Formula One 2021 - I'm not saying it was you, but it definitely wasn't me

Autosport have gone to great length to point out that the FIA have used the word "teams" rather than just pointing the finger at Red Bull.

Has the Alpha Tauri branding made them forget that AT are still the Red Bull jr team

On 11/05/2021 at 20:08, Sidewaysbob said:

Aren't they all in their own little F1 bubble at the track. So limited staff, no hospitality and everyone stays in the circuit. It's how they managed to get round Europe last year. 

That was how it was spun when the season got going. In practice it didn’t actually happen to any great extent. Perez went and caught Covid in Mexico, you had Leclerc posing with fans in restaurants in Monaco. Sophia Flörsch and some of the other lower-formula drivers were wandering off to do ELMS and stopping off at home in between. 

I think Lewis DID stay completely confined to his hotel room all season and he still caught it, so clearly someone brought it in to him. We know about the drivers who had it but not how many of the teams’ personnel and so on.

That article I linked the other week about the (then-unconfirmed) cancellation of the Montreal race says much the same thing, for example. The public health authority there just didn’t believe that, even with the F1 circus making its best efforts, enough could be done to prevent thousands of interpersonal interactions between the visitors and the locals.

On 12/05/2021 at 12:57, mexos said:

It's not really a regular set up though is it. George is clearly the heir + his current team happily let him drive for Merc last year. Williams have a very nice relationship with Merc, after all Toto was a part of that very same team and they buy (or get gratis / cut price for running George) lots of Merc bits for their car.

George giving information to Williams. Would he really risk it all to do that? Doubt.

Ocon is half out the Merc door and his current team have no technology transfer or deals in pace. Very different imo.

23 hours ago, McCoy said:

Dunno. Spending 21 races pooling round the back in a Williams when you know there is a simply change they could apply to make you faster. It would be very tempting to let slip a few hints to the team. 

I'm not even sure spending time in a simulator is going to do the job anyway. All the drivers who have switched teams could have spent every waking moment from 1st Jan 2021 in their respective simulators but, if they have done, it certainly hasn't provided any benefit to race and quali pace in real life. In comparison, Russell was able to jump in the Merc and effectively beat Bottas. 

You can put it down to a number of things, I just put it down to the fact that he is a much better driver than Bottas. 

Obviously George will have been extensively debriefed back at Williams about every little thing he observed at Mercedes-AMG, but it’s hardly going to translate into immediate performance gains.

Paddy Lowe was on Beyond The Grid a couple of weeks ago. He wouldn’t talk much about Williams but he did say one pretty insightful thing. Paraphrasing slightly: “Your problem is not that you have made a slow car. Your problem is that you have an organisation that makes slow cars.”

Talk of bendy wings reminds me of the days Ross Brawn was running things at Ferrari.

A journo phoned the factory one day to talk about rumours Mickey was moving or some fanciful thing, completely unrelated to aerodynamics. The lady who answers the phone before the jurno has asked the first question says, "Mr Brawn has absolutely no comment to make about the FIA investigation into the deflection of the floor on our current Ferrari car. Our car is perfectly legal and our floor does not move during racing" 

There's a pause and the Jurno says "sorry, FIA investigation ?"

There's a muffled apology and the phone goes dead.

10 minutes later Ross calls the jurno to explain that there is nothing to see here. "Just a misunderstanding by the PA, you know how these things happy. It's all good here, how are you? No, Mikey isn't leaving the team hahahah"

6 weeks later the FIA issue a vaguely worded FAX that introduces new floor deflection tests for the forthcoming GP season. 

Whatever you think an F1 team is doing, it is almost certainly doing a whole other bunch of morally grey are things. Not cheating you understand, just not exactly what the rules say ... or don't say usually.

If you're not cheating you're losing.

I seem to post this one every year but it's evergreen. F1 Designer Frank Dernie (designed Hunt's hesketh and the suspension for the first active Williams) once said (paraphrased) "If you ever see a team with something obviously iffy, look closer but they almost certainly put that on to distract you from what they're REALLY doing.  I always did."

Another thought is that I doubt Interlagos is going to happen this year so should they try out sprint qualifying at the Styrian GP instead?

I'd still expect major changes to the calendar going forward.

I still have major doubts about the street circuits. Brazil will get cancelled for sure, will Aus actually be letting people in? Japan I can see getting canned when they finally give up on the Olympics. 

