Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

14 minutes ago, mexos said:

If I was Toto, when Lewis calls it a day I’d go leftfield and poach Lando. Yeah it might be spicy alongside Rus but damn... 

I think Lando is the real deal. Russ is over driving a bad car, which is fine on Saturday. But Sunday is what pays the bills. Whilst Lando has calmed it down and really stepped up. 

To put Bottas performance into context. Lewis went past Max just as easily. Bottas made one mistake that let Max through and then kept him honest. He got the fastest lap (legally) and both he and Max were only beaten by a man winning his 97th GP. 

I think Bottas gets a bit too much abuse for being beaten by possibly the best driver we've ever seen. Sure he's never going to win a championship, but that's because he's racing against Hamilton. 

17 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

To put Bottas performance into context. Lewis went past Max just as easily. Bottas made one mistake that let Max through and then kept him honest. He got the fastest lap (legally) and both he and Max were only beaten by a man winning his 97th GP. 

I think Bottas gets a bit too much abuse for being beaten by possibly the best driver we've ever seen. Sure he's never going to win a championship, but that's because he's racing against Hamilton. 

It still means he's not good enough.

47 minutes ago, mexos said:

Seb is going to wrap it up at the end of the year isn’t he. He sounds tired.

You know I could see AM going for Bottas when he does.

I reckon Bottas and Russell will fill a Merc and Aston seat each. Not sure which way around - hope it’s Bottas in the Aston.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Did you see Imola?  Where he barely made the top 10 and then got in an incident with the 9th fastest car?

He’s simply never going to beat Lewis in a straight WDC fight in the same car, a WDC worthy car.

He’ll pick up the odd win, but the rest of the time... damn. It must be hard on him. 

If he gets an approach from another team it must be tempting. Make the pain stop. Enjoy your racing a bit more, beat or even dominate your team mate. Of course that also means giving up on picking up those odd wins. Forever. So he signs another of those soul crushing 1 year deals.

Look at Danny Ric. If he knew what he knows now I bet he would never have left RB. Yeah he was the man at Renault which must have felt good + the cash but... now that he is maybe forever outside of a top seat... will he ever win another race? Maybe. Will it be only because it was a crazy race and like Pierre he was in the right place? Probably.

Choose the pain of losing to Max and seeing him get the attention more often that not but you still get to win every so often? Or see out your prime years hoping to sneak a 3rd place. Ouch. He should have stayed.

Bottas should cling on till the end while he has access to a race winning car. Which is exactly what he’s doing. His one chance will be that he’s still in play for one more year post Ham’s retirement.

Yeah it's hard to guage but Schumacher's been quietly getting on with his job well in a very tough situation. Obviously I'm no fan of Mazapin and I know he's controversial on track as well as off but he wasn't thaaat bad in F2, in terms of pace. He won two feature races last year and finished ahead of Zhou and some other strong drivers. And Mick is destroying him so far.

There are rumblings that pace in F2 might be slightly skewed by people with deeper pockets getting fresher parts each round. I know Callum Ilott and Guiliano Alesi mentioned things along those lines earlier this year. Wouldn’t surprise me if Mazapin Jr was getting parts that contributed somewhat to his competitive performances.

Not entirely, of course. You still have to be reasonably decent to win in F2. I just think he’s ill-prepared mentally and physically for what F1 requires from a driver.

50 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

I know he’s got a numpty as a teammate, but I’ve been quietly impressed by Mickey Schu so far. He seems to be doing a good job in a very, very average car.

Yup he’s doing very nicely. He seems like a very nice bloke too. Maybe a little too nice. While letting the leaders through he was maybe too polite, losing time in the process.

In the end it didn’t matter as he passed NL, but it shows the type character he is. In stark contrast look at sex offender chopping up Perez when leading. 

He’ll learn quickly. I’m secretly rooting for him.

18 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

There are rumblings that pace in F2 might be slightly skewed by people with deeper pockets getting fresher parts each round. I know Callum Ilott and Guiliano Alesi mentioned things along those lines earlier this year. Wouldn’t surprise me if Mazapin Jr was getting parts that contributed somewhat to his competitive performances.

Not entirely, of course. You still have to be reasonably decent to win in F2. I just think he’s ill-prepared mentally and physically for what F1 requires from a driver.

I can’t say I’m surprised if this is true. It’s funny how the Stroll hate seems to have died down since offender turned up. He’s like a sponge to soak it up. Not a pantomime villain, a proper one.

Give it to Stroll. Maybe he is there originally because of money but right now, he’s half decent and far from the last to be picked on the grid.

If I was picking a team out of the current crop to get results next year he’d get picked before... Latifi, Raikonen, Offender, Maybe Gio and Tsu (jury is out on Tsu. Is he a crasher? Will he gain consistency by next year? I’m not convinced yet). Even though it’s pains me to say it I’d pick Stroll right now before Seb. :ph34r:  

Who could have predicted Bottled-Ass would, well, bottle it? Any fight he ever had has completely gone, and he's barely even functioning as a reliable #2. The C4 commentator made alot of his tyres being new and squirming everywhere but Verstappen was all over the track too and still managed to pass him, he just has no ability to make his car wide (without dithering and putting the overtaking driver into a position where an accident is likely to happen).

DC described his restart as being "mighty" and yeah, it was, but he could have cost the team points and after Wolff's dig at Russell after the last race, he ought to be having a go at his own driver.

Id be very, very disappointed if he gets another year at Mercedes

Also, I hope Hamilton sticks it out long enough for Max to commit to Red Bull into their engine manufacturer phase and give Russell the opportunity to make sure Max doesn't get in that seat. I still don't want him to win a WDC.

30 minutes ago, wev said:

DC described his restart as being "mighty" and yeah, it was, but he could have cost the team points and after Wolff's dig at Russell after the last race, he ought to be having a go at his own driver.

What? He wasn't to know that Hamilton, in his own words,  picked that second to take his eyes off Valteri to look for max in his mirrors and be slow to react to Bottas' restart. Not to mention that it was his job to get the jump on Lewis and everyone else, just as Lewis or any other driver in his position would be trying to do. 

I hadn't heard Hamilton say that. So I'll retract my comments on the restart.

Still don't think he's done a good job of being a number 2 driver in what has been a dominant car for the majority of his time at Mercedes though

I think you're being harsh on Bottas. He had the usual garbage Mercedes pit stop (3.3s compared to 2.5 for Hamilton) which left him at he mercy of Max whose hard tyres were already up to temp. Mercedes even warned Hamilton on the radio it would take half a lap for the tyres to get to temp and Bottas probably would have stayed ahead if he'd had a decent pit stop but he was closing the gap to Max until his engine sensor problem.

Russell had another Sunday that was nothing to talk about

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Yup he’s doing very nicely. He seems like a very nice bloke too. Maybe a little too nice. While letting the leaders through he was maybe too polite, losing time in the process.

In the end it didn’t matter as he passed NL, but it shows the type character he is. In stark contrast look at sex offender chopping up Perez when leading. 

He’ll learn quickly. I’m secretly rooting for him.

During the Notebook, Ted Kravitz said something about Mazepin’s race engineer trying to take responsibility for the blue flag offence. Supposedly he said it was his fault for not warning Mazepin that Perez was coming up behind.

I’d love to hear a recording of that from the horse’s mouth. It’s massive bullshit and you can only assume that if he did say it, it was under some duress from Daddy Mazepin… or his ‘associates’.

8 hours ago, ryodi said:

I think you're being harsh on Bottas. He had the usual garbage Mercedes pit stop (3.3s compared to 2.5 for Hamilton) which left him at he mercy of Max whose hard tyres were already up to temp. Mercedes even warned Hamilton on the radio it would take half a lap for the tyres to get to temp and Bottas probably would have stayed ahead if he'd had a decent pit stop but he was closing the gap to Max until his engine sensor problem.

He shouldn’t really have been able to pit straight after Max, it’s only because Lewis was so far down the road already that Bottas got to go before him.  He made Lewis do an extra lap on old tyres then still let Max sail past him straight away, he’s not even a decent wingman anymore.

17 hours ago, kiroquai said:

It's been like that since Brundle Vs Senna years ago, can't remember if it was engines or tyres in that instance? Though with the F2 regs, it really shouldn't be the case....

Yeah, even in a spec series, replacing slightly worn in spec components can gain you a few fractions and a few fractions is all you need.

You can require engines last x races but it's difficult to do that for everything else without admin that'd double everyone's budgets.

Missed Apex podcast are saying they have credible inside info that Bottas will not be retained by Mercedes next year. With or without that speculation, I think there's no chance they would anyway. 

6 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

It really is a genuine feel good story and I think everyone involved is going to have really satisfying feeling right up to the moment he crashes.

I am really glad I'd *JUST* finished my cup of tea seconds before reading that because it gave me a hearty, loud and uncontrollable laugh. :lol:

It’s a lovely story an all but what about if he crashes bad again? I know the chances are slim but he’s lucky to be alive he could be a mechanic or advisor to the team and let it go. Am I being harsh thinking of his family?