IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

On 12/12/2021 at 15:15, NexivRed said:

Mercedes chose not to pit based on the rules as they stand. You could tell from what they said that they knew, with only 4 laps to go, that they would not have time to clear Latifi’s car, and unlap all cars before the race ended. 

Keeping track position rather than pitting to go racing was the decision, and it was based on a rule…..that was then changed. 

If Mercedes knew what the end would be, I think they would have also pitted. Because why wouldn’t they. 

This is why I am angry. 

Pretty much exactly what Lando said.  (I just scrolled through 20 pages to find the OP!  I hope Lewis appreciates me.)  

I think we can all see that his cheeky little grin says everythng...

I’ve been trying to imagine how this would go in court. Would Mercedes lawyer get to cross examine Masi? I assume it would go something like “Your ability to override the rules controlling normal safety car procedures - which would likely have seen the race end under the safety car - is clearly so you can react to unforeseen events in the interest of safety. Can you please explain to the court why it would have been so dangerous to proceed as normal, leaving you with no choice but to act as you did?”

10 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

I’ve been trying to imagine how this would go in court. Would Mercedes lawyer get to cross examine Masi? I assume it would go something like “Your ability to override the rules controlling normal safety car procedures - which would likely have seen the race end under the safety car - is clearly so you can react to unforeseen events in the interest of safety. Can you please explain to the court why it would have been so dangerous to proceed as normal, leaving you with no choice but to act as you did?”

So many ways for Mercedes to cause embarrassment. 

You concluded that as Race Director you had authority to override the written rules regarding the deployment of the safety car. The same rules also give you ultimate control over the starting procedure. Should drivers in the future be prepared to start at any point during the traditional 5 light process? 

Or

You removed five lapped cars between Verstappen and Hamilton but not the two lapped cars between Verstappen and Sainz. Do you believe that your decision ultimately unfairly favoured Verstappen over Hamilton and Sainz. If not, why not. 

😂

Has there ever been a situation where the safety car has been called in but then left out? Seems like something I might have seen in a wet race where someone else span off before they got going again. If so that would be killer argument against the “when the safety car has been called in it has to come in that lap” point.

I can see how 48.13 could be considered to allow him to pit the safety car on the same lap that unlapped cars have passed I don't see what rule allows him to just arbitrarily decide that a set number of unlapped cars can go passed.

Essentially what bit allows him to change this message to 'these specfic lapped cars many now overtake':

If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.

4 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

😂

Has there ever been a situation where the safety car has been called in but then left out? Seems like something I might have seen in a wet race where someone else span off before they got going again. If so that would be killer argument against the “when the safety car has been called in it has to come in that lap” point.

EDIT: My below is probably wrong as that is resuming a race after a suspension, but I imagine there is something like that somewhere else in the rules.

Probably covered by 51.10 c

51.10 The safety car will enter the pits after one lap unless: a) The sprint qualifying session or the race is being resumed in wet conditions and the Race Director deems more than one lap necessary, in which case see Article 24.4o). b) All cars are not yet in a line behind the safety car. c) A further incident occurs necessitating another intervention.

28 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

😂

Wasn’t it about to come in when Grosjean put it into the wall at Baku in 2018?

If Mercedes did take their appeal onwards, a further question they may wish to raise is:

Mr Masi, at the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix you said the following:

“Quite simply that one was the fact that we had to: there’s a requirement in the sporting regulations, to wave all lapped cars past.

So I think from that point, it was position six onwards that was still running. So 10, 11 cars, that had to unlap themselves, and therefore the safety car period was a bit longer than what we would have normally expected.”

Given that the sporting regulations regulating lapped cars has not changed, was your understanding of the sporting regulations incorrect at Eifel 2020 or was it incorrect in Abu Dhabi 2021. 

2 hours ago, MrPogo said:

😂

Incidents under the safety car happen but I don't think I'm aware of one in F1 where an incident happened between the lights going off and it going into the pits.

Very, very shortly afterwards certainly, Mugello 2020 being the obvious recent one.

17 minutes ago, wev said:

I thought he'd already been knighted? Is there a difference between a Knight and a Knight Bachelor?

The first time he was supposed to be knighted a butler tripped in front of Charles just as he was about to touch the sword on Lewis's shoulder and the butler was knighted instead. 

35 minutes ago, wev said:

I thought he'd already been knighted? Is there a difference between a Knight and a Knight Bachelor?

I think although it was announced about a year ago the ceremony hadn’t taken place yet. From what I can work there are several variations of Knight, with Knight Bachelor being the variety most “civilians” get, with the other categories mainly being for military or governmental sort of achievements (like a diplomat would probably end up as a Knight of The order of St Michael and St George).

1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

An F1 article appeared on my newsfeed written by someone calling themselves thejudge13, I'd advise not giving it the time of day, it's a horribly smug and racist piece of writing.

I remember I used to read that site occasionally for sub tabloid tier gossip that you wouldn’t see anywhere else, but that article is pretty much openly racist.