Formula One 2021 - Suspected crashing out problems

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

On a sliding scale of who I’d like to boot out of F1 Kimi is at the top. Alonso at least has some fight in him, Kimi’s just doing it as a hobby.

Who does he have dirt on? Who is he blackmailing? It is the only logical explanation.  :blah:

56 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I’d rather have Alonso back in F1 than some teenagers who are too old and burned out by the time they’re 20 as per current trends. 

What I wonder, and to be fair this is interest in the season is, DO we have Alonso back.

Or do we have 2010 Michael Schumacher?

Will Buxton saying that none of the images of the Red Bull shown so far are of this year's car and that he suspects there may be big changes from last year's car when it is finally revealed. Interestingly, in an interview a couple of days ago, I had the distinct impression that Horner seemed quietly optimistic regarding this year. Could this finally be the year when RB have something more competitive from day 1?

I know, I know.

So a missile and possibly a bomb filled drone intercepted in Riyadh today during the Formula E race:

Horrifying that races are hosted in some of these places. F1 race due there later this year too.

I watched the 'highlights' of that race today. Fucking awful would best describe it. You could use the Brands hatch Indy circuit, the short course at Fuji, anything other than this randomly generated track builder they clearly employ which is only two cars wide in an effort to spice up the action.

If merc stay in it for more than two years I'll be amazed.

1 hour ago, marsh said:

I watched the 'highlights' of that race today. Fucking awful would best describe it. You could use the Brands hatch Indy circuit, the short course at Fuji, anything other than this randomly generated track builder they clearly employ which is only two cars wide in an effort to spice up the action.

I also noticed that they were doing lots of work to try and make it look fast.

The nose cam 3cm from the floor. Lots of static cams where the cars wiz past at close range.

But then they need to zoom out a bit to show the actual racing and yeah.. the cars still look like toys. Slow moving toys.

Imo they should move to much bigger, more powerful cars so they can run on proper circuits and not look so slow. Make them more F1 sized so they also look more planted on the road and less like wobbly shopping trolleys. Turn up the wick on the motors, add more batteries and cut the race length if you have to. 

It’s always been a dress rehearsal for electric F1 (which is inevitable imo). So dump the karts with body kits and make a proper car.

Outside of Formula E, All this talk of an F1 sprint race is huge opportunity for electric. Run the sprint race with electric only, FIA spec PU. Then a drastically simplified ice / hybrid for the GP.

Battery tech will get there eventually, allowing F1 cars to do a full race distance in electric only.

58 minutes ago, mexos said:

The nose cam 3cm from the floor. Lots of static cams where the cars wiz past at close range.

But then they need to zoom out a bit to show the actual racing and yeah.. the cars still look like toys. Slow moving toys.

Imo they should move to much bigger, more powerful cars so they can run on proper circuits and not look so slow. Make them more F1 sized so they also look more planted on the road and less like wobbly shopping trolleys. Turn up the wick on the motors, add more batteries and cut the race length if you have to. 

They're pretty damn quick to be fair. They're tiny things with 300hp and maximum torque acceleration.

If anything they look slow because of the utterly featureless tracks.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

If anything they look slow because of the utterly featureless tracks.

There's a reason they could get away with staging the majority of 2020 season on the same runway, no one could tell the difference. It's a shame COVID robbed us the bonkers partially indoors ExCel track which would at least have been novel.

excel.jpg.cbecf20809f38a707df18756475d5053.jpg

Another view of the crash

27 minutes ago, ryodi said:

There's a reason they could get away with staging the majority of 2020 season on the same runway, no one could tell the difference. It's a shame COVID robbed us the bonkers partially indoors ExCel track which would at least have been novel.

Still happening this year isn't it?

5 hours ago, mexos said:

Outside of Formula E, All this talk of an F1 sprint race is huge opportunity for electric. Run the sprint race with electric only, FIA spec PU. Then a drastically simplified ice / hybrid for the GP.

giphy.gif.c066dbf75760840068681893cb02d3ee.gif

1 hour ago, Blue said:

giphy.gif.c066dbf75760840068681893cb02d3ee.gif

Ha!

I've made peace with the fact it’s going to happen far quicker than I thought. I gave it 10-15 years for full electric F1 but it’s probably going to be around half that. If they want manufacturers to stick around that is. Hell in 7-8 years how many of the manufacturers are going to be making ice powered cars at all?

6 hours ago, ryodi said:

Another view of the crash

That's very noble of Mitch Evans, though to be fair, from that camera it looks like he's the reason Lynn is sliding along on his helmet.

