IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

2 minutes ago, mexos said:

How dare you slag off my story from Dieter Rencken, Racing Lines and Racefans.net

Oh, sorry if I gave that impression as I actually found it most illuminating. I felt sure Merc and the FIA would have sorted all this out over a beer by now and be best buddies again, so I had no idea there was still some tension between them. 

2 hours ago, Baring said:

Seems a bit mad Sainz's lapped cars weren't out of his way to have a go at Max and Ham also. I didnt know that. I thought they were further back. 

Yeah, he was done there. He should have been able to challenge Max for P2. Hell, perhaps he could even have won the race (we know he probably wouldn't have, but there's no reason he shouldn't have had a go).

There's no justification for it other than "Masi was totally focussed on HAM vs VER and it didn't occur to him". 

16 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Yeah, he was done there. He should have been able to challenge Max for P2. Hell, perhaps he could even have won the race (we know he probably wouldn't have, but there's no reason he shouldn't have had a go).

There's no justification for it other than "Masi was totally focussed on HAM vs VER and it didn't occur to him". 

Yeah. I’m assuming that thanks to Horner moaning in his ear (which appeared to flip an earlier decision to not let the cars unlap) he was determined to make sure there was absolutely no way he could be accused of unfairly favouring Hamilton, but ended up gifting the title the other way in the process.

39 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh, sorry if I gave that impression as I actually found it most illuminating. I felt sure Merc and the FIA would have sorted all this out over a beer by now and be best buddies again, so I had no idea there was still some tension between them. 

Not at all, I was just being silly sausage. 

Ive read suggestions that Masi didn’t realise Max had pitted again so thought it would a sort of a fair fight. That of course shouldn’t even be a consideration. Mercedes are going to get some kind of compensation out of the FIA but I expect Max to keep the title from F1’s very own Montreal Screwjob.

24 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

There's absolutely no reason to think Sainz couldn't have had a tilt at the win. If he'd been in the mix, combined with Ham and Max squabbling there could have been an easy win there. Indeed, you might have had him as odds on favourite as he had absolutely nothing to lose. 

It really does annoy me when people compare this to 2008 which is completely different. It was dramatic but not manipulated. The only reason it was a close run thing is that a car tried to brave it out in the wet with dry tyres and eventually became a cropper. It also annoys when people compare it to World Cup 1966 or any big football game where an official got a decision wrong. The opening lap incident is an issue which you could put down to an official making an bad judgement call which absolutely happens in all live sport. The final lap ridiculousness is not an official getting a heat of the moment subjective decision wrong, it is an official making up new rules to try and get an exciting finish. 

It's probably most akin to an offside incident in football where the referee acknowledges that the offside occurred but decides they simply aren't going to follow the rule because it would make the end of the game boring. 

1 minute ago, ryodi said:

Ive read suggestions that Masi didn’t realise Max had pitted again so thought it would a sort of a fair fight. That of course shouldn’t even be a consideration. 

I can believe it. This is an F1 race director who a race ago didn't even know where Ocon was. 

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Where was he? 

From memory so I’m paraphrasing, but we heard Masi offering Red Bull the suggestion that Max would have to take the restart from P2. What he was actually offering was 1 HAM, 2 VER (and 3-20 who cares/don’t know).

Red Bull came back with “We’ll take P2 but only if Ocon is P1.” This was fairly obvious shithousery from them. 

Masi then had to concede that what he meant was Max to start behind Lewis, and then he waffled something about “I mis-spoke”, as it must have been pointed out to him that actually Ocon had gotten through when Lewis was taking his evasive action to avoid getting yeeted into the shadow realm by Max. 

Hence we ended up restarting OCO HAM VER.

Does anyone know how long they are signed up for? I’d maybe assume that the contracts all run to 26 at the maximum but I don‘t know.

EDIT: yeah end of 25.

The latest Concorde Agreement will run for a five-year period, from 2021 to 2025, and is the first completed by F1's new owners Liberty Media, spearheaded by CEO Chase Carey.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.analysis-what-the-new-concorde-agreement-means-for-formula-1.1Z97Z6vRwfDTHVhGbSS510.html

They could go to Indy car with its even more stupid manipulation rules.

I don't think Sainz had a chance to challenge Max. I'm pretty sure he hadn't come in for new tyres and with the best will in the world, the Ferrari isn't up to challenging a Redbull on new super sticky tyres is it. Ok he should have had the chance, but a challenge is a pipe dream, nothing more

47 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ah, I guess in the lead was the last place he expected to find him. 

Reminds me of an IndyCar race a couple of years ago where during a caution Max Chilton ended up in the lead so they kept it yellow for one more lap because they couldn’t work out how that happened.

2 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I don't thing Sainz had a chance to challenge Max. I'm pretty sure he hadn't come in for new tyres and with the best will in the world, the Ferrari isn't up to challenging a Redbull on new super sticky tyres is it. Ok he should have had the chance, but a challenge is a pipe dream, nothing more

Perhaps we could all save ourselves two hours on a Sunday and ask Masi to simply declare the results based on his pre race predictions. 

I think with two squabbling lead cars and if he was right there in the mix he definitely had a chance of doing something, perhaps not winning but jumping Lewis for 2nd. But we'll never know. 

20 minutes ago, RFT said:

Not without getting sued, majorly.

But surely as the FiA have broken there own rules they could argue a case ?

And wouldn't half the grid not being able to compete give them leverage ? They were all going to quit and start there own series not so long back weren't they ?