The collection of games and consoles was odd with it almost feeling like a pc focused store that happened to sell a lot of console games. I quite liked it but it always felt a bit bland as a store compared to GAME or the local indies.

Upminster is also an odd place for it because it’s a bit of a posh high street but far away from Romford or most other retail areas.

I guess you've not been to upminster for a while. It's dead as a high street these days, coffee shops and restaurants sadly.

On 24/12/2020 at 11:31, Gabe said:

The home computer club, an off shoot of a similar venture which offered books. Incentive software had a close relationship with them as they had high value releases such as driller and graphic adventure creator which always went down well as game of the month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...