Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!

T Pot

Surely unlapping is a complete waste of time when you need a 3 second gap to not get blue flags waved at you, or do then not wave providing you are quicker than the 'lapping' car?

1 minute ago, GwiDan said:

Maybe they should stick to delivering parcels not predictions. 

Their assessment of their ability there isn't massively more accurate.

Just now, Corranga said:

Surely unlapping is a complete waste of time when you need a 3 second gap to not get blue flags waved at you, or do then not wave providing you are quicker than the 'lapping' car?

Another of my arguments against blue flags and you're right of course, I'm pretty certain someone's been penalised for unlapping themselves and not immediately letting them back past before.

9 minutes ago, Corranga said:

If they pit Ham, Red Bull will then pit Max on the next lap, and he'll score the extra point for fastest lap. 

That said, Merc could pit Ham on the penultimate lap to try to take the fastest lap unless they fear the pitstop mistake.

:sherlock:

Crofty talking shit about new tyres and rain being their thinking :facepalm:

1 minute ago, ryodi said:

If you unlap yourself and don’t get out of blue flag range which I think is 1.5s you’ll get blue flagged again.

Which is essentially impossible to do between 2 flag stations.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

A driving masterclass from Max there. 

and Hamilton really, both a pitstop and a half ahead of their team mates.

Only 2 teams on the lead lap at the end too, though of course it's a short lap.

I don’t think Merc can do anything about this. With the cost cap and other things, I just can’t see where they get this performance back. Noticed they’re a bit suspicious of Honda for stealthing a definitely-not-allowed performance update into their last upgrade.

More likely is that the gradual loss of senior and important staff from Merc since about 2018 due to various internal reasons has finally caught up with them.

Charles getting driver of the day kinda covers up that he misjudged the size/position of his car a couple of times, ruining Gasly’s race on lap one and somehow not ruining Kimi and his own (again) later on.

1 minute ago, kiroquai said:

Charles getting driver of the day kinda covers up that he misjudged the size/position of his car a couple of times, ruining Gasly’s race on lap one and somehow not ruining Kimi and his own (again) later on.

The cars are too big anyway...  ;)

53 minutes ago, ryodi said:

You get five flags before you get a penalty don’t you? Plenty of time to make the gap if it’s fast enough.

3. There are 16 marshal posts in a lap at Austria.

So you need to be 9 seconds a lap faster to unlap yourself and not risk a penalty from idiot race direction.

I assume there is some leeway. If the car that has unlapped itself is lapping faster than the car it has just overtaken they aren't going to blue flag it. Sainz didn't get any blue flags when he got past Hamilton did he?

Time for blue flags to do one. 

This race was a classic 90’s bore fest. Massive gaps between leading cars. Overall this year has been great but next year could be more like this race with the new regs spreading the field out more.

Kill the blue flags and at least it will add a bit of spice here and there when the leaders pick their way through.

11 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I assume there is some leeway. If the car that has unlapped itself is lapping faster than the car it has just overtaken they aren't going to blue flag it. Sainz didn't get any blue flags when he got past Hamilton did he?

Like I say, depends on race direction, I've seen people get them immediately, would you want to risk it?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Like I say, depends on race direction, I've seen people get them immediately, would you want to risk it?

It's only a 10 second time penalty for ignoring blue flags so depending on what was around you it might be worst the risk. Although Hamilton let Sainz overtake by the looks of it at and I don't think it happens very often due to how much faster the top two are compared to the rest of the field. 

Next week is going to be a massacre. The softest tyres in the heat is going to see both Red Bull's disappear over the horizon. 

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Overall this year has been great but next year could be more like this race with the new regs spreading the field out more.

Thank goodness you're terrible at predicting F1 outcomes. ;)

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

Thank goodness you're terrible at predicting F1 outcomes. ;)

My hit rate is not too bad. 

As far as the bet… You might have the qually in the bag but I’m still expecting some Max dnfs and more sweet 25 pointers for SP. 

Barring Mercedes finding the bag of concrete Redbull have hidden under Hamiltons seat, I think this year is done. The redbull is fast on the long circuits and the tight twisty ones. And it looks to be keeping the tyres alive longer.

If I was Toto I'd be sacking this year off too. They can't really make the car better with the cost cap and they have to get next years car right. Or risk spending the next ten years playing second fiddle to whomever does build the best car. 

The cost cap has effectively sealed the fate of this season and its going to become more pronounced going forward. They can't spend money to find performance now. The car that rolls out on day one is going to be it really. 

So yeah, dull race up front really. 

Lando continues to impress, he knew he wasn't racing Perez or Bottas so let them go. Picked up the best result he could. 

Ricky continues to disappoint. I mean, I always though he was just a mouthy ozzy who was prepared to dive bomb the smallest of gaps. But this is now just embarrassing. 

Ferrari are a complete mystery. The tyres are either bang on the money or falling apart, It's wired. They can be nowhere then suddenly the class of the field. 

Young Charlie spent a lot of last year over driving the car and binning it early on. Now with this mystery car he's over driving it again until the tyres come to him. Then he's great. Sainz meanwhile is nursing the car on the crap tyres and picking up the results. Like Ricky he's struggling in a new team. But not as badly. 

Renault are still rubbish. Alonso might have turned the corner, brushed the dust off, but the car isn't anything special. 

Ocon continues to blow hot and cold. Merc dodged a Bottas Mk2 there. 

Alpha Tauri have a pretty good car, but they also have Tsunoda who isn't all he was cracked up to be. He really needed another year in F2. Gasly, meanwhile, is going to be this generation's Hulk. Never quite in the right car at the right time to capitalise on his talents. 

Aston, are hamstrung with a car that doesn't have the best engine anymore. Vettel a having a better year than I expected. Not having the Italian media holding a magnifying glass over his head 24/7 seems to suit him. Stroll continues to demonstrate why his father bought him an f1 team to play with. He can race when it all falls into place, but qualifying is still pitiful. 

Alfa romeo. During the more dull moments of each race, I like let my mind ruminate as to just what filth kimi is using to blackmail Peter Sauber with. What is so dangerous to the Alfa board that they are quite prepared to let a lazy 'couldn't give a shit half the time' driver to tool round each week doing nothing. Oh sure there are moments when the kimi of old hints at the glory days, then 'puff', gone like a front wing end plate on the back of a passing Ferrari. 

There a while weekends where I have to check the results of practice 1 to 3 to be sure that Alfa actually turned up. 

I suspect Giovinazzi is doing sudukos in the car during the mid race phase. Or possibly Hikaru, he looks whimsical enough. 

Williams. Oddly not terrible.

But only because Hass are using 98% of last years car. 

Russell is in grave danger of being forgotten by Mercedes. Would you really take him ahead of a Gasly or Perez. Both of whom are notionally available next year. And he also sufferers from that very worst of f1 driver ailments, he's unlucky. Hamilton in large part is a seven times world champion because when it all went wrong for him, it strangely all worked out for the best. 

Look at Baku. Until Max hit the wall he was going to be, what, 15 point worse off. And yes ultimately he didn't win. But he ended the race no worse off than when he started on a circuit they had struggled on all weekend. 

But Russell doesn't have any of that sort of luck. Every time he's on for points, it all falls apart. That sort of thing follows a driver around. 

So Hass then. Demonstrating that all the Russian money in the world can't make a 2 year old car go any faster. Mickey Jnr is keeping his head down and not really quickening the pulse, quite vague really. But Mazepin, well, he's reckless, arrogant, stupid and completely loving his role as panto villain. The thing is, you remember he's in the race. "Has he spun it yet?" is better than "was he in the race" like you do with Kimi. He's not hitting things like Leclerec is. He's never going to trouble the person that puts the national anthem CD on at the end of the race, but I'll happily watch him try. 

So there you go. If anyone can stop Redbull putting their ribbons in the cup this year, it's Lewis, but I think it's going to be an uphill job. 

It is starting to feel like Redbull’s to lose now.  Mercedes can just about make a race of it at the moment but don’t look like they have an answer if Redbull take another step forward, which history tells us they probably will.

All that said Mercedes have probably made the right choice in focusing so heavily on next year, they know the importance of getting the foundations of a new era of car right from the beginning based on the last seven years.  It’s easy to forget how dominant Redbull were before the hybrids and only now do they look like being a contender for the title rather than the odd win at a track that suits their car.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!
  • Kryptonian changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - Can we be nice?