Formula One 2021 - DRAMA

T Pot

I suppose. Difference is Jones is there as a link, Monger is there to provide expertise from a racing point of view, but he doesn't have that experience to draw upon.

Has anyone come up with a reason why Mercedes have a kill switch for the brakes?

4 minutes ago, wev said:

Has anyone come up with a reason why Mercedes have a kill switch for the brakes?

It shifts the brake balance all the way to the front which is apparently useful for heating the brakes during safety cars/installation laps etc but obviously never to be used in a race situation. I have a feeling it will be relocated before the next race.

Oh that makes a little more sense, the way Hamilton worded it made it sound like the brakes switch off completely, though having everything on the front is effectively doing that anyway 😂

Refreshing to hear a new national anthem. Mega chuffed P1 for Tom Cruise. 

How embarrassing for Pirelli. Wtf. I really feel for Max. 

The Merc magic button is bizarre. 

Proper adrenaline rush for those final two laps. No DRS and no Mercedes. So exciting. I’m gonna watch it again. 

I think my entire fantasy team got into the points that race! Oh, except Max :lol:

1 hour ago, NexivRed said:

The Merc magic button is bizarre. 

2016 vibes from Hamilton so far this season, he hasn't been this messy for a while and unlike Monza he didn't get away with it this time. I wonder if they shuffled the steering wheels dials around with the removal of the DAS system which made it easier for him activate accidently.

Pirelli are saying the tyres were cut and similar damage was found on Hamilton's hard tyres

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/31381/12326444/max-verstappen-lance-strolls-azerbaijan-gp-tyre-failures-pirelli-say-initial-investigations-point-to-debris

Pirelli boss Mario Isola says initial investigations by F1’s tyre supplier suggest debris may have caused the tyre failures on Max Verstappen's and Lance Stroll's cars that sent both drivers crashing out of the Azerbaijan GP.

He also revealed that they had discovered a cut on Lewis Hamilton's left-rear tyre too from the same stint as the two accidents

Lots of people wanting Pirelli out of F1 don't realise that most other manufacturers don't think it's worth the effort anymore so there isn't much competition to replace them.

5 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Is everyone who’s watching the full race watching it on Sky Sports? Is that the only way to view it? 

Legally yeah. I’m sure a lot of those people from the high seas getting their streams on Reddit would actually pay for it on F1 TV if they offered it in the U.K. Sort it out F1.

7 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Is everyone who’s watching the full race watching it on Sky Sports? Is that the only way to view it? 

Yep. Ages back I got some deal for F1 HD for £10/month which they would honour as price as long as I kept it going.  So I’ve kept it going.  It’s the only sport channel I have.

54 minutes ago, sprite said:

Yep. Ages back I got some deal for F1 HD for £10/month which they would honour as price as long as I kept it going.  So I’ve kept it going.  It’s the only sport channel I have.

This is me too.

I'd strongly consider dropping Sky all together if it wasn't for F1, though I'd miss Indy Car too.  I guess F2 is on F1TV, which would be the obvious viable option for me, in 2024, assuming F1 don't renew.  

38 minutes ago, Corranga said:

This is me too.

I'd strongly consider dropping Sky all together if it wasn't for F1, though I'd miss Indy Car too.  I guess F2 is on F1TV, which would be the obvious viable option for me, in 2024, assuming F1 don't renew.  

I'm pretty much the same, except my husband is obsessed with watching all the hallmark-style movie channels as well :lol: 

Actually, I've really enjoyed having FreeSports for the IIHF world champs too lately.

It's a lot of money but for every F1 weekend I really do get my money's worth, I properly binge it :D 

I use NOW TV which is £33/month for the sports channels. They used to offer one day and weekend passes which were good for the F1 but now you can only get weekly or monthly passes. 

Just now, Count Buffalos said:

How is the picture quality on Now TV? I’m probably going to be cancelling my Sky subscription imminently. I presume it’s the same coverage of the sports channels - F2 / practice / quali etc?

I get 1080p with Now, but it costs an extra £3 a month. I signed up to a season pass for F1 though, so it’s only costing £23 a month all in, then I cancel when the f1 is over. 

12 hours ago, ryodi said:

Lots of people wanting Pirelli out of F1 don't realise that most other manufacturers don't think it's worth the effort anymore so there isn't much competition to replace them.

Yeah, who would take that gig, they tell you to make crap tyres and blame you when it's crap basically.

The only way to be a single tyre supplier is to make them rock hard.

F1 not having a tyre war is nonsense too, it's as dumb as spec engines.

3 hours ago, sprite said:

Yeah and I'd do that now but the absolute cheapest way to get the F1 legally is three times that. On actual TV I think it's about £45 and you have to have them drill into your house.

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

F1 not having a tyre war is nonsense too, it's as dumb as spec engines.

Teams have a cost cap. Why can't the engine and tyre manufacturers? 

Have a tyre war, with some freedom. But a cost cap to encourage multiple suppliers and make it possible for the smaller manufacturers to have a pop.

I'd love to see more variety.

6 hours ago, mexos said:

Legally yeah. I’m sure a lot of those people from the high seas getting their streams on Reddit would actually pay for it on F1 TV if they offered it in the U.K. Sort it out F1.

I subscribed to F1TV and watch it through my VPN. They had a ludicrous pre season offer that was something like £40 for the year. I paid £70 for the year which seems like a very good deal and the reason I've been watching this season so much.

2 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I subscribed to F1TV and watch it through my VPN. They had a ludicrous pre season offer that was something like £40 for the year. I paid £70 for the year which seems like a very good deal and the reason I've been watching this season so much.

Curious, did you have a credit card registered in the country you subscribed in? Also did you need to be in the country that the CC was held in to do the subscription? I know that was the deal when it launched.

I was going to jump through these hoops but then they had all the issues at launch. And then 4K is still a pipe dream and Germany (where I could have done this from) signed an exclusivity deal with Sky. :quote:

I wish they could do something outside of the exclusivity deals. Like stream the races in 4K as a premium service, charge a ridiculous premium price (Like £20 - 25 a race) so it doesn't cannibalise cable deals. 

I'm an idiot so I'd happily sign up. 

I was reading the sporting regs earlier, and random fact of the day, did you know that the size of the trophies is dictated in the rules? Also the fact that they have to resemble a traditional cup. How do the Heineken trophies pass that? 

2 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

How is the picture quality on Now TV? I’m probably going to be cancelling my Sky subscription imminently. I presume it’s the same coverage of the sports channels - F2 / practice / quali etc?

Picture quality seems perfect to me but I'm no expert. Yes you get all sessions and sundry programmes, F2, Ted's notebook etc. Lots of other sports channels too. 

I use NowTV via the app on my XBox One. It currently costs me £20 a month because there was an offer before the season started and when you csncel they usually offer it for £25 a month to retain you which I do as soon as the offer period ends. I also watch IndyCar and Premier League which is how I justify the price and I cancel as soon as the season is over. Picture quality is fine and it is usually on a slight delay for me so I can sometimes find out something has happened on Twitter seconds before I see it on screen but that’s more of a problem when I’m watching football.

3 hours ago, mexos said:

Curious, did you have a credit card registered in the country you subscribed in? Also did you need to be in the country that the CC was held in to do the subscription? I know that was the deal when it launched.

I was going to jump through these hoops but then they had all the issues at launch. And then 4K is still a pipe dream and Germany (where I could have done this from) signed an exclusivity deal with Sky. :quote:

I wish they could do something outside of the exclusivity deals. Like stream the races in 4K as a premium service, charge a ridiculous premium price (Like £20 - 25 a race) so it doesn't cannibalise cable deals. 

I'm an idiot so I'd happily sign up. 

I use a Roku stick as my streaming device. Once that was setup as if it was being used in America, I setup my payment device to be PayPal and then just paid for the F1TV service via the app on the Roku device which then bypasses all the nonsense about cards having to be from the US (mine is a UK credit card) . I can then use that login to watch the service on my phone or pc. 

Otherwise you do need an American credit card as you previously mentioned. 

4 hours ago, mexos said:

Teams have a cost cap. Why can't the engine and tyre manufacturers? 

Have a tyre war, with some freedom. But a cost cap to encourage multiple suppliers and make it possible for the smaller manufacturers to have a pop.

I'd love to see more variety.

Well I'll assume for a moment we're pretending cost caps work in a sport like this or are enforceable in the slightest.

Then yes, absolutely. Let them spend a little more for each team supplied and have the same "(Teams/Suppliers) +1" rule as for engines.

5 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I was reading the sporting regs earlier, and random fact of the day, did you know that the size of the trophies is dictated in the rules? Also the fact that they have to resemble a traditional cup. How do the Heineken trophies pass that? 

I thought there were some that don't resemble a cup? I don't pay attention very much but doesn't Monaco or somewhere have plates? And somewhere with the shape of the track? Does the Santander flame thing still happen? Then there's some things that look like they're supposed to be arty or something but look like cheap plastic. Let's not forget the gorilla holding a tyre.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I thought there were some that don't resemble a cup? I don't pay attention very much but doesn't Monaco or somewhere have plates? And somewhere with the shape of the track? Does the Santander flame thing still happen? Then there's some things that look like they're supposed to be arty or something but look like cheap plastic. Let's not forget the gorilla holding a tyre.

Well exactly. I think first place is meant to be bigger than 55cm, which is massive!

I think there’s a loophole (as with everything F1) which means they sometimes hand out placeholder trophies during the podium ceremony, then quietly swap the plastic Santander logo for the real trophy a bit later on.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA