Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!

T Pot

I approach Monaco as if Saturday is the race and Sunday the victory parade, which makes it an altogether more enjoyable weekend. 

TBH I watch the Monaco race the same way I watch free practice. It’s some cars going around, which I like but I don’t need to pay full attention to all the time. I’ll browse a bit, make some food. Occasionally something exciting  happens and MAYBE the race director won’t cut away from it. 

9 hours ago, wev said:

You'd think that but the team's always find a way. Even without the lack of space the drivers were complaining they couldn't follow each other when 1.8 seconds seperated them.

Ban Wings, enforce the cars to be one smooth surface to remove bargeboards and winglets.

Of course reason 1 that won't happen is 4 of the most expensive sponsor locations are in that list I just gave.

That wouldn't help cars not being able to pass. 

The problem i think, is the cars are just too similar to each other and to powerful. There's nowhere to get a run on the car in front. So it's just follow my leader all day. whenever they show that Senna v Mansell clip and gush over how amazing it was, i always think, "well the reanimated corpse of my dearly departed grandmother, could have kept Nigel behind her in her Twingo". It just proves the lack of overtaking the place has. Its not an example of titans of sport dueling it out, it one car following another being unable to pass because its a shit track. 

But F1 is nothing if not about the money. And as long as rich folk want to park their boat up and pretend to like motor racing, Monaco will exist.

51 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

That wouldn't help cars not being able to pass. 

The problem i think, is the cars are just too similar to each other and to powerful. There's nowhere to get a run on the car in front. So it's just follow my leader all day. whenever they show that Senna v Mansell clip and gush over how amazing it was, i always think, "well the reanimated corpse of my dearly departed grandmother, could have kept Nigel behind her in her Twingo". It just proves the lack of overtaking the place has. Its not an example of titans of sport dueling it out, it one car following another being unable to pass because its a shit track. 

But F1 is nothing if not about the money. And as long as rich folk want to park their boat up and pretend to like motor racing, Monaco will exist.

Agree completely but since there is no easy solution to overtaking it is really only pit stops can provide any drama. After the first pit stops were done and everyone was on hard tyres I knew the race was probably over unless we had a crash/safety which sadly never happened. 

It does also seem like the drivers actually really enjoy the different challenge of it.  Unless they’re lying.  It seems to take a lot more mental focus and concentration than other circuits.  

Basically the only people it’s crap for is us at home.

Max Mosely has died :( 

I know he was a man that divided opinions but, say what you want about him, we have a lot more living former (and probably even current) racing drivers today than we would have had. I think the sport is the better for having had him.

RIP Max.

14 hours ago, layten said:

RIP you crazy Nazi Sex Dungeon fiend.

I asked my son if he knew who Max Mosley was. He said “he was the FIA President who, in 2005 threaten sanctions against the Michelin teams at the US Grand Prix” 

which I still don’t fully understand myself.

I said “that’s funny, is he known for anything else?”

”no”

“Three words son: sex dungeon nazi”

So thanks for that...

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm beginning to think SeanR doesn't actually have a son. It's what he calls Wikipedia.

well then, Wikipedia just cost me £45 for a passport renewal for our trips to Monaco and Barcelona next year (to visit the tracks, not for the races, I should add). 

His mother’s idea...

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It wasn't the gearbox, but a crack in a driveshaft hub, caused by the crash.

One for the "no fucking shit" department there.

I find it flabbergasting that the didn’t just remove everything connected to the gearbox for checking or replacing. They had time. Pretty sure they would have been allowed to do it on safety grounds too.

You would have thought having to rebuild the right hand side of the car would have been enough to spot that sort of thing. I think they said they couldn't crack the gearbox open because of Parc Ferme rules, but a drive shaft must be a replaceable part after a crash. Clearly not, however. 

Marc Priestley on his youtube said they would be allowed to pull the gearbox to bits even under park ferme, just need to have the inspector there (and there is one for each car) and obv if anything is found then it is a process to ensure replacement parts are identical (tho with gearbox maybe changing internal bits is not possible, but for inspection I guess it would be ok)

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

well then, Wikipedia just cost me £45 for a passport renewal for our trips to Monaco and Barcelona next year (to visit the tracks, not for the races, I should add). 

Google’s idea...

ftfy

Let's pretend for a moment the budget cap isn't more full of holes than my tyres after crashing into the lobby of "Jimmy's spike emporium".  You'd think once there's a budget cap you could relax a lot of the cost saving rules.

Have a safety car!  Have 2! Have 16(Good afternoon Mr Mazepin)!  Why not?  Of course that's coming out of the budget you're also supposed to be using to develop quicker than a soft drink on wheels.

I can see Ferrari’s thinking, if they had to take the 10 place penalty then all the pace in the world wasn’t going to get him near the podium, let alone the win.

This was their only reasonable chance to win a race this year so it was worth the gamble.

They could have checked the drive shaft hubs without incurring a penalty surely?

A decent mechanic working a bloody Corsa would check the full axle assembly after a minor crash, it's mad the Ferrari F1 team didn't.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!
  • Kryptonian changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - Can we be nice?