IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

2 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Did Lewis have any foundation for claiming it was dangerous driving, or was he just stressed out / working the refs?

The latter. If it was anything, it was borderline leaving the track and gaining an advantage over those yellow lines. But dangerous? Come on, they're racing in one of the most dangerous motorsports out there!

The bit I couldn't work out was where Hamilton was adjudged to have let Max catch up with him after it happened so any advantage was cancelled out. Was that meant to have happened after he returned to the track? It seemed like Hamilton had to either leave the track as he did or accept a crash, which would have benefitted Max given neither driver finishing would have given him the win.

Thinking about it after the race it felt like the way I drove on the rare occasion I have played an F1 game :lol: firing up the inside, braking late and accepting whatever happened because all the penalties and damage was turned off :lol: actually, that's pretty much how Verstappen drives isn't it, like arcade mode is turned on? The fantastic, maniac that he is!

4 hours ago, morcs said:

It'll be completely new cars anyway though? So they'll all be able to rake as much/little as they like?

I remember at the start of this season when Merc were struggling a bit, the suggestion was they were focusing so much on next years car (2022) and what they were running for 2021 was basically something with very little investment.  So they were acting really unsurprised that Red Bull were so close.

21 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

The bit I couldn't work out was where Hamilton was adjudged to have let Max catch up with him after it happened so any advantage was cancelled out. Was that meant to have happened after he returned to the track? It seemed like Hamilton had to either leave the track as he did or accept a crash, which would have benefitted Max given neither driver finishing would have given him the win.

Thinking about it after the race it felt like the way I drove on the rare occasion I have played an F1 game :lol: firing up the inside, braking late and accepting whatever happened because all the penalties and damage was turned off :lol: actually, that's pretty much how Verstappen drives isn't it, like arcade mode is turned on? The fantastic, maniac that he is!

Yeah, that looked a copy of Monza and Brazil, where Hamilton would have been justified in staying on track (because everyone always said you have to leave a cars width prior to this weekend, but seem to have completely forgotten about it now) but would have been taken out because of it.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I haven't seen any of that here.  Although only 3 of us here even wanted Max to win and only 2 are fans.

I'm most annoyed tbh we'll never know if Max could have passed 5 + Lewis because fuck me I want to see that lap.

Yeah, I’ve not seen it here, but everywhere else on the internet! 

Quite a controversial and divisive incident, this one. Instead, let's look at something we can all enjoy:

10dd5cf41022e73c2e66a55432b09bce.jpg

A picture of Olivier Grouillard in the 1989 Ligier JS33 Ford.

Interesting fact: Olivier Grouillard is @Meers' 17th favourite Formula One driver of all-time, just behind Jan Lammers.

I'm still struggling to believe what happend. It was the equivalent of a referee in a world cup final just randomly awarding a penalty to one team (when the ball had actually just ricocheted out for a corner) in the last minute "because the fans want to see goals".

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

I'm still struggling to believe what happend. It was the equivalent of a referee in a world cup final just randomly awarding a penalty to one team in the last minute because the fans want to see goals.

Whilst also changing the position of the penalty spot for good measure. 

6 hours ago, Bleeders said:

Max was fully deserving of the WDC as was Lewis. But I'd rather they'd have come together to be honest and not let the race director influence the outcome by giving Max the Mario Kart equivalent of a blue shell and making the race a 1v1 over 1 lap. Really was the equivalent of next goal wins when the other side are 10-0 up and the losing side bring on a host of World Class players.

Max was second best yesterday. He knew it, Red Bull knew it. Thanking Latifi was classless from Horner to be honest considering the lad is likely to get an absolute kicking online now. It made me think, probably not a smart observation, but what would stop that happening in the future? For example, a Championship rival deliberately having their other driver trashing the car or for it to develop a 'problem' in order to force a SC to close up the gap? Do the FIA investigate car issues at all or do they take it at face value?

You know Perez was the joker in the pack with his 'engine is expiring' bs. He would have parked it up on track if Latifi hadn't binned it. They asked him to retire in the pits to not extend the SC.  

7 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm still struggling to believe what happend. It was the equivalent of a referee in a world cup final just randomly awarding a penalty to one team (when the ball had actually just ricocheted out for a corner) in the last minute "because the fans want to see goals".

'Next goal counts double' when one team is trailing, just to keep it interesting at the end.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.explained-understanding-one-of-the-most-chaotic-controversial-title.4B98awxwP7JPgBWxIt5KnL.html

At this point, Mercedes thought they’d won the title, because the regulations state that after cars are allowed to overtake the Safety Car, the Safety Car will come in at the end of the following lap (i.e. at the end of the final lap, so there would be just one racing corner).

Instead, race control decided to bring the Safety Car in immediately, to ensure the Grand Prix could finish with an entire racing lap.

Even the official website isn’t hiding that the fix was in.

1 hour ago, MrPogo said:

Yeah, that looked a copy of Monza and Brazil, where Hamilton would have been justified in staying on track (because everyone always said you have to leave a cars width prior to this weekend, but seem to have completely forgotten about it now) but would have been taken out because of it.

It seems to be car’s width on entry, but the car on the inside is allowed to squeeze on exit

It would have undoubtedly have been better for all concerned if Masi had stuck to convention but I do have some sympathy towards him for wanting the last race of such a momentous season to finish as a race rather than behind the safety car. He could have achieved that without controversy by not allowing any lapped cars to pass as he originally decreed, yes? Why he changed that plan is where things become... confusing. 

21 minutes ago, Angles Morts said:

'Next goal counts double' when one team is trailing, just to keep it interesting at the end.

Nah, that's fucking weak. You'd have to adapt it on the fly - if one team is ahead by five, next goal is worth six. It's the only way to keep people watching!

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

It would have undoubtedly have been better for all concerned if Masi had stuck to convention but I do have some sympathy towards him for wanting the last race of such a momentous season to finish as a race rather than behind the safety car. He could have achieved that without controversy by not allowing any lapped cars to pass as he originally decreed, yes? Why he changed that plan is where things become... confusing. 

I think that he was desperate to avoid the title being decided under a safety car and completely crumbled under the pressure.  Or panicked or whatever.  I don't believe in the idea of a fix, when we can easily assign it to a total and utter screw up.  Presented with two unpalatable options re: lapping / unlapping he tried a third and it turned out worse.

The simplest way to avoid this is that communications with the Race Director are one-way only.  He tells you the decision.  The only answering back you can do is to clarify the original message in case of it being garbled.  No questions, no complaints, no arguing your case, no nothing. 

55 minutes ago, Blue said:

Why he changed that plan is where things become... confusing. 

To me, accounting for the stress and pressure to act:

Letting the cars behind Max through wouldn’t have affected the key result but would have taken too long, so only letting the win-affecting cars through meant he could stay within the spirit of the un-lapping rule without running out of laps and ending under the safety car.

Obviously we have all the time in the world to work out how badly that would go wrong, but in the moment I think he saw letting some cars through as applying the rule in a way that didn’t mean running out of time.

2 minutes ago, morcs said:

Is it common to restart without letting lapped cars through?

It does happen and is well within the rules and at the discretion of the race director. Decision usually according to track safety considerations.

16 minutes ago, mexos said:

It was crystal clear what the outcome of his actions would be, even to a village idiot like me. And still he did what he did. He created his own result.

I have zero sympathy for him. I want him fucking fired. If social media is giving him shit? Good. I hope it’s enough that he quits or gets removed.

Aaaand breathe. :D

38 minutes ago, morcs said:

Letting the cars behind Max through wouldn’t have affected the key result 

See, I disagree with this. Having Sainz start right behind Max could well have influenced proceedings. 

Having Sainz starting behind lapped cars gave Max an awful lot of breathing room. Imagine Sainz starting right behind Max, playing the same games as Max did and going for the win as he was quite entitled to do. 

There's a reason the procedures exist as they do and it is to ensure sporting fairness to everyone. Start ignoring 18 of the 20 cars when making decisions and you inadvertently can make things easier for one of the two remaining cars you're focused on. 

In hindsight, a red flag, if they were desperate for a fireworks finish, should have been the outcome. But Masi bottled that decision and after it became too late to stick a red flag out he bottled the next decision which was to comply with precedent and likely end the race under a SC. 

1 minute ago, McCoy said:

In hindsight, a red flag, if they were desperate for a fireworks finish, should have been the outcome.

I'd be happy for that to be the set in stone rule where a safety car event looks like it risks the race finishing under safety car. Maybe 10 laps or less to go? It at least lets the leader pit and have fresh tyres without losing track position.