Christmas Gaming 2020

For reasons that people don't need to be reminded of, most of us this Christmas are going to have a bit more time on our hands than we're perhaps used to at this point in the year.  While crap, this does have the hidden benefit of giving us more of an opportunity to play games (as well as meaning that we don't have to spend quite as much time with our in-laws). So, what are you going to be sampling over the festive period?

I'm lucky enough to be able to see some of my family on Christmas day, so we're going to be busting out the Switch party game carousel with a little bit of Heave Ho!, Mario Kart 8, Overcooked and newcomer Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. I'm also going to be getting the Quest 2 out so we can have a dabble on Beat Saber. By myself, I've been recently been enjoying evenings spent flicking between Forza Horizon 4Dead Space and Hades for about half an hour at a time each, normally while sipping on some port and eating chocolate, as the season demands. It's all good.

What about you?

If I end up with a second DualSense on Christmas I'll definitely download Overcooked on PS5 and play that with my wife. A spot of 51 Worldwide Games on Switch too I'm sure.

I'd like to finally make a start on Obra Dinn as well. Oh, and finish Hitman 2016 and its sequel in anticipation of the new one.

Having recently boxed off Demon Souls (and shortly - possibly tonight - Squadrons and Call of the Sea) I am leaving a space clear to play Ghost of Tsushima (which I will hopefully be getting as a gift). If not I also have Horizon: Zero Dawn, Hollow Knight, Uncharted 4 and Cyberpunk all sat there ready to go.

Weirdly both my Mum and my father-in-law have both independently asked for me to do a whistle stop tour of modern gaming as they haven’t really seen anything since the Megadrive era and are interested to see how it’s changed after seeing some of the next gen marketing.

However the main focus is going to be on my 4 (nearly 5) year old lad who has under the tree his own controller and a copy of Lego City Undercover as his first ever gaming present. I’m also going to buy Sonic Mania in the sales (£8 on both PS4/5 and Xbox) for us to play together as he has recently got into the Sonic Boom cartoon and the original games were my absolute favourites as a kid.

Still have All of 3, 5 and last part of 1 to do on Demon's Souls, so savouring that and will hopefully get round to Astrobot VR and RE2 remake. Like a Dragon has also caught my interest as I like the sound of the turn-based stuff.

Just bought the Fortune Island DLC for FH4 to keep me busy as I can't see my kids til the 29th due to stupid covid. I'm hoping it'll cheer me up a bit.

When they're finally back with me, they have a Switch to unwrap - and they have no idea they're getting one. Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 from me, and I think my folks have bought them Mario Party.

This is going to be a shorter Christmas break than usual for me (back in work Tuesday), so won't have all that much time for relaxing christmas gaming, despite the unusual lack of family/friends. Still, hoping to spend a chunk of it in front of a games device of some sort.

Christmas presents (not least Steam secret santa) will likely influence me here, but depending on how I feel I'm considering one or several of:

• returning to Demon's Souls and seeing if I can push on some
  • dusting off the 3DS and committing to one of its dungeon crawlers - either SMT IV, or one of the Personae Q
  • loading up my years old save and pushing on with Persona 3: FES
  • going back through Streets of Rage 4 on Switch now that my copy has finally arrived (literally this morning, just in time!)
  • booting up Soul Calibur VI and spending far too long playing with the character creator
  • finishing The Pathless
  • picking up Resonance of Fate (again) and actually finishing it this time

So, a lot of potential revisiting in my future!

Just picked up Super Meat Boy Forever and expect to get well stuck into that over the coming days. I've also recently had a real hankering to play Civilisation so I've got my eye on picking up VI in a Boxing Day sale somewhere. Reckon they'll compliment each other nicely. :)

Having cancelled our Christmas travel we’ve nevertheless been fortunate enough to be able to post out, and conversely receive, the gifts we would have otherwise exchanged in person with my family.

Anyway, one of those gifts is conspicuously Switch box-shaped, so I’m hoping it’s Pikmin3. 

remote play fall guys, on the PS4, so the TVs stay off while the other half does the WFH thing for the last day before xmas.

and I just added crysis to my xbox one x to play after she goes to bed.

Then I FULLY intend to spend some serious time with Mass Effect 3 and ME:Andromeda over the next 10 days or so.

Honestly.

I broke up for work on Friday so I cracked open my PS5 and have been hammering that since then. I don't think I've had such interrupted solo gaming time for such a stint like this before. Currently self isolating so I've been playing Miles Morales, DIRT5, Astro Bot, FIFA21 and Cold War on its freeplay week. It's been great. 

Immortals Fenix Rising and Cyberpunk will likely be the cornerstones of my Christmas gaming. And possibly Gears 5 as a co-op option with my mate. 

There is also a heap of stuff that’s hit Game Pass recently, plus anything that tickles my fancy that Epic give away. Basically spoilt for choice. 

AC Valhalla on Series X, as I'm getting it for Xmas. It's already installed on the console ready to go too, which is a great little feature that Microsoft have added, eliminating the need to wait for it to install from the disc on the day. 

I do enjoy a sumptuously expansive open-world romp at the best of times and rampaging around a 9th Century England gone to shit, caving in the skulls of puffed-up toffs and self-proclaimed Kings seems as if it'll be an almost topical, fitting and cathartic end to this horrific year.

It's received its first big patch too so should be a better experience than it was at launch. I'm looking forward to losing myself in its wilds completely, as the series has a good track record of getting its hooks into me good and proper and I've really enjoyed the direction it's taken since Origins. 

Probably a bit of Forza Horizon 4 too, as that's been a pretty much daily fixture since I got the console.