IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

I had a mate over for the race. We switched off the TV after the chequered and went for a walk so I am only now catching up on the aftermath. It was good for the soul to decompress.

It is a huge, huge pity that it's ended this way. I would have almost preferred one of them to knock the other off. Masi absolutely screwed the whole fucking thing up. So now we go through months of legal challenge which will result in nothing and the whole thing leaves a very bitter taste. What a shame for everyone involved.

2 minutes ago, Myron said:

As it stands Mercedes and Lewis have been punished for the rules not being followed.

It depends on how much discretion the FIA afford the race director to run the race as he thinks best and that's no doubt a big part of the discussions. 

Stewards' verdict expected tonight

The latest from Sky Sports News' Craig Slater in Abu Dhabi

"My understanding is we should get a verdict here from the stewards here tonight within the next half an hour.

"I think there is an understanding that this needs to be done tonight after the race was held. It's bad enough that it's dragging on several hours after the race concluded so that should come pretty soon.

"The question is what happens after that. There is an appeals process if Mercedes or Red Bull are not happy with the decision. The loser in this case has the option to go to the FIA's Court of Appeal - but there's a cut-off for that and it's quite soon as well.

"Thursday is the FIA Prize Giving ceremony and any appeal would have to be heard and decided upon by Thursday because there is no recourse after the trophy has been handed over to the world champion."

Closing ranks is what they will do with some hand wavey crap. There is no way they can allow the result to change. There is not enough egg in the world for that situation.

And I guess it won't really matter. It's all tainted now.

In a decade it won't matter. Probably not in a few years. But in the short term it's going to be bad press. I don't think it will be reported as the triumphant toppling of a dominant Merc or Hamilton they they wanted. It will be the old boys club of F1 being a bunch of fuck ups as usual.

1 minute ago, mexos said:

The only thing I can see that would be remotely fair to all parties would be to re-run the race.

And there is no way that will happen either. 

Taking the result back to one lap earlier is the fairest outcome surely. That’s what the rules required and Ham was so far ahead there’s no question Max was going to catch and pass him without the safety car. 

This is a massive own goal by the FIA. It didn’t need to happen if they’d just followed their own rules. 

1 minute ago, mexos said:

The only thing I can see that would be remotely fair to all parties would be to re-run the race.

And there is no way that will happen either. 

Depends how you look at it; whilst cruel to take it away, Max should never have had the opportunity to challenge again in the first place.