Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!

T Pot

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

Are we assuming the midfield teams don’t want to score points nowadays then? AT, and other team in the grid were taking that opportunity all day long given the gaps to the car behind, regardless of who their sister team is.

Yep, Gasly was over 30 seconds behind Alonso and more than a pit stop ahead of Tsunoda. It was a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Nothing says real races like appealing to Daddy BoP whenever you're not quick enough.

Dare you to post that. He's blocking anyone that disagrees with him.

Incidentally (and only because I am currently doing the same) - if folks are looking to delve back to older, full races, I have an alternate suggestion.

YouTube currently has, from what I can see, complete CART seasons from between 1983 until the mid 2000's. This includes what I consider to be the 'golden era' between 1991 and 1999. Amazing, brutally powerful cars on complete mixture of circuit types and with a whole bunch of different driver personalities. Mears! Emmo! Fat Nigel! Al Unser Jr! Pre-F1 Jacques Villeneuve! Alex Zanardi!

If anyone would like a taster, I'd suggest the 1998 Long Beach Grand Prix or the utterly bonkers 1997 Portland Grand Prix

Plus, you get to sample the all-too-brief career of Greg Moore, who was my favourite driver between 1996 and 1999. I've just watched a race where he got into a full-blooded powerslide coming out of a turn on an oval. Guy was a legend, as anyone who could flip the bird at Juan Pablo Montoya whilst going at 230mph would be.

b682mlfn1wv31.jpg

1 hour ago, mexos said:

That is quite literally WTF F1.

Also never, ever going to happen.

As somone pointed out on the Midweek Motorsport Podcast: Canadian man says to the Canadian media that a Canadian should be in the best car.

8 minutes ago, RFT said:

As somone pointed out on the Midweek Motorsport Podcast: Canadian man says to the Canadian media that a Canadian should be in the best car.

AHHH.

That JV. Smart. 

On 03/08/2021 at 15:05, kiroquai said:

A subscription to F1TV’s general Access tier (about £3 a month) will gain you access to an archive of all races since 1981, although only selected ones are full and most of the older ones pre-2000 are usually highlights packages between 40-minutes and 15-minutes long. As an example of this, out of 17 races in 1997, 6 have full race options.

Looks to me like all races from 2007 onwards are available in full, and recent seasons also have qualifying and practice available to watch in full too.

Highly recommended giving it a go - I’ve always felt that it is good value for the amount it costs.

Thank you again for this! We went with £20 for the year, and started off with the 2007 season.  

Just finished the first race. Totally fascinating for so many reasons lol. 

Wow. This season has had some real big moments. Brilliant viewing. Currently in Germany where it’s pissing it down for the race lol.
Best part is you can fast forward when it’s rather dull. 

Hamilton’s first season; as an underdog and not in the best car, has been brilliant to watch. I’d recommend it to anyone who has a problem with him for a bit of humble pie. 

I think the Mclaren that year was pretty damn good. The team had been on a roll for a couple of year and Alonso was expected to drop in and win. 

Then the whole ferrari technical document thing kicks off and Lewis turned out to be a force or nature and well, the final race in Brazil is just amazing. 

The highlight of the season for me was Alonso driving past the pit wall in America and literally throwing his toys out of the pram at the team. It was hilarious to watch. 

16 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Wow. This season has had some real big moments. Brilliant viewing. Currently in Germany where it’s pissing it down for the race lol.
Best part is you can fast forward when it’s rather dull. 

Hamilton’s first season; as an underdog and not in the best car, has been brilliant to watch. I’d recommend it to anyone who has a problem with him for a bit of humble pie. 

I'd say the 2007 was the equal of the Ferrari, especially given their.... help.

2008-Present Lewis would have won that championship though. He would not have made the mistakes in Canada and China, and avoiding either one would be enough.  And it's that kind of thing plus quite a lot of being average in the last decade that's kinda always made me put Alonso a level below the likes of Schumacher and Hamilton.

Making good choices, the way you operate / integrate with the team / get them pulling for you etc. It's all a huge part of being a complete F1 driver. So yeah Alonso had the capability and the talent to do it but I too would mark him down as he has clearly failed at a lot of the soft/ non driving parts of being an F1 driver. He also made terrible career decisions.

His potential could have seen him deny Schu, Lewis and Seb a lot of success... There is an alternate universe out there where he drives to the same standard as he does in our timeline, but took a different approach to off track activity and he's got 8 or 9 championships in the bag.

Absolutely I think that's where he's ultimately lacking.  Schumacher and Hamilton can galvanise a team in a way I'm not sure Alonso can.  And certainly he's had the chances to prove it.

Same in MotoGP actually Marquez can win as much as he likes but he's not gonna match Rossi for me until he does it for someone else as well.

EDIT : To develop the thought, they had the same situation in 2007 and Alonso had the advantage of just winning 2 titles and Hamiton's a rookie.  A stronger Alonso with those skills could easily have "swapped" careers with Hamilton from that point.  There is a world absolutely where the lack of those skills leaves Hamilton being, essentially, Coulthard.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'd say the 2007 was the equal of the Ferrari, especially given their.... help.

2008-Present Lewis would have won that championship though. He would not have made the mistakes in Canada and China, and avoiding either one would be enough.  And it's that kind of thing plus quite a lot of being average in the last decade that's kinda always made me put Alonso a level below the likes of Schumacher and Hamilton.

Spoilers!!??  :( 

15 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It was 14 years ago, and you already know he doesn't win the championship.

If we can't talk about 2007 we can't talk about literally anything that ever happened in F1.

I didn’t know the results of the championship. I don’t have it to memory which ones he won and which he didn’t. At Germany he’s currently leading the championship. 

I didn’t say you couldn’t talk about F1. But when I specifically say I’ve downloaded an app that’s allowing me to watch whole seasons (because I’ve only been watching for a few years) and I’m really enjoying it, I don’t understand why you’d then double down on your right to announce the result and talk about specific races when I literally say what race I’m on. Especially when I make it clear it upset me. 

Whatever. Don’t tell me what I do and don’t know. 

The thing is, you're talking about one of the best years for both on and off track action. 2007 was a classic year and if you watched it the time its very difficult to not talk about the many highlights. 

2008 runs it pretty close for action too I'm afraid.

Sorry you're just dead wrong on this we can't not talk about random seasons of F1 in the F1 thread because one of the 100 odd people reading might be watching it on something.

It'd be like not talking about Thatcher in the politics thread in case someone was watching the crown.

Nah it's a bit shitty to have read that someone is actively looking back on previous seasons, specifies a particular season they're watching and then reply to them telling them the key points from that season.

Your The Crown example doesn't really work as well as you think it does @Dudley

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

It'd be like not talking about Thatcher in the politics thread in case someone was watching the crown.

Wouldn't it be more like reading that someone was watching a very specific bit of The Crown, assuming that they already knew what happened, and then talking about the future events of that specific bit whilst quoting them directly?

Of course we can't ban talking about certain past events but I think just a little bit of courtesy and conscientiousness in this specific situation is all that's being asked for.

13 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

The thing is, you're talking about one of the best years for both on and off track action. 2007 was a classic year and if you watched it the time its very difficult to not talk about the many highlights. 

2008 runs it pretty close for action too I'm afraid.

1. eww!

2. ITV

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!
  • Kryptonian changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - Can we be nice?