Formula One 2021 - DRAMA

T Pot

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'd love Merc to go out in Q2 and give us a race but Hamilton's gonna be 2nd row at worst surely.

And yet I don't have the job at Sky.

When are people going to stop believing it literally every time Mercedes go "Oh no we're totally in trouble this time you guys!"

It couldn't be less convincing if it were accompanied by a Mutley laugh sound effect.

I’m fine with it being decided with a red flag occasionally. Adds some randomness to what might otherwise be a procession with the fastest car leading from the front. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

When are people going to stop believing it literally every time Mercedes go "Oh no we're totally in trouble this time you guys!"

It couldn't be less convincing if it were accompanied by a Mutley laugh sound effect.

That or “Bono, my tyres are gone”. You can only choose one!

1 minute ago, ryodi said:

It’s happened in the last two races but I can’t remember when it happened before then. So of course there will be an overreaction.

Probably Monaco 2012.

Thought there has been another one this season (yellow flags included) but I can't think of it in fairness, so yeah maybe that is a bit of an overreaction. Just feels like a bit of an anticlimax. The spectacle of the straight fight for pure lap time gets wiped out right at its peak.

It's part of racing.

The problem with accounting for all this stuff is you're just removing variables and part of the skill is managing these variables.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's part of racing.

The problem with accounting for all this stuff is you're just removing variables and part of the skill is managing these variables.

When there's a red flag they should just reset all times and start the race using current championship standings. It's the only way to be fair. 

#joke 

23 minutes ago, John0 said:

What if every red flag added 2 minutes to the session time or something simple like that though?

Again, you're removing variables.

But 2 minutes wouldn't do much at Baku, you'd need to be out of the pits and booking it to get round in time and then you wouldn't have the battery to get anywhere near your previous time.

Plus TV schedules, they already won't like the clock even stopping during a red much less forcing them to cut into other shows in a lot of cases.

Welp, next time there's a red they just told us you have to swerve into the pits regardless of safety.

Norris didn't cause a problem, he did the thing least likely to cause a problem in the circumstance.  Penalising him rather than making just saying "Next time we think you could have pitted there" is a nonsense.

Penalise the guy who didn't cause any safety issues, ignore the 5 drivers who crashed.

21 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Welp, next time there's a red they just told us you have to swerve into the pits regardless of safety.

Norris didn't cause a problem, he did the thing least likely to cause a problem in the circumstance.  Penalising him rather than making just saying "Next time we think you could have pitted there" is a nonsense.

Penalise the guy who didn't cause any safety issues, ignore the 5 drivers who crashed.

I'm not convinced. 

During the hearing Norris admitted to the stewards that he lifted the throttle, braked and was committed to and able to enter the pitlane.

However, at that moment he was not sure what to do and asked his team over the radio.

Although the team ordered him immediately to enter the pits, it was too late and he crossed the finish line one more time, a breach of Article 31.6 of the Sporting Regulations.

I'm a bit confused but surely it is quicker to brake appropriately and enter the pits rather than radio the team asking what to do. 

Its a red flag, enter the pits. What did he think the team were going to tell him to do? A red flag isn't a yellow or a VSC, it's not going away anytime soon. 

Was a bit daft of Norris to not just come straight into the pits on a red flag, I know it’s easy to criticise sat on the sofa but it seems like racetrack safety 101 and shouldn’t require instructions over the radio so I can see why he’s ended up with a punishment and not just a warning.

45 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Was a bit daft of Norris to not just come straight into the pits on a red flag, I know it’s easy to criticise sat on the sofa but it seems like racetrack safety 101 and shouldn’t require instructions over the radio so I can see why he’s ended up with a punishment and not just a warning.

And, in theory, a red flag could be properly bad. They don't need a F1 car doing another lap if there is any possibility they can dive into the pits. 

How much money goes under the table to keep this track on the timetable? The blindness of that castle turret chicane if anyone were to stop just after it. Whole track feels iffy. 

Left feeling an itch after that many crashes in qualifying. Whole thing feels off. 

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA