Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate

T Pot

2 minutes ago, wev said:

The King of Canada, The Unluckiest Driver, Gerhard Berger's Side Piece

Oh him, journeyman to a chumpion?

I jest, he could probably piss faster than I can and he's a lot older.

Sorry to ask but Im sure you guys have answers..haven’t been to silverstone in decades and scored free tickets for the the moto gp, any advice on getting there via the M1 approach with a car? Setting off times etc? Exit strategy as well please! 

many thanks

So the Olympics is fine with events ALL OVER THE COUNTRY but a self contained circus in ONE location with probably the best Covid event planning in the world is no good. Come on. That is bullshit.

The Olympics had too much money sunk into it for it not to happen, cancelling a GP doesn’t cost the government anything. This also means the WRC event in Japan at the end of the year is going to be cancelled as well.

4 hours ago, max renn said:

Sorry to ask but Im sure you guys have answers..haven’t been to silverstone in decades and scored free tickets for the the moto gp, any advice on getting there via the M1 approach with a car? Setting off times etc? Exit strategy as well please! 

many thanks

No idea on what Moto is like sorry. For F1 typically we would arrive very early - like 7am on the Thursday to beat the crowds and get a good camping spot.

I genuinely can't remember, but does Suzuka usually produce a good race anyway or is it just a dull train of cars?

What do we think is realistic? A 2 week gap from Turkey then a double header at Austin?

Looking through the list of Grade 1 circuits a few old and new names pop out...

Dubai Autodrome

Korea International Circuit

Kuwait Motor Town

Losail International Circuit (Qatar)

Moscow Raceway

Sepang International Circuit

Ppppfffft. How many exceptions were made for officials and athletes? My guess: lots.

Who is the promoter?

Formula One has announced that the Japanese Grand Prix will remain at Suzuka Circuit for at least the next three years. The multi-year extension between the global motorsport series and race promoter Mobilityland, a subsidiary of Honda, will see the Formula One retain the venue until the end of the 2024 season.

Honda's last season. At a track they own. At a race a subsidiary of Honda promote. And F1 couldn't come to a mutually beneficial deal with them? 

4 hours ago, max renn said:

many thanks

As mexos says, get there as early as you can. I think MotoGP uses the same traffic management system as F1 (as it's a similar sized crowd) so as soon as you get off the M1 onto the A43 you'll be signed and probably filtered off from non-silverstone traffic very early.

Check to see if your free tickets includes parking.

11 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

If the circuit can’t afford to run without spectators, that’s all on their contract with F1. 

Of course. My beef is with F1 and the Japanese government for not making it happen. They both had the power to make it work through exceptions and changing the promoters deal for this race. 

Given how much Honda have bent over backwards to hand RB an engine for the future and all their IP (a situation F1 itself benefits massively from - keeping RB competitive for championships) it leaves a bad taste in the mouth to see them miss out.

Unless of course Honda themselves were happy to cancel it, which I can't see but of course it is possible.

4 minutes ago, mexos said:

Of course. My beef is with F1 and the Japanese government for not making it happen. They both had the power to make it work through exceptions and changing the promoters deal for this race. 

Haven't the japanese government taken a load of shit for not cancelling the olympics, though? Last thing I read was that the japanese population (or maybe just tokyo area) were hugely unhappy about it (and the related covid spike).

If the Japanese popluation were happy about it going ahead then I think it would have done, but if I was a minister looking at tanking polls because I let a major internaiponal sports event go ahead in spite of local opposition, the cynical politician in me makes me think it's the sensible thing to can it, and not keep making unpopular exceptions.

40 minutes ago, RFT said:

As mexos says, get there as early as you can. I think MotoGP uses the same traffic management system as F1 (as it's a similar sized crowd) so as soon as you get off the M1 onto the A43 you'll be signed and probably filtered off from non-silverstone traffic very early.

Check to see if your free tickets includes parking.

Thanks for input guys🙂 I've got parking sorted so hopefully it's all gravy, aiming to arrive for 7am.

On 15/08/2021 at 17:16, ryodi said:

About that

https://the-race.com/formula-e/mercedes-set-to-quit-formula-e-after-2022-season/

Formula E is going to like it was at the beginning with a couple of manufacturers with the rest of the grid made up of private entries when the next gen car is released. It would be nice if the German brands that are abandoning FE will move to WRC to try out their new hybrid engine regulations, three manufacturers really isn't enough. 

Sadly confirmed

https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/18/formula-e-champions-mercedes-to-leave-after-next-season/

shame, really, am interested in seeing how FE develops over the next decade or so and the more manufacturers the better

1 hour ago, RFT said:

Haven't the japanese government taken a load of shit for not cancelling the olympics, though? Last thing I read was that the japanese population (or maybe just tokyo area) were hugely unhappy about it (and the related covid spike).

If the Japanese popluation were happy about it going ahead then I think it would have done, but if I was a minister looking at tanking polls because I let a major internaiponal sports event go ahead in spite of local opposition, the cynical politician in me makes me think it's the sensible thing to can it, and not keep making unpopular exceptions.

Yes and in fact not only did the population want it cancelled but the government did too. Believe it or not, it was not up to them. They wanted to cancel / postpone it but the Olympic commission refused and forced it to go ahead. 

47 minutes ago, SMD said:

Sadly confirmed

https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/18/formula-e-champions-mercedes-to-leave-after-next-season/

shame, really, am interested in seeing how FE develops over the next decade or so and the more manufacturers the better

I think part of the problem for these big manufacturing companies is due to FE essentially being a spec series, they can't develop their own technology that can then filter down to their sports & road cars (whether it's the physical technology or the learning behind it). So as far as they are concerned, what's the point in spending a load of money just to slap their name on a car that is pretty similar to the other teams.

49 minutes ago, wev said:

Except it's not a spec series. Their electric motors, for instance, are developed by the manufacturers. 

Ah really? I didn't realise that. I know it started out as a spec series but didn't realise it had changed it.

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

I think part of the problem for these big manufacturing companies is due to FE essentially being a spec series, they can't develop their own technology that can then filter down to their sports & road cars (whether it's the physical technology or the learning behind it). So as far as they are concerned, what's the point in spending a load of money just to slap their name on a car that is pretty similar to the other teams.

Maybe they're off to WEC with the hypercar project?

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

The chassis is standardised I think in FE. 

I find FE very entertaining, seems to have a bad reputation among the sort of people who just want to hear a really loud engine of course.

A lot of people do seem to miss the extreme noise of F1 past. Personally, I prefer the comparatively muted current version. At any rate, You Tube recommended the London E-prix, so I gave it a watch. I must need to watch more of it to be able to appreciate it I think, because this looks woefully bad to me. At first it made me laugh, but then I just thought it was so tame and lame. I genuinely feel that I could drive in this race and do as well as anyone else. That we all could. Now that would be a ton of fun. 

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #WingGate