Delta's Shadow - Spectrum 128k / Next - Available On Christmas Day

Well, tis the season to be Speccy! One of the highest profile home-brew releases for the Spectrum 128k & Next, has been confirmed for release this Christmas Day! The plan is to have a bit of release party via YouTube (at the link above) at 16:00 GMT, immediately after which, the game will be available in both digital and physical editions for both vanilla Spectrum and Next formats.

The game itself is a remake of the Taito developed NES game, Powerblade 3 and is being developed by veteran Speccy coder, Nikitin Oleg and his team, who have previously delivered the outstanding Aliens: Neoplasma .

Strangely enough, nearly all of the previously uploaded videos for the game have vanished, so here are some screenshots. It looks like a really slick 2D action platformer, with plenty of twists in the form of suit upgrades and impressive 3D driving sections:

main_2x.thumb.png.5a873d527b76d34098d0d13bf8df8f7c.png

deltashadow.jpg.1a1e09c838cb63ffd3e733653a43acf6.jpg

oFzKwlnNMCI.jpg.94a6cb0d62ee250824ecc35afc3a4a92.jpg

PowerBlade.jpg.6cfee13f0700c355d61ae779ac08eecd.jpg

1437988429_PowerBlade.jpg.99107cb516082150f890996f6669737e.jpg

With this and the recent Dizzy release, it really is fantastic to be part of this thriving community of Speccy enthusiasts. I think this year is going to feel more like being 14 than 40, hahaha.

Think I'm going going to buy the physical Next version of this. Isn't it an unofficial sequel though rather than a remake? 

The first Power Blade game is excellent (a given really as it's a Natsume creation) and one of very few NES games I've actually completed.

4 minutes ago, Camel said:

Think I'm going going to buy the physical Next version of this. Isn't it an unofficial sequel though rather than a remake

The first Power Blade game is excellent (a given really as it's a Natsume creation) and one of very few NES games I've actually completed.

Oh you could be right, I couldn't find any specific statements, I just saw the NES game of the same name and assumed it was the same thing. Yeah, totally getting the Next physical release too, I hope they do a bundle as I'd love to see both vanilla and Next versions.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Ordered the physical release. It's a bit on the expensive side, but includes both Next and ZX versions, including download versions so can be played immediately.

How did you manage to pay for it? Every time I try with Paypal I get this warning:

1135970547_Screenshot2020-12-25at17_19_35.thumb.png.e9b9605f768bd754c9fb72dcae91677e.png

Their contact form gives me an error now. gah, I've messaged them via Facebook, I do hope we can get this resolved I've been looking forward to playing it all day.

Looks like it was a problem with Belgian PayPal accounts. Spoke to the guy though and it's all sorted and paid for. :)

Only thing is... I've got access to the digital edition now and it's not quite as straightforward forward as loading it up on Spectaulator (my emulator of choice on Android) and just getting started is it!

To run "Delta's shadow" on classic 128k Spectrum and clones, you need a Divmmc device with ESX-Dos installed or any other hardware which can run TRD files.
In case of using Divmmc, the TRD file with the game must be copied to your SD card with ESX-dos.
--------------------------------------------
When running on the emulator, do not forget to enable writing to the floppy disk, otherwise the game will not work!

So yeah... that's a bit of a blow. Are there any Android options that could run it do you know?

It does doesn't it. My only problem is because of how I've had to set my Next up, I'm reliant on using an 8bitdo Bluetooth transmitter and a Wiimote to play games with.

Sadly, only the directional as well as the jump and suit change buttons are being mapped, for the life of me I can't get the actual fire button to work.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? For those who are using some sort of controller solution, what is it? Thanks.

In the Next's system options, you can decide whether the Next's virtual interface is Kempston, Sinclair, Cursor or whatever. You can also set it to expect a Mega Drive pad. Try that.

Cant test it myself as I'm nowhere near my Next currently.

9 minutes ago, Camel said:

In the Next's system options, you can decide whether the Next's virtual interface is Kempston, Sinclair, Cursor or whatever. You can also set it to expect a Mega Drive pad. Try that.

Cant test it myself as I'm nowhere near my Next currently.

Brilliant, thanks again. 

Got it working. Changed the config file, linked up my Wiimote and connected that to the classic controller and it works like a dream. I've put two hours into it so far and it really is just on another level to all the previously released Next software. It's outrageously cheap at £5 per download. The game is a really slick 2D action platformer, which really opens up when you start switching suits and the one boss battle I've had so far was suitably intense. There's boss music, title music and each level even has it's own tune and having the ability to switch between classic and Next graphics and audio really does show that this team wanted to dot every "i" and cross every "t" before shipping. Looking forward to getting back to it.

I've got a bigger problem; I can't download the game. Bought the physical version which is supposed to come with the digital version included, but when I look at the downloads page under my account there is nothing there. My email confirmation tells me I bought it 'for someone else' :D No idea what that means. Guess I'll contact them.

Managed to get this sorted by contacting the author on FB ^

@Robo_1 you don't have to edit config files to change joystick input in your Next. From the Next's main menu, hit the yellow button on the side, then Settings > Joysticks.

IMG_9977.thumb.JPG.00b6a03ad7d50907d00bc9e1ac35cb91.JPG

Excuse the crap picture of my TV.