IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate

T Pot

18 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Red Bull don’t have anyone to replace him. Albon is so good they don’t want him in either Red Bull team and no one else in the young driver program seems to be impressing enough for a F1 seat.

And yet Horner is again whining this morning that everyone is ruining Albon's career but him, the person with 4 seats he didn't put him in.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

TSU is a very lucky boy, he should thank Honda every night before bedtime. Because he should be gone. He needs to take a big step next year.

But honda are off at the end of the year, aren't they?

So him staying on board can't be coming from them.

I do wonder if Red Bull looked at Gasly again for the 2nd seat instead of Perez. Agree about Tsunoda he has shown nothing so far when you compare him to Gasly in the same car, lucky to pay for his 2022 seat.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Red Bull don’t have anyone to replace him. Albon is so good they don’t want him in either Red Bull team and no one else in the young driver program seems to be impressing enough for a F1 seat.

Albon is (was?) more impressive than Tsunoda, but I figure Red Bull are just buying time until 2023 when Liam Lawson will probably set up...

1 hour ago, RFT said:

...and perhaps this was part of the deal for Honda to transfer their engine design / R&D / to Red Bull Powertrains (or whatever they are called).

True, could have been. He's definitely been promoted into F1 too early and could have done with a second year in F2. I think the most worrying thing about Tsunoda is that he still gets flustered/angry on the radio and keeps making mistakes. As early as Imola he identified that as an area of improvement, but it's not seemingly getting any better.

I imagine a particularly attractive reason to keep Perez in the main team at the moment is that the additional funding his backers are bring in will really help with the additional costs that the engine program will bring.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

And yet Horner is again whining this morning that everyone is ruining Albon's career but him, the person with 4 seats he didn't put him in.

Yeah, typical Red Bull, anyone but them, perhaps though also trying to deflect from others who are available.

I'd put Nyck De Vries in the seat before I put Albon in it, much as I would have in 2019.  

There is an obvious Merc link, and he's available with their FE element ending. 

Is there a future for him in Merc otherwise?

50 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I do wonder if Red Bull looked at Gasly again for the 2nd seat instead of Perez. Agree about Tsunoda he has shown nothing so far when you compare him to Gasly in the same car, lucky to pay for his 2022 seat.

There was an interview on Ch4 with Gasly where he stated he was very happy being at Alpha Tauri. Now part of me says "well, he will say that to keep his seat etc" but I think you can see it in his body language and performances.

Ross Brawn has also made some comments about him being a fan of Gasly with a few "he ought to look beyond Red Bull" kind of things thrown in there too.

10 minutes ago, mexos said:

image.jpeg.10e24dd9ea79a0fd05d2e4ed1c5f15e4.jpeg

We are in for some fireworks ladies and gentlemen.

As long as Merc nail the new regulations or he’ll be Danny Ric and arriving at the title winning team a year too late.

4 minutes ago, wev said:

There was an interview on Ch4 with Gasly where he stated he was very happy being at Alpha Tauri. Now part of me says "well, he will say that to keep his seat etc" but I think you can see it in his body language and performances.

Ross Brawn has also made some comments about him being a fan of Gasly with a few "he ought to look beyond Red Bull" kind of things thrown in there too.

Alpine?

1 minute ago, Corranga said:

Albon is (was?) more impressive than Tsunoda, but I figure Red Bull are just buying time until 2023 when Liam Lawson will probably set up...

...and perhaps this was part of the deal for Honda to transfer their engine design / R&D / to Red Bull Powertrains (or whatever they are called).

I mean, possibly, but the point of having a japanese droiver for Honda is to get japanese eyeballs on a car with a Honda badge on the side, in order to help sell Hondas in japan.

With that branding gone, I'm not sure what's in it for them.

2 hours ago, RFT said:

No it is, Honda are still the engine provider next year in reality and it's still their design the 2 years after that.

Re: Russell to Merc, it's going to be very interesting. It's no coincidence that the two teammates that Lewis had no problems with are Kovalainen and Bottas, who are also the two team mates that weren't a threat to him on the vast majority of race weekends. Alonso, Button and Rosberg were much more of a threat and it's fair to say that there ended up being a lot of needle in their relationships (less so with Jenson, but it definitely was there).

Could be a true 'passing of the torch' kind of moment. We don't get those too much; I suppose Lauda to Prost at McLaren was one such moment. It's going to be very exciting!

Hamilton's a much different person though, even from the season Rosberg got luckywon the championship. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a lot more philosophical about his career and racing as a whole. Him and Vettel seem like they're really into being elder statesmen of the paddock.

I think we will see a different Lewis next year.

If George is a proper challenge (which I think he will be) expect spice. TBH I think there is no timeline where Lewis happily mentors George and hands over the reigns. It’s going to be great.

Just now, mexos said:

I think we will see a different Lewis next year.

If George is a proper challenge (which I think he will be) expect spice. TBH I think there is no timeline where Lewis happily mentors George and hands over the reigns. It’s going to be great.

Yeah this is what I think as well. Plus I think Max will see George a lot more around him on the track instead of just Lewis.

Oh yeah, fans/participants of the old RLLMUK F1 Racing League back in the day - keep an eye out for a private message sometime over the next few weeks. I'm working on a little article/retrospective that nutshells the thing as I felt the way it eventually ended never really felt like a proper send-off! Would be good to have those who raced get involved in it, although obviously you don't have to (and there won't be a time limit).

CC @Thor, @Meers, @mexos, @myoozikk, @Marmite, @Moodmon, @Picasso Of Pain, @John0. I've obviously left out a shitload of people here (some, sadly, no longer seem active on the forum) so if you raced in the league and want to throw in your thoughts, hit me up via PM's :)

10 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Oh yeah, fans/participants of the old RLLMUK F1 Racing League back in the day - keep an eye out for a private message sometime over the next few weeks. I'm working on a little article/retrospective that nutshells the thing as I felt the way it eventually ended never really felt like a proper send-off! Would be good to have those who raced get involved in it, although obviously you don't have to (and there won't be a time limit).

CC @Thor, @Meers, @mexos, @myoozikk, @Marmite, @Moodmon, @Picasso Of Pain, @John0. I've obviously left out a shitload of people here (some, sadly, no longer seem active on the forum) so if you raced in the league and want to throw in your thoughts, hit me up via PM's :)

You forgot @Boozy The Clown😅

Cool man! Looking forward to it. 😎

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

deffo!

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

You have to hand it to totto, living rent free inside horners head.

21 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Sick!! such good times, loved that League.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate