IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

They couldn't let the lapped cars through until the track was clear.  That's the rule.  The track wasn't clear until the point at which they let [i]some[/i] of them through.  There was no option to let them through any earlier.  

Masi made a decision to disregard the rules in favour of artificially creating a spectacle.  Hamilton was absolutely, clearly, and obviously robbed by Masi.  I know you're a Verstappen fan and are entitled to celebrate his world championship*, but to try to argue that it was just bad luck that screwed Hamilton is absurd.

Nah, luck is very often another human decided something or deciding to do something.  Most luck really.

Unless you're saying Red Bull convinced Masi better than Mercedes did and then it's not even luck, it's just part of the game.

Just now, Bleeders said:

Have free pit stops always been a thing under yellow/red flags?

They're not "free" under yellow, just massively cheaper and yeah as long as there's been SCs, VSCs or even local yellows that's true to one degree or another.

The red flag thing is newish, you used to be able to not even touch the car but the worry is teams would take damage and then leave almost certainly dangerous parts on because they couldn't afford to lose the time.

I really hope this lights a bigger fire inside Hamilton and he comes back with a proper "dont ever fucking doubt me" attitude, he'll never win everyone round to him being the "GOAT", some due to varying factors between generations, some due to a disliking of the man, amongst other things, but Lewis finishing 2nd and coming back to go again to get "his title" back will be immense.

3 minutes ago, wev said:

I really hope this lights a bigger fire inside Hamilton and he comes back with a proper "dont ever fucking doubt me" attitude, he'll never win everyone round to him being the "GOAT", some due to varying factors between generations, some due to a disliking of the man, amongst other things, but Lewis finishing 2nd and coming back to go again to get "his title" back will be immense.

He is an amazing racing duvet and an even better human being. But he will only ever be second to Micheal Schumacher in my mind.

1 minute ago, wev said:

Lewis is the GOAT as far as I'm concerned. What he achieved this year was truly incredible. He has no weaknesses as far as I can see. 

4 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Final top 5 from this year’s really well-subscribed Fantasy F1 championship. After being runner-up last year I’ll take third this season!

D50E8175-54BE-4586-A343-41B1E89F23E4.thumb.jpeg.7123bd2754e7b01d2e9cb60ffac3c731.jpeg

Congrats to David on taking Tony’s crown :)

Did I win last year? I thought I did quite badly. I’m not at my PC to do a full post of the results but it’s been fun. I’ll set up a new one on the restart for 22.

3 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Final top 5 from this year’s really well-subscribed Fantasy F1 championship. After being runner-up last year I’ll take third this season!

D50E8175-54BE-4586-A343-41B1E89F23E4.thumb.jpeg.7123bd2754e7b01d2e9cb60ffac3c731.jpeg

Congrats to David on taking Tony’s crown :)

This brings up another question for me, how is this all handled from a gambling point of view with people betting on the winner of the race/title, and the integrity related to that.

They'll pay out on the actual winners.

If they want the marketing they might choose to do something else but there's no betting integrity here unless it's discovered Masi had made a bet and even then it won't change the result just get him charged with some things.

Just now, bradigor said:

He is an amazing racing duvet and an even better human being. But he will only ever be second to Micheal Schumacher in my mind.

I'm in the cant compare camp.

Never saw Clark, Stewart, Hill, Fangio (amongst others like Cevert, Pryce, WIlliamson, Rindt) race so cant comment

Prost's best years were slightly before my time

Senna blew me away (but Alesi was always my favourite)

Schumacher was a machine, his Benneton years were touchy, and theres a reflection of him and how he was treated in Max today, but once he was at Ferrari and he'd got Brawn etc into the team with him, all the money Ferrari threw at it, all the testing they were able to do, the relationship they had with Bridgestone, it was an engineered storm in a tea cup and alot of F1 fans, especially fans who joined up during those years, don't realise that that wasnt the real Ferrari (and I fell out of love with them during that time)

I'm not a fan of Alonso, very skilled, but trouble just follows him everywhere

Hamilton has turned all that raw talent and ridiculous pace, fine tuned it over the years, smoothed over the edges and is very nearly the complete package but unlike some of the above has moments of self doubt that makes him human.

Of course, this would all be null and void if Frank Williams hadnt fucked Jean Alesi about

Just now, Dudley said:

They'll pay out on the actual winners.

If they want the marketing they might choose to do something else but there's no betting integrity here unless it's discovered Masi had made a bet and even then it won't change the result just get him charged with some things.

I get that i mean more from random people looking to place a bet and then going.... wait actually there is no guarantee any of the rules are actually going to be followed...

3 minutes ago, humdrum said:

This brings up another question for me, how is this all handled from a gambling point of view with people betting on the winner of the race/title, and the integrity related to that.

Paddy Power paid out for both. 

Just now, wev said:

I'm in the cant compare camp.

Never saw Clark, Stewart, Hill, Fangio (amongst others like Cevert, Pryce, WIlliamson, Rindt) race so cant comment

Prost's best years were slightly before my time

Senna blew me away (but Alesi was always my favourite)

Schumacher was a machine, his Benneton years were touchy, and theres a reflection of him and how he was treated in Max today, but once he was at Ferrari and he'd got Brawn etc into the team with him, all the money Ferrari threw at it, all the testing they were able to do, the relationship they had with Bridgestone, it was an engineered storm in a tea cup and alot of F1 fans, especially fans who joined up during those years, don't realise that that wasnt the real Ferrari (and I fell out of love with them during that time)

I'm not a fan of Alonso, very skilled, but trouble just follows him everywhere

Hamilton has turned all that raw talent and ridiculous pace, fine tuned it over the years, smoothed over the edges and is very nearly the complete package but unlike some of the above has moments of self doubt that makes him human.

Of course, this would all be null and void if Frank Williams hadnt fucked Jean Alesi about

You are right that you can't compare. Even with records, as points, number of races, etc are different.

Schumacher is my sporting hero so I know I am unashamedly biased 

6 minutes ago, humdrum said:

I get that i mean more from random people looking to place a bet and then going.... wait actually there is no guarantee any of the rules are actually going to be followed...

Well you can literally bet on WWE so...

6 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Paddy Power paid out for both. 

Paddy are kings of "false" payouts for marketing.

7 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I'm really struggling with what a shame the ending to the season ended up being. I did want Hamilton to win but had Max dominated the race and won he'd have absolutely been a worthy champion - he's been fantastic all year. 

It is just a hard pill to swallow that Lewis dominated the race, didn't put a thought wrong, made the correct strategy decisions and then it was all taken away through a bizarre decision. I don't blame Red Bull, you can only play the hand your dealt but all existing precedent with the safety car would have seen the race end after it - which frankly would have been the just result. 

There was no need to throw out precedent and the rules to create a final one lap race, particularly when the drivers had such different tyres fitted. 

Safety cars bunch up the pack and sometimes you get a lucky pit stop - I get all of that and it is part of F1. But to seemingly engineer a scenario purely to give us a final lap excitement because it is the last race of the year just seems very artificial and unfair. Even when they selectively told some cars that they could unlap themselves (which was mega strange since this directly affects the sporting fairness to the cars not allowed to unlap themselves) I've never seen it happen and then the safety car go in so quickly. Usually it is at least a lap between cars unlapping themselves and the race restarting. If you want to engineer a race ending under a 'racing' situation then it should really only happen if it will maintain the 'fair' result. If your shinanigans is going to massively twist the race result then just end it under the safety which is what we all largely expected. 

I dunno. It all just leaves a very sour taste. There's a lot of soul searching for the FIA to do next year but chief among it should, in my opinion, removing this sense that the race director is there to help the spectacle. No, the Race Director is there to keep everyone safe and to follow rules and precedent. They should not care if the final lap of the season is a racing lap or a safety car lap they should simply care that they have done their job properly. Ironically, Masi's attempt to engineer drama seems to have backfired massively. By following precedent, be it usual safety car period, red flag etc. then whoever wins has won it within the confines of what we expect to happen in F1. By engineering this half way house approach just to get in a single racing lap has only resulted in the whole sport being brought into disrepute and a race winner who never ever looked in contention of winning before the SC. In that context I really do think Masi will reflect on all this and realise he really shat the bed with his decisions. 

It is a massive shame that a fantastic season has left almost everyone with such a shitty feeling. I feel so sorry for Max even, to win your first championship under such circumstances and recriminations is horrible. Both Hamilton and Max, whoever won, deserved a proper celebration of their win since they have both excelled this year. Instead we're all left dealing with this shitty mess of a result. 

Nice post. +1

8 minutes ago, SMD said:

Fuck Michael Masi and fuck this pathetic excuse for a sport.

Zero integrity and credibility. I'm not watching another race, hope Merc drag Red Bull, the FIA and Max Zwarte Piete through the mud.

FIA and Masi sure, but not Red Bull or Max. It’s their job to do the best with what they are given. It’s not their issue that Masi fucked up big time.

Just now, T Pot said:

FIA and Masi sure, but not Red Bill or Max. It’s their job to do the best with what they are given. It’s not their issue that Masi fucked up big time.

I'd counter that with Red Bull, Horner, Marko, the Verstappens etc all played a big part in how this farce has played out with all the fucking panto nonsense, but the same also applies to Mercedes, Wolff, to some extent Hamilton (though to a lesser extent than his rival)

Just now, wev said:

I'd counter that with Red Bull, Horner, Marko, the Verstappens etc all played a big part in how this farce has played out with all the fucking panto nonsense, but the same also applies to Mercedes, Wolff, to some extent Hamilton (though to a lesser extent than his rival)

Horner and Marco have always been shit stirrers. It’s always been easy to ignore it.

This or a similar situation was inevitable due to Masi and the FIA all year. Their constant rule tweaks, wishy washy rulings, being unclear on guidance, they created this situation with awful awful management all season long.