IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

Just now, GwiDan said:

Ross Brawn made a big fuss that he was going to rewrite all the rules, but he sort of just gave up. 

You don’t need to when the Race Director can just freestyle them and 15.3 means it’s all legal according to the FIA.

10 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Anyone who thought the result was going to change was living in dream land. No way that was ever going to happen and if Mercedes appeal it won't get them anywhere. 

appeal then pull out with a statement that it isn’t a sport.

Will catch up on the thread after posting this, as per.

Well pissed off, avoided evertthing all day, only to discover my TiVo didnt record the live coverage because its “Live: Formula 1” rather than “Formula 1” or some shit, then Steve Jones opens up the highlights show with “we’re still waiting to hear from the teams, theyre with the stewards after the most controversial finish to an f1 season ever” then straight into the race. I didnt want to know any fucking thing, so now I’ve gone into the race knowing something happened. To top it off they condensed the race to about 25 minutes.

Lap 1 incident is, to me, a bit Boy Who Cried Wolf, Max has pulled those moves all most of his career, has mostly been allowed to do it, but there was always going to be a pivotal moment where it bit him. Typical Verstappen and typical FIA picking how they deal with it all seemingly at random, quite unfair on Verstappen.

Checo earned his money today.

What the fuck went on with lapped cars not being allowed to overtake, then them changing it again? Maybe Dudley was right about the Stewards fixing things (prior to the race), ffs :lol:

Masi has to go

Max weaving wasnt on either.

What an absolute fucking shit show this season has been, all for that Netflix drama

I don't follow F1 but chased the hype on this one so watched it this afternoon.

I don't understand how someone can lead the entire race, be 10-12 seconds ahead of someone who was not catching him with five or six laps to go, and then following a crash neither he nor his rival were involved in, end up with a situation whereby the car in second place gets to change to fresh tyres and, also, have all the cars he would have had to pass removed from the equation. I know those cars were obliged to move aside but still, they might well have been in the way enough for Hamilton to get back enough of his previous advantage and win the race. Why are the cars not in the order they were in before the incident and why does the leader have his time advantage removed. It seems a lot like the leader is being penalised very heavily for something that is entirely ut of his hands.

I was also confused by how the advice to the teams changed so suddenly with just a couple of laps to go before the restart. It all seems very shady, distinctly unreasonable, and extremely amateurish. I'm quite sure he hasn't but it would not be at all hard for an outsider to assume the race director had been paid off.

Also, that commentator who never shuts up and seems to scream everything is deeply annoying. 

6 minutes ago, jonamok said:

How it ended was so bad, it feels like I wasted about 66 hours of my time this year. 

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. It's one of the things in life that brings me joy. So this matters to me, probably more than it should. I am very glad it's now a long time till the next season as I don't think I could stomach it any time soon. It's just very sad. 

4 minutes ago, mexos said:

At best its incompetence from the Race Director and not knowing the rules. 

Or did he? If Article 15.3 means he can control the safety car and any rules relating to it then he ran right by the regulations and therefore the result stands.

Of course if that's true then any other rules relating to the safety car should be null and void completely.

From someone who is a fairly casual F1 watcher, follower and fan, It seems clear that they wanted to cash in on the hype around how close the title race was going into the last race of the season and didn't want it to end under a safety car for all the "new fans".

but what they have done I fear is loose those new fans due to the "hey we changed the rules" but its fine we have a rule that says we can change the rules.

What I do find strange is all the people going "you can't take it off Max as he did nothing wrong" while seeming to completely ignore the fact that the same applies to Lewis.

2 minutes ago, mexos said:

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. It's one of the things in life that brings me joy. So this matters to me, probably more than it should. I am very glad it's now a long time till the next season as I don't think I could stomach it any time soon. It's just very sad. 

This. It’s weirdly less about the result & more I’m just gutted for a sport I love & have followed for 25 years going down the tube.

3 minutes ago, sixbuttons said:

Or did he? If Article 15.3 means he can control the safety car and any rules relating to it then he ran right by the regulations and therefore the result stands.

Of course if that's true then any other rules relating to the safety car should be null and void completely.

yeah; if you’re not going to follow them, you could delete 90 pages of the regulations and just leave “whatever leads to the most column inches”

3 minutes ago, humdrum said:

What I do find strange is all the people going "you can't take it off Max as he did nothing wrong" while seeming to completely ignore the fact that the same applies to Lewis.

it’s only Max/red bull fans. Twelve seconds down, five laps to go, having pulled back two second over the previous fifteen. outfought.

52 minutes ago, sprite said:

This is how I feel.  I still pay for Sky Sports F1, I have some discount on it coz I've got movies too (after the whole crazy thing where my "lifetime F1 HD for £10/month" turned out to be a lie) but they're both going now.

Mine has gone already. Don't see the point if you can't be sure what the rules in play are at crucial moments, which are guaranteed to happen in motorsports.

I still find it an odd rule that, after the race is slowed down for a crash, the cars do not restart in the same order as before the crash.

I get the controversy when it is only the cars in front of Verstappen that had to move out of the way rather than some of the ones behind him that they said should also have moved forward as that looks really very dodgy and shambolic but the whole rule seems a tad unfair on whoever is leading the race. I know nothing about F1 so maybe there is some sense to it but, to an outsider, it seems a bit crap.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

They do restart in the same order.

They don't though as the 4 or 5 cars between Verstappen and Hamilton moved past the front and to the back of the field which left Verstappen right alongside Hamilton instead of having those cars to lap.  And that is without the other lapped cars being overlooked.

It also seems like it'd be a bit fairer and more reasonable to insist that the cars restart at the gap they had prior to the safety car.  As things are it seems that Hamilton (in this case but it could be anyone) is penalised pretty heavily for an incident entirely out of his hands which may well be the rules but still seem pretty shite. He lost a 10-12 second advantage to a driver who was never catching him, and who had the potential hassle of passing back markers removed.

Anyways, it seems a very poor way to end a World Championship.

6 minutes ago, Mike S said:

They don't though as the 4 or 5 cars between Verstappen and Hamilton moved past the front and to the back of the field which left Verstappen right alongside Hamilton instead of having those cars to lap.

No, they are already lapped.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

No, they are already lapped.

I am talking about their physical position on the track though.

That is what is being shifted and it, to an outsider, seems unreasonable as it removes any chance of the second running car suffering any slowdown at all when lapping them (I know they have to move over but it must still be a potential hassle) which may well have been the case for the car ahead but it also allows, in this case, the second place car to remove an 11 second deficit and that seems like a pretty shitty rule. Given how many of them kept saying that they wanted the drivers to race it seems a series of situations/rules that removes an element of racing and boosts a driver who was behind.