16 hours ago, marsh said:

I've not seen the highlights but both races were bloody brilliant. Loads of overtaking, battles all over the grid and proper edge of the seat stuff. It's a shame the second race ended the way it did as it was going to be a crazy end with the JEV and Da Costa but I'm glad Lynn is OK. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56233837

Formula 1 has declined an offer from Bahrain to vaccinate all personnel attending pre-season testing and the year's opening grand prix.

F1 is based in the UK - its head office is in London - and eight of the 10 teams are either situated in England or have part of their facilities there.

I might be crazy but I think F1 should be vaccinated.  A group of people travelling the world should absolutely get the vaccine ASAP.  I don't even care about the individuals themselves, I would just prefer they don't travel all over the world spreading whatever variants they encounter back to their original countries - which in most cases is the UK. 

Am actually surprised at the negativity towards FE in here, I decided to give it a go and thought it was pretty interesting. Actually watching cars race each other was refreshing after the last few years of F1. Yeah it's not at the same level but considering where it started a few years ago, it's impressive how far they've come. I dunno if I'll follow the whole season but considering it's far easier to watch than F1 and there's more going on, it doesn't feel like a massive time investment.

On 28/02/2021 at 15:18, mexos said:

It’s always been a dress rehearsal for electric F1 (which is inevitable imo). So dump the karts with body kits and make a proper car.

Battery tech will get there eventually, allowing F1 cars to do a full race distance in electric only.

A lot of the stuff you're suggesting is down to the scope and cost of FE. It's popular with manufacturers and teams because the cost of entry and development is far less with more potential in the future of this going somewhere. It's an open secret that F1 is a dead end without going fully electric and as far as I know FE still has exclusivity on that for a good while yet (unless of course they merge or come to a financial agreement but I doubt it).

I can't see FE stepping into F1's shoes while the money in it is orders of magnitude less. Maybe if the next generation of motorsport fans start to embrace it in bigger numbers you might start to see the levels of sponsorship needed to bring investment levels up but at the moment it's more a proof of concept sport than an attempt to be the pinnacle. And I think that's fine, y'know? It sounds silly to us and the tracks look weird (the bobsleigh bit was hilarious but I can see why they did it) but I think overall FE is doing quite a few good things that F1 either can't or won't.

It's designed from the ground up to appeal to new fans, it's designed to help teams enter easily and the nature of the sport means you can have a lot more street circuit based races taking the sport to places that are still growing or don't have the infrastructure to support a proper track.

And you know what? Aside from the wings, I think the cars look kinda cool.

I think it needs to try and be a little bit less 'wipeout 2049' which was the vibe it was giving off the other night. All be it a million lights years slower.

4 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Formula E is already fucking brilliant. It has the most racing and weirdly, that's what I watch racing for. 

I do enjoy it, although it can be a bit hard to follow as you used to get some races here, some there, some elsewhere on different platforms. I think it's settled down now and you can watch all the races on iPlayer. The FE youtube channel shows Quali / Practice but not the races in the UK. 

The only thing I don't like is the tracks. I don't mind that they're skinny, it's that you can't see any of the city you're racing in since they're all boxed in up the sides with sponsor boards. On top of that the design is usually done in a way that there's loads of low speed hairpins and sharp turns where drivers can't really overtake slowing things down. I guess they're probably a necessity to generate battery power under braking, but it's a bit rubbish.

But, I'll stick with it, as anything is better than the G1 cars that could only last 20 mins before the driver had to hop out and change cars half way through the race.

23 hours ago, mexos said:

Ha!

I've made peace with the fact it’s going to happen far quicker than I thought. I gave it 10-15 years for full electric F1 but it’s probably going to be around half that. If they want manufacturers to stick around that is. Hell in 7-8 years how many of the manufacturers are going to be making ice powered cars at all?

Well, theoretically in 9 years they'll be illegal to sell in the place the majority of the teams are based so you'd assume so.

Of course whether that target will be remotely hit by a government who are doing zero about it and only proposed the target as a dead cat or whether the teams will stay in post brexit Britain remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, marsh said:

I think it needs to try and be a little bit less 'wipeout 2049' which was the vibe it was giving off the other night. All be it a million lights years slower.

I think it's a misunderstanding really, F E is meant to be a testbed not just for the power train but for every idea they think of.  That's why we had the now long forgotten "ejay" shit during the race.  That's why it has attack mode and fanboost.  These things are being tried and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One 2021 - It's Race Weekend!
  • Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One 2021 - Suspected crashing out problems