Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round

You can debate consistency in policing limits and the advantages gained but actually passing off track is known to be a hard no, in fact I don’t remember hearing Max complain about his move being deemed illegal, just that he thought it would have been better to have stay ahead and build up a gap bigger than the penalty (which I’m not sure he could have done)

The enforcement of track limits generally is so confusing and a bit of an embarrassment for the sport. Last year we had multiple instances where limits changed during the weekend, either added because it was clearly stupid or removed because cry baby drivers whinged about it. Same this weekend. It wasn’t a thing at the start of the weekend and added either during or after Friday.

Stay in the lines plus curbs or face a penalty. If the sector/segment is better than your average then you have gained an advantage by leaving the track.

The super cut you’ve all been waiting for.

Although if Red Bull hadn’t complained I doubt he’d have been told to stop and the drivers had been told track limits wouldn’t be enforced during the race. Thankfully it’s tedious Imola next where you can’t overtake anyway even if you do abuse track limits because it’s a narrow old school track.

You must have at least one wheel inside the white lines when overtaking. I really don’t understand why people are having such a hard time with this. Yes they should have been stopping people running people wide every lap and gaining a tenth or two but they are not the same thing. One is clearly written in the regulations and understood by every driver and the other is governed on a race by race corner by corner basis. 

20 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

You must have at least one wheel inside the white lines when overtaking. I really don’t understand why people are having such a hard time with this. Yes they should have been stopping people running people wide every lap and gaining a tenth or two but they are not the same thing. One is clearly written in the regulations and understood by every driver and the other is governed on a race by race corner by corner basis. 

Its the stewards that are having a hard time with it. It looked like Hamilton was leaving the track at T4 for about 20 laps before the stewards warned that they would start issuing penalties (B+W flags followed by time penalties). That wouldn't happen if it was indeed clear and not just governed on a Race/Qualy/Practice/Corner2Corner basis.

I'd suggest simplifying it to a rule stating that they must keep at least 1 wheel within the white lines at all times. There is no reason to sometimes let them do it.

24 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Its the stewards that are having a hard time with it. It looked like Hamilton was leaving the track at T4 for about 20 laps before the stewards warned that they would start issuing penalties (B+W flags followed by time penalties). That wouldn't happen if it was indeed clear and not just governed on a Race/Qualy/Practice/Corner2Corner basis.

I'd suggest simplifying it to a rule stating that they must keep at least 1 wheel within the white lines at all times. There is no reason to sometimes let them do it.

Yeah I’m in total agreement with you there. The same rules they have now (4th time is a black and white flag, 5th time is a 5 second penalty) but for the entirety of the circuit. Not just the corners where ‘the Stewards think you’d get an advantage from running wide. 

I’m not sure has an issue directly with Max having to cede the position fine. It’s simply highlighting how a multi million/billion dollar snd very high tech sport is completely incapable of doing even very simple and obvious things like policing the limits of the track.

Anyway. Great race and looking like it could be a classic season. Not just between the top two but throughout much of the grid.

I think it was Daniel Ricciardo who’s said in the past “put a wall there and they won’t go off the track”. If that’s too dangerous put some gravel or a children’s ball pit outside the lines instead. 

Just watched the channel 4 highlights. Urgh, not enjoying the commentator at all and looks like DC, who I think is excellent, has been relegated to No. 3 in the commentary box. Hardly gets a look in.

Very impressed with Tsunodo, nice 9th place finish on his debut. Quality drive by Perez too back up the field. Thought Max had it but fair play to Hamilton.

5 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

Just watched the channel 4 highlights. Urgh, not enjoying the commentator at all and looks like DC, who I think is excellent, has been relegated to No. 3 in the commentary box. Hardly gets a look in.

I feel your pain with Alex Jacques. I’ve had to endure him for years in F3 and F2. His style is like a parody / pastiche of stereotyped 80s motoring journalists. Although he is actually a lovely bloke and so eventually I learned to accept his style. I wish I could do the same with Alex Brundle.

Billy Mongers problem is that he worships Hamilton too much.

Great race all round, action everywhere.

Felt Vettel was doing alright, loved his battle on old tyres with Alonso, then he drives into the wrong Alpine

Results of week one in the championship. I'll take that early lead. (I'll expect to drop hard next race!)

#1 Tracing Point
#2 Mabawsa Racing
#3 Ferrariroquai
#4 Peter Team 1
#5 Alfarelli Minelli
#6 Danny Ric's Right Foot
#7 Ed Team 1
#8 AlT Super Team
#9 Pink Mercedes
#10 We Say No to Mazepin
#11 Papaya Maldonado
#12 TEAM MEX SP WDC 2021 MEX MEX MEX
#13 A Stroll In The Park
#14 Flow VIz
#15 Scuderia Corranga
#16 LowCostMonkey Racing
#17 il_postino
#18 Pogo Racing
#18 Footling 1
#20 ADC 7UP
#21 Wevverari
#22 What's Verstappenin'
#23 Scuderia Sidewaysbob
#24Junior Mint
#25 jonathanhoey1981
#26 Team Blue
#27 Formula Fondue
#28 Scuderia Rosso
#29 Sir Box-a-Lot

11 hours ago, Wallace said:

There's kinda 2 things here.

1 - Are the current rules clear?  Yes pretty much, they say "sustained adventage" which basically means they only apply for overtaking and repeat offences, it's clear.

2 - Are the current rules sensible? No, not they're not, race the goddamn track.  I agree with you, MotoGP has the mechanism to solve this, let's steal it.

10 hours ago, wev said:

Billy Mongers problem is that he worships Hamilton too much.

I've not heard him commentate anything other than a sim race but I think this is understandable given his age, hopefully it's something that with experience he'll get over in a professional setting. You do have to take into account Lewis Hamilton made his Grand Prix weekend debut when Billy was an motorsport obsessed 6 year old.

31 minutes ago, Dudley said:

There's kinda 2 things here.

1 - Are the current rules clear?  Yes pretty much, they say "sustained adventage" which basically means they only apply for overtaking and repeat offences, it's clear.

If the rules clearly define what a sustained advantage is ie. Leaving the track at the point of overtaking the car in front, then yes it is, otherwise its just another grey area decided case by case where one driver will say "I had nowhere else to go, they pushed me wide" and the other will say "they went off track and gained an advantage" 

Is doing it for 20 odd laps in a row which contributes to you being able to undercut the car in front at the pit stops a sustained advantage, or is it just when you use it during an actual overtake manoeuvre? (I know it wasn't just Hamilton going off the track, so think of it in a hypothetical sense that one car leaves the track every lap and the other car doesn't) 

What do they have in MotoGP? I don't really follow the sport. If it works then F1 should just use it as well... 

MotoGP doesn't quite have the same track limits issues specifically because they tend to favour tracks with gravel.

But in terms of penalties they have this.

image.thumb.png.14d52b21e0e2b94e853a82e0fdffcef7.png

For minor transgressions (and I'd class 4 wheels off the track as such), you simply pass through that instead of the track one lap, in reality it costs 3-5 seconds.

So make it not a debate, sensors, 4 wheels off? Do that. don't care why, if someone forced you then they can be given the same or have to do it twice.  If this was 1990 you'd be out of the race buried in sand so shut the fuck up.

12 hours ago, djbhammer said:

Very impressed with Tsunodo, nice 9th place finish on his debut. Quality drive by Perez too back up the field. Thought Max had it but fair play to Hamilton.

Oh dear. I'm lucky/foolish to have Sky F1 but DC was the only aspect I really missed from C4/BBC and it seems crazy to relegate him to third. How do they even work with three commentators? Selfishly, I hope he joins Sky next year but think that's unlikely as doesn't he co-own the production company C4 uses for the races? 

3 minutes ago, layten said:

Horner seems particularly salty about the track limits thing today.

Excellent. :lol: 

Master Troll is brilliant, I love it.

22 minutes ago, Dudley said:

MotoGP doesn't quite have the same track limits issues specifically because they tend to favour tracks with gravel.

But in terms of penalties they have this.

image.thumb.png.14d52b21e0e2b94e853a82e0fdffcef7.png

For minor transgressions (and I'd class 4 wheels off the track as such), you simply pass through that instead of the track one lap, in reality it costs 3-5 seconds.

So make it not a debate, sensors, 4 wheels off? Do that. don't care why, if someone forced you then they can be given the same or have to do it twice.  If this was 1990 you'd be out of the race buried in sand so shut the fuck up.

I really like the look of that. Where do we sign!? 

2 hours ago, layten said:

Horner seems particularly salty about the track limits thing today.

Excellent. :lol: 

Although I don't blame him. I get that overtaking off the track is a big no no, but Hamilton went wide out there 29 times. He wouldn't do it if it wasn't faster, so over those 29 laps he's probably gained a couple of seconds. That could have been the difference between winning the race or not. 

57 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Oh dear. I'm lucky/foolish to have Sky F1 but DC was the only aspect I really missed from C4/BBC and it seems crazy to relegate him to third. How do they even work with three commentators? Selfishly, I hope he joins Sky next year but think that's unlikely as doesn't he co-own the production company C4 uses for the races? 

DC only spoke when prompted to by the commentator. It’s a shame, think Channel 4 have messed up by not having him as the co-comentator. Nothing against Billy Monger but he is young and I would prefer the co-commentator to be the one with the F1 experience, like a DC / Martin Brundle.

The cost of adding the F1 channel to my Virgin bundle is just too expensive so hopefully I will get familiar with the new set up. Ben Edwards and DC was a nice combo.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round