Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

I really like the look of that. Where do we sign!? 

It's called the joker lap from wrx and has been used forever till they got themselves in a total mess about PSU's and fucked the sport over.

Bring back gravel traps, you see these 'professionals' doing this lap after lap yet if I even looked at a kerb like that in GT Sport I'd get spanked with a time penalty so hard they'd still be pulling my flamed backside out of the armco in a Grosjean stylee.

F1 would have to stop bleeding circuits dry for that to happen. The reason for all the run off areas is because people taking part in track days that pay the bills at these circuits don’t want to damage their car or empty a load of gravel out of it when they go wide.

39 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

DC only spoke when prompted to by the commentator. It’s a shame, think Channel 4 have messed up by not having him as the co-comentator. Nothing against Billy Monger but he is young and I would prefer the co-commentator to be the one with the F1 experience, like a DC / Martin Brundle.

The cost of adding the F1 channel to my Virgin bundle is just too expensive so hopefully I will get familiar with the new set up. Ben Edwards and DC was a nice combo.

Agreed. Seems absolutely barmy to me to have a co-commentator who has never raced in F1.

2 hours ago, layten said:

Horner seems particularly salty about the track limits thing today.

Excellent. :lol: 

Max was told about Lewis exceeding track limits there and to do the same if he wished. Then later they were all told not to by the stewards before Max overtook off track.

3 hours ago, marsh said:

It's called the joker lap from wrx and has been used forever till they got themselves in a total mess about PSU's and fucked the sport over.

Bring back gravel traps, you see these 'professionals' doing this lap after lap yet if I even looked at a kerb like that in GT Sport I'd get spanked with a time penalty so hard they'd still be pulling my flamed backside out of the armco in a Grosjean stylee.

The joker lap is a little bit different since everyone does that x times whereas this is a penalty but yeah, let's take advantage of gigantic tarmac run offs and do it.

Looking at Bahrain by Satellite, turns 9/10 would be a great place here.

As it turns out, according to multiple drivers, the drivers were told that there would be no enforcement of track limits during the race. It explains Lewis's radio messages, and I guess Red Bull might have just been shit stirring as usual, or they genuinely didn't have the same understanding of the rules.

The BBC team picked up on it mid-race, but no one on the Sky commentary team seemed to know this as far as I remember. So you still have the commentators and the vast majority of the fans not even knowing the rules during the race. It's so damn easy to solve as well. And doesn't need to be anywhere near this complicated and confused.

Also, this then begs the question of why they seemingly change their minds and instructed Hamilton to stop doing it mid-race? And why have different rules during Practice 2/3 and Qualifying to the race?

Again, hardly surprising at this point. But so frustrating.

I’ve no idea why you wouldn’t have rules about going outside the track limits, seems bonkers. moto gp have been doing it for ages and it works pretty well most of the time. There has to be some punishment, and I don’t see gravel traps coming back, although it would be awesome to see them coping with real repercussions of making mistakes.

I’m sure that Sky made multiple references to track limits enforcement through the weekend didn’t they? I’m also fairly certain that drivers had laps disallowed during practice due to infringements on the same corner. They even showed the FIA video with the safety car demonstrating what an infringement looked like and I’m sure that was T4 as well.

This is an interesting thread on the track limits 

TLDR: Everyone was going over but Hamilton was going further beyond the kerb than everyone else which is why he was told to stop.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

This is an interesting thread on the track limits 

TLDR: Everyone was going over but Hamilton was going further beyond the kerb than everyone else which is why he was told to stop.

Reminds me of indycar at COTA... If it isn't being enforced then this is what you get...

Just kerb the fucker, run wide, goodbye undertray. Means the track day plebs might only end up with a puncture instead of having to drag your grannies clio out of the kitty litter.

On 28/03/2021 at 18:02, kiroquai said:

Interesting that Lando bossed Danny Ric. Maybe the latter had floor damage from the tap with Gasly early on.

McLaren have just confirmed that this was the case :hat:

Working my way through S3 of Drive to Survive and am just getting a bit perplexed at the timelines and plotting of the episodes. 

We jump about the season from episode to episode which as someone who followed the season as it happened I find a bit disconcerting and some events are just not covered at all. Like the Silverstone race the punctures for Bottas and Sainz were covered but no word of the gripping final lap tyre blowout for Hamilton. 

I get they are trying to show us something different from the big events we saw at the time but I guess I am just not getting on with the focus on one team per race way of presenting things. 

It is probably much better for non fans, but as a fan I'd like to have seen some of the behind the scenes reaction from the teams from Hamilton's last lap 3 tyre dash to the line.

In some ways it looks like the series has a decent budget behind it but sometimes I can almost see the stitching becoming a bit frayed and that they may have just had one interview with each driver at some point which has to fit whatever context they are then presenting for that episode. 

I still enjoy it, just not sure I love the way it is all cut together. 

So the ad breaks that we got between Q1, Q2 & Q3 on Quali look like they are now here to stay on Sky. Damn shame. Cut the content between them and almost double the cost of the subscription. Nice one Sky.

image.png

32 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Working my way through S3 of Drive to Survive and am just getting a bit perplexed at the timelines and plotting of the episodes. 

We jump about the season from episode to episode which as someone who followed the season as it happened I find a bit disconcerting and some events are just not covered at all. Like the Silverstone race the punctures for Bottas and Sainz were covered but no word of the gripping final lap tyre blowout for Hamilton. 

I get they are trying to show us something different from the big events we saw at the time but I guess I am just not getting on with the focus on one team per race way of presenting things. 

It is probably much better for non fans, but as a fan I'd like to have seen some of the behind the scenes reaction from the teams from Hamilton's last lap 3 tyre dash to the line.

In some ways it looks like the series has a decent budget behind it but sometimes I can almost see the stitching becoming a bit frayed and that they may have just had one interview with each driver at some point which has to fit whatever context they are then presenting for that episode. 

I still enjoy it, just not sure I love the way it is all cut together. 

It's just the HAAS show really. I do really enjoy DTS, but some of the stuff they omitted was just bizzare this year. And the amount of time they spend with HAAS every year is nuts. I wonder if the team allow more access to try and get the brand out onto more eyes since you don't see it in the race.

And within two races it won’t matter. We’ve been through bitching about wide front wings, narrow rear wings, halos, etc etc. It all disappears on the track so who cares.

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

And within two races it won’t matter. We’ve been through bitching about wide front wings, narrow rear wings, halos, etc etc. It all disappears on the track so who cares.

Of course you get used to it, but it doesn’t mean you like it. 

I like well proportioned, aesthetically pleasing F1 cars. When they look shit of course I still watch the racing but I’d still prefer them to look good.

The halo still looks shit, but I’ve got used to it. I’d like them to iterate on the design and make it look less shit.

The moment Gosjean kept from a burning car buried halfway into a barrier, that's never going to happen. Halos are here to stay. 

Don't forget, we could have those monstrosities they have on the indy cars. It's like a green house strapped to the front of the cars 

18 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Quicker than that possibly, I literally didn't realise what had changed in the picture until I read the next post.

8 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

The moment Gosjean kept from a burning car buried halfway into a barrier, that's never going to happen. Halos are here to stay. 

Don't forget, we could have those monstrosities they have on the indy cars. It's like a green house strapped to the front of the cars 

For sure a head protection like the Halo will be mandatory. But it will evolve. It won't look like it does today in 5 years because they will continue to do research, which leads to iteration on the design, materials and contruction. 

The Halo should be properly integrated into the design of the 2022 cars which should help make the cars look better. Currently it’s just been bolted onto the chassis of cars that weren’t designed for it as an afterthought

On 30/03/2021 at 19:35, mexos said:

Of course you get used to it, but it doesn’t mean you like it. 

I like well proportioned, aesthetically pleasing F1 cars. When they look shit of course I still watch the racing but I’d still prefer them to look good.

The halo still looks shit, but I’ve got used to it. I’d like them to iterate on the design and make it look less shit.

Unfortunately the car buying public is convinced that large expensive wheels with skinny uncomfortable tyres are cool. Don't get me started on the amount of plastic fake vents and diffusers. :rolleyes:

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round