The schedule shuffling has created another triple-header, which is not great for track staff. I know they're probably keen on running as many events as possible, but in a (potentially) 23-race season, couldn't they just cancel the thing rather than replacing it?

We're steaming full-speed towards NASCAR levels of event saturation. We're still in the middle of a global pandemic. Staff are already having to make more sacrifices when travelling to races when it comes to distancing and isolating. Austria already has a race scheduled anyway. It might be being called the Styrian Grand Prix but it really should be called the Unnecessary Grand Prix instead.

6 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

More than 16 races a season is unnecessary. 

Is it 16 that is the minimum for it to be classed as a championship?

I'm assuming that's why they add on the extra ones that at first glance appear superfluous, to ensure they get to 16 when other races are inevitably cancelled later in the season.

6 hours ago, John0 said:

Jeez if Red Bull suddenly lose 3 tenths on the straights that's the season done. It's 2018 all over again!

I find it fascinating how the F1 world seem to have been duped into thinking Merc are the #2 team this year when they've been consistently as quick or quicker than Red Bull in the races.  I think there's a really interesting analysis there somewhere that would probably show that Red Bull are cocky idiots that need to be best at everything while Merc are more sly and happy to realise being the perceived underdog and then actually win is advantagous.

13 minutes ago, Agent L said:

I'm assuming that's why they add on the extra ones that at first glance appear superfluous, to ensure they get to 16 when other races are inevitably cancelled later in the season.

I think it's less about being classed as a championship and more about minimum number of races to not have to give partial refunds to most of the sponsors.

From F1's perspective, a guaranteed Austria double header is better than falling short of races if COVID kicks off heavily again, or expected global relaxations don't occur.

44 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I find it fascinating how the F1 world seem to have been duped into thinking Merc are the #2 team this year when they've been consistently as quick or quicker than Red Bull in the races.  I think there's a really interesting analysis there somewhere that would probably show that Red Bull are cocky idiots that need to be best at everything while Merc are more sly and happy to realise being the perceived underdog and then actually win is advantagous.

I don’t think the media has been duped at all. If anything, they’re actively trying to dupe the audience to sell subscriptions and clicks. I’m pretty sure I saw an advert on sky calling this the “biggest season of all time”. 

56 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I don’t think the media has been duped at all. If anything, they’re actively trying to dupe the audience to sell subscriptions and clicks. I’m pretty sure I saw an advert on sky calling this the “biggest season of all time”. 

That's my take on it too. The past few seasons when Mercedes have been topping the tables in testing the rhetoric has been "testing doesn't really show us anything" but then Mercedes don't top the timings and it's "ooooh we've got a fight on", like I said after the Spanish GP, Hamilton's toying with his prey.

Its the same all the way through the field, Norris has been comfortably beating Ricciardo so far this season and it's been "is Daniel finished!?" then the positions were reversed and there's headlines of "How does Norris overcome season worst finish if 8th!?!?".

We're four fucking races into the season :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Agent L said:

Pretty sure they said last season that you only need 8 races for a championship.

2 hours ago, GwiDan said:

It reminds me of when ITV seemed to hype up every race as the one Button would finally get his first win and it just kept not happening. 

The FIA have finally twigged that the rest of the world actually work on weekdays and do not watch tv during the day. As such, they have wisely moved Qualifying for the ‘British Grand Prix Sprint Qualifying Extravaganza Super Special Excitement Fun Time Race’ from Friday lunchtime to Friday evening so people can watch. They’ve also delayed the introduction of the blue shell till next year and will only use mushrooms, banana skins and green and red shells this year.

9 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

They’ve also delayed the introduction of the blue shell till next year and will only use mushrooms, banana skins and green and red shells this year.

Super Maldonado Kart! Brad let’s gooooooo!

They need a certain number of races for TV reasons. They need to race on 3 continent, I think, to class it as a world championship. So a minimum of three races to declare Lewis World champion again ;)

I like watching races. So I’d be happy if they extended it to 25, but I recon 20-22 is probably the sweet spot.

At 20 races a year I’ll try to watch every one live. Above that and I’d probably end up watching 3 or 4 as live but in the evening, running the media blackout gauntlet to not ruin the result.

I’d LOVE them to do a spoiler free F1 TV catch-up site...

They do, sky has paid them not to let us have it.

but yeah, 16 a year and I’d watch them all. More than that I don’t even pay attention to the calendar, if I’m in on a weekend then I’ll check if there is one.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - I'm not saying it was you, but it definitely wasn't me