Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate

T Pot

Merc royally fucked that up. Once they decided to listen to him and leave him out they should have left him out for good. He was 10 seconds ahead in 3rd, with 10 laps to go, losing 1s a lap. Catching is one thing etc. He’d have held 3rd.

That’s also why he was never gonna get back past LeClerc, let alone Perez.

If they knew the tire was gonna blow, I could understand it. But it looked like it would have been fine to the finish. Stupid.

Him ignoring the pit call has worked for him enough times in his career that it was always going to work out badly at some point. It being a wet race really hurt Hamilton, it was dry he'd have breezed past the other cars with DRS. The points lost weren't huge, Bottas won and COTA will now be very interesting to see the relative pace of the RB and Mercedes. 

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Merc royally fucked that up. Once they decided to listen to him and leave him out they should have left him out for good. He was 10 seconds ahead in 3rd, with 10 laps to go, losing 1s a lap. Catching is one thing etc. He’d have held 3rd.

He wouldn't. 

In the final stage of his tyres he was doing 1.35s whilst others regularly ended up doing 1.33 and Bottas on fastest lap was a 1.31. He'd have ended up losing two seconds a lap on his previous tyres. 

Maybe it was worth a gamble, but they may also not have made it to the end either. 

15 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Would there have been this much discussion if Max hadn't got a 2nd from the back of the grid last time out? 

Yes because he and the team threw away points in a title battle that is likely to go down to the wire. Every mess up counts this year.

Ocon stayed on the same set of inters all the way through and he was losing 4 seconds a lap towards the end compared to those chasing him, theres no way Lewis would have finished on the podium if he stayed out.  His best chance was pit with everyone else but they were desperate for free air to take advantage of their speed advantage as it seems like this years Merc really doesnt like following another car.  Redbull always seem to do well with their stratergy in uncertain changing conditions, they make much more quick decisive decisions than Mercedes.

13 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Would there have been this much discussion if Max hadn't got a 2nd from the back of the grid last time out? 

Probably not. And that second was a bit lucky. It was a 7th place before the rain came down (and Hamilton would have finished P2 rather than P1 without the rain too). 

13 hours ago, mexos said:

Yes because he and the team threw away points in a title battle that is likely to go down to the wire. Every mess up counts this year.

It does, but I'm not sure this will be a massive issue in the grand scheme. It looks like Hamilton might have been able to finish anything from P3-P7. And that P3 probably relies on putting at a similar time to Perez and then trying to overtake on track again. The P7 is if he had stayed out and the tyres really had gone to shit like Ocon. P4 is most likely if he had pitted at the same time. So P5 is in the middle range, possibly it was a loss of 3-5 points if they had nailed the strategy and been able to pass Perez on track or in the pit stop phase. 

In the grand scheme, any eventual Championship loss of 18 points or less will be put down to him pressing the wrong button in Baku. 

Both the title contenders have now had there engine penalties and there is less than a win and a second place separating them. Game on. 

17 minutes ago, McCoy said:

In the grand scheme, any eventual Championship loss of 18 points or less will be put down to him pressing the wrong button in Baku.

Or to Max's tyre blowout in Baku while cruising to victory, in fairness. It was good that events in Baku evened out for them both. 

5 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Look at at the British bias going on this thread. The answer is always Silverstone which if Hamilton does win it this year is going to be talked about forever.

Nah. Albon is going to be too busy next year to repeatedly spend his time checking different racing lines. 

20 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Look at at the British bias going on this thread. The answer is always Silverstone which if Hamilton does win it this year is going to be talked about forever.

To me Silverstone is just another of those critical moments - just like the bollock drop yesterday. You also have Baku, the points for no racing at Spa etc etc. 

All I know is the script is writing itself for the best F1 movie ever. Will there be a Hollywood schmaltz fairytale ending with Ham indisputably cemented as the GOAT or will it signal the start of a new challenger for the title? I just hope we can have as much drama as we've had so far right up until the last race with more wheel to wheel incidents and skulduggery. 

Personally, I'd like to see Lewis get the title this year as the end of an era. Then George can have it next year as the start of a new era. Or Lando, well more Lando more really, but I'm not sure the Macca with be quite that good next year.

Basically anyone but Max... hell, I'd even take Trulli over Max

Going to make an assumption Lew will do 22, and 23 and be gone before the 2024 season. 

George will have 2 years under his belt as a team mate. Plenty of time to judge if he will make the step up to leader.

The driver I would go for will have had 5 years in his team by then and will probably be itching to go for a championship - Lando.

If Lew does a Rosberg and retires out of the blue what to do? Say he gets 8 this year and doesn't like the 22 car and calls it a day. You have George with 1 year under his belt. Assume Lando, Lec and Max are unavailable. I'd want someone with experience and speed. I'd go left field and get Gasly on a one year. Pretty sure you are getting a very different driver from the guy that did his time at RB. I think he'd be savvy enough to grab the opportunity this time around.

The big unknown is Max. If he doesn't win this year or next I bet he jumps ship.

That I will not choose convenience over my own health does not mean I am making decisions out of selfishness. We all just want to be healthy.

Sure, sure Alan.
A member of the medical team who disregards medical advice.

Relatively fast drivers are ten a penny when you’re the FIA.

Get him gone.

19 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Sure, sure Alan.
A member of the medical team who disregards medical advice.

Relatively fast drivers are ten a penny when you’re the FIA.

Get him gone.

Can I just shock you? I like vaccines.

As always, 50% too many races, both for people who might want to have lives and for any individual race to have any wider championship meaning.

And as a thought exercise, the 7 that should go are Saudi, France, Miami, Netherlands, Russia, Abu Dhabi (And Monaco but good fucking luck).

Zandvoort is going to be on the calendar until Max retires. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the Netherlands gets a second race due to how popular Max is similar to Alonso's success rewarding the fans with the awful Valenica street circuit. I'd add Qatar to your list as well. 

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate