Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate

T Pot

It's probably fair to say that while I've said Lewis is having the luckiest year a driver has possibly ever had this year (alongside of course driving well), this race was a huge dose of luck for Max.  Starts last, losing as many as 15 points to Lewis quite late on, ends up only losing 7 thanks to a very well timed downpour.

33 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's probably fair to say that while I've said Lewis is having the luckiest year a driver has possibly ever had this year (alongside of course driving well), this race was a huge dose of luck for Max.  Starts last, losing as many as 15 points to Lewis quite late on, ends up only losing 7 thanks to a very well timed downpour.

He over ragged his tyres too, without the rain he wasn't getting any higher. I expected him to dropping further back by the end and getting into trouble. The rain saved him big time.

I think it rained for all of them. Some teams and drivers made good calls, some made terrible calls. Some made the right decisions at the right time and benefited. Lucky for some that it rained, certainly, but what happened after that wasn't all down to luck. 

It seems that the very puzzling inability of pit crews to press a button on a wheel gun might actually be down to the guns being calibrated for what the FIA thinks should be the quickest possible human reaction time, i.e, the crews are able to press the button sooner than the gun will allow a press to be registered. 

Edit: And apparently you can't just press the button again without first reactivating the sequence. 

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I think it rained for all of them. Some teams and drivers made good calls, some made terrible calls. Some made the right decisions at the right time and benefited. Lucky for some that it rained, certainly, but what happened after that wasn't all down to luck. 

Well yes and no.  Because your decision on whether to come in hinges on the "How much have I got to lose" calculation.

Max's race was iffy, Lewis needed to win, Bottas wasn't in the points.  In those situations you change something, in this case risking inters on what at the time was a barely moist track with only spots of rain.

Lando was win or die.  He has to continue really.  If that downpour was 3 minutes later he's a hero and radar doesn't give you that kind of resolution. He was also unlucky that downpour wasn't 30 seconds earlier when he could at least have dived in and got 2nd.

Yes these were calls but that circumstances meld themselves to the risks you HAD to take gave Lewis 7 points today and Max about 11-15.

I've been dipping in and out the past couple of years, watching the Ham stats roll upward, but was there much dedicated discussion around here on the Schumi Netflix doc? I just finished it and a lot of the candid...but not so candid talk from family members shocked me. I'd heard the PR, but those around him seem to be saying he's gone.

5 hours ago, makkuwata said:

I've been dipping in and out the past couple of years, watching the Ham stats roll upward, but was there much dedicated discussion around here on the Schumi Netflix doc? I just finished it and a lot of the candid...but not so candid talk from family members shocked me. I'd heard the PR, but those around him seem to be saying he's gone.

My understanding is that he suffered the same type of brain injury as Jules Bianchi. A severe Diffuse Axonal Injury, the outcome of which is usually persistent vegetative state.  "Over 90% of patients with severe DAI never regain consciousness. Those who do wake up often remain significantly impaired."

Bit harsh IMO. It's far from perfect but there's interesting stuff there. 

There's nothing about his actual driving career that you haven't seen before. But the family has given access to a lot of home video and photos that I hadn't seen before, and I thought the new interviews with Corinna and Mick were worthwhile (and Gina, though she is barely in it and doesn't say much). Mick's interview in particular is the real key thing about the film, I thought. 

I was watching Joylan Palmer's analysis on the Russia race on Youtube and it really highlights that the Sky TV line up is a bit long in the tooth now. 

Nothing against Hill and Herbert but they have been out of the sport for a long time - you really need a regular presence such as Palmer, Button, Rosberg etc. 

I still like Brundle in the commentary box (and not a massive fan of Di Resta) but if Rosberg became available full time you'd have to think about having a trio of them with the eventual view that Rosberg would replace Brundle or Brundle would move into the main commentary slot position. 

Corona hasn't helped the coverage since it is not that exciting just seeing everyone sit in designated places - it lacks a bit of adrenaline -  and it becomes a bit dull. Perhaps not possible immediately post race but the coverage needs more of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2nV-aw_JsA

And why is Ted a part time presence? His notebooks are easily the best content they produce post race. 

I believe that someone in the production department doesn't think Ted is any good because he wasn't a driver or team owner. 

The fact that Ted is the best commentator they have bar none, speaks volumes to me. 

I though the commentating crew in Sochi was really poor. Was it Rachel Brookes or Natalie Pinkham anchoring it? They're both interchangeable in my head and both terrible. 

Anyway, there were so many long pauses into ad breaks because she couldn't think of anything to say. Thank God they knew the rain was likely to spoil things and Sky had programs ready to fill. Because stupid people staring blankly at the camera like a rabbit caught in the headlights, doesn't make for great tv.

3 hours ago, McCoy said:

And why is Ted a part time presence? His notebooks are easily the best content they produce post race. 

Scott Young came in as the boss of Sky F1. He wanted to shake things up and put Ted on the chopping block. (He wanted some of the old talent out and from what I rememebr wasn't a personal fan of Ted). It was down to massive backlash from fans and staff within Sky F1 that got the decision overturned. However I think it did get switched up to Ted & Karun would take turns at different races / pitlanes etc. 

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

Scott Young came in as the boss of Sky F1. He wanted to shake things up and put Ted on the chopping block. (He wanted some of the old talent out and from what I rememebr wasn't a personal fan of Ted). It was down to massive backlash from fans and staff within Sky F1 that got the decision overturned. However I think it did get switched up to Ted & Karun would take turns at different races / pitlanes etc. 

Shame. Ted is very good at what he does. I'd much prefer Karun as a pundit or part of the commentary team. 

Amazing that someone comes in to get rid of the dead wood and they look at Ted rather than Hill or Herbert. Lazenby is fine but he's a bit vanilla. 

The whole package needs a bit of a refresh. 

58 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I would love to see Nico at more races, but rather than just standing around giving opinions etc up in the commentary box. The few races he's done that on he was brilliant. 

18 hours ago, McCoy said:

Shame. Ted is very good at what he does. I'd much prefer Karun as a pundit or part of the commentary team. 

Amazing that someone comes in to get rid of the dead wood and they look at Ted rather than Hill or Herbert. Lazenby is fine but he's a bit vanilla. 

I have a hunch Martin might be gearing up to retire at the end of the year. He's taken more races than usual off this year (I think), and interestingly they've had a a few different people take his place at the ones he's missed (Nico, Karun, Paul DR have all had goes at it. Maybe Jenson as well?) so I;m wondering if they're doing auditions for the role.

Of that, Nico was the best, I think, Karun Second and I don't think Paul was good last weekend at all.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate