Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate

T Pot

5 hours ago, RFT said:

I have a hunch Martin might be gearing up to retire at the end of the year. He's taken more races than usual off this year (I think), and interestingly they've had a a few different people take his place at the ones he's missed (Nico, Karun, Paul DR have all had goes at it. Maybe Jenson as well?) so I;m wondering if they're doing auditions for the role.

Of that, Nico was the best, I think, Karun Second and I don't think Paul was good last weekend at all.

Brundle tends to contribute to the general commentry alot more than the other support commentators who need prompting before they chime in, which seems to stop the main guy trying to fill every moment with words so I would be sorry to see him go.

I'd be very sorry to see Martin go. He's been amazing. Yeah I am a bit of a fan...

669781377_Screenshot2021-09-30at17_33_36.thumb.png.785f7801a7386b6ce86d8219a2050cc4.png

As for the future...I'd use Rosberg as a commentator - I find him Alan Partridge cringeworthy as a pundit but as a detail commentator he's good if Martin is taking a step back or stopping. Crofty I think would be forced to up his game.

Since everyone is remote these days I don't see why Sky couldn't set Martin up with a rig in his house. Cut to him every 5-10 mins to add his thoughts so it's less in the moment commentary.  

Whats going on with Lazenby? Summer hols? I've got used to him, dare I say he's been missed as anchor. Pinkham doesn't cut it unfortunately. 

Out: Pinkham, Herbert, Hill, PDR

Utilise more: Ted. We need more Ted. 

In: Rosberg as the expert commentator, Martin for extra colour / opinion here and there.

Keep for now: Karun. He's good but I find he's a bit dull - not PDR dull but still. Jenson - unconvinced if I'm honest, but I'd take him any day over the old guard.

Pundits wish list: Seb when he retires.

Let's face it though, Nico is never going to do commentary full time.

Paul Di Resta is, in my personal opinion, awful. While I will concede that he has got decent knowledge, he is also sadly, a rambling mess. He abandons sentences midway through and finishes other sentences that he only started in his head. His grasp of the english language syntax is so profoundly poor that it beggars belief that it is his first language. 

Alex Brundle real.....ly grates on.....ME as.....Well. It's like he's constantly buffering. Sadly, the apple fell very from the tree that day. So much so that I can only assume that as it fell, it was grabbed by 2 African Swallows and flown to parts unknown.

Who is surprisingly good though, is Jordan King. He's done a few of the F2 / F3 rounds this year (in place of A.Brundle) and he's superb. Really great delivery, concise, knowledgeable. It's a shame he never made it to F1 as I suspect that's one of Sky's prerequisites for their F1 driver pundit team. He's genuinely superb in the commentary booth.

I just heard. FUCKING Qatar, for fucks saaaake.

Really feel like I should be boycotting it. I don’t think I can watch that race. Should boycott the whole fucking sport, the stupid cunts.

Plenty of it already steps over that moral line, but this is beyond the pale.

What is it? Over 600 people dead building shit?

They should sort this shit out. I’d happily take a cut in races or go to other tracks more often to get the ethical trajectory going the other way. It will never be great, but it’s going in the wrong direction. 

As well as all the moral issues with Qatar, it looks like another bore fest as most of the new tracks are.  Especially annoying as these last couple of improvised calendars have shown how great some of the older tracks they didn’t go to anymore are.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

Pinkham doesn't cut it unfortunately. 

I like Pinkham.

Someone that really grates with me is this guy: 

download.jpg.9a5fc5bcfa3c1d29f8d2b2779a2d6ff6.jpg 

What about Anthony Davidson?

I don't mind PDR but as LowCostMonkey points out, his command of the English language is embarrassing. 

On 29/09/2021 at 12:33, McCoy said:

I was watching Joylan Palmer's analysis on the Russia race on Youtube and it really highlights that the Sky TV line up is a bit long in the tooth now. 

Nothing against Hill and Herbert but they have been out of the sport for a long time - you really need a regular presence such as Palmer, Button, Rosberg etc. 

I say this a lot but the traditional line up is "Hype Guy" and "Expert in F1".

And the thing is, Brundle isn't one now.  Like you say it's been too long.  Everyone talks to him like any other journalist, none of his contemporaries drive now, most of the big cheeses have retired and teams are run massively differently now.  And they're not going to give that information to him.

I don't watch a lot of build up but even then I've seen multiple conversations along the lines of...

<Martin> And it won't have gone like that because that's not how F1 teams work.

<Nico> That's exactly how F1 teams work.

Martin Brundle last drove an F1 race nearly 25 years ago.  A quarter century.  That would be if James Hunt had lived and was still commenting on Lewis' first title while pretending to really know how an F1 team of 2008 worked.

Brundle is now you or me.  And they certainly don't need 3 of those on the coverage.  Hill and Herbert's pearl clutching over Monza was just hilariously pathetic. Of the 3 you absolutely need Brundle but you need someone with the ability to evaluate behaviour on a modern basis having driven at least vaguely modern cars in action to be in that booth, and they no longer have it.  Even DC over on C4 is on borrowed time but he's been out of the game half the time (actually about as long as Hunt had been when he died) and at least he still has ties to a team.

And I think Brundle knows it, and I think the retirement talk might not be so far off. 

11 hours ago, ryodi said:

It looks a bit like the Bahrain circuit and I assume it’ll be a night race.

As someone who's seen a lot of MotoGP there it's basically what happens if you show someone Bahrain and they say "Ok... I like it.... but can it be less interesting?"

Yep Qatar is awful in every way and it's not a surprise that F1 is going there, they wouldnt boycott Bahrain in, I think 2013 when there was alot of protests, they're going to Saudi Arabia despite, well, everything (and it's looking ever likely that they'll just about finish building the track but not the facilities in time for race weekend, just like India).

F1 has done alot to try and change it's image from the Bernie years, but in these kinds of decisions (Saudi Arabia and Qatar) it's shown it hasn't really changed at all.

What should we do? Well we should stick to our beliefs and only partner with countries, suppliers, sponsors that are in line with our open, inclusive brand that we are trying to build.

Yeah but what if we just did the exact opposite and make a quick buck?

F1 is frustrating - they have come a long way of late. They have some of the best brains on the planet working for and around them and yet they still sometimes act a (tiny) bit like Trump and do things that are totally illogical - purely for short term financial gain with little regard for what that says about you and your morals. In some ways Bernie never left.

On 01/10/2021 at 11:43, Blue said:

Not easy though. If track selection was based on ethics and moral considerations, there'd be no tracks. None. 

Exactly this.   We just raced in fucking Russia. A place where they murder journalists who speak out.  There is no ethics and moral considerations in F1. Lets stop kidding ourselves. 

On 01/10/2021 at 11:19, wev said:

Yep Qatar is awful in every way and it's not a surprise that F1 is going there, they wouldnt boycott Bahrain in, I think 2013 when there was alot of protests, they're going to Saudi Arabia despite, well, everything (and it's looking ever likely that they'll just about finish building the track but not the facilities in time for race weekend, just like India).

F1 has done alot to try and change it's image from the Bernie years, but in these kinds of decisions (Saudi Arabia and Qatar) it's shown it hasn't really changed at all.

Then you couldn't race in the US, UK, Brazil, Australia...

I'm not condoning Qatar, it just seems a bit convenient that the media identified sportswashing in some countries more than others.

Well, yes, I'm in agreement, the number of years that they've been in Sao Paulo and seemingly never given back to the population has always been disgusting.

Like I said, the sports fans, mostly, aren't pretending these things aren't a problem, it's Formula 1 that does, and more recently they've tried to distance themselves from the Bernie years, at least he was open about being a fucking leech.

When shit is everywhere, you make a choice.

Either you go anywhere, do business with anyone who has the money. Or you realise there are shades of grey shitness.

Ideally F1 would look first to the totally not shitty countries (but rich enough to afford the fees lol). This is a very short, possibly empty list however and could never be enough to sustain F1.

Then you forced, you need to let in some of the rich shitty countries (of which I very much include my own).

You could score and grade them based on past and current shittyness to their own people and others. Lol ok, at least establish that there is a saturation point, a bar beyond which inclusion is unacceptable until said country stops being so shit. 

Or just go to whoever has the money and desire, no matter what they do, no matter how shitty it is and leave it at that. Which is exactly what they do.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

My partner surprised me with a trip to the Silverstone museum today. Loads of cool stuff, my favourite being:

CAB632B7-5B2F-43A9-8ADC-3D2A0CEBC6A3.thumb.jpeg.187573602c5f84d3f4ee3ff525efb73e.jpeg

Ah nice! How was it? I’ve been meaning to go.

So, bright sunshine for the entire weekend then?

If it does rain Lewis should take the engine penalty as Max couldn't keep the car pointing in the right direction last time around. :lol: 

21 hours ago, mexos said:

Ah nice! How was it? I’ve been meaning to go.

It was pretty good! Couple of things I wasn't too keen on were the first bit and the last bit feature videos that last about 4-5 minutes and you kind of have to stand/sit there watching them before you can enter or leave, but they're interesting enough.

The upper section deals mostly with the history of the place, why the corners are named as they are and what it was used for in the second World War. I think only myself and my partner really spent much time up here as everyone else seemed to want to get downstairs to see the cars ASAP 😂

Decent selection of cars down on the lower floor, if perhaps a few less than you'd think. They've obviously got the FW14-B, but also the 1966 Brabham. a 2000 McLaren, 2020 Racing Point (dressed up as a 2021 Aston), 2014 Red Bull, a Porsche 919 and to my nerdy delight, a Lotus 88! I spent far, far too long explaining the car's concept to my girlfriend who must have immediately regretted taking me. They have a bunch of other cars there too - reckon they've probably got about 20 in total.

Also a neat little selection of non-car things such as a signed Schumi helmet, Martin Brundle Benetton overalls and helmet, and signed driver entry forms for the 1975 and 1987 British Grands Prix.

Definitely worth a mosey around - think we spent a good few hours in there.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate