IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

15 minutes ago, Arc'Tan'Gent said:

Possibly the most boring race I've ever watched. Spent most of it wondering why Sam Beckett never made it home in Quantum Leap.

I renewed my son's passport

and forgot how apostrophes work...

3 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Monaco as an event is amazing. The race itself isn’t so much, but as a getting together of car and racing enthusiasts, there’s nothing like it. 

I like Monaco but think they have to junk it with the current size of the cars. It is literally impossible to pass and is no longer an actual 'race' event. 

I like it as a showcase of the drivers ability, it's not been a "proper" race for as long as I remember. Alot of its key stats remain fairly static apart from the anomaly that was 96. Some of the camera angles don't give you an idea of how technical it is either, there's alot of focus on the hairpin but the two corners before that always scared me when I was playing it on Gran Turismo 3 as, iirc, they're quite blind and tight and very, very easy to get wrong. Likewise the corner straight after the hairpin has claimed some very famous scalps over the years but we're always given a long shot.

I'm not suggesting the footage should be all on-board, but it always looks so much better when the cameras are, well, onboard.

17 minutes ago, wev said:

I like it as a showcase of the drivers ability, it's not been a "proper" race for as long as I remember. Alot of its key stats remain fairly static apart from the anomaly that was 96. Some of the camera angles don't give you an idea of how technical it is either, there's alot of focus on the hairpin but the two corners before that always scared me when I was playing it on Gran Turismo 3 as, iirc, they're quite blind and tight and very, very easy to get wrong. Likewise the corner straight after the hairpin has claimed some very famous scalps over the years but we're always given a long shot.

I'm not suggesting the footage should be all on-board, but it always looks so much better when the cameras are, well, onboard.

Perhaps, but this year the only retirements were technical issues. If it is a test of the driver's ability then the test is too easy these days. And we've got Mazepan racing this year. 

43 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I like Monaco but think they have to junk it with the current size of the cars. It is literally impossible to pass and is no longer an actual 'race' event. 

I wonder how slow you really could go and not get passed now.

25 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Perhaps, but this year the only retirements were technical issues. If it is a test of the driver's ability then the test is too easy these days. And we've got Mazepan racing this year. 

Fair. He can't spin if there's no room to spin

24 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm honestly surprised Hamilton wasn't just left out as a spoiler car. In the end probably wouldn't have done him any harm. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Danny Ric won in 2018 when his MGU-K failed and lost him 25% of his engine power and Max couldn't get past when Hamilton had dead tyres in 2019. 

Got an idea. How about a chargeable boost where it only fills up if you're off the racing line? Like those boost points they have in Formula E? I know it's another gimmick but if people want more and more overtaking then we can't rely on the teams to provide the car designs to create that as it goes against the entire concept of designing these cars in the first place.

1 minute ago, ryodi said:

Danny Ric won in 2018 when his MGU-K failed and lost him 25% of his engine power and Max couldn't get past when Hamilton had dead tyres in 2019. 

Yeah it was that Danny Ric one (worth about 150hp as I recall) I was thinking. But I'm wondering in a pure seconds a lap sense, especially if you still have your brakes and initially acceleration.

Just now, wev said:

Got an idea. How about a chargeable boost where it only fills up if you're off the racing line? Like those boost points they have in Formula E? I know it's another gimmick but if people want more and more overtaking then we can't rely on the teams to provide the car designs to create that as it goes against the entire concept of designing these cars in the first place.

Easier just to make it so aerodynamics are less effective.

You'd think that but the team's always find a way. Even without the lack of space the drivers were complaining they couldn't follow each other when 1.8 seconds seperated them.