IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

Stewards will do nothing about the "Max overtook under safety car" protest, it's stupid, and Merc look very petty on that one.

Pretty sure there is a rule that states that the lead car, when it becomes the safety car isn't allowed to continually pull away and back off, which is exactly what Lewis was doing.

There were some injustices in what happened, that isn't one of them!

It won't get overturned, the mistake / rule that was broken was by the FIA, not by the drivers or the teams. 

Max did nothing wrong, they won't take a championship, or even a win away from a driver who won on track with a fair overtake, under unfair circumstances caused by the boardroom screwing it up.

2 minutes ago, Corranga said:

It won't get overturned, the mistake / rule that was broken was by the FIA, not by the drivers or the teams. 

Max did nothing wrong, they won't take a championship, or even a win away from a driver who won on track with a fair overtake, under unfair circumstances caused by the boardroom screwing it up.

I think they would any other race of the season - probably roll it back one lap or something - as that last lap simply wasn’t carried out under the rules, but really really won’t want to change the title race itself.

1 minute ago, Corranga said:

They counted back a lap in Canada a few years ago when the chequered flag flew one lap early. It didn’t change the result but it can happen.

3 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I agree with this, though it’s obviously open to such blatant abuse from an officiating bad actor.

I wonder if the scenario had played out the same in race 1 would Masi have made the same fudge call, or let it end under the safety car...

11 minutes ago, Baring said:

Serious chat this’ll get overturned. I hope not. Lewis wouldn’t want that. Merc and RB both won a championship today. Both can celebrate their season. Roll on next season. 

Only Lewis has lost out but he won’t be too down about it. 

Whatever happens now it's an absolute shitshow of an ending.

Still, rules must mean *something*

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

I agree with this, though it’s obviously open to such blatant abuse from an officiating bad actor.

I wonder if the scenario had played out the same in race 1 would Masi have made the same fudge call? 

No, he panicked and screwed up. Rules need a change. Maybe if there is a SC finish a minimum of two more racing laps must be completed. So would turn this one into a 60lap reeve instead of 58. 

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

They counted back a lap in Canada a few years ago when the chequered flag flew one lap early. It didn’t change the result but it can happen.

I remember that, but there is a huge difference between some idiot celebrity waving a flag and ending the race 1 lap earlier as the rules state the chequered flag = the end, and the stewards making a call, and then later deciding it wasn't the right call and so overturning their own decision.

I expect the (unofficial line) will be the referees decision is final.

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

No, he panicked and screwed up. Rules need a change. Maybe if there is a SC finish a minimum of two more racing laps must be completed. So would turn this one into a 60lap reeve instead of 58. 

Can't do that. Fuel.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Doesn't Nascar have refuelling?

Yes, which is how they can have the "Green White Checker" as they call it.

3 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Wouldn't they save fuel under the safety car?

You can't assume it'll be enough though.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

In an attempt to engineer a spectacle by ignoring the rules, they've created a situation where it's going to end up being decided in the courts, as the beaten team (quite justifiably) can say, "hang on, you ignored the rules."

This is Masi's fault, completely.  

If the rules had been followed to the letter, the race would have ended under the safety car as there wouldn't have been time to let all the lapped cars unlap themselves and still to get a lap in. The alternative would have been to not let any cars unlap themselves, which would have been a fudge in itself, but at least one that is partly within the rules.  The idea of letting some of the cars unlap themselves falls completely outside the rules.  There were two options and they chose option three. Of course it's going to end up going to court.  The fact that they botched the timing of the safety car's exit, thus giving Maclaren an even more clear cut rules breach to protest is very typical of F1.

All this to avoid the season ending under a safety car. That would have been a damn squib for sure, but I'd love to ask Masi, "Is this better?"

Completely this. 

Red flag when accident happens? Within the rules, cars fight it out on the restart - Max may have got it on the restart but the result would have been respected and within the rules. 

Let all cars unlap, fine and within rules, let no cars unlap I think this is within the rules. Let Car X unlap but not car Y? Crazy decision. Car Y has a legitimate complaint that such a call killed their race. 

End under safety car - fine, not that exciting but nothing wrong with that. 

We just got a fudge and a nonsense decision to try and create artificial drama. 

I enjoyed the live coverage on Channel 4 - which was basically the Sky broadcast, devoid of the usual David "Tyres" Coulthard bore, and that other twonk that does the presenting that doesn't know that much. If they join the Sky team at any point, cancel your subscription!