IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

I usually do my click and collect shopping on Sundays in the 3.30-4pm slot, until Imola where I had somehow got it into my thick skull that it was 4-4.30 (after they close...) and the guy rings me at 4.10 saying “err, you want your shopping? You’re watching the Grand Prix huh?”

I now collect on Saturdays on race weekends.

Looks great, I do love a Gulf livery, would like to see what it's like with orange wheels but either way they should keep it.

Plus one for the McLaren F1 GTR, one of my all-time favourites.

I love it, but the orange on the nose is too wide. They should definitely make it permanent though. I don’t really understand the idea of making a one off livery that’s “better” than the usual one. 

12 hours ago, JPR said:

Looks great, I do love a Gulf livery, would like to see what it's like with orange wheels but either way they should keep it.

Plus one for the McLaren F1 GTR, one of my all-time favourites.

IMG_20210517_065718.thumb.jpg.24229a2a9b083a7dfd288793ca60c5f8.jpg

Nicked from Reddit, in case you haven't seen it. Looks great.

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don’t run an F1 team, but I suspect there would be different people working on those things. Probably not a huge crossover in aero or engine people with graphic design. 

Thanks for that revelation. I thought it was one guy who did everything. 

5 hours ago, Blue said:

Thanks for that revelation. I thought it was one guy who did everything. 

Although there is still a bit of a link; I remember them once mentioning how they’d managed to develop a lighter paint (back in their “chrome” days) which then allowed more of that weight to be redistributed elsewhere on the car into preferable spots! If they don’t have a similarly hi tech light blue this could cost them a few fractions of a second :lol: which could actually be a reason they only have the scheme at Monaco :ph34r:

I think that was 2006, and it was made utterly hilarious due to the fact that, after month upon month of careful development of said paint and work on their new chrome livery, the then Midland F1 team (now Aston Martin) ended up having a paint scheme that made their car look pretty much identical to the McLaren on telly.

Ron Dennis was apparently utterly livid.

9 hours ago, Agent L said:

Nicked from Reddit, in case you haven't seen it. Looks great.

Thanks, it does looks great. We need more coloured wheels, you know what to do Ferrari (well current livery suggests maybe not.)

On 16/05/2021 at 18:25, LowCostMonkey said:

It, they, really do look gorgeous.

mclaren2.png

It’s gorgeous, but......STOP FUCKING CHANGING THINGS. 

Couple of years in and I was pretty much able to look at a car, name the driver, and make an educated offhand piece of commentary. I’d least remember the blasted team. 

Now it’s all bloody change and swapsiewoos and my poor brain has melted :( 

I’m quite happy with the teams doing one offs like this. Even with drivers swapping helmets here or there in places like Monaco.

But if you are going to do all that you gotta help us out.

If you are not going to have the same helmet and livery every race then I think it’s time to have a standardised number position and font on each car. Like that GTR in the pic above, a white square or circle with the number in black over the top.  I’d prefer not to have this. But the teams are already taking the piss with the font choices and placement of the number. Williams, McLaren, Alfa are good examples. It doesn’t help us.

In the past I could instantly tell a car and driver from the car and helmet. Today it’s impossible. Try telling the AT drivers apart from a distance. 

7 hours ago, NexivRed said:

It’s gorgeous, but......STOP FUCKING CHANGING THINGS. 

Couple of years in and I was pretty much able to look at a car, name the driver, and make an educated offhand piece of commentary. I’d least remember the blasted team. 

Now it’s all bloody change and swapsiewoos and my poor brain has melted :( 

I think they are only allowed to change it once a year for an anniversary of some kind, the base livery that is, they can of course add sponsors etc. through the season.

I think the helmet rules are similar.

Indy Car is a completely different story though.  Some teams have 3 or 4 cars, all in different liveries, the same driver can change livery (full livery, including the colour of the car) from race to race and not all drivers do all of the races, in fact, sometimes the same car, including livery AND number is being driver by a different driver (some only do ovals), I think there has even been a driver who competes for 2 different teams, with different numbers  in 1 season based on ovals vs. road courses.

Last year, they did a stacked weekend at an oval, with a race on Saturday and again on Sunday, the commentators were talking about how the team were really committed to their racing as they were up past midnight wrapping the car in it's new livery.

Formula 2 is also batshit. Whilst some teams will run both cars in the same livery (Prema for example). Other teams not only run cars in different liveries to each other but they can also be the same livery as the other car from another team. It wasn't until after my first year of watching that I realised that the 2 Red Bull liveried cars were actually cars from 2 different team

To be fair, in all those series if you don't allow them to do that, you're going to lose a lot of cars.

And they're not the only ones.  LCR in MotoGP have 2 different sponsored bikes and one of them changes most rounds, without that you wouldn't have an LCR most likely.

Even dafter in Moto2 (which if you don't know is exactly what you just guessed it is) where Speed Up are the absolute masters of flogging their livery to random people each race, including title sponsorship, so are listed on wikipedia thusly.

image.png.760ab9ad8caf85db1dcf1ea4e06acb56.png

That's a 2 bike team over one year.

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

I think there has even been a driver who competes for 2 different teams, with different numbers  in 1 season based on ovals vs. road courses.

Oh this kind of thing certainly happens.

This year for instance Max Chilton at Carlin is doing road courses + The Indy 500. (a slightly weird decision given the Indy 500 is the dangerous one but whatev).

In the 3 other Oval races, Conor Daly has his car.  But Conor is also doing the  Indy 500 in a 3rd Ed Carpenter racing car alongside Ed Carpenter himself who only does ovals, in the road courses his car is driven by.... Conor Daly.

So Conor is doing the whole season. 12 races in the #20 for Ed Carpenter Racing, 1 in the #47 for Ed Carpenter racing and 3 in the #59 for Carlin.

Also Andretti are running SIX cars at the Indy 500, you can't ask them to have all of those in the same livery.  In addition one of them is entered as "Andretti Steinbrenner" and another (and take a deep breath) is "Andretti Herta-Haupert Autosport w/ Marco Andretti & Curb-Agajanian"

--

Ooh which means I could move onto a brief note about "badge engineering" entrants.  Like a title sponsor in F1 but gone mad.

In the Indy 500 there's an entry for Paretta Autosport.  But that's just a 5th Penske car really.

It's even madder at LeMans where you'll see two cars entered as "G-Drive Racing". They are not teammates.

But one of the G-Drives is run by a team called TDS who do have another car in the race.... entered as "Racing Team Nederland".

AF Corse run 4 Ferraris in GT.  Oh but they also run "MR Racing" and "Spirit of Race".

The reasons for all this shithousery are complex but part of it is that entries to LeMans are granted to winners elsewhere (IMSA/Euro series/Asian Series) and are sometimes traded or teams contracted to help out Asian teams that can't move their whole operation to